Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

As long as attendance is increasing there isn't really a reason to not raise ticket prices from a business standpoint.

Happitoo posted:

Tomorrow is Epcot, then Thursday we're back to Barnstormer... Errr... Magic Kingdom

Your daughter sounds adorable! I hear if you go to Barnstormer at Rope Drop and sit in the middle of the train they'll just let you go around again without having to go around, since people are more likely to wait for the front seats. Does she want to try Mine Train?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

couldcareless posted:

My theory for the price hikes is they are trying to curb crowd levels as attendance is rising faster than they can create space to fill. You can see this is kinda working too. I believe the average crowd increase in 2013 to 2014 was more than 2014 to 2015 yet revenue is still rising. Couple this with the diminishing number of rooms available for their occasionally deals (free dining, 30% off, etc) and it makes sense. Now the obvious problem with this is prices never go down, just up. I'm assuming once they get to a comfortable crowd level again in the parks, they are gonna start upping the number of discount offerings once more. But that's just me spit balling.

I think you are probably near bullseye. They have more than enough international guests coming to the parks plus fill-ins with families who save up for years and lastly those who have discretionary income and don't give fucks, they just come. AP's were valuable at one time to keep people coming through the gates on shoulder seasons but now it's not necessary so the best way to be rid of them is hike up the price until the numbers dwindle to the level they can stand.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We did MK until 5 today. Had breakfast at BOG and managed 2 rides on mine train before park opened. We then proceeded to knock out nearly everything else before dinner reservations at California Grill. After dinner, we went to Trader Sams which we were lucky enough to have no wait at 7:30 and had a blast (it was our first time) and made lot of friends due to sitting at the surfboard table.

Tomorrow is Hollywood Studios with Yachtsman for dinner and Thursday AK and Halloween Party. If any goons will be at the Thursday party, look for a Flynn Rider/Han Solo and Rapunzel/Leia mashup couple.

Obligatory picture of haunted mansion without a wait that was a multiple of 5:

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Edna Mode posted:

Your daughter sounds adorable! I hear if you go to Barnstormer at Rope Drop and sit in the middle of the train they'll just let you go around again without having to go around, since people are more likely to wait for the front seats. Does she want to try Mine Train?

We've got fast passes for mine train for tomorrow, Friday & Sunday. As well as breakfast at 8 in the castle tomorrow, so we may be able to squeeze in another ride. Or a visit with Elsa & Anna. I'm sure she's going to love mine train. Her 2nd favourite ride is Thunder Mountain & 3rd is Barnstormer (Thunder Mountain's line was too long for more rides yesterday she felt) so I'm sure she'll love it.

Friday is our attempt at space mountain, although I'm not sure she'll manage to get on. She loves roller coasters but hates drops in the dark (she really doesn't like the drop on pirates, but enjoys the ride otherwise). She also gets nervous about things she can't see and won't ride them. So we'll see how that goes. For comparison she's perfectly fine riding a gravatron ride at the fair (those things that spin in a circle and push you against the wall) that lifts you vertically so you're staring at the ground, because she can see it and knows what is going to happen.

We tried watching videos of Space Mountain and Everest, but all that apparently accomplished was letting her know Everest goes backwards and freaking her out.

And yes, my daughter is wonderful. She is always so happy (even during meltdowns). If you see a little blonde girl dancing or jumping through the parks handing out Tsum Tsums to people being nice, or kids having a meltdown, that's her.

Oh, and if anyone is curious, her (new) favourite ride is Kali River Rapids after riding it for the first time (2 times) on Monday. My least favourite ride in all the parks? Kali River Rapids. I hate getting soaked on rides. Kali & Splash Mountain are brutal for me. At least splash you get a neat dark ride & a picture. Luckily my daughter hates the drop on Splash so I don't need to do it unless she says she wants to. We walked off bone dry on Kali though, so it wasn't too bad for me this time :)

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Boxman posted:

Two related questions. Is there somewhere that isn't in Orlando that can I buy this (if I go to my local Disney store, will they have it?), and how long do they stay live?

I've got tentative plans to go in a year but holy poo poo I want that so much more than any of the generic color or character ones.

I don't know if anyone else was lusting after the HM Magicband like I was, but Disney threw it up on their webstore.

I don't even have a trip booked and I'm buying this. Just in case.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm starting to wonder how much I'll even go to HHN next year. I've always gotten a Frequent Fear Pass since the first time I went in 2006, but the event has been slowly and slowly getting less entertaining and more annoying. This year and last year, the crowds have been so tremendous that I can no longer reliably hit every house in one night and I end up spending several hours in the middle of the night not able to do much because all of the lines are an hour or more. And speaking as a former scareactor, security is complete dogshit and violence is the way of life among patrons. You don't even necessarily get drunks, just assholes and sociopaths who think it's funny to hurt park employees. Drunks are bad, but myself and my friends have been assaulted by people who are completely sober.

Even then, it's just not as entertaining as it could be. The massive restrictions placed on scareactors (due to Universal's almost pathological fear of lawsuits and desire to shove a line through as fast as possible for maximum capacity) keeps most of them from having any meaningful ability to interact with guests or do scares that are more than jumping out from a hole and retreating immediately. Last year I began attending smaller scale local haunts and other amusement park Halloween events and discovered that virtually all of them were much more fun and immersive than HHN, with Universal only winning for scale and detail (except Netherworld in Atlanta, which has HHN quality detail but is willing to go outside the norm with what it does to guests). I'd rather spend my haunt season traveling to other states and seeing local stuff than going to HHN over and over.

Were you in a house or a scare zone? My friend got a job as a scareactor this year in a scare zone and says that they're pretty much on their own with regards to security. From what I've seen, security does a pretty good job in the actual houses, but outside the houses they're obsessively focused on underage drinking to the exclusion of everything else for some reason.

USO definitely needs to do something to address the crowd levels at HHN though. This year is particularly insane even on off-peak nights. poo poo, open up Islands of Adventure if you have to.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

This seems relevant

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/halloween-horror-nights-actors-quit-after-being-assaulted/36085060

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Boxman posted:

I don't know if anyone else was lusting after the HM Magicband like I was, but Disney threw it up on their webstore.

I don't even have a trip booked and I'm buying this. Just in case.

Yeah it's also the new style which the band is thinner and feels more comfortable.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Phlegmatist posted:

Were you in a house or a scare zone? My friend got a job as a scareactor this year in a scare zone and says that they're pretty much on their own with regards to security. From what I've seen, security does a pretty good job in the actual houses, but outside the houses they're obsessively focused on underage drinking to the exclusion of everything else for some reason.

USO definitely needs to do something to address the crowd levels at HHN though. This year is particularly insane even on off-peak nights. poo poo, open up Islands of Adventure if you have to.

I worked both. I was in a scarezone in 2012 and two houses in 2013. Houses have a limited number of ops staff who stand in the rooms, not enough to man every room, and many of them are encouraged to continue shouting at guests to keep moving (maximum capacity = maximum profit), which really screws with your fun in the house. But they also have no authority to actually drag troublemakers out of the house any more than a ride attendant could physically pull someone out of their seat on the Mummy; they have to follow them to the exit and point them out to the security and police there, who may or may not grab them. I've told police about someone wildly taking swings into an actor's boohole and the officer simply stared as they walked away. I've had security guards actually catch troublemakers outside, but they have little ability or authority to physically stop people (many of them are out of shape, elderly, or both) and they've simply let people walk away without attempting to pursue them.

In the scarezones, many of the security guards and police officers on staff don't spend nearly enough time watching the actors. The coordinators and stage managers (again, similar in authority to your typical attraction staff) try to tell off people who are harassing actors non-physically, but they have little to no ability to remove troublemakers who aren't putting hands on people and the OPD and security won't try to kick them out of the park for yelling at people. They may not even intervene in people who are obviously drunk and belligerent until they've already attacked someone or are so drunk that they can't stand or speak coherently. So actors need to take hits to actually get security to react, and it's not uncommon to have to run around the zone looking for security because they and the police are often chatting in a corner somewhere instead of monitoring the situation.

Front gate security puts on a big show with their metal detectors and pat-downs, but it's altogether useless. They still rely on bad profiling methods like searching people based on age, rather than any suspicious behavior like attempting to hide something from view. Any competent security professional will tell you that profiling based on age, race, gender, etc. is useless at best and counterproductive at worst, but Universal's hired security will still demand to search my entire waistline and both ankles 360 degrees around when I don't set off the detector and put all of my pocket stuff in the basket because I'm a guy in my 20s, while a 50-year-old woman can set off every alarm in the known universe and they won't even ask to check her bag or pockets because "Someone that old and nice-looking isn't gonna be carrying anything."

The harassment and violence scareactors face has gotten big enough to land in the local news, plus the big theme park blogs. I personally know at least 7 actors quit the past weekend. But nothing really gets better because of two reasons:

1. Universal puts profits above safety, which discourages them from curbing alcohol sales (they've even expanded the number of alcohol stands, and for years have provided beer and liquor from bars in the house queues that guests need to chug before entering) or trying to intervene with drunk and/or belligerent guests before they start attacking people. They could have police and security guide openly drunk people backstage and let them sober up before returning to the park or throw out guests as soon as they begin taunting or harassing actors, but that denies them future profits from the guests if they don't come back.

2. Many of the scareactors legitimately view the violence and harassment (which includes being kicked in the face, bleeding wounds, and eye injuries as a small sampling of what people come home with) as a standard risk of the job and figure that the people who quit for their safety just aren't tough enough to handle it. I've been to Halloween events and attractions around the country and there is simply no theme park event or local haunted house that has nearly as much violence and free-flowing alcohol as HHN Orlando. Sure, the violence happens elsewhere, but it happens at HHN Orlando to such a higher degree than everywhere else that it signifies a serious problem.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Here's today's trip report:

Fuckin' rain, man.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Hollywood studios today. Knocked out everything, managed to get the hourly top score on toy Story twice, missed daily by 50 grand or so, monthly can go to hell. Happy with the cool light effect my star wars magic band makes at scanners. Ponchos are worth their weight in gold.
Wrapping up yachtsman dinner right now. Had the 18oz dry aged Kansas strip which was fantastic. Picture for your drooling pleasure

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

couldcareless posted:

We did MK until 5 today. Had breakfast at BOG and managed 2 rides on mine train before park opened. We then proceeded to knock out nearly everything else before dinner reservations at California Grill. After dinner, we went to Trader Sams which we were lucky enough to have no wait at 7:30 and had a blast (it was our first time) and made lot of friends due to sitting at the surfboard table.

Tomorrow is Hollywood Studios with Yachtsman for dinner and Thursday AK and Halloween Party. If any goons will be at the Thursday party, look for a Flynn Rider/Han Solo and Rapunzel/Leia mashup couple.

Obligatory picture of haunted mansion without a wait that was a multiple of 5:

I'm pretty sure we were sitting at the same surf board at trader sams! I'm the guy from Kentucky who was with my girl friend. We both work at Disney. Great meeting you guys and hope you all continue to have a great trip.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
That would be us. (saw your pm, app sucks, can't reply on phone)
Good seeing yall, it was fun.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm all paid off now for my trip, now for the horrible fun time of waiting :woop:

I'm trying to see what Quick Service restaurants are the best, I think in Epcot i'll just go with what I feel like for the day, but any suggestions for Magic Kingdom and MGM? Animal Kingdom I want to go to the Flame Tree. Be Our guest is probably out of the question as I didn't book a reservation for it. I have read Cosmic Rays is cool though because of the giant Animatronic.

PS Is Early of Sandwich that good?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Happitoo posted:

Here's today's trip report:

Fuckin' rain, man.

Too right. The mouse shook our family out of 50 bucks in poncho sales. But our clothes were dry by golly.

Small note: BOG is very much as good as advertised. The lamb is fantastic.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Abu Dave posted:

I'm all paid off now for my trip, now for the horrible fun time of waiting :woop:

I'm trying to see what Quick Service restaurants are the best, I think in Epcot i'll just go with what I feel like for the day, but any suggestions for Magic Kingdom and MGM? Animal Kingdom I want to go to the Flame Tree. Be Our guest is probably out of the question as I didn't book a reservation for it. I have read Cosmic Rays is cool though because of the giant Animatronic.

PS Is Early of Sandwich that good?

Earl of Sandwich is decent at worst and often quite good. I'm a fan of their 1762 sandwich myself, since it's a relatively inexpensive hot meal with loads of flavor.

Cosmic Ray's has the same standard fare of burgers, chicken fingers, hot dogs, and fries as pretty much every generic quick service restaurant. On the other hand, Pecos Bill has recently had a menu change and now sells Tex-Mex style dishes like fajitas and Chipotle-style rice bowls. The Columbia Harbour House is more seafood oriented with stuff like clam chowder, lobster rolls, fish & chips, and sandwiches.

Flame Tree is definitely a workable option for Animal Kingdom. The Harambe Market has African street foods like chicken skewers, barbecued ribs, and South African-style corndogs.

Hollywood Studios has fewer unique counter service options, all of them mostly serving typical American fare. Nothing bad, but you'll have a hard time finding anything more complex than burgers and fries. Try the ABC Commissary for some Asian-American dishes.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 29, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Pecos Bills is the best quick service of the entire resort now because they have quacamole on the unlimited toppings bar :D

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Definitely recommend Harambe Market. Go to the last stand, get the ribs, chickpea salad, custard, sangria.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, Epcot has pretty much no bad options once you leave Future World. The generic "burger, chicken fingers, fries" restaurants are stuffed in there. In World Showcase, you can seriously just walk into whatever looks good and probably come out happy. Morocco's Tangierine Cafe is my favorite option among the quick service choices.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bottom Liner posted:

Pecos Bills is the best quick service of the entire resort now because they have quacamole on the unlimited toppings bar :D

But they got rid of all the cheese.

The worst thing I've ever had at the place was chili cheese nachos at the old dumpy place across from Pirates. It was Hormel chili that had a dead cockroach in it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Sleepy Hollow refreshments in magic Kingdom has a spicy/sweet chicken waffle sandwich which I would eat every day if I could. I would keep hammering the BOG lunch up to last minute and see if you can grab one as well as walking up and seeing if they will seat you anyway.

At epcot, I like sunshine seasons in the land Pavilion. Their food is really good and you have a ton of choices.

Hollywood is kind of a crap shoot. We change it up every year. This year we did studio catering Co. and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Wolf gang puck express I'd say is the best Disney Springs quick service.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess it's not out of the question to just park hop to a different paek to eat. Epcot seems to have so many great choices and MK also. The chicken waffles sounds like exactly my poo poo so I'm excited for that.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I wouldn't recommend spending time park hopping just to eat counter service, unless you're at Hollywood Studios. Every other park has good quick dining options.

My personal favorite counter service:

Magic Kingdom: Starlight Ray's (get the roasted chicken, everything else is just standard park fare), Columbia Harbor House (haven't been in years, but I hear it's still good)

Epcot: Tangerine Cafe (shwarma!), Sunshine Seasons (great selection, and the food quality is maybe the best at any counter service place)

Animal Kingdom: Flame Tree BBQ

Hollywood Studios: The Commissary is okay. This past visit we just snacked at HS and then took the boat to the Boardwalk area to eat.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I'm back from my super short trip. Sunday was MK + party, Monday was Epcot for F&W, and a bit of time Tuesday to walk MK again. Way short, but nice. I was pleased with the weather and I didn't find it as humid as when I went in April.

The Halloween party was cool but going as an adult couple it was only so engaging. We saw the stage show, parade, and fireworks, all of which were awesome. Haunted Mansion had an hour+ wait so I said gently caress that. No trick-or-treating as it didn't seem special and no character meets, so it was more enjoying the somewhat shorter lines, though I didn't notice a massive drop anywhere. BOG for lunch and dinner were meh as always. Their short ribs are a fine standby but their strip steak isn't quite up to par. I think they seasoned it with something I disliked...

Epcot was definitely the big win this time around. I think we got to 20 countries, maybe a bit more, doing a lunch+dinner dine around the world. I don't know which country would be my top choice, but I did really like the fillet from Canada and the nachos from Mexico (more like some kind of chip casserole).

The whole trip was solely for dinner at Victoria & Albert's and it is consistently amazing. We were back at the chef's table where we had ten courses of awesomeness. I added in some shaved white truffles which were devoured during the bread courses and Miyazaki wagyu which melts like butter. I did make the mistake of going with the wine pairing, so eight glasses of wine certainly did me in for the evening. I had the worst loving hangover the next day, but I had take-home chocolates to make up for it. I love this place, but I wish the servers weren't so uptight. They won't hang out and make smalltalk unless it's 10 minutes describing the grape varietals in my drink. Uguu.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bottom Liner posted:

Was just there last week. Burrito was surprisingly good. Cheese was present at the toppings bar. Burrito comes poorly folded, so you can add toppings, but seems to cause the kitchen staff to misjudge quantity, because that thing was a (delicious) hard-to-fold sloppy mess.

Across the pathway at Golden Oak Outpost, my girlfriend insists that the pulled-pork French fries are spectacular, but they didn't have any when we were there. :(

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Tortuga Tavern now has a bbq themed menu that looks pretty good. Cosmic Ray's is decent but it's right there on the edge of Tomorrowland and Fantasyland and it gets pretty crowded. I love Casey's Corner's little corn dog nuggets. Those things are so good.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Yesterday's trip report: Magic Kingdom part deux

Princess-Palooza! We started with breakfast at the castle (side note we had lunch at Akershus on Wednesday which comes up). When did they cut Akershus & the castle down to 3 rotating princesses & 1 at the front? I thought it was always 4 going table to table.

Anyway, my daughter got to be honourary princess of the day and lead everyone up the stairs to open the restaurant. She got kind of lost and tried to lead everyone to the bathrooms. I was really impressed with Aurora. It was the same Aurora we had seen at lunch in Epcot the day before and she remembered my daughter. She said it was nice that we could travel from the kingdom of Epcot to the Magic Kingdom together.

After breakfast we managed to get in line for Elsa & Anna with a 15 min. wait. By the time we got out it was an hour+.

Then it was off to Enchanted Tales with Belle, where my daughter got to be the Beast.

We did a couple rides, then sat out front of the tea cups to wait 10 min. for our mine train FP. Alice came out, so we met Alice & the Mad Hatter.

Mine Train was awesome. It replaced Barnstormer as my daughter's 3rd favourite ride (although we'll never get to ride it 5 times in a row).

Then we met Daisy, Minnie, Goofy & Donald at the circus. It was super fun.

After that it was off to adventureland for some pirate treasure hunts. We wanted to call it an early day because the party crowds were going to be showing up at 4 and things get busy then. So a little after 2 we started making our way toward the front for a quick Tinker Bell meet. On the way we ran into Mary Poppins in the hub with 3 people in line. So we stopped for a visit with her, then off to Tinker Bell!

After a hard day of meeting characters we headed over to the Contemporary for an early dinner. And a secret mission! See my daughter wanted a Shelley Mae bear. The one that can wear the costumes. Not the smaller ones. Did you know that they're nowhere to be found in any of the parks or resorts? They're in 2 places right now. Disney Springs & the Contemporary gift shop.

My daughter used her wishing star at breakfast to wish for a Shelley Mae bear. She also decided to cover her bases by asking Santa for a Shelley Mae bear in a couple weeks when we are home. Since I'm Canadian I can't use the shop Disney Parks app I needed to do things old school. So one staff member at the gift shop distracted my daughter while the other rang everything up. She didn't even realize the Bears were in the store.

Today is Magic Kingdom round 3: Attempting to ride Space Mountain & Be Our Guest for dinner!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

That sounds like a lovely day!

Ten more days to go for our trip. I may perish from excitement in the interim.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

160 until I'm back.

:(

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Probably about a year or two until I'm back. Trying to figure out how to drag my other half there.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Probably 2017 till I get to go back. Hopefully avatar land is open by then. Wish we had a timeline for the Hollywood Studios expansion!

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Trip report for Magic Kingdom round 3:

As mentioned previously my daughter hates not being able to see what happens on rides and drops in the dark. So clearly trying to ride Space Mountain today was a good idea. She was really nervous going in. Luckily we had fast passes and got to the front of the ride fast. Right out of the gate from in front of me I hear "WhooooHooooo!". She loved it. She loved it so much she wants to take a shot at Everest tomorrow morning. Whether or not she'll get on once we're there, different story. But she wants to try.

Other than that, just a bunch of playing Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom and some rides we had done before (Astro Orbiter, Mine Train). Also I got 10 people telling me they loved my bright orange Carosel of Progress shirt. So that made me feel good.

Be Our Guest was amazing. I really loved my steak and the entire place was just phenomenal. Hopefully the Skipper restaurant is done half as well as Be Our Guest.

Tomorrow: Everest attempt #2, and me attempting not to murder someone while we do Agent P missions in Epcot on the busiest Food & Wine day. Also Soarin' and dinner at Garden Grill.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Edna Mode posted:

Probably 2017 till I get to go back. Hopefully avatar land is open by then. Wish we had a timeline for the Hollywood Studios expansion!

Rumor is 2018 is when HS will be complete.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Horror Nights is really good this year, only huge negative is the crowds. They added one more house than usual this year and opened up Diagon Alley which gave them more capacity (except most people are in the lines not in Diagon Alley) so I think they were at levels they would have closed the park at last year if it weren't for the added space of Diagon. I think they need to just limit the event much better instead of trying to expand capacity in ways like that. Tonight and Tomorrow should be very light compared to the last several weeks though. So now may be the best time to go.

I saw three people taken away by security/cops (different people at different times) the other night. They seemed more on the ball after those stories got out (it's not like its the first year they happened, just first time I've seen actual news stories about it). They were hyper sensitive about underage drinking because alchohol sales got stopped for a week several years ago because of it. Horror nights in California doesn't even sell alcohol.

You only have today and tomorrow to see the best "I don't give a gently caress" performance of all time from Bill Paxton in the Twister ride. It's last day is tomorrow. It's closing for "Race through New York with Jimmy Fallon." THere's a lot of new stuff opening up next year and 2017. The completely redone Hulk, Kong, Fast and Furious, the New Waterpark, Hotel, new expanded Cabana Bay, and Jimmy Fallow (Plus one other thing that hasn't been announced). So it's pretty busy there.

Nintendo and especially Mario Kart is coming after that. Think full scale Interactive/controllable "Test Track" with augemented reality windshields.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 31, 2015

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
What's the best show at WDW? Already saw Lion King, which was great. Wife wants to do Fantasmic, but I don't want to do a separate evening trip back to Hollywood Studios. I believe that's when and where it's showed.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Finding Nemo, no doubt. If you're talking fireworks nothing beats Wishes (MK).

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams
Leaving for my trip in 12 days with my sister. 9 nights on property. A family member just offered to purchase a quick service dining plan for the duration for us.

So quick gut check answers, should I graciously accept, or ask for the $750 in cash instead? Never done a DDP, we only have 2 reservations the entire stay for sit-down dinners, and 1 day off property.

I'm just not sure how convenient the plan is vs just ordering what we want and paying for it, cost be damned. When I researched it when booking months ago the consensus just seemed to be that the plan ends up costing a bit more as a general rule. And I think it might mean more for the relative to give us a plan vs cash, more specific for the trip. But I'm pragmatic enough to ask for cash instead if the value isn't there.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
A quick service might not be too bad. I think I had only one meal out of pocket (QS) wise, and I liked having to not think about everything. But then again, I don't try to get "full value" out of everything, I just want to enjoy myself and not have to think about pulling out money or a card.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Take the cash. You'll be there during food and wine, so just spend a good chunk of it there and enjoy yourselves. You could easily feed yourselves for $400-$500 after food and wine and your reservations.

EDIT: F&W will actually end during your stay, but still, you don't need quick service on the days you're at EPCOT before it ends, and the days you have table service reservations you'd only need 1 quick service meal, so a lot would be going to waste either way.

PS: Boo to you, happy Halloween

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Quite the contrary, dining plans are actually better to have during food and wine fest because your snacks, which any other time of the year simply exist to give you your daily starbucks, can now be used on an $9 lobster roll or steak.