Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Can anyone recommend me some exercises to increase hip strength and flexibility for grappling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I don't know if there's free resources with the same content, but I like Steve Maxwell's hip routine.

Trying to find a stuff on youtube gives me this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC_FblvhKD4

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Memento posted:

Can anyone recommend me some exercises to increase hip strength and flexibility for grappling?

Flexibility is going to have a lot to do with stretching. Surprisingly eddie bravo has some pretty good routines. I'll hunt up my book over the weekend and post some stuff.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Jay Sherman's not a fan of that choice

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
If anyone is interested, here are some videos of the BJJ academy where Masakazu Imanari is currently teaching at.

Link to the profile
Video 1
Video 2

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Senor P. posted:

If anyone is interested, here are some videos of the BJJ academy where Masakazu Imanari is currently teaching at.

Link to the profile
Video 1
Video 2

He's gonna find it difficult to run a successful school after he cripples all of his students with cranked heelhooks.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker

Memento posted:

Oddly enough the Jane Fonda workout routine is amazing for increasing strength and flexibility. I'm not trying to come off as some kind of condescending fitness jerk, but I'm going to link to a bundle of videos to show the proper technique because these things can really help your grappling game. Also the name of some of these exercises likes to vary depending on who you ask, so the videos show the moves I'm talking about, also you can vary the number of sets and reps to suit your own needs.

Here's a video that shows a workout inspired by the old Fonda stuff, she basically goes over everything:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1z_qe9_HEU

I do a workout about 2-3 times a week in the corner of the gym where nobody can see me and/or judge me because this is fruity as hell and you should be ashamed that goes something like this:
All of these are both legs so you can double the number of sets.
3 sets of 15 Kneeling Bent Leg Raises (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd3ZBThASFg)
3 sets of 15 Kneeling Hip Abductor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWrXA4e3Ugk)
3 sets of 15 Kneeling Hip Extension (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzSKVCEPV68)
3 sets of 12 single leg hip raises (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn3OqL03Gl0)
3 Sets of side lying leg lifts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgh6sGwtTwk)

Alternatively, yoga. For me doing yoga 3 times a week improved my core/hip strength and flexibility to a remarkable degree. Also I ended up dating the instructor, which also improved my hip strength.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Mardragon posted:

Alternatively, yoga. For me doing yoga 3 times a week improved my core/hip strength and flexibility to a remarkable degree. Also I ended up dating the instructor, which also improved my hip strength.

Do jiujitsu get powerful hips date yoga instructors.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
So this happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ghbCiFiXcQ

And then this happened: http://www.bjjee.com/videos/video-keenan-cornelius-disqualified-for-questionable-knee-reap/

It looked to me like Diego Nogueira forced the reap which I believe makes it not a foul. Someone more knowledgable can correct me I'm sure.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Hard to see from that angle but I didn't see any attempt to move Keenan's foot across himself. Sitting back and pointing it out to the ref is kind of a bitch move (and celebrating afterwards even more so) but Keenan knows he hosed up having his foot all the way across in the opposite armpit. While it's not really endangering the knee that high up the way the rules are written it seems like a fairly straightforward DQ.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The way the rules are written is stupid.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
No argument from me there.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The rule itself is stupid, regardless of how it's written.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

fatherdog posted:

The rule itself is stupid, regardless of how it's written.

I mean, personally I'd allow heel hooks at black belt, but that's neither here nor there.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Haha apparently at 10:50 someone on Keenan's team says something to Buchecha about stalling which is why he glares at the sidelines about 30 seconds later after passing and then starts being a dick. Hilarious.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
I just recently got a DQ for 'reaping the knee' after my opponent spun out to disengage from my 1leg xguard. I didn't follow him, no one tapped and I just stood back up hoping for another throw opportunity. It was a really bad call.

The DQ is only supposed to trigger if someone taps to a knee reap, and from what they told us in the rules meeting an opponent who uses your leg to reap his own knee and then taps is supposed to get himself DQed.

Buchecha seemed like he needed the whole match to find his moment and beat Keenan's worm guard. Can anyone tell exactly what facilitated his pass to side control there at the end? I'm seeing him pinching his knee and elbow together to block out Keenan's top leg, but I'm still not sure what caused Keenan let go of the lapel as Buchecha stepped out. Maybe just fatigue?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Just found out one of my friends won gold in her category at the IBJJF world championship today.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Ridleys Revenge posted:

I just recently got a DQ for 'reaping the knee' after my opponent spun out to disengage from my 1leg xguard. I didn't follow him, no one tapped and I just stood back up hoping for another throw opportunity. It was a really bad call.

The DQ is only supposed to trigger if someone taps to a knee reap, and from what they told us in the rules meeting an opponent who uses your leg to reap his own knee and then taps is supposed to get himself DQed.

Buchecha seemed like he needed the whole match to find his moment and beat Keenan's worm guard. Can anyone tell exactly what facilitated his pass to side control there at the end? I'm seeing him pinching his knee and elbow together to block out Keenan's top leg, but I'm still not sure what caused Keenan let go of the lapel as Buchecha stepped out. Maybe just fatigue?

At about 11:08 buchecha stands up and strips the grip with his left hand as he comes up. When Keenan tries to re-establish the grip it didn't look like he got it deep enough

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Rodolfo just wrecked a dude in the quarter finals with a collar choke from back in 90 seconds. He was up 11-0 when he got the tap.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
So I just found out my friend was competing in a category that only had 3 people in it and she didn't weigh enough to do the open weight. Still, she won both her matches handily.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

USA Wrestling freestyle world team trials finals are starting up on flowrestling

And holy poo poo does the first match end in loving fantastic fashion

Frank Molinaro wins with a vertical suplex with 0:01 left in the match

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 2, 2014

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Rodolfo beats de Faria with armbar in the finals. De Faria was emotionally shattered after the match, face down sobbing, Rodolfo went over to him, held his head and gave him some encouragement for about a minute. Really cool moment.

Buchecha on the left. Jordan Burroughs vs David Taylor on the right

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 2, 2014

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

ch3cooh posted:

Rodolfo just wrecked a dude in the quarter finals with a collar choke from back in 90 seconds. He was up 11-0 when he got the tap.

lmao

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Gui beat Paulo Miyao with a last minute advantage and forgot he was wearing his belt so he tried to put Miyao's belt which the ref had to pull away from him

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
My coach (an ibjjf referee) has told us that if someone leg reaps us we should immediately cry out in pain

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Felipe Pena BEATS Andre Galvão 6-4

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NP7hJQ3Bfk

Ending of the ladies' featherweight blackbelt finals :gonk: Almost a Jacare/Roger moment if she had managed to hold on for the win.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

colonel_korn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NP7hJQ3Bfk

Ending of the ladies' featherweight blackbelt finals :gonk: Almost a Jacare/Roger moment if she had managed to hold on for the win.

Holy poo poo.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I once got disqualified for "slamming" in a BJJ tournament when my opponent jumped guard standing and I fell forward on top of him, into his guard. I've also seen teammates disqualified for completely nonexistent reaps because the refs knew we came from a sambo club. Basically don't compete in BJJ it's the worst.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I once got disqualified for "slamming" in a BJJ tournament when my opponent jumped guard standing and I fell forward on top of him, into his guard. I've also seen teammates disqualified for completely nonexistent reaps because the refs knew we came from a sambo club. Basically don't compete in BJJ it's the worst.

I've experienced the first one. Yeah someone pulls you off-balance so you come into their guard with poor posture it's not exactly surprising if I don't control his weight on the way down.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Has anyone outright retired from competition immediately after a blatant screwjob? Even if you're elite enough to make a living from medaling at tournaments, I can't see these guys making over 40 grand a year.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Street Horrrsing posted:

Has anyone outright retired from competition immediately after a blatant screwjob? Even if you're elite enough to make a living from medaling at tournaments, I can't see these guys making over 40 grand a year.

IBJJF only has prize money for their pro-league tournament. Medaling at competitions isn't where they make their money, there aren't enough comps that pay. They make money from teaching or owning an academy (or MMA for a select few guys). The only impact of competing on income is winning and having students who win high profile comps helps promote your academy. I don't know about retiring over a specific screw job but I know there are people (Ryan Hall off the top of my head) who've talked about how they stopped doing it because they hate the points system.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I wrote up that Nicolini/Musumeci submission and got this comment:

Some Dude posted:

I don’t think it’s ok that just because your opponent is slow in tapping that you get to break their arm. I think it should be considered battery. You’re not just hurting them for this match you’re affecting their livelyhood in future matches, and all because they hesitated for what a second too long?

Seems like it shouldn’t be legal to cause serious bodily harm to someone on purpose.

Guess we better cancel all combat sports :(

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

LobsterMobster posted:

I wrote up that Nicolini/Musumeci submission and got this comment:

Guess we better cancel all combat sports :(

where are you writing this? or are you only allowed to plug in the journalism thread?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

where are you writing this? or are you only allowed to plug in the journalism thread?

over at ye olde with leather

edit: and i'm no way a journalist, just a semi-terrible bloggist

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

LobsterMobster posted:

edit: and i'm no way a journalist, just a semi-terrible bloggist

i.e. an MMA journalist.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Gregor Samsa posted:

i.e. an MMA journalist.

Exactly. I just need to figure out how to get paid out of this whole situation.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
When she cranked on it with her knee.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

LobsterMobster posted:

Exactly. I just need to figure out how to get paid out of this whole situation.

Wear a fedora with the word PRESS tucked into it and go to a couple of post fight pressers I assume the rest sorts itself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Is it normal for gyms to have you buy their uniform to train? I finally sacked up and decided to do a trial at the local one, but it turns out their '30 days free' is really 1 class/week, and you have to pay registration + buy their $150 gi. That immediately put me off.