Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
Which made me think the other night: if Leia knew they were being tracked, why go straight to Yavin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

KaosFactor posted:

Which made me think the other night: if Leia knew they were being tracked, why go straight to Yavin?

You haven't picked up by now that she's an idiot?

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

KaosFactor posted:

Because on top of the torture and interrogation, she'd just watched her home planet being blasted into an asteroid field. She probably wasn't thinking everything through.

I sometimes suspect that Tarkin took that into account when he blew up Alderaan.

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

KaosFactor posted:

If Tarkin was willing to blow up a peaceful planet just to make a point, I don't think he'd have any problem destroying wherever the Falcon landed on the off chance it actually was the rebel base. At least the rebels would have a chance to fight back.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Most movies have plot holes. Citizen Kane has a huge plothole. However, good movies like Kane and star wars do a good job at hiding them.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Astribulus posted:

If Tarkin was willing to blow up a peaceful planet ...

Since TFU is canon, Aldaraan was a hotbed of insurrection and the ruling Organa family needed a permanent solution. >.< I didn't just type that.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

Since TFU is canon, Aldaraan was a hotbed of insurrection and the ruling Organa family needed a permanent solution. >.< I didn't just type that.

So while looking at Wookieepedia, specifically the Canon section, I found this:

Wookieepedia posted:

TOTAL FILM: "Are you happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after you're gone?"
LUCAS: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."
:sigh:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

I really wonder why they didn't do an "Infinities" story for the prequels. They have way more what-if? material to work with.
Lucas probably doesn't like people messing with his vision, especially when he got his way with the whole thing.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Maybe they needed the Death Star to come to them. Saves time and fuel.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Gammatron 64 posted:

Most movies have plot holes. Citizen Kane has a huge plothole. However, good movies like Kane and star wars do a good job at hiding them.

"That's not really a plothole it's just...stupid"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Mooktastical posted:

The one thing Lucas has right!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mooktastical posted:

Missed this but uh, no offense but why is this bad? I know we all want to see the prequels remade but do we really want sequels?

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
I'd love to see the Thrawn Trilogy, but there is NO WAY they'd be done right so it's better.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
They should do an animated/cgi adaptation of the Thrawn trilogy, except where previously nixed/forbidden by Lucas do what Zahn originally wanted to do--e.g. the insane Obi-Wan clone instead of Joruus C'Baoth. Fix up small niggling details like the timeframe of the rise of the Empire, get the clone insanity and Mount Tantiss thing slightly closer to what was in the prequels (not that hard of a fix, honestly, since Zahn himself wrote a short dealing with it).

It'll never happen. :sigh:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Or you can read the books again. Seriously nothing good would come of an adaptation.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Missed this but uh, no offense but why is this bad? I know we all want to see the prequels remade but do we really want sequels?

No new movies means no remade prequels. When Lucas kicks the bucket, whatever happens to Star Wars, it won't be for the better.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

TheBigBad posted:

They don't win that fight, they escape. Plus they were being herded back to the Falcon to reveal the location of the Rebel Base.

I'm sure that makes the stormtroopers who got shot and fell into a bottomless pit despite having the high ground would be consoled by that.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

that awful man posted:

I'm sure that makes the stormtroopers who got shot and fell into a bottomless pit despite having the high ground would be consoled by that.

No body gives a crap how dead clones and droids feel.

Edit: Because they don't pull your arms off when they lose.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Nobody really thinks they won't milk the franchise the minute George dies, right?

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

arioch posted:

I don't think Chewie's ever been scratched behind the ears in the OT.

Doesn't Luke give him a scratch in Empire? Maybe not behind the ears, but it was a very much like something you would do to your pet.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DFu4ever posted:

Doesn't Luke give him a scratch in Empire? Maybe not behind the ears, but it was a very much like something you would do to your pet.

Do Wookiees even HAVE ears?

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Allegiance is done.
Not bad, all things considered.
Sometimes I wish I didn't read so fast. Now I'm out of new Star Wars books again.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

DFu4ever posted:

Yeah, shortly before the escape from Hoth when Luke is saying his goodbyes he gives Chewwie an affectionate scratch behind the ear/at the back of his neck.

I think this is justified as mutual grooming would make sense as a Wookie custom, indeed Chewie even runs his paw through a newly de-frosted Han's hair in RotJ.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
^^ Yeah, I can buy that.

KnightLight posted:

Allegiance is done.
Not bad, all things considered.
Sometimes I wish I didn't read so fast. Now I'm out of new Star Wars books again.

Wait, you read that in between this and your previous post? :psyduck:

Turtle before the Storm
Sep 13, 2004
I should try to be less like Ignatius J. Reilly and more like John Kennedy Toole. Rev the engine and pass me that hose

Mooktastical posted:

The last figure I heard about the value of George Lucas's financial empire is 1 billion dollars or something like that. He also has children, who will grow up to be adults. Someone in the family will eventually get greedy. A thousand men in suits will salivate at the idea of ANOTHER billion being made, whisper in those adult's ears, and lawyers will neatly remove anything the then-deceased Lucas might have put in the way of making more movies.

Trust me there will be more movies after Lucas is gone.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mooktastical posted:

No new movies means no remade prequels. When Lucas kicks the bucket, whatever happens to Star Wars, it won't be for the better.

I hate to quote plinkett because it's been done to death but "The sad truth about the prequels is they'll be around forever. They will never go away. They can never be undone."

Even if someone did do it, the originals are always gonna be in the back of our mind. Why create something to remind us of them?

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
So basically Obi-Wan's line was a buch of crap then? Especially considering his experience with Maul, but also other stuff.

Powered Descent posted:

Do Wookiees even HAVE ears?

Let's consult the wiki!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ear

:pseudo:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So, what's the secondary use for ears? ....Or is this covered in some sort of fanfic that I really don't want to know?

deadguy
Apr 23, 2007

Hello Bob

Wookiepedia posted:

A secondary use for ears was Wookie sex holes. They especially liked doing it with Yoda ears cause they were so big.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Admiral Goodenough posted:

^^ Yeah, I can buy that.

Wait, you read that in between this and your previous post? :psyduck:

Yes, yes I did.
I read Allegiance in between when the mail arrived and midnight.
This is why I spend way too much on books. :(
If it weren't for public libraries I'd be utterly broke.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

deadguy posted:

Wookie

Heh, I knew that was fake because of that word. :smugdog: Plus, everyone knew Chewie wasn't packing. Or maybe he was and that's why nobody stood in front of him.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

I hate to quote plinkett because it's been done to death but "The sad truth about the prequels is they'll be around forever. They will never go away. They can never be undone."

Even if someone did do it, the originals are always gonna be in the back of our mind. Why create something to remind us of them?

I disagree.They're not some traumatic event that scarred me for life, they're just a few lovely movies that could/should have had more effort put into them, is all. If the prequels were competently re-done, I'd be able to forget about George Lucas' 3 mistakes. I'd always remember how lovely a filmmaker and human being he is, but then again, nothing could change that.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

If they remake the prequels, I doubt they'll be made better. Yeah, you can make them way, way better, but that requires talented people. I'd be all over prequels written by Lawrence Kasdan, produced by Gary Kurtz and directed by the ghost of Irwin Kirshner, but that isn't ever happening. You guys expect Rick McCallum and the Lucas kiddies to make a good movie? That's a laugh.

Hollywood often doesn't care about the quality of their product, especially when it has a name on it that sells like Star Wars. Fantastic reboots like Batman and Star Trek seem to be a relative rarity and happen by accident.

When George finally croaks, he's leaving the franchise in the hands of even less competent people. Imagine the EU in movie form. Talented people don't write Star Wars novels and comics. Yeah, there's the Thrawn trilogy and the X-Wing novels, but those were from over a decade ago.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

If they remake the prequels, I doubt they'll be made better. Yeah, you can make them way, way better, but that requires talented people. I'd be all over prequels written by Lawrence Kasdan, produced by Gary Kurtz and directed by the ghost of Irwin Kirshner, but that isn't ever happening. You guys expect Rick McCallum and the Lucas kiddies to make a good movie? That's a laugh.

Hollywood often doesn't care about the quality of their product, especially when it has a name on it that sells like Star Wars. Fantastic reboots like Batman and Star Trek seem to be a relative rarity and happen by accident.

When George finally croaks, he's leaving the franchise in the hands of even less competent people. Imagine the EU in movie form. Talented people don't write Star Wars novels and comics. Yeah, there's the Thrawn trilogy and the X-Wing novels, but those were from over a decade ago.

Here's what I think is most likely to happen after he dies. We'll see a huge uptick in the amount of poo poo that's sold under the Star Wars license. Games, TV shows, action figures, books, and anything else they can use to make a buck. Quantity will be emphasized over quality. After the buzz dies down, and the diminishing returns of constant brand withdrawals begin to take effect, the Star Wars brand will be in the shitter. Once that happens, when there's nothing left to lose, someone will do for Star Wars what JJ Abrams did for Star Trek and Christopher Nolan did for Batman.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Star Wars has been in the shitter and has emphasized quantity over quality for well over a decade. Star Wars is a huge behemoth that flat out refuses to die because its Stockholm syndrome fans still eat it up, no matter how lovely it is. After Gene Roddenberry died, Star Trek took two whole horrible shows (and one criminally underrated one), a whole plethora of bad movies, almost unanimously awful tie-ins and the public opinion that it was only for super-nerds to finally kill it. Then there was no Star Trek anything for years until the reboot. So you probably won't see any good Star Wars until a few decades after George's death and everybody has forgotten about it.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Can they even reverse his wishes legally after his death? I know covenants can be passed on from owner to owner on land, but intellectual property?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TheBigBad posted:

Can they even reverse his wishes legally after his death? I know covenants can be passed on from owner to owner on land, but intellectual property?

Intellectual property laws are weird, especially after Disney messed with the law so they could hold on to Mickey Mouse instead of having him pass into public domain. It's not that you ever even see Mickey Mouse beyond the theme parks. Though of course, whenever they try making new Mickey Mouse or Buggs Bunny cartoons, they wind up terrible.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

So I don't know how many of you are watching the Clone Wars, but suffice to say all the Force Cthulhu poo poo has definitely been upstaged (complete with the voice talents of Starkiller) by the off-the-wall mystic poo poo they're running with that clearly came from Lucas himself. (So tired of these Star Wars Treks.)

KaosFactor
Dec 10, 2000

Rommel Rommel
The Mickey and Bugs Bunny analogy is really apt analogy. They, like SW, started as main stream entertainment that kids could enjoy. At some point, the controlling interest decided that kids wouldn't be the incidental market, they would be the specific target. It requires a lot less to keep a 5 yr old entertained than a 25 yr old.

Also, no, Lucas cannot control from beyond the grave. Covenants on real property are a different matter than dead hand control through wills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Don't worry about it guys. This is the new canon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R55e-uHQna0