Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Post a picture of that T40 RIGHT loving NOW.

I was so close to buying one a few months ago, but got cold feet. Felt like I was spending too much on music gear, haven't seen one pop up on my local Craigslist since :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Ashdown Engineering? Namely the MAG line? Seems like that's their most consumer-friendly (read:cheapest) line, and I just won a hotheaded bid for a MAG 600 on eBay for under $300. Did I overpay? Who knows, I was done waiting for an amp so I took a dive. Definitely paid more than I was hoping, but to Hell with being conservative already.

I'm going to be setting this monster on a Carvin 2x15" from 1988/9 rated at 400watts/4ohm. Seeing as the amp puts out about 575RMS, I'll have plenty of headroom, I guess, just gotta learn to compensate levels without killing those speakers.

What I'm really interested is the subharmonic circuit. A built in suboctaver really appeals to me as I've been focusing on making really clean lines for my songs, and I'd like a really deep tone like a double bass. A lot of people complain that the circuit does nothing, but I wonder if this has something to do with the configuration of their rig, or their technique. Anyone gotten any good subharmonics?

The subharmonic thing is a gimmick. I had a Mag 300 210 combo years ago and like has already been said, its useless A and below, is monophonic, and to me seemed a little slow to produce the note. It will not sound like a double bass.

I wouldn't worry about overpowering that cab. You'll need the master pretty high to get into danger levels, and the volume should be more than enough by that point.

Getting some sort of Sansamp like CheesyDog has would probably be the best thing you could do for that amp, the preamp on them is pretty characterless (but it will get loud).

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Constipated posted:

I was so close to buying one a few months ago, but got cold feet. Felt like I was spending too much on music gear, haven't seen one pop up on my local Craigslist since :(

Not his T-40, but here's my '79. Got it for $200 shipped last year.

Don't have a photo of the whole thing, this is after I removed all the electronics. Set the neck pickup kind of low-ish (it's still super loud) and wired it straight to the output.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

FancyMike posted:

Not his T-40, but here's my '79. Got it for $200 shipped last year.

Don't have a photo of the whole thing, this is after I removed all the electronics. Set the neck pickup kind of low-ish (it's still super loud) and wired it straight to the output.

I can see the russian muff I sold you in that pic. That makes me kinda sad :( But it looks like you gave it an awesome home :)

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Constipated posted:

T40, with aforementioned Ashdown head:

T40 #2:

The first one I got as my first bass in high school for $200 bucks, and ten years later I saw another one online for $200 bucks and couldn't pass it up. I'm considering stripping and repainting the "new" one.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Niiiice. Same finish and stuff as the one I was going to buy!

How would you say a T40 compares to a P or J bass?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

HollisBrown posted:

I can see the russian muff I sold you in that pic. That makes me kinda sad :( But it looks like you gave it an awesome home :)

Yeah, it's really great. I actually just sold off my Eau Claire Thunder because the Muff just works better for me all the time. Also not sure if I wrecked the resale value or not, but the other day I installed a standard 9v power jack so I don't have to deal with batteries or battery clip adapters anymore.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Constipated posted:

Niiiice. Same finish and stuff as the one I was going to buy!

How would you say a T40 compares to a P or J bass?

The thing it is probably weakest at is getting that J-bass sound just right. When I think of a J-bass, I think of a punchy, just a little nasally toned sound, and while the tone is approachable it's just too boomy to get that punchy attack just right. I think it's just got too much mass in the bridge and body.

It nails the P-bass sound. I've usually got one set up for tapewounds or flats, and it gets that Motown/Jamerson tone just right, while the other I leave set up with regular strings for that growly/Punk P-bass tone. It gets bright enough to emulate a Ric, but it does still have that boominess to it that keeps it from sounding perfectly like a Ric. You can tame the boominess with some compression, but it hasn't really bothered me since I switched to an all tube head.

Actually, I lied, its worst feature is trying to slap on it. The pickups get in the way, it sounds like crap, and the pickups are so hot that it will clip constantly.

I wish someone would manufacture a copy of the pickups, I've played a couple of Peavey's weird other T-series basses and while they were clearly more cheaply made you could really hear a difference in the attack with the lighter bodies - not necessarily better, just tighter. They're stupidly versatile once you learn their quirks, but the boominess limits them.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

FancyMike posted:

Yeah, it's really great. I actually just sold off my Eau Claire Thunder because the Muff just works better for me all the time. Also not sure if I wrecked the resale value or not, but the other day I installed a standard 9v power jack so I don't have to deal with batteries or battery clip adapters anymore.

If it had a 9v adapter I probably never would have sold it, but like you I was worried about wrecking the resale value.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

CheesyDog posted:

growly/Punk P-bass tone. It gets bright enough to emulate a Ric

Thats what I wanted one for mainly. I have my P bass set up with dead roundwounds that I don't ever plan on changing. If I had a T40 I'd keep new strings on it, and add some light gritty distortion and play with a pick. What is too much to pay for one? They are on ebay all the time but alot of the prices differ.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
Here is a very detailed discussion on bass amp EQs by the doomiest amp builder, Dunwich. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/some-discussion-amp-eqs-950782/

Incredibly interesting for those wanting to know more about how their amp works, as 90% of bass amps old and new are just derivatives of these EQ styles.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I have the frost blue T-20. Slap machine best $65 bass ever. The last 2 T-40's I've seen we're on Craigslist and a local store. Both were really beat up, didn't have the toasters, and both sellers wanted 300-350usd. I think you should be able to find one in decent shape in the 250-300 range. Those sellers were dumb.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Constipated posted:

Thats what I wanted one for mainly. I have my P bass set up with dead roundwounds that I don't ever plan on changing. If I had a T40 I'd keep new strings on it, and add some light gritty distortion and play with a pick. What is too much to pay for one? They are on ebay all the time but alot of the prices differ.

There are some decent threads on TalkBass as well as other resources around the internet that can help you tell which are earlier or later T40s, that should help give you an idea of how much to pay for which. For one in REALLY good condition, I'd probably pay $400.

Also, they're heavy as gently caress!

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
Love my friends T-40 with the toasters. It sounds great through all of my bass amps.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

HollisBrown posted:

If it had a 9v adapter I probably never would have sold it, but like you I was worried about wrecking the resale value.

Eh, once I decide something is a keeper (which was as soon as I plugged that muff in the first time) I don't feel too bad about it. Might as well make it more useful to me and if the mods hurt resale value then I'll deal with that later. Having cool poo poo is nice, but I try real hard not to be a collector/hoarder. Also the lovely paint they used on those muffs that chips off if you so much as look at it is part of the charm so I don't see how another hole is anything too bad.

Back to T-40 chat, they are indeed heavy as gently caress. Worth it imo but I wouldn't recommend marathon practice sessions or gigs with one unless you've got a stool or something. The first mod I did to mine was clipping the coil-tap wires so the pickups functioned as humbuckers all the way up on the tone knob. The single coil sound didn't really do it for me and I liked the extra little bit of treble available. Then the pickup switch was getting bumped with vigorous playing every once in a while and I only ever used the neck pickup and hated the phase switch so everything unnecessary came out. The pickup was still very loud though and my big muff didn't like it until I backed it off pretty far. I play pretty heavy with a pick and flatwounds, thinking of trying out some rounds on it again though. It's been a long time since I've had a bass with roundwounds.

They're great ~$300 basses that play and sound way better than their price, but I wouldn't go paying much more than that unless you've already played one, it's in mint condition with maybe a cool color, and you know for sure it's what you want.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

FancyMike posted:

They're great ~$300 basses that play and sound way better than their price, but I wouldn't go paying much more than that unless you've already played one, it's in mint condition with maybe a cool color, and you know for sure it's what you want.

And if you can find it for a bargain but don't dig the colour, you can always do what I did and take it to the luthier and give it a new finish.

Mine went from this:

To this:

My only problem with this bass has been its neck width: despite my luthiers best efforts adjusting and modifying both the bridge and the saddle, the G string is always in danger of getting bent over the side of the neck. When I first received it, it was nigh unplayable whereas now it's passable. When my band was more active I was thinking about asking my luthier to craft me a new similar neck with a better truss-rod system (these are godawful in T-40s), but now that I play more rarely, I think I'm just going to stick to my other basses when I need a trust-worthy tool. Maybe when I next time have too much disposable income I'll fix this great beast. I'm not sure if the neck problem is common or not, but I think it must be just that my neck happens to be a lemon. The frets are also quite badly worn out in the higher register. The tone is awesome though, no one can deny that. :)

niff
Jul 4, 2010
That is an awesome finish. I saw someone playing a T-40 live the other night, seriously solid tones.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I sliced the poo poo out my right index finger at work today... And I have a jazz gig this Friday and another one next week... So much for giving the authentic big-band feel with an upright bass...

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Crazy glue. It's bailed me out more than once of some multi-set gigs.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Noise Machine posted:

Crazy glue. It's bailed me out more than once of some multi-set gigs.

That's one of my options, but I've been having some nerve issues in that hand after multi-set gigs and I don't want to push my luck. I'm gonna talk to my doctor about it, and stick to the electric for a bit. Our director loves my electric tone anyway :allears:

niff
Jul 4, 2010
Fender branded Schaller style straplocks are cheaper than Schaller branded Schaller straplocks. :what:

If anyone is installing straplocks in their EB-0, take out the huge screw where the front strap button is, fill the hole with matchsticks/kebab skewers/thin soft wood as tight as possible then screw the small screw in.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Was looking at the Musicman website. What's the bass line of instruments, and what's the difference between it and the normal line? Looks like Ash body instead of the traditional mystery wood, thinner neck, string-through body, fewer pickup options.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 31, 2013

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Looks to be their higher end line. They got adjustable foam mutes at the bridge, higher quality necks and wood. Think of it as Fender's American line of instruments. Musicman's OLP line would be like Squier

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Yeah, I think they're just geared towards the fans who want the more old-school style of MM basses. They have the 2-band EQ rather than the modern 3, the aforementioned string mutes, some of the older colors, and probably a few other details that I'm not familiar with.

Basically, features that Music Man basses had before Ernie Ball (read: Sterling Ball) took over the company.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Dominoes posted:

Was looking at the Musicman website. What's the bass line of instruments, and what's the difference between it and the normal line? Looks like Ash body instead of the traditional mystery wood, thinner neck, string-through body, fewer pickup options.

I think it's just the more classic type of Stingray. Having 'Stingray' and 'Stingray Bass' and the same thing with the Sterling is dumb as hell in my opinion. 'Bass' is just an awful descriptor, call it a Stingray Classic or something. Or EBMM could quit making a million weird variations of the same two instruments that change every year and that nobody wants, but that's not likely to happen.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

FancyMike posted:

I think it's just the more classic type of Stingray. Having 'Stingray' and 'Stingray Bass' and the same thing with the Sterling is dumb as hell in my opinion. 'Bass' is just an awful descriptor, call it a Stingray Classic or something. Or EBMM could quit making a million weird variations of the same two instruments that change every year and that nobody wants, but that's not likely to happen.

They tend to do that poo poo. Like a few years ago when their new import line, the "Sterling Series" started up. Even though they technically had actual designations for the basses, people would say "Oh hey, now I can buy a Sterling Sterling, or a Sterling Stingray..."

I really dislike Sterling Ball, btw.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

FancyMike posted:

The model isn't called "Stingray Bass", it is "Classic Stingray". The logo is just another feature that references the early models, from when they made Stingray guitars as well as basses.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I was just reading the names on this page: http://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses.html. Didn't care to look much further, but yes I guess they do call it a Classic Stingray. It's not as clear as it could be on their website.

Regardless of all their model confusion recently they do still make nice instruments. I've got a ~6yr old Stingray that is really great. Though apparently they don't make one with a single pickup, 3-band eq, top-loading bridge, and no mutes anymore.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
A friend of mine is in charge of finding a bass amplifier for a school. Budget is 250-550€. I figure it should be solid state as I can't imagine they want to fidget around with replacing tubes. It should probably be as all-around as possible. Any suggestions? I'm in Denmark.

EDIT: Ages of the students are 20-25, so they probably won't wreck the gear.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Boz0r posted:

A friend of mine is in charge of finding a bass amplifier for a school. Budget is 250-550€. I figure it should be solid state as I can't imagine they want to fidget around with replacing tubes. It should probably be as all-around as possible. Any suggestions? I'm in Denmark.

My school had a cheaper solid state Ampeg I can't remember the exact model but it worked nicely and all in all was a good amp. Sorry I can't be more specific.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
Europe generally has a lot of new Ampeg and Ashdown gear right? Check out one of their 2x10 or 1x15 combos.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Boz0r posted:

What kind of music are they playing and how big of an audience would this amplifier be used for?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

FancyMike posted:

Though apparently they don't make one with a single pickup, 3-band eq, top-loading bridge, and no mutes anymore.

I think that is pretty much their bread and butter model, they definitely still make one - http://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/stingray.html
The picture just shows the two pickup option.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

TyChan posted:

What kind of music are they playing and how big of an audience would this amplifier be used for?

It's general band courses, so I think they play pop/rock, nothing too advanced. Audience is less than 100 people, I think.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Trip Report!

99/00 Fender Mexican Jazz Bass - $0
Carvin 2 x 15 cabinet - $150
Ashdown MAG 600 - $260
Zvex Box of Rock - $100
Korg Pitchblack - $20ish, whatever
ANYWAY, the feeling of having all this working together is priceless, and I mean it. I honestly can't wait to start getting the act together.
I was hoping that, because the 600 MAG wasn't one of the evo models, it would have been UK made and a little more reliable. However, I can live with changing out the fuses, and packing spares for the future. The fans do get loud, but the output gets louder so I have no trouble there. Unfortunately I have not hit that sweet spot with the Box of Rock, yet, I've had to turn it way back as it seems to either compress or cut the low end just a little too much for me. However, I like that I can include it without worrying about a power supply or pedal board for it, as the Korg tuner has a power output, so I just chained the two together with a cable from my power brick. The subharmonic, of course, was unnoticeable, and actually crackled a bit when it was dialed high so I'm probably just going to ignore that. But, all the pots are clean, the EQ works, "deep" and "bright" buttons are good, I prefer it deep but I still EQ it to dial back the highs.
I don't know what's more disgusting, the fact that I still have a long way to go, not only in crafting my tone, but garnering any skill as a bassist, before I went and bought all this crap; or the fact that I didn't care so much because I spent significantly less than when I got my little 15 watt tube guitar amp.

Now, I assume that the holes in the Carvin that are empty(?) are/were tweeters. I'm not sure if they were broken and removed or what; so, if anyone can help me on that front, I'd appreciate it. The cabinet's exterior is pretty wacked, also, I was half considered re-upholstering it in either tolex or that ratty carpet material, and replacing or covering the front grille with some silverface grille cloth a la Fender to get a more vintage look out of it (and to hide those holes).

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 2, 2013

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
The holes in the baffle of that Carvin cab could just be ports. Are there any screw holes or other signs that anything was mounted there?

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
That's the cabinet from a "Musician's Bass Amp". Those speakers ar only found in Carvin cabs from '82 to '86, so It could have been made anytime between the model's release in '83 and when they stopped using those particular speakers in '86 (I do not know when the Musician's Bass Amp was discontinued but I am pretty sure it's last model year '86).

Those are ports.

RetardedRobots fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 2, 2013

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Those are definitely just ports, hardly anyone (if anyone) was using tweeters back when that cabinet was made.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Just got back from playing a concert with Marvin Stamm (played trumpet for Stan Kenton, Woody Herman, Thad Jones, Mel Louis, Benny Goodman, Bob Mintzer... he's pretty good) It was -10 degrees(f) this morning, and the guy went for an hour long run outside of town to start off his day.

He said he liked the way I played the bass :3:

Also, two-and-a-half-octave flugelhorn lip-trill arpeggios sound pretty cool :hawaaaafap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
I just bought my first bass guitar (used) and amp (new), and there's this hum. There's a light one just when the amp is plugged in, and there's a louder one when my bass gets plugged into the amp. The latter one stops if I place my hands on the strings, tone knobs, or the screw end of the cable. Is this just normal feedback or is something likely wrong with my guitar, amp, or cable?