Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sports
Sep 1, 2012
The spring itself demonstrates mechanical capacitance. Check the patent. I should have specified/differentiated the two though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I ended up buying a CM Storm Quickfire TK with blues. Good buy? I rarely use a tenkey, so I'm not worried about it being truncated.

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

spouse posted:

I ended up buying a CM Storm Quickfire TK with blues. Good buy? I rarely use a tenkey, so I'm not worried about it being truncated.

I like mine. It's a solid board for the price. The build isn't as nice as my Filco MJ2 but the Filco cost twice as much.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

The green knight gets all the princesses.
My CoolerMaster CM Storm QuickFire Pro with Cherry Browns arrived yesterday.

In a word: Wow. This is one of the greatest purchases I've ever made in terms of improving my day-to-day life.

It took me a few minutes to adapt to the different feel of the mechanical keyboard, but after it clicked (puns) I'm absolutely loving it. I'm typing faster than I did before, and more accurately too. Or at least it feels that way. I'm certainly enjoying typing a lot more.

One last note: The keyboard feels very solid to me, compared to the Apple and Dell keyboards I had been using up until now. It's a hefty sucker, that's for sure. I've never seen a Das or a Filco in person, but I'm having trouble imagining what they must feel like.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Some of the CM ones are the same OEM (Costar) as the Filcos, so probably about the same. Not sure if that applies to the Quickfire Storm or not.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Finally got my CM Storm trigger from 1saleaday. It only took a month, but it was worth it.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Has anyone tried this keyboard (Kensington Slim)?

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-K7...switch+keyboard

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

evensevenone posted:

I used an older model of that for several years until I got my mechanical a few months ago. It was good, I remember liking it a lot when I got it. By the time I replaced it, the action definitely wasn't as crisp, I think scissor switches have just as much age degradation as regular rubber dome keys. I'd recommend it with the caveat that I'm now a complete mechanical convert and would never go back.

I do miss how flat it sat on my desk, that was better for the carpals with my desk height.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Yeah, the low-profile ones are just way more comfortable for me. I'll probably go for it, $25 isn't bad.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Sorry if this has been covered earlier in the thread, but any recommendations for wireless or bluetooth keyboards? Some of the keys on my macbook pro have stopped working/I'd like to start plugging the laptop into my TV and navigating from the couch, so this seems like the cheapest way to go.

I've been looking at some with built in trackpads, but it's not strictly necessary.

Something likethis would be fine. Mostly wondering about the quality of the touchpad itself and if this type of keyboard is at all worthwhile.

If not, I'd probably be fine with something without the trackpad, like this, since I could probably get something a bit higher quality.

I know apple makes the stand alone trackpad but it's $70 just for that, and at that point I might as well just use a mouse.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
People seem to like the K400 for HTPC setups so I think that means the trackpad is serviceable for that sort of use.

Is this for a desktop or an HTPC?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Both, really. It's for a macbook pro with a busted keyboard. I'm either using it on my desk or plugged into the TV.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 18, 2013

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
What's the best choice for a keyboard with cherry reds right now? I was looking at Filco's, but all I could find on amazon were their models with the black switches (I'm in the US). I'd prefer a relatively plain keyboard, i.e. not one that looks made for "super pro gaming!"

Also, why does WASD keyboards sell the red switches separately but not offer them as an option on their keyboards? Is that just a temporary thing?

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Bucket Joneses posted:

People seem to like the K400 for HTPC setups so I think that means the trackpad is serviceable for that sort of use.

Is this for a desktop or an HTPC?

I use a K400 for a media center setup, and it works great. The touchpad is a little gritty but otherwise it works fine for opening XBMC or getting to netflix.

I just picked up a Steelseries 6Gv2 to try out the switches and I'm really liking the black switches. My only problem is the stupid steelseries key replacing the windows key on the left - I use the windows key for shotcuts a lot and not having the one on the left drives me nuts. I'll get used to it I'm sure, but in a couple months I might have to order a wasdkeyboard just to try out red switches.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

astr0man posted:

What's the best choice for a keyboard with cherry reds right now? I was looking at Filco's, but all I could find on amazon were their models with the black switches (I'm in the US). I'd prefer a relatively plain keyboard, i.e. not one that looks made for "super pro gaming!"

Also, why does WASD keyboards sell the red switches separately but not offer them as an option on their keyboards? Is that just a temporary thing?

Newegg has Rosewill and Coolermaster with reds.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Dogen posted:

Newegg has Rosewill and Coolermaster with reds.

Corsair k60 and k90 are also an options.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

astr0man posted:

What's the best choice for a keyboard with cherry reds right now?

Kinesis Advantage :getin:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Calidus posted:

Yeah I thought those might violate the "pro gamer" clause

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Just wanted to chime in and say that for anyone looking for a keyboard with blues, Das Keyboard Pro has been awesome so far.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Calidus posted:

Dogen posted:

Yeah I thought those might violate the "pro gamer" clause
The k60 doesn't look very pro gamer if you don't add the wasd caps or accessories. They have a distinctive look, but I think they're more futuristic brushed metal than obnoxious gamer.

On the other hand they're more expensive than CM/Rosewill and the function row and page block keys use rubber domes.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Calidus posted:

I would recommend against the K60 with fervor. I have the K60 and it's pretty nice but the odd combination of Cherry MX Reds and rubber dome switches really mess with the overall flow of the keyboard. It's a very affordable though and an okay keyboard if you want to find out what Reds feel like. But I'm sure there are better options out there including the new CM Storm keyboards coming out soon.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Cizzo posted:

I would recommend against the K60 with fervor. I have the K60 and it's pretty nice but the odd combination of Cherry MX Reds and rubber dome switches really mess with the overall flow of the keyboard. It's a very affordable though and an okay keyboard if you want to find out what Reds feel like. But I'm sure there are better options out there including the new CM Storm keyboards coming out soon.

I actually have one and really don't get what the deal with the rubber dome hate regarding the f-keys and ins/del/etc is. People really hit the f-keys all the time in such a way that it makes a big difference? I'm more mad about the very occasional key sticking firmware problem that has yet to be addressed after over a year (which frankly is also not a big deal, but c'mon guys). To each their own, I guess. Also compared to the keyboards I mentioned it's actually more expensive...

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Dogen posted:

I actually have one and really don't get what the deal with the rubber dome hate regarding the f-keys and ins/del/etc is. People really hit the f-keys all the time in such a way that it makes a big difference?
I'm not sure what non-gaming situations might have people hitting those keys often, if any, but for me it's definitely a gaming thing. There are plenty of games where you hit the first 4 to 8 F-keys frequently and I can imagine it might feel really weird if they have a totally different type of switch. For me I hit F1-F5 quite frequently when playing SC2 and that game is the main reason I bought a nice keyboard in the first place.

Never owned one of those corsair boards with differing switch types, just my perspective on why Fkeys matter.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Col.Kiwi posted:

I'm not sure what non-gaming situations might have people hitting those keys often, if any, but for me it's definitely a gaming thing. There are plenty of games where you hit the first 4 to 8 F-keys frequently and I can imagine it might feel really weird if they have a totally different type of switch. For me I hit F1-F5 quite frequently when playing SC2 and that game is the main reason I bought a nice keyboard in the first place.

Never owned one of those corsair boards with differing switch types, just my perspective on why Fkeys matter.

You can group your weapons in EVE Online, you know :ssh:

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007
I can't find a good mechanical keyboard that's wireless. Am I missing some?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Gendal posted:

I can't find a good mechanical keyboard that's wireless. Am I missing some?

RF or BT?

I've only found one BT mechanical on Amazon. Reviews seem to imply it's OK: KBTalking Pro

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath

semicolonsrock posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say that for anyone looking for a keyboard with blues, Das Keyboard Pro has been awesome so far.
I currently own the Ultimate version (the only difference is Ultimate has no labeled keys), and the build quality is incredible. This thing is really built to last. But I'd say the cherry blues are best for proficient typists that really like very tactile clickity-clack feedback. It was quite expensive, but I think it was money well spent. My only gripe with the keyboard is rather minor: the matte finish on top of the keys wears off over time and it starts to look shiny on the keys you press most. But this is only after a very long time. I think I've had mine for two years now.

Longevity is definitely something the designers had in mind, as you can remove the caps on the keys relatively easily (they sell a tool on their site, but you can do it without it with a little more fuss) to clean the grime and crumbs between the keys with a can of compressed air.

I'm guessing you got the newer version of the Das Keyboard Professional that has the media keys? Because that looks quite nice.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

RF or BT?

I've only found one BT mechanical on Amazon. Reviews seem to imply it's OK: KBTalking Pro
Either is fine with me. That keyboard looks good but man that's expensive. I actually wanted to buy two but now I am talking about a $400 investment vs $200.

Altran
Mar 20, 2013

alakath posted:

My CoolerMaster CM Storm QuickFire Pro with Cherry Browns arrived yesterday.

In a word: Wow. This is one of the greatest purchases I've ever made in terms of improving my day-to-day life.

It took me a few minutes to adapt to the different feel of the mechanical keyboard, but after it clicked (puns) I'm absolutely loving it. I'm typing faster than I did before, and more accurately too. Or at least it feels that way. I'm certainly enjoying typing a lot more.

One last note: The keyboard feels very solid to me, compared to the Apple and Dell keyboards I had been using up until now. It's a hefty sucker, that's for sure. I've never seen a Das or a Filco in person, but I'm having trouble imagining what they must feel like.

In the old days mechanical keyboards are renowned for their durability, but with the advance of manufacturing techniques, non-mechanical keyboards can more or less match the number of key press mechanical keyboards can offer. If you do not require anti-ghosting capability or N-key rollover or the tactile feel when typing, any dirt cheap generic Lenovo/dell keyboard suits you well and you can buy 2 nice meals with the leftover cash. However if you do require these functions, I got some first-hand experiences might help:

I have tried Cherry brown keyboards, Steelseries 7g (black), Filco Majestouch-2 black switch, Filco Majestouch-2 red switch, and second hand experience on Topre Realforce, keep in mind this is nowhere near the professional reviews!

Top of my list is the Filco red switch, it doesn't have a click, but god it's good. I never believed ‘using a good keyboard lets you type better’, but this one might get you close to that statement. The finishing is top quality, the letters are printed on the keycaps, but they do not fade at all under sweaty fingers nor do they wiggle sideways much. It is like typing on air!

You need much more force to activate black switches and your finger WILL get tired compared to those uses red switches. If you fancy one, get the Steelseries. it is noticeably worse made than the Filco black switch, however you get a great hand rest, heavier keyboard, 20 quid left over, and they use the same cherry switches. Underneath they are the same, just the cap quality, you can buy Filco keys to fit the Steelseries.

Cherry brown is the cheapest, about 60 pounds. The huge gap between the function keys, f1-f12, to the main typing area might be a down side for gamers.

Topre uses capacitance switches, and they cost 200 pounds each, the only thing they offer over the 'cheap' mechanical one is the keys have different activation force requirements depending on their position and usage, my second hand advice is that once you use a Topre, you can't revert back to normal keyboards, like a drug...

Edit: Did I mention top-notch customer service of steelseries?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Thanks for all the tips, I ended up getting a Rosewill with the reds and it's awesome!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I'm going to be spending ~6 months in a hotel room (joy!) starting next month. Looking for a very portable keyboard with Cherry Brown switches, preferably with bluetooth/usb transceiver.

This is really the only one I found and it doesn't look to be wireless:

http://www.amazon.com/Keycool-Mechanical-Backlight-Available-backlight/dp/B00A7NFPJQ

I know the standard answer will probably be "just get a Filco tenkeyless" but wanted to poll SA to see if a wireless version of a Cherry Brown (portable) exists.

Thanks.

Needs to work with OSX and Windows 7/8. Can't install drivers for Windows as it's a work computer that's locked down.

Edit: I see the BT chat above, but they are full-size boards. Looking for the smallest possible to fit in my computer bag.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 21, 2013

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Altran posted:

In the old days mechanical keyboards are renowned for their durability, but with the advance of manufacturing techniques, non-mechanical keyboards can more or less match the number of key press mechanical keyboards can offer. If you do not require anti-ghosting capability or N-key rollover or the tactile feel when typing, any dirt cheap generic Lenovo/dell keyboard suits you well and you can buy 2 nice meals with the leftover cash.

I would disagree. I have seen a lot of rubber membrane keyboards degrade after about a year of use. At school, there are some keyboards in a student group office I'm part of, and a lot of the keyboards have keys that don't press properly, or are just really lovely feeling to type on. When they were new, the keyboards were fine, but they're at a point where people who don't appreciate mechanical keyboards go "oh, this is one of the lovely keyboards".

They still function, but its incredibly uncomfortable.

Altran
Mar 20, 2013

unpronounceable posted:

I would disagree. I have seen a lot of rubber membrane keyboards degrade after about a year of use. At school, there are some keyboards in a student group office I'm part of, and a lot of the keyboards have keys that don't press properly, or are just really lovely feeling to type on. When they were new, the keyboards were fine, but they're at a point where people who don't appreciate mechanical keyboards go "oh, this is one of the lovely keyboards".

They still function, but its incredibly uncomfortable.

Ye I have seen those lovely ones usually on public computers, however if you have them at your home, they should stand their ground, unless you have 20 siblings with one 1 available pc.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

The green knight gets all the princesses.

hotsauce posted:

I know the standard answer will probably be "just get a Filco tenkeyless" but wanted to poll SA to see if a wireless version of a Cherry Brown (portable) exists.

I really know very little about mechanical keyboards, but I do know that CoolerMaster makes a tenkeyless version called the QuickFire Rapid. Just another option to consider.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

alakath posted:

I really know very little about mechanical keyboards, but I do know that CoolerMaster makes a tenkeyless version called the QuickFire Rapid. Just another option to consider.

Nice, thanks. It has Blues as an option which I really prefer although they are loud as hell. Looks compact enough, may go with that.

Is this just a re-badged Filco? It's a really good price.

Edit: searching Amazon reviews indicates it's basically a Filco as it's made by the same OEM manufacturer.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 21, 2013

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

evensevenone posted:

Update on this since I got it: it's pretty good, but not "great". One thing that is funny, it looks like it has chiclet keys but it really doesn't, the keycaps are just raised in the middle. Compared to an Apple keyboard, it's slightly thicker, and the keys don't have that rough texture. Otherwise, it feels reasonably solid. The key travel is short with a nice click and a good feel.

Probably for <$50 it's one of the better options. I like my Apple Bluetooth a little more but it was always a bit annoying to use with linux and windows (it doesn't work in grub for example) and I was always having issues with they key layout.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I found some news about a couple Cherry Red keyboards. There's the Corsair K70 which looks exactly like a K60, but with all mechanical switches, and will be available in April.

The Tech Report just posted a review of Gigabyte's Aivia Osmium. It has a volume wheel, adjustable backlighting, 5 macro keys, and the macro interface sounds pretty robust. On the down side, the backlight brightness settings don't affect the logo in the top right, and the USB 3.0 pass-through doesn't work on some controllers. If they manage to fix these things for their new version, which will have Brown switches, I could see myself wanting it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
e: ^^ gah drat you!

Cebit is going on now, and Corsair demoed new mechanical keyboards. They're the same body design as the K60 & K90, but they're 100% mechanical now. Also they're now backlit and the metal body is anodized black, looks fierce. Still only with cherry red switches.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

hotsauce posted:

I'm going to be spending ~6 months in a hotel room (joy!) starting next month. Looking for a very portable keyboard with Cherry Brown switches, preferably with bluetooth/usb transceiver.

http://www.amazon.com/Keycool-Mechanical-Backlight-Available-backlight/dp/B00A7NFPJQ

Thanks.

Needs to work with OSX and Windows 7/8. Can't install drivers for Windows as it's a work computer that's locked down.

Edit: I see the BT chat above, but they are full-size boards. Looking for the smallest possible to fit in my computer bag.

Not Cherry switches, but you should look into the Matias Laptop Pro or Mini Tactile Pro, which use ALPS switches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009

hotsauce posted:

Thanks.

If you want cherry switches in a 60% size layout, take a look at Vortex, I have no idea what the build quality is like, probably decent. Not wireless though.

• Locked thread