Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
LOGI's report is out - but I don't know what the analysts' consensus was - anyone know where I can look that up for free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I'm fairly ignorant in this regard, but what can the Fed actually say today to calm the market?
Something about a continued accommodating monetary policy would be my guess.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I remember of 2008, these sort of up days were followed by further (albeit smaller) down days. Can anyone support my fading memory?

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Josh Lyman posted:

Something about a continued accommodating monetary policy would be my guess.

So far that hasn't done a lot to get people spending, at least from my anecdotal point of view.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

pr0k posted:

LOGI's report is out - but I don't know what the analysts' consensus was - anyone know where I can look that up for free?

Individual analyst reports and estimates are hard to get for free, but Reuters does a decent job of showing consensus/aggregate.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

So far that hasn't done a lot to get people spending, at least from my anecdotal point of view.
Calming the market and getting people to spend are two different matters.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
So the Fed announcement is to keep the ship on course. It appears the markets are a little disappointed by that news.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

So the Fed announcement is to keep the ship on course. It appears the markets are a little disappointed by that news.
No, the Fed announcement is that they'll keep rates until July 2013. That means they expect minimal growth for the next 2 years.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Josh Lyman posted:

No, the Fed announcement is that they'll keep rates until July 2013. That means they expect minimal growth for the next 2 years.

Ahh fair enough.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
What the hell is wrong with Google Finance. Their front graphic and text just showed the Dow went down 200 points in like 20 seconds, and now it is updating to show it never even got close to that.

Jabbu
Aug 1, 2005

GODWIN'S LAW? WHAT THE FUCK IS GODWIN'S LAW YOU FUCKING CRYPTO-NAZI? WHY DON'T YOU STOP RAPING CHILDREN FOR FIVE MINUTES, PUT DOWN THAT GLASS OF PUPPY BLOOD AND JUST ADMIT THAT YOU'RE A FUCKING MONSTER
Today is a wild day. Man oh man.

Edit: I'm buying a little. Might bite me in the rear end, but I'm liking the prices so far.

Edit 2: I hate days like this. You get a couple of your trades executed, you don't get a couple of the others...market starts to close and you think "I wonder if I'll get the opportunity tomorrow to buy what I wanted to buy today for the price I wanted." Then a realization washes over you that if that ends up being the case, the trades you made today in all likelihood will be down tomorrow as well and if that ends up being the case, then what else are you incorrect about? Nice little test of fortitude.

Jabbu fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 9, 2011

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
What a day. Made out like a bandit, but totally missed the two giant moves in the market after the Fed announcement. 3000 shares of the SPY at $112.25 would have been amazing - that 5% move is unprecedented.

Jabbu
Aug 1, 2005

GODWIN'S LAW? WHAT THE FUCK IS GODWIN'S LAW YOU FUCKING CRYPTO-NAZI? WHY DON'T YOU STOP RAPING CHILDREN FOR FIVE MINUTES, PUT DOWN THAT GLASS OF PUPPY BLOOD AND JUST ADMIT THAT YOU'RE A FUCKING MONSTER
Same. Managed to get into PFE at a level I like with the possibility of increasing it in the future, missed increasing my position in GE under 15, and I'm scoping out BP and MO over the next couple of days. BP seems really drat cheap if you intend to hold it for a long time unless I'm missing some key piece of information about it, and my MO position can always use a couple more shares. If poo poo goes south tomorrow I have plenty of cash on hand to take advantage, but today was almost the case of there being too many choices to buy and the temptation of "eh maybe I can get in a bit lower." The dilemma for me was really do I increase positions of what I already have or add a few new picks to the bunch, all without managing to blow through 30 grand like it's monopoly money in the process.

Jabbu fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 9, 2011

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
For a moment I had the opportunity to sell my $30 C puts for 100% profit. Got greedy, now I'm probably going to eat them. :/

imabmf
Mar 10, 2004
Was that really a 500 point upswing in the last 90 min? Whoa.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Fed-to-Keep-Rates-at-Record-bloomberg-304643584.html

quote:

The Federal Reserve pledged for the first time to keep its benchmark interest rate at a record low at least through mid-2013 in a bid to revive the flagging recovery after a worldwide stock rout

So with the Feds announcing keeping rates at where they are for 2 years, anyone else gonna get MORE REITs?

REITs make money on the spread from when they get a rate from the .gov and resell at market. The higher the rate from the fed, the lower the spread and lesser income. With it held steady it installs certainty for an extended period.

deathbypudding
Apr 28, 2006
Jesus, these kind of moves are insane. I think when you have a market dominated by HFT, this kind of thing is bound to happen.

Anyone want to make some bets about what tomorrow will bring? I kept my UGL and DIG right into the close. Hoping tomorrow the dead-cat bounce continues.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

MrBigglesworth posted:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Fed-to-Keep-Rates-at-Record-bloomberg-304643584.html

So with the Feds announcing keeping rates at where they are for 2 years, anyone else gonna get MORE REITs?

REITs make money on the spread from when they get a rate from the .gov and resell at market. The higher the rate from the fed, the lower the spread and lesser income. With it held steady it installs certainty for an extended period.

Turns out I sold a shitload of bonds and bought ARR at just the right time I guess. Was looking a little shaky there for a day or so.

I'm going to buy some more I think, yah.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
ARR has been FUN! Love that monthly payment.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cremnob fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 16, 2013

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
At this point I don't just want out of this market, I want out of this loving country.

owDAWG
May 18, 2008
Some Oil and Natural gas companies looked too attractive this morning, so I bit the bullet and bought back in.

Dow moving over 5% in a couple hours is a bit ridiculous.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
So is the European contagion threat over for now? I read something about the ECB stepping in with their bond-buying program to help the European sovereign debt market, but I don't understand how all that works or the implications. Did the ECB action also help improve the US market action today?

Is the ECB fix just a band-aid that will keep things stable over there for the next few weeks?

Related article from the Irish Times: "ECB bond buying eases tensions"
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0810/1224302180462.html

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

cremnob posted:

What makes you believe this is a dead-cat bounce?

That cat's next stop is a shoe box.

N
Oct 4, 2006
This space is for rent - $9.95/month no questions asked.

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

For a moment I had the opportunity to sell my $30 C puts for 100% profit. Got greedy, now I'm probably going to eat them. :/

Here you go buddy. Now's your chance with C at 28.50. It better drops to 26 tomorrow though.

deathbypudding
Apr 28, 2006

cremnob posted:

What makes you believe this is a dead-cat bounce?

Check this chart.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comment/7/2011/08/9d429ce47fa3acacbec33a5c5ad7e257/original.jpg

I don't have the time for a long essay, but we are in a period of deleveraging on a massive scale. Europe looks set to implode, and the Fed is running out of options. QEIII right this second would be a disaster. I know ZeroHedge is highly sensational at times, but dudes I totally respect, like Marc Faber, predict another 10% loss, if not more.

I don't think it's going to be the end of the world, but I think we have a ways to go. This market has been running on cheap money for the last 18 months, most of the gains in the stock market have been an illusion.

Of course, if QEIII is announced, expect another 3000 point stock ramp. It's ridiculous that the entire market runs on intervention these days, but that's the reality. I think things are just plain nasty out there. I sold my DIG very early in this morning, and overall made a nice profit on it. I think I'll keep my UGL, gold is a great bet right now.

As Marc Faber says, not owning gold is basically saying you trust central bankers and governments. Right now, that's a losing bet.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

N posted:

Here you go buddy. Now's your chance with C at 28.50. It better drops to 26 tomorrow though.

Yeah sorry they're actually $28 puts, but I'm feeling pretty optimistic at the moment.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011
General question: How would I obtain access to "raw" market data? Whilst coding scripts for e.g. eSignal seems to be quite do-able, is there anyway to get access to direct data and run the feeds into a custom TA program? I'm much more comfortable writing things with my own graphical APIs, rather than trying to learn an entirely new system.

Or am I being ridiculously naive and should rely on the charting programs?

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Disnesquick posted:

General question: How would I obtain access to "raw" market data? Whilst coding scripts for e.g. eSignal seems to be quite do-able, is there anyway to get access to direct data and run the feeds into a custom TA program? I'm much more comfortable writing things with my own graphical APIs, rather than trying to learn an entirely new system.

Or am I being ridiculously naive and should rely on the charting programs?

You pay for access. It is very expensive (I guess this is relative but it's very expensive for me).

http://www.bloomberg.com/enterprise/enterprise_products/data_optimization/data_feeds/

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

a lovely poster posted:

You pay for access. It is very expensive (I guess this is relative but it's very expensive for me).

http://www.bloomberg.com/enterprise/enterprise_products/data_optimization/data_feeds/

Holy crap that is expensive. How is it that the charting programs are so much cheeper when, presumably, they incorporate similar feeds?

deathbypudding
Apr 28, 2006
My guess is that even those feeds are slightly delayed compared to Bloomberg info. The market runs on lightening fast data, and you have to pay top dollar for access.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

deathbypudding posted:

My guess is that even those feeds are slightly delayed compared to Bloomberg info. The market runs on lightening fast data, and you have to pay top dollar for access.

I was playing with eSignal earlier when our chart server went down briefly (:rolleyes:) - eSignal's data is essentially real-time, if you really needed faster data than what eSignal provides you'd need to co-locate physically closer to the market data centres (execution timeliness is always more important than quotes, anyway). Most charting software has concurrent symbol limits (say 50 at a time) whereas the more expensive products (your Bloombergs, etc) don't, which is where a lot of the cost delta comes in.

If you're just backtesting, eoddata.com has some pretty cheap minute data if that resolution is fine for you. You can always use qlink and eSignal to get raw data, but getting lots of data that way is a bit of a pain in the rear end.

mik fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 10, 2011

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

mik posted:

I was playing with eSignal earlier when our chart server went down briefly (:rolleyes:) - eSignal's data is essentially real-time, if you really needed faster data than what eSignal provides you'd need to be co-locate physically closer to the market data centres (execution timeliness is always more important than quotes, anyway). Most charting software has concurrent symbol limits (say 50 at a time) whereas the more expensive products (your Bloombergs, etc) don't, which is where a lot of the cost delta comes in.

In that case, is it possible to export the data feed from esignal anyhow? To be honest, I'm not about getting a fast feed, I just want a feed into a programming environment that I feel more comfortable with rather than trying to hack everything with efs

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Disnesquick posted:

In that case, is it possible to export the data feed from esignal anyhow? To be honest, I'm not about getting a fast feed, I just want a feed into a programming environment that I feel more comfortable with rather than trying to hack everything with efs

I don't remember how off the top of my head, but if you have qlink enabled on your eSignal account, you can get data into excel pretty easily. Will post when I'm back at the office tomorrow with instructions if you want.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

mik posted:

I don't remember how off the top of my head, but if you have qlink enabled on your eSignal account, you can get data into excel pretty easily. Will post when I'm back at the office tomorrow with instructions if you want.

That would be very helpful. Thank you!

Internet Nobody
May 17, 2009
So it looks to me like getting in on NLY, AGNC, CIM would be a brilliant 2+ year investment. Any downsides to this, given that interest rates will be at 0 till july 2013?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Tom Steele posted:

So it looks to me like getting in on NLY, AGNC, CIM would be a brilliant 2+ year investment. Any downsides to this, given that interest rates will be at 0 till july 2013?

Their spreads can still go down, or their investments can go bad. You're not getting 20% risk-free. But yah, it still looks good to me.

I was thinking put my IRA into one of them, and then those dividends are tax free as well. I really should have been using my IRA as my short term trading/high taxable dividends investment area, and holding longer term stuff in my regular accounts so I just get hit with 15% there. Kind of rear end-backwards. Am I missing something?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Tom Steele posted:

Dont forget ARR if you are looking at those. MAAYYYBEEE PSEC, but they have taken a hit over the last few months. I had them for a while from $9.8 and sold in the high twelves. The monthly payments are great. ARR and PSEC are monthly, the ones you mentioned are quarterly.

Only downside is if the market collapses and they cant get any income from selling mortgages. I like the 2 year steady course that has been announced. It installs certainty. If they know what that rate is, they can count on the spread being steady, as in they make their money from the spread and if interest rates go up, there is less income.

YeahDavidLeeRoth
Sep 23, 2008

^^^
I own PSEC in my Roth IRA and while the price has dropped a lot recently it is nice to see the dividend get reinvested every month. I feel fairly optimistic about them.

With the recent tumbling of the market I've taken a bit of a beating. I'm pretty new to stocks, and I've been reading with interest some of the ways people have mitigated this.

I knew this was coming, but I had no real confidence in doing anything other than not panic selling. I'd be interested to know what some people's strategies were, and why they went with them if they are willing to share.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

Disnesquick posted:

General question: How would I obtain access to "raw" market data?

I don't know anything about eSignal, but Interactive Brokers has an API for all of their data, both live and historical, that you can use if you have an account with them. AFAIK you can just deposit $25k and use their data to your heart's content without actually trading through them, but i could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
If I'm working with index mutual funds, is this a good time to buy before the markets start gaining again?