Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Istari posted:

I'm watching an episode of Judge For Yourself from 1954, and there's a contestant on called 5/8 Smith (pronounced 'Five Eighths').

There were bit characters in Peanuts named 333, 444, and 555 95472 (accent on the 4). They're all in the Christmas special though they don't have any lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pookel posted:

Is there a rule that a certain percentage of boys born in this generation have to have names ending with N? Like ... 80%?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

I'm really struggling to think of names that end with the letter D. David, Donald, Richard, Gerald, Conrad. Muhammad ? What are all these once-incredibly-common boys' names ?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Istari posted:

I'm really struggling to think of names that end with the letter D. David, Donald, Richard, Gerald, Conrad. Muhammad ? What are all these once-incredibly-common boys' names ?

Off the top of my head: Arnold, Normand, Harold, Archibald, Oswald, Beauregard, Thad[deus], Leonard...

Okay I'm cheating, I used to work at an old folks' home.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Istari posted:

According to Social Security, the top 20 include Richard, Donald, David, Edward, Ronald, Raymond, and Harold.

Quint Gets Eaten
Apr 23, 2014
The other day at work I heard a mother call out to her toddler son, "Mason! Come here!" I thought she was just another white middle-class soccer mom choosing a last name as a first name, thinking she was being unique. Later that same day I heard on the radio that Mason was the 3rd most popular baby name for boys this past year.

I dunno, I hear 'Mason' and I just picture all these women giving birth to 76 year-old men.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Quint Gets Eaten posted:

I dunno, I hear 'Mason' and I just picture all these women giving birth to 76 year-old men.

This must be a regional thing, because every Mason I've ever met (I can count 6, but there may have been more) was born within the last 12 years.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Quint Gets Eaten posted:

?

edit: Huh, Raymond Burr died at exactly 76

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Istari posted:

This must be a regional thing, because every Mason I've ever met (I can count 6, but there may have been more) was born within the last 12 years.

I'm trying to remember where I heard of a baby named Mason and turns out it's Kourtney Kardashian's son.

Well he certainly looks like a guy named "Mason Dash".

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Quint Gets Eaten posted:

The other day at work I heard a mother call out to her toddler son, "Mason! Come here!" I thought she was just another white middle-class soccer mom choosing a last name as a first name, thinking she was being unique. Later that same day I heard on the radio that Mason was the 3rd most popular baby name for boys this past year.

I know a guy (who is in his late 20s) named Maisen and I always assumed it was pronouned 'mayz-en' until I heard someone say his name out loud and realised it's just a dumb way of spelling 'Mason' :doh:

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Anjala.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
My boyfriend just told me about his coworker who named their kid, no poo poo, Aryan Royce (Aryan race). No special snowflake pronunciation either.

Pipsies
Nov 14, 2014
I work at an after-school club thing where we babysit kids until there parents pick them up. Some of the kids names are certainly "unique".

Braxton and his sister, Brakayla
Amara
Alyvia
Rourke
Darica
Naveah

And an interesting name choice - There's a mother who named both of her kids after herself i.e her name would be "Kennedy Johns", she named her kids Kennedy and John.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I went to school with a Mason, I guess he was born in 81 cause he was a year younger than me. Until recently, he was the only Mason I'd ever met.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Just went out to dinner, and was served by Destyn (female) and Coy (male).

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

This one at least is fine although it is a surname. It's an anglicisation of the Irish name Ruairc.

First thing that came to mind: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Rorke%27s_Drift

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Imperialist Dog posted:

This one at least is fine although it is a surname. It's an anglicisation of the Irish name Ruairc.

First thing that came to mind: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Rorke%27s_Drift

This is the first thing that came to my mind:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

CeramicPig posted:

My boyfriend just told me about his coworker who named their kid, no poo poo, Aryan Royce (Aryan race). No special snowflake pronunciation either.

Did the coworker show signs of being a Nazi previously?

Pipsies posted:

Braxton and his sister, Brakayla

These pair names always get me. The first one always seems weird enough on its own and then the second one sounds so forced even in comparison that it makes it that much worse.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

stubblyhead posted:

There were bit characters in Peanuts named 333, 444, and 555 95472 (accent on the 4). They're all in the Christmas special though they don't have any lines.

Interested that this gets brought up now. I was just in a class on psychological testing for work and the instructor mentioned once receiving hospitalization records from a person who's name was, as they said, "a mathematical construct." The mother was schizophrenic, according to the family.

I really want to know what his name was, but Privacy and Such.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

De Nomolos posted:

Interested that this gets brought up now. I was just in a class on psychological testing for work and the instructor mentioned once receiving hospitalization records from a person who's name was, as they said, "a mathematical construct." The mother was schizophrenic, according to the family.

Reminds me of the story of January "Jani" Schofield.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

flakeloaf posted:

Reminds me of the story of January "Jani" Schofield.
gently caress those parents for putting their kids' names and faces out in public like that. How's she going to feel when she's an adult and trying to have some kind of normal life, and that story is the first hit on any Google search of her name?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Istari posted:

I didn't know they invited children to join.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

^The hardest part is getting them to acknowledge the existence of the man inside the Big Bird costume.

pookel posted:

gently caress those parents for putting their kids' names and faces out in public like that. How's she going to feel when she's an adult and trying to have some kind of normal life, and that story is the first hit on any Google search of her name?

If she does have anything resembling a normal life, I imagine she's going to feel like someone who has had schizophrenia for most of it. There's no way the people in her life aren't going to know that, and that's okay; there's no shame in having a mental illness.

Besides, putting her name on their charity sounds a lot better than "The my anonymous kid is really sick and probably won't lead a normal life, honest Foundation." Six year olds basically never get those sorts of diagnoses.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
A friend-of-a-friend's comment on FB just came up and I'm too :effort: to printscreen/editnamesout it:

Person : Hilarious! I have to show Madisynne this!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Kid I had geometry with back in freshman year of high school was named Storm.

Congratulations, your son is forever going to sound emo. :thumbsup:

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

MisterBibs posted:

A friend-of-a-friend's comment on FB just came up and I'm too :effort: to printscreen/editnamesout it:

Person : Hilarious! I have to show Madisynne this!

We are not far from the days of Mmayddyissonne.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

UltraVariant posted:

Congratulations, your son is forever going to sound emo. :thumbsup:

There's a young kid in town named Storm. He looks like a character from a Dreamworks movie. I felt bad, he seemed really emotionally strung out the day I met him, I dunno if he's like that all the time though. If I don't have him mixed up with a different kid, he has I think an older sister who has a comparatively but not equally weird name.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Just posting some dead Hoes.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

UltraVariant posted:

I grew up with a kid called Storm, and another called Stormchild. Like everyone else in my hometown, they were high as gently caress 24/7, and were therefore really chill people.

Pipsies
Nov 14, 2014

sweeperbravo posted:

There's a young kid in town named Storm. He looks like a character from a Dreamworks movie. I felt bad, he seemed really emotionally strung out the day I met him, I dunno if he's like that all the time though. If I don't have him mixed up with a different kid, he has I think an older sister who has a comparatively but not equally weird name.

We have a kid in town named Storm, and another named Thunder. I don't know anything about Thunder, but Storm is famous now for sucking a dude off in a highschool bathroom. Gotta love Bumfuck No-where, Indiana! :banjo:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Bobby Hoes got buried alive?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

He's not dead yet.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Say Nothing posted:

Just posting some dead Hoes.

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=543321

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

My friend had a piece of paper that had names of people in one of her classes (for a project I guess) and I took a glance at it.

Your parents hate you Yena, Zye, and Kattianna.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

House Louse posted:

I didn't know they invited children to join.

We don't invite anyone to join.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Bobby Hoes got buried alive?

Don't be an idiot, he died etching the year of his death into his gravestone.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Phlegmish posted:

He's not dead yet.

Well, he will be soon, he's very ill.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hopefully he doesn't have what this unfortunate woman had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
First name: Jaelynn. Middle name: Zaelee.

Edit: I am seriously going to name my future child something like Henry or Ruth, but maybe normal, grandparent-sounding names will be back in style by then.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 07:23 on May 14, 2015