Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordofokra
Aug 6, 2005

approach light speed and break apart
To give some closure (and props to Motorcycle Superstore sort of), Closeouts shipped today and so did Superstore.

Superstore said there was a problem with Google Checkout and my order was just sitting there. They said I could pay over the phone again or they could just cancel the order and I could order it online. After telling them I ordered it early so I'd have it before vacation on 6/16, the girl talked to her supervisor and gave me free 2-day shipping. I'm double charged right now but the other charge should be disappearing.

I'll post in a few days with all my new gear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

lordofokra posted:

I'm double charged right now but the other charge should be disappearing.

:allears: Oh to be young and innocent again.

;)

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

I'm looking for a normal looking boot for running errands/joy riding, and have narrowed it down to these two:

http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/icon/field_armor_motorcycle_boots.html

http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/icon/field_armor_chukka_motorcycle_boots.html

I like the idea of shin armor, but I don't know how well the zippered closure would hold up on the tall boot.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

lwoodio posted:

I'm looking for a normal looking boot for running errands/joy riding, and have narrowed it down to these two:

http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/icon/field_armor_motorcycle_boots.html

http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/icon/field_armor_chukka_motorcycle_boots.html

I like the idea of shin armor, but I don't know how well the zippered closure would hold up on the tall boot.

I have the Icon Super Duty 3 boots (am wearing them right now in fact) and I can confirm they are comfortable for all day wearing and walking. I'd imagine the two you linked would be the same.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

frozenphil posted:

I have the Icon Super Duty 3 boots (am wearing them right now in fact) and I can confirm they are comfortable for all day wearing and walking. I'd imagine the two you linked would be the same.

ooh I like the brown ones.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Armacham posted:

no one on the internet actually has anything technically in stock unless they have an actual storefront. Everything is shipped from supplier warehouses to their warehouse when you order it, then its shipped to you. Sometimes its even just dropshipped, which is why you'l get like 4 boxes of stuff from a single order

I figured this when I was looking at a pair of gloves and every single site online had them for a price within a dollar of each other and the backorder/in-stock statuses were exactly the same for each! That does give a big advantage to BikeBandit.com since they give you a 10% discount on everything with an AMA membership. It's saved me quite a bit on tires.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Oh, and...

http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/tcx/x_square_all_purpose_motorcycle_boot.html

Are these boots decent? I want something for commuting and a bit of twisty-riding, and it needs to be reasonably priced. The reviews I've seen for TCX/Oxtar have been generally positive.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Radbot posted:

Oh, and...

http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/tcx/x_square_all_purpose_motorcycle_boot.html

Are these boots decent? I want something for commuting and a bit of twisty-riding, and it needs to be reasonably priced. The reviews I've seen for TCX/Oxtar have been generally positive.

It's just a normal shoe...I'd stay away from anything that's crossover for driving and motorcycles, as the protection that you need in a boot for motorcycling is going to be somewhat restrictive.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Z3n posted:

It's just a normal shoe...I'd stay away from anything that's crossover for driving and motorcycles, as the protection that you need in a boot for motorcycling is going to be somewhat restrictive.

Good point. I realize though that I'm not going to wear a full MX style boot, even if I tell myself I'm going to now... I want it to be something I can justify pulling on for a 30 minute ride. Is there a good compromise boot for me?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Radbot posted:

Good point. I realize though that I'm not going to wear a full MX style boot, even if I tell myself I'm going to now... I want it to be something I can justify pulling on for a 30 minute ride. Is there a good compromise boot for me?

The gear that you'll wear is the best gear...some of the icon stuff seems reasonably decent for cheaper mid-length boots that are easy to get on and off.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Radbot posted:

There are several options a few posts up from yours.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

frozenphil posted:

There are several options a few posts up from yours.

Whoops, sorry about that. I like the looks/protection combination of the Chukka.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
We all remember me complaining about https://www.motorcycles508.com while trying to get a Scorpion Stinger jacket in RED in SMALL. First they tried to bait and switch me, then just up and cancelled it when I re-ordered after that, so I re-ordered again because they were the last place on the entire internet that seemed to have any smalls.

I called them last week and suddenly they were out of reds entirely, it wasn't even listed on their website or anything anymore, so I called them asking what was up. The guy said 'their supplier was out of red but he could try to get blue for me, I'll call the supplier right now and I'll call you back whether it's yes or no and tell you'. That was last thursday and it's now wednesday. I never got a phone call but just got a shipping confirmation from them saying a red one shipped, but who can really say until it arrives.

In the mean time I'd been continuing to look aroundbecause now I just wanted a small and didn't give a drat what color. Yesterday I stumbled across http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com which seemed to be the other only place on the internet that had smalls, they had a single small in blue and I snapped it up and just figured I would call Motorcycles508 early this morning and cancel my order from them. I got a shipping notification from Rocky Mountain literally an hour after I placed the order and I got a Motorcycles 508 notification at like 6am before I could call them to cancel. Hooray.

:suicide:

Edit: Fedex just unexpectedly dropped off a blue jacket from Motorcycles 508, but the shipping confirmation I was emailed this morning doesn't have tracking info so I can't be sure that they're the same shipment. That probably puts the nail in the coffin of getting a red jacket, but who knows, maybe I'll have 3 jackets by saturday.

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 9, 2010

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

With any luck I'll be getting on a bike very soon, so I need to get me some gear. I really like the aerostich 1-piece suit, but it's way to hot in Baltimore for that yet, so I figure I'll start out with some mesh gear for the moment.

I'm liking these jackets:
http://www.newenough.com/street/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/alpinestars/air_flo_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html
http://www.newenough.com/street/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/alpinestars/t_breeze_air_flo_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html

These pants look fine:
http://www.newenough.com/street/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/alpinestars/air_flo_mesh_motorcycle_pants.html

Gloves:
http://www.newenough.com/street/gloves/street_short_cuff/fieldsheer/ti_air_mesh_2_motorcycle_gloves.html
http://www.newenough.com/street/gloves/street_short_cuff/agv/mayhem_motorcycle_gloves.html
http://www.newenough.com/street/gloves/street_short_cuff/agv/aeromesh_motorcycle_gloves.html

Boots:
http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/sidi/sport_rain_motorcycle_boots.html
http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/sidi/way_rain_motorcycle_boots.html

I'm not going to buy a helmet online since I don't know which brands fit yet. Hopefully I can hit a couple local shops this weekend and find something.

Any opinions on various gear choices?

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Rontalvos posted:

Scorpion Stinger jacket in RED in SMALL.

Yeah that combo is the holy grail since I think it's basically close out on the red/blue. I said gently caress it after looking and calling around. I decided to go the RS taichi route but I'm running into the same problem finding the below color combo in my size.

lordofokra
Aug 6, 2005

Got all my gear today, everything fits great! I have to wait a month before my MSF class starts but I'm really looking forward to it.

If anyone was considering getting any of the pieces I ordered and wanted to know more details / pictures I'll gladly try and help.

Bell Star helmet
Fieldsheer Congo Textile Jacket
Fieldsheer Slip On Pants
Shift Fuel shoes
Joe Rocket Atomic 3.0 gloves

lordofokra fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 9, 2010

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

I wouldn't wear a jacket and overpants to the MSF if you can get away with it. I think you would burn up depending on the weather, because you never get going fast enough or for long enough to get airflow going.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

I have those pants, they're decent, flow a ton of air and are quick to pull on and take off. My problem with them is the knee armor is total crap. It's a thin foam pad thats too small, non-adjustable and in the wrong place for your(my) knee. I still use em though..

For gloves I'd recommend a over the wrist type instead of a short cuff like that.

For the jacket, I wouldn't pay more than $75 or so for a simple mesh jacket. For that price you're looking at you could get a leather jacket. Look in the bargain basement section of new enough for mesh jackets

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lwoodio posted:

I wouldn't wear a jacket and overpants to the MSF if you can get away with it. I think you would burn up depending on the weather, because you never get going fast enough or for long enough to get airflow going.
Agreed. Wear the minimum they require. You won't be going fast enough to do much damage if you fall (I would know).

lordofokra
Aug 6, 2005

Yeah I wasn't gonna wear everything to the MSF, I've read enough stories in the MSF thread about dehydrating

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

aventari posted:

I have those pants, they're decent, flow a ton of air and are quick to pull on and take off. My problem with them is the knee armor is total crap. It's a thin foam pad thats too small, non-adjustable and in the wrong place for your(my) knee. I still use em though..

For gloves I'd recommend a over the wrist type instead of a short cuff like that.

For the jacket, I wouldn't pay more than $75 or so for a simple mesh jacket. For that price you're looking at you could get a leather jacket. Look in the bargain basement section of new enough for mesh jackets

Cool, after I posted that I noticed a FirstGear Rush Mesh Jacket for $59 so I hopped on that and got similar pants from the same brand that will hopefully zip to the jacket. I did end up getting the smaller gloves, but they were only $30 so I'll keep my eye out for a nice pair that cover the wrists and upgrade to those soon. Aerostich makes some really nice ones too, so I'll definitely get some of those when I get one of their suits after the weather cools down a bit.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Why must the NewEnough male model be chubby. I need a pair of slim-fitting pants for my small frame, and he makes it so I can't tell how they're going to fit on me.

Somebody already suggested a pair of Rev'It pants, but I'd like a few more suggestions from my fellow stick-people. I'd rather have a pick of the litter than just buying a pair and hoping I get lucky.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

AncientTV posted:

Why must the NewEnough male model be chubby. I need a pair of slim-fitting pants for my small frame, and he makes it so I can't tell how they're going to fit on me.

Somebody already suggested a pair of Rev'It pants, but I'd like a few more suggestions from my fellow stick-people. I'd rather have a pick of the litter than just buying a pair and hoping I get lucky.

I'd advise looking at Women's pants, as long as you can get something that isn't pink and sparkly. I'm a similar size to you (6'0" and ~155lbs, 36" chest, 29.5" waist and 33-34" inseam), and ever since I've started trying on stuff in the Women's section, I'm finding stuff that fits WAY better.

In terms of pants, I wear Olympia Airglide 2 pants in Women's size 10. They're not exactly slim-fitting, more touring-oriented, but you can layer well under them and they unzip all the way to the hip. Very fast and practical to get on and off for everyday commuting.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Tsaven Nava posted:

I'd advise looking at Women's pants, as long as you can get something that isn't pink and sparkly. I'm a similar size to you (6'0" and ~155lbs, 36" chest, 29.5" waist and 33-34" inseam), and ever since I've started trying on stuff in the Women's section, I'm finding stuff that fits WAY better.

In terms of pants, I wear Olympia Airglide 2 pants in Women's size 10. They're not exactly slim-fitting, more touring-oriented, but you can layer well under them and they unzip all the way to the hip. Very fast and practical to get on and off for everyday commuting.

Jesus Christ how do you only have a 29.5" waist? I'm 5'9, 140 pounds and I have a 31" waist, and I thought I was skinny. That's not human.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

AncientTV posted:

Dainese or RS taichi in order of expensiveness.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Tsaven Nava posted:

It's not that the pants have to be slim-fitting looks-wise, it's just necessary side effect of them being tight enough to actually offer protection for me. Womens pants do sound like a good option though, not sure why I didn't think of that.

edit: Could you post a picture of how your gear fits Tsaven? :gay:

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

MrZig posted:

Jesus Christ how do you only have a 29.5" waist? I'm 5'9, 140 pounds and I have a 31" waist, and I thought I was skinny. That's not human.

I used to be thinner. When I crashed with PlasticSun at the tail end of my trip, I was the same weight as you, but 3" taller. 141lbs at that point, I've been making an effort to gain weight since then.

AncientTV posted:

I'm gay for Tsaven and want pictures of his legs

(Excuse the 15,000 miles of road grime on them)

That's with casual jeans underneath, and without the wind/waterproof insulated liner. I probably would have fit into a size 8 perfectly, but I wanted room to layer. They come up to bottoms that are designed to be hemmed up to 6", but I've never gotten around to doing it as when I'm on the bike, they pull up a lot and are almost exactly the right length.

I will say that they flow so much air that it's like riding naked. I road through Death Valley (122f) and was as comfortable as you can expect to be there, wearing just shorts under them. They really flow an amazing amount of air.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Tsaven Nava posted:

That's with casual jeans underneath, and without the wind/waterproof insulated liner. I probably would have fit into a size 8 perfectly, but I wanted room to layer. They come up to bottoms that are designed to be hemmed up to 6", but I've never gotten around to doing it as when I'm on the bike, they pull up a lot and are almost exactly the right length.

I will say that they flow so much air that it's like riding naked. I road through Death Valley (122f) and was as comfortable as you can expect to be there, wearing just shorts under them. They really flow an amazing amount of air.

That's good to know, part of my dilemma was finding suitable pants for Florida summers. Thanks for the fit info, I'll probably end up going with those.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
They're not cheap, but they're really awesome pants. The full-length zippers make entry/exit a breeze, and with the liner in I've been comfortable into the low 40s with them.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
My AGV breeze jacket came in the mail today, and it's awesome, flows tons of air and looks great. It feels pretty high quality too, very solidly-built for an $89 jacket (though admittedly it was more than $200 when it wasn't on closeout). It's pretty small though, I ordered a 2XL (since that was the only one left) and was expecting it to be too big (I usually wear a large), but it's actually really snug, especially around the belly.

At this point, I'm probably going to grab those MOD or DSX Cortech armored jeans to go with it.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Can anybody recommend a good cover and lock for a GS500e?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I'm very disapponted with my throttle rocker after using it on the Detroit to Nashville trip. It was always in the way and slid around. I picked up a generic Vista Cruise for the ride back. I got it installed but I had to dremel a ton of plastic off of it before it would work properly. Hopefully it'll work well enough for the ride home tomorrow.

Anyway, does anyone have a Throttle Meister? Is it any good? I want to replace the Vista Cruise asap because it gets in the way of the starter button and is really cheap feeling.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Crayvex posted:

I'm very disapponted with my throttle rocker after using it on the Detroit to Nashville trip. It was always in the way and slid around. I picked up a generic Vista Cruise for the ride back. I got it installed but I had to dremel a ton of plastic off of it before it would work properly. Hopefully it'll work well enough for the ride home tomorrow.

Anyway, does anyone have a Throttle Meister? Is it any good? I want to replace the Vista Cruise asap because it gets in the way of the starter button and is really cheap feeling.

A friend of mine has one of those bar end cruise controls. He likes it. I haven't used it myself though. I personally have a Cramp Buster and have had no issues with it. When I grab a lot of brake I guess I do put a little bit of pressure on the throttle but that's not really an issue since I have the clutch pulled in as well.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Everybody should buy a Scorpion Stinger jacket. After my huge ordeal I finally have one and it's fantastic. I rode in 95 degree weather the other day, above 20mph suddenly you can't feel the heat. The perforated leather works well. I wish it had slightly deeper pockets but it's plenty big for my phone and house keys which is all I need anyway.

I ended up with a second small blue, so I'll be selling that on ebay this week if anybody is looking for one, as well. It seemed to be the only small left on the internet.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Rontalvos posted:

Everybody should buy a Scorpion Stinger jacket. After my huge ordeal I finally have one and it's fantastic. I rode in 95 degree weather the other day, above 20mph suddenly you can't feel the heat. The perforated leather works well. I wish it had slightly deeper pockets but it's plenty big for my phone and house keys which is all I need anyway.

I ended up with a second small blue, so I'll be selling that on ebay this week if anybody is looking for one, as well. It seemed to be the only small left on the internet.

How does it compare to an Olympia textile jacket?

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

PadreScout posted:

How does it compare to an Olympia textile jacket?

I don't know because I've only used an Aqua Sport TX textile and then the Scorpion Stinger, sorry! V:shobon:V

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I got my first pair of boots today. I've been agonizing over what brand to get after reading all the advice in this thread. I kept meaning to go try a bunch on and then order a pair online, but I never got around to it. Then I waited too long to order online, because I'm leaving for a trip on Wednesday and there's no way they'd get here in time. So finally I just sucked it up and went over to Coleman Powersports In Falls Church, VA. TTFA suggested I try the Motorcycle Factory down in Woodbridge, but when I called they didn't have a great selection in stock (Thanks for the good advice all the same).

Coleman was a pleasant surprise. The staff were friendly and helpful if not super attentive. The guy gave me some sizing advice and let me try on whatever I wanted. I came away with a pair of Sidi Fusions for $200, incredibly the same price as NewEnough. I really thought I was going to get rolled buying gear at a physical store.

So enough talk, I thought I'd throw them on for a quick break-in ride. Here I am geared up and ready to go:

Wait, something's missing isn't it?

Aha! Now we're ready!

SQUIDTASTIC!!!!

The (motor)bike was around the corner and I couldn't be bothered to walk all the way over there to do the real thing. I'm off this week for a monthlong trip to (and around) Nova Scotia, so I'll come back with a review. By then I should know plenty about their comfortability and durability -- though hopefully not about their crash-worthiness (knock on wood). I'm just glad to finally be riding in boots, I've really been negligent thus far.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
^^^^^^^
Nice Fusions; how are they? I've heard good things about Sidi and they look like good all around boots, but nobody by me has any.

Also I'm looking at either an Icon Merc or a Teknic Rage. The Icon is cheaper, but the Teknic is supposed to be waterproof.

Any thoughts?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anyone know anything about the Scorpion EXO-750? As far as I can tell, the only difference between them and the EXO-700 is ECE rating and some sort of air pump fitting system. I'm considering ordering one and hoping it fits like the 700.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Linedance posted:

want.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)