Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JcDent posted:

This is all fine and dandy when hiring people who'll have co-workers, but how does that apply to stores other than Warhammer World?

Because if you hire someone to match the culture of hard working, honest people you're more likely to trust this person to go off and run a one man store where he'll see his boss maybe once every 6 weeks. They recruit people who put the effort in, but are honest enough to know when they've hosed up and call to ask for help. Its all about getting the right people. The risk they are talking about is that they are not recruiting these people, and he's right. The amount of store manager turn over is horrendous, but thats not entirely down to the recruitment of the store managers. That's also a reflection of who they recruited for the next level up, and the level above that etc. There's a massive, massive internal shakeup going on right now.

It's also not just about how they interact with co-workers. You have to remember that these guys are the front line representation of the company. Having a guy who's lazy, puts in the minimum amount required and is just a generally unpleasent person to be around would do massive harm to the local customer base.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Oh, it doesn't. I should have added that while it's a sensible hiring strategy for most businesses, for GW it's just shorthand for "we want unquestioning yes-men who will push whatever nonsense we tell them to". :v:

No, it really isn't. You can choose to believe that, and that's your opinion, but from everything I know about the internal structure of GW, there are long and hard conversations between management levels about the direction the company is taking. The misconception comes from people who ask them and are then surprised when they say their company is great, and that yes, this £500 army is amazing because thats literally their job. Up to a few years ago one of their customer service checks was literally Be positive about GW's products, people and services. They will always be like that to john public because they never know if what they say will get repeated on the internet verbatim (It will) Privately however there are always dissenting voices.

Mange Mite posted:

Uh, Trumpeter isn't really the "best" and the other two aren't even Chinese (HK and Taiwan respectively). IDK how much they outsource to China, but probably not too much for the latter.

That said, it is certainly possible to get good quality from China if you ride them hard and spend enough on QA. However, this also means you may not save as much money as you think once all the bullshit lowball bids and the price of setup/tooling, monitoring, and QA are all accounted for along with just the general risks associated with that change.

Totally unrelated business, but my company sources a lot of footwear from china, and the difference between what you think you're getting and what you actually get is staggering. The production run samples are literally perfect, you give the okay and then 3 months later the ship arrives and what comes out the boxes is awful.

We have to pay a people to be in China full time keeping an eye on whats being loaded and essentially doing an independent QC. We also source footwear from Portugal and Turkey, yet don't need the team of people running around there so its really a lot closer in cost than people think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KobayashiMaru
Dec 10, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

We have to pay a people to be in China full time keeping an eye on whats being loaded and essentially doing an independent QC.

Yep, just part of operating costs over there. It's also useful to have an engineer or two offshore to make changes in real-time because manufacturing engineers in China are educated less/differently and are notoriously slow with troubleshooting and implementing design changes. But it's all a part of doing business over there; all this, and it's still cheaper to go over there!

Another anecdote: Wyrd miniatures has been having some weird scale problems with some of their Chinese-manufactured injection sprues. Just another cost of doing business.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Well, the third movie was basically a CGI game of Warhams, at least. I imagine that made making minis for it pretty easy.

Yeah. I saw that movie with friends, many of whom are wargamers, and that scene just clicked right in the "Oh drat I wanna do that with my dwarven/elf army" department.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kerzoro posted:

Yeah. I saw that movie with friends, many of whom are wargamers, and that scene just clicked right in the "Oh drat I wanna do that with my dwarven/elf army" department.

I didn't meant that as a compliment. The third movie was an outright bad movie, I think.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

Totally unrelated business, but my company sources a lot of footwear from china, and the difference between what you think you're getting and what you actually get is staggering. The production run samples are literally perfect, you give the okay and then 3 months later the ship arrives and what comes out the boxes is awful.

We have to pay a people to be in China full time keeping an eye on whats being loaded and essentially doing an independent QC. We also source footwear from Portugal and Turkey, yet don't need the team of people running around there so its really a lot closer in cost than people think.

A company I used to work for had the exact same problem with Italy contractors. It's really just an issue that comes with a lot of outsourced labor. The further removed from your company it is the worse it gets.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

KobayashiMaru posted:

Another anecdote: Wyrd miniatures has been having some weird scale problems with some of their Chinese-manufactured injection sprues. Just another cost of doing business.

Mantic and Reaper both had some memorable problems with scale - the huge Bones zombie dragon wasn't supposed to be THAT huge, and the Basillean holy knights also came out somewhat larger than intended.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Night10194 posted:

I didn't meant that as a compliment. The third movie was an outright bad movie, I think.

I've not seen it, but the description perfectly matches what I've heard - cgi mans hit each other for 3 hours, go home now.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

petrol blue posted:

I've not seen it, but the description perfectly matches what I've heard - cgi mans hit each other for 3 hours, go home now.

Pretty much, was an exceptionally boring movie.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Hong Kong is China, has been for a while now, and I'm sorry you feel that way about Trumpeter but you're wrong. Though Dragon is the actual best.

How does most hobby kit builders sound? All of the GW vehicles are poorly crafted kids toys compared to the stuff made by Dragon, Trumpeter, AFV Club, Bronco, Hobby Boss, Hasegawa, newer molds from Tamiya, Bandai

hosed up if true

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Cainer posted:

Pretty much, was an exceptionally boring movie.

This, plus a chronically bad sound system in the theater we saw it in, really soured the series for me.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Night10194 posted:

For a frame of reference who haven't seen it, the second movie ends with Smaug zooming towards Lake Town or whatever as a massive cliffhanger. By the 15 minute mark of the third movie, Smaug is dead. It spends the next 2 hours and 15 minutes doing fan service and outsourced CGI battles while no character development or plot happens.

Would a reason the Hobbit stuff isn't so popular is because you pay ~$20 for a blister pack of 3 bent up resin dudes and you need a couple dozen of them? I was really interested in the Goblin Town thing until I found out it was like $150 for 45 models, half of which cost $20 in a box by themselves.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
That's why I avoided it as long as I did, though a helpful poster mentioned a source for cheap Viking minis that could easily be subbed in for Rohan.

I also bit the bullet and bought a copy of Battle of the Five armies because at least it's self-contained. I might well want more models, but unlike a 40K battle force, I don't think I actually need more to field two decent full armies. (That plus I really did love Warmaster.)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Chill la Chill posted:

FFG actually cares about rules

Let's not get carried away. :v:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
X-wing is loving tight

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

When you adjust for inflation, the Hobbit movies are significantly less successful than the Lord of the Rings movies, though still highly successful. General consensus among nerds (i.e. the people who might be interested in buying miniature armies) is that the Lord of the Rings movies were much better. Critical consensus is much the same, the Hobbit movies aren't generating any Oscar buzz (outside of expected stuff like Special Effects, which they haven't won yet) and critics are divided about them, especially the third one.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Moola posted:

X-wing is loving tight

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Goddamnit did they change the font again

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Moola posted:

X-wing is loving tight

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

ibntumart posted:

I also bit the bullet and bought a copy of Battle of the Five armies because at least it's self-contained.

Holy gently caress, how much did that set you back and where did you find one?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, I'd love a set of that almost as mush as I'd want a decent High Elf Warmaster army. Not that I could likely afford either. :v:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

moths posted:

Holy gently caress, how much did that set you back and where did you find one?

$190 on eBay for a new/unused box.

Yeah, I know---I justify it by telling myself that relative to other GW games, it's a bargain, but deep inside I know it's still a pretty penny for a mass of wee plastic elves and goblins. It just hits a lot of my wargaming buttons, getting my wife to give it a try being high among them.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

When you adjust for inflation, the Hobbit movies are significantly less successful than the Lord of the Rings movies, though still highly successful. General consensus among nerds (i.e. the people who might be interested in buying miniature armies) is that the Lord of the Rings movies were much better. Critical consensus is much the same, the Hobbit movies aren't generating any Oscar buzz (outside of expected stuff like Special Effects, which they haven't won yet) and critics are divided about them, especially the third one.

The third movie had an intense amount of characters wordlessly staring, and I think Legolas got more dialogue than Bilbo. I prefer the animated film from the 70s or whatever, especially for Thorin's death and last words.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

frest posted:

The third movie had an intense amount of characters wordlessly staring, and I think Legolas got more dialogue than Bilbo. I prefer the animated film from the 70s or whatever, especially for Thorin's death and last words.

Legolas and the entirely made up love interest got more dialogue (read: more than zero) than the entirety of the dwarves sans Thorin and the brothers. I think the fat one toots a horn at the end, which may or may not be the most any of them do for the entire movie.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Business Gorillas posted:

Legolas and the entirely made up love interest got more dialogue (read: more than zero) than the entirety of the dwarves sans Thorin and the brothers. I think the fat one toots a horn at the end, which may or may not be the most any of them do for the entire movie.

I can't cite a source or whatever, but according to reddit the actress that played the lady elf would only take the part on the condition that there was no love triangle. Later, she was called back for reshoots because they added a love triangle.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

And the entire plot went nowhere. I legit couldn't help laughing when she had her big WHY DOES IT HURT scene.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's a real shame about how corny the romance and fights were since the tauriel/Thranduil dynamic was more interesting.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Night10194 posted:

And the entire plot went nowhere. I legit couldn't help laughing when she had her big WHY DOES IT HURT scene.

A bunch of us went to go see the movie and were legitimately surprised that the elf king didn't cut her head off when she told him to end her pain.

edit: If I didn't see it with friends I woulda walked out when half the cast from the original LotR movie go rescue gandalf from the ringwraiths with a bigger budget.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Every fight seemed to be Maximum Elf Bullshit, too.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Galadriel's scene was really corny too - I made the mistake of going to a dubbed (instead of subtitled) screening and you couldn't even understand a thing she said.

On that topic, HOLY gently caress was the spanish dubbing inconsistent. Everyone's surnames and every single place was in Spanish, except for Aragorn's nickname, Raven's Hill and Sackville. It was really funny when they said "Sackville-Bolsón".

Also the worms. THE WORMS.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Well, glad I haven't watched it.

So, LotR: poo poo IP? Or is GW poo poo at promoting said IP? Considering how everyone and their fantasy hating grandma lost their poo poo over Shadows of Mordor, I'd say GW is at fault. I mean, if PP can promote their Jules Verne's Tech of Battle, then surely there's a place for miniature game based on LotR, right?

AS for Chinese manufacturing, /tg/ is always a battleground between people who have more Chinese plastics than anything else, between those who got shafted by Chinese plastics (bent swords, melted parts, wrong order shipped) and rabid GW loyalists.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Night10194 posted:

Well, the third movie was basically a CGI game of Warhams, at least. I imagine that made making minis for it pretty easy.

Not quite, Peter Jackson didn't FORGE THE NARRATIVE as much as a true Warham would.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

JcDent posted:

So, LotR: poo poo IP? Or is GW poo poo at promoting said IP? Considering how everyone and their fantasy hating grandma lost their poo poo over Shadows of Mordor, I'd say GW is at fault. I mean, if PP can promote their Jules Verne's Tech of Battle, then surely there's a place for miniature game based on LotR, right?

AS for Chinese manufacturing, /tg/ is always a battleground between people who have more Chinese plastics than anything else, between those who got shafted by Chinese plastics (bent swords, melted parts, wrong order shipped) and rabid GW loyalists.

Not with the kind of volume GW was betting on.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

JcDent posted:

My reasoning for not getting into LotR when it first came out as a kid was "Yeah this looks cool but I already have Warhammer so what's the point?". The only way you'd know about the stuff is if you were already a GW customer, so if you were a WFB player you already had an army of pretty much the same stuff.

I can see why the Hobbit failed miserably though, considering they did the "halve the contents of the box while keeping the same price" thing to the entire LotR range and then put most of the Hobbit stuff out as finecast blisters. You can probably run $10/figure without even trying. Put this with a set of movies not nearly as popular as LotR and you have a very expensive contract that you're hosed into producing minis for.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Azran posted:

Hey, someone in the Warmachine thread mentioned GW is dropping some of the WHFB armies? Can anyone give me a rundown of this?

Supposedly, WHFB 9th edition's backstory involves reality shattering and the new game takes place in distinct reality bubbles. The reality shattering process ate half the armies in the game. Lizardmen, Brettonians, etc. sucked into the ether.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Broken Loose posted:

Supposedly, WHFB 9th edition's backstory involves reality shattering and the new game takes place in distinct reality bubbles. The reality shattering process ate half the armies in the game. Lizardmen, Brettonians, etc. sucked into the ether.

Sort of. Lizardmen gently caress off into space on their stone spaceships, Brettonnia gets eaten by the Skaven in the upcoming book, and the other armies get consolidated into 6 factions.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
From what I understand the LotR range was also very popular because a lot of the people who were buying and painting it weren't there for the game but were just fantasy/historical/military/gundam modeler types who wanted to build and make kits from one of the biggest movie trilogies ever.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
LotR were good movies. They felt big. They were big.

The Hobbit is a small, modest (and really good) story, and the movies felt like small movies with big budgets (and a poo poo story).

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Mange Mite posted:

Not really, even back when they had major releases with healthy sales like the DoW series their royalty income wasn't very high. That's just how the finances of video games work - as with most things, it's the people who front the money who make the money. And GW is way too financially conservative to really fund games themselves, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you consider how expensive games are and how risky they are plus the fact that GW doesn't know poo poo about video games.
That's precisely why they leave the videogames to companies that specialise in that area. The royalties are pretty much free money, W don't have to do much outside of send some dude over every now and then to make sure the developers aren't writing Ultramarines out of the fluff or something.
It's an added cashflow with absolute bear minimum effort (even less than what they put into their rulebooks!), I can't imagine any company saying no to more of that.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

HiveCommander posted:

That's precisely why they leave the videogames to companies that specialise in that area. The royalties are pretty much free money, W don't have to do much outside of send some dude over every now and then to make sure the developers aren't writing Ultramarines out of the fluff or something.
It's an added cashflow with absolute bear minimum effort (even less than what they put into their rulebooks!), I can't imagine any company saying no to more of that.

Judging by the games released year, specialize would a strong word. Seems like everyone involved puts a bare minimum effort, especially since those mobile/PC games look like reskins of developer's previous works.

Oh, back in the day when Relic was good... Hell, I even liked Mark of Chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

HiveCommander posted:

I can't imagine any company saying no to more of that.

At one point it was very explicitly a policy of GW to minimize their video game licenses, and to specifically only license games which were only vaguely related to their IP because they believed that it would give people a reason to stop playing the table top game and buying miniatures; after all they could just play the games, then!

It wasn't even a conspiracy theory; the old bald editor of WD from the late 90s said so in as many words in reply to a letter to the editor asking about why there wasn't a video game version of wh40k..

To this day, they've gone out of their way to avoid a direct translation, though they at least decided that RTS didn't qualify as a direct overlap, thank god. Relic's games are great.

They did finally let blood bowl get translated. But the reason to allow it was
- a company started making a blood bowl knock off, which should have been fine, but lawyers can shut down a small company regardless of the merits of the case (that said, hey, to avoid a trial, give us a deal, 'admit' you were infringing, and we'll translate it into a partnership (which is weirdly intelligent and totally out of character))
- GW doesn't really care about blood bowl because the team sizes were always sharply capped and there's no monsters/accessories
- They also shut down all their side line stuff, so who gives a poo poo.

Then, riding high on lessons learned from blood bowls crazy success (I swear I bought the stupid poo poo at least twice, because I wanted more teams), they finally took a crack at another classic translation, this time to the tablet games format!

Talisman.

SAD loving CLOWN FACE

So. They can't find a clue with both hands and the light of the astronomicon.

• Locked thread