Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

weekly font posted:

I was there too. About quadruple the people from the last one which is pretty insane.

Same here, which was surprising. Jack the Giantkiller had maybe...eight people? The theater for this was close to full. It was one of those smaller rooms with two sets of seats instead of three, but still. I may buy my tickets early for Birdemic just in case it sells out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Maybe I'll see Birdemic, I just realized I never saw that one.

Doing it in the theater sounds like a fun experience.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ballz posted:

I feel that a fundamental flaw to any of these "bad movie sequels" is this: they're purposely trying to be a bad movie.

There's something... I dunno, genuine about the originals. Ed Wood wasn't out to make the worst movie of all time. I don't think Hal Warren was either. Something like the Manos sequel seems to try too hard to be a "bad" movie, and in a way that ruins any appeal it might have.

Maybe it's just me armchair directing, but if I were to set about making a sequel to Manos, I'd go in trying my damnedest to make it a good, entertaining movie. Chances are I'd fail miserably, but such a failure would (hopefully) add something back to its appeal. If from scene 1 I'm saying to the audience "Are you folks ready for some cinematic poo poo? :wink:" then I've already failed.

But hell, maybe Mr. Manos 2 guy did the same thing and maybe it'll be a genuinely good movie (or a good bad movie, if that makes sense). Not much from those clips shown last night encouraged me any, though, save for one thing: I actually did like that final shot showing the now-elderly Master hypnotically waving his staff. It was a nice homage to the original and also kept a lot of the genuine creepiness intact. Bumbling sheriffs, washed out wrestlers and bad monster makeup on a lady? Not so much.
You hit the nail on the head. The reason people love the originals is because they have a kind of amateurish charm. None of these deliberately bad films will have that feeling.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

FlamingLiberal posted:

You hit the nail on the head. The reason people love the originals is because they have a kind of amateurish charm. None of these deliberately bad films will have that feeling.

I have always maintained that the irony that people enjoy these movies through is dramatic irony. The movie doesn't know it's bad, but we do and that is the fun.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

therealjon_ posted:

Maybe I'll see Birdemic, I just realized I never saw that one.

Doing it in the theater sounds like a fun experience.

If you have never seen Birdemic, then yes, you absolutely must go to the live show.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Ballz posted:

I feel that a fundamental flaw to any of these "bad movie sequels" is this: they're purposely trying to be a bad movie.

There's something... I dunno, genuine about the originals. Ed Wood wasn't out to make the worst movie of all time. I don't think Hal Warren was either. Something like the Manos sequel seems to try too hard to be a "bad" movie, and in a way that ruins any appeal it might have.
Yeah, the wonderful thing about Manos is that you can tell how deadly serious everyone is taking it. There are no subtle winks at the audience to say "we know this is a shitfest, just play along".

On the MST3k DVD for the Final Sacrifice, the guy who played Rowsdower said that the director was a great guy who was trying to make the best movie he could; he just wasn't very good at it. If you set out to make a bad movie you're probably not going to end up with a cult classic. You're just going to end up with a bad movie.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Presto posted:

Yeah, the wonderful thing about Manos is that you can tell how deadly serious everyone is taking it. There are no subtle winks at the audience to say "we know this is a shitfest, just play along".

On the MST3k DVD for the Final Sacrifice, the guy who played Rowsdower said that the director was a great guy who was trying to make the best movie he could; he just wasn't very good at it. If you set out to make a bad movie you're probably not going to end up with a cult classic. You're just going to end up with a bad movie.

Well, there are of course exceptions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNfQ0ORwSDM&t=114s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjhV1DavSRM

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Little late, but the "Manos" show was pretty drat fun. I was in White Plains, NY; would've seen it in the city, but the only theater showing it (Union Square) was sold out by the time I bought tickets. I got to the theater a good 90 minutes early and no-one was there. I did some shopping, came back 45 minutes before the start time, and there were two other people waiting. They let us into the theater about 30 minutes before it started, and over those 30 minutes, the theater was nearly filled to capacity.

Great show all around. I too loved that they just let the awkward cuts and pauses play out with no jokes. "Manos 2" looks just plain bad though, like "Swamp Zombies" bad.

I actually have a funny "Manos" story. A professor of mine at the School of Visual Arts who worked in the New York film industry in the 70s and 80s didn't think much of "MST3K" until recently. I mentioned that one of the movies they were known for making fun of was "Manos" and he gave me a very weird look, saying that I had to be joking. Turns out that back in the 70s, he and his buddies would try to find the most awful obscure movies they could, scouring the cheapest 16mm rentals (stuff like "Beast of Yucca Flats"). The one movie they all agreed was the worst of the bunch was "Manos", and my professor said that I was the first person he'd talked to in over 30 years to mention that film. I then showed him the Torgo's Pizza skit from the show and it blew his mind.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
In high school in the 90s we watched Manos for Film Studies, which is how I was first exposed to it. I'm still friends and keep in touch with someone who took that class with me and they don't believe I paid money to see it again.

Manos is the best awful movie.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Looks like this film is going to be dropping tomorrow according to Mike on Twitter. I can't wait.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Is it time for me to give up on a Jack The Giant Killer (and future movies) bluray release?

Twitter posted:

@RiffTrax Hey, is last year's #RifftraxLive "Jack The Giant Killer" coming out on Blu-Ray? I keep waiting to get it!

Rifftrax posted:

No Blu-ray plans as of yet. We never sell enough to justify the production cost!

:smith:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

Looks like this film is going to be dropping tomorrow according to Mike on Twitter. I can't wait.

Ed Wood wrote this one!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Deadpool posted:

They've got to make a WKRP in Cincinnati joke at some point.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Deadpool posted:

Best film about a guy being turned into a venus flytrap ever.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

Best film about a guy being turned into a venus flytrap ever.

Do you not remember the ending to the Little Shop Of Horrors?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I'm so pumped for this VOD!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Some tantalizing factoids, per wikipedia:

- Alternate title: "The Revenge of Doctor X"
- Released four years after filming (always a sign of quality)
- Based on screenplay by Ed Wood.
- The American release has the wrong credits, those of "The Mad Doctor of Blood Island".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm not even a third of the way through Revenge of Dr. X and it's utterly incoherent madness.

EDIT: I think this is a prequel to Blood Waters of Dr. Z.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 22, 2012

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm not even a third of the way through Revenge of Dr. X and it's utterly incoherent madness.

The thought processes of Dr. X Bragan:
1. Nearly have a stroke from overwork at NASA
2. Vacation in Japan to calm your nerves
3. ???
4. Create an abomination unto the laws of god and man to prove that all animals are descended from plants with the aid of your lovely assistant and your not-so-lovely organ-playing henchman.

Also, there's topless women somewhere in there.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mr. Fowl posted:

The thought processes of Dr. X Bragan:
1. Nearly have a stroke from overwork at NASA
2. Vacation in Japan to calm your nerves
3. ???
4. Create an abomination unto the laws of god and man to prove that all animals are descended from plants with the aid of your lovely assistant and your not-so-lovely organ-playing henchman.

Don't forget growing a hideous John Waters mustache and shouting a lot. Those are key parts of his experiment.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Is there any sashaying through the sargassum?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MrMidnight posted:

Is there any sashaying through the sargassum?

No, but there's definitely gallivanting around some geothermal activity.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The Revenge of Dr. X is a movie that decided to make their protagonist an antisocial raving madman who gets increasingly angry with everyone and everything, and portray him as tragic.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tars Tarkas posted:

The Revenge of Dr. X is a movie that decided to make their protagonist an antisocial raving madman who gets increasingly angry with everyone and everything, and portray him as tragic.

You're making it sound much better than it actually is.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Tars Tarkas posted:

"Increasingly"?

I haven't finished this yet, but it starts with "HOW IN THE HELL CAN ANYONE BE SO UTTERLYSTUPID, as to build a rocket base off the coast of Florida?" Dude was already at about "13" on the 1-10 rage scale.

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008
Quick question.

In Rifftrax: Spider-man when Tobey McGuire is running for the bus Disembodio says "Look familiar Mike?" Mike shoots him down and says quiet you!

Is that a reference to something that I don't know? Or is he just saying Mike was a loser as a kid?

If so, then again in RiffTrax: Next (one of my favorite) When Nicholas Cage is running from the cops in the car Disembodio again says "Look familiar Mike?" And Mike shoots him down again with a shh or quiet.

Was there a joke there that Mike got pulled over or something in Vegas or anything to that nature?

Just throwing it out there in case anyone knew the backstory (if there is one).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

tagelthebagel posted:

Quick question.

In Rifftrax: Spider-man when Tobey McGuire is running for the bus Disembodio says "Look familiar Mike?" Mike shoots him down and says quiet you!

Is that a reference to something that I don't know? Or is he just saying Mike was a loser as a kid?

If so, then again in RiffTrax: Next (one of my favorite) When Nicholas Cage is running from the cops in the car Disembodio again says "Look familiar Mike?" And Mike shoots him down again with a shh or quiet.

Was there a joke there that Mike got pulled over or something in Vegas or anything to that nature?

Just throwing it out there in case anyone knew the backstory (if there is one).

I think it just a gag making fun of Mike. I remember on MST3K Crow would sometime do the same thing when a nerd got beaten up or rejected. I remember he going to say "remember this Mike" when someone is making out with a girl, but he stops.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Coming not soon enough to a Rifftrax near you,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2Trn7JCHiU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Deadpool posted:

Goddamnit :smithicide:

I just know I'm going to have to watch this at one point or another. This one I probably won't watch without RiffTrax, though.

aw who am i kidding :negative:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Deadpool posted:

Oh Jesus, they even got the "Hangin' Out" guy back. :ughh:

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Goddamnit :smithicide:

I just know I'm going to have to watch this at one point or another. This one I probably won't watch without RiffTrax, though.

aw who am i kidding :negative:

Wow, they were able to afford more than one bird.gif this time around.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Birdemic has my favourite Rifftrax joke ever.

Little Girl - The birds killed my family

Bill - Well I guess she wont be 'Hanging Out, Hanging Out, Hanging Out with the family!'

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Mr. Fowl posted:

Also, there's topless women somewhere in there.

That was completely random. And I like how the half naked women just seemed to make the guy even more pissed off.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Birdemic has my favourite Rifftrax joke ever.

Little Girl - The birds killed my family

Bill - Well I guess she wont be 'Hanging Out, Hanging Out, Hanging Out with the family!'

That song was one of the "Name That Tune" songs before the Manos RiffTrax last week and I think I was the only person in the theater laughing my rear end off when it came on screen.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
Rod's been working out.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Lazaruise posted:

Rod's been working out.

But can he properly pronounce "solar panels"??

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ensign_Ricky posted:

But can he properly pronounce "solar panels"??

I hope not, that would ruin my immersion.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Yeah it would be like a Space Mutiny sequel without the word 'scanty'.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

No. gently caress that. Self aware sequels to cult films are never ever good. Didn't we just talk about this for Manos 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

weekly font posted:

No. gently caress that. Self aware sequels to cult films are never ever good. Didn't we just talk about this for Manos 2?

You're assuming James Nguyen is self-aware. That's a pretty big assumption.

• Locked thread