Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The Skeleton King posted:

Oh man, I remember that movie. He actually did a decent job in that role. By which I mean he botched a robbery really badly, decided to double down instead of running for it, got set on fire, beaten up, and then shot in the head by his accomplice that he hired, who turned out to be the real dangerous man.

It's a great and underrated Fincher movie. The whole bit where Dwight Yoakam's character is introduced is probably the best scene. He's just this dude in the background in a ski mask that he's in for most of the movie and he only says his name, but it's excellent, excellent foreshadowing because he presents himself as a dude whose prepared to do anything and it's not out of nowhere when he takes over when Leto fucks up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVNNkjY2YDQ

Actually, it's a toss-up. That scene or Jared Leto accidentally setting himself on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WhyteRyce posted:

Wonder if Leto throwing shade is going to get himself booted from future movies or out of the Joker role completely by some WB exec having a hissy fit and trying to make someone (other than other execs or Synder, never Synder) pay

Perhaps this and Leto's entire "method acting Joker is sooOooOo crazy!!!" shtick is just a viral marketing ploy by WB to get people to keep talking about their lovely film. They probably had Leto's hissy fit planned months ago.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

thecluckmeme posted:

Mcconaughey Joker

please do about 8 more of these lmao

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
All joking a salad, McConaughey would make an amazing Joker.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So gonna watch this dumb thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jBbWoAtaWc

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Adam West doesn't sound so good :smith:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 18, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
More like the Gape Crusader.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Adam West doesn't so so good :smith:

Yikes. I'm just hoping that's him redubbing that ad.

I kinda wish they made him more pudgy or at least more rounded in the face.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I've only seen Leto in Fight Club and Panic Room but he was a decent actor in both. Was he really terrible as the joker?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Why is everyone always raggin on cap 1? Tommy Lee Jones being awesome and enjoying himself, Stanley Tucci cheesin it up - then cap starts fighting goddamn nazis with lazer guns and lazer tanks, another nazi with a red skull for a face seeks the power of a Norse artifact :laffo: It was a hell of a lot more fun than I thought it would be as I never really liked captain America as a character.

Then the second one decides it wants to try and be serious with its surveillance and 'who watches the watchmen shtick', while simultaneously having his brainwashed friend return from the dead and have the antagonist be an old nazi AI which results in a pretty weird tonal contrast.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Half of that movie is good the other is generic trash

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Zzulu posted:

I've only seen Leto in Fight Club and Panic Room but he was a decent actor in both. Was he really terrible as the joker?

Yeah I've always thought he was a pretty decent actor but a bit of a knob off screen, but so are a lot of people like say, Russel Crowe.

Isn't he only on screen for like 40s or something?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Half of that movie is good the other is generic trash

P. much.

Everything after he rescues Bucky and the POWs is enough material for an entire second movie-- How Steve goes from unilaterally deciding to be a hero to actually being allowed to be a hero by the US Gov't (hey have Tommy Lee Jones vouch for him to complete a secondary arc!), Steve courting Agent Carter, missions with the Howling Commandos, Bucky having to process his new status as second banana (hey he can finally get over his insecurity just in-time for the train sequence where he "dies", giving the audience a greater sense of loss!).

Literally all of that gets compressed into a montage and a handful of scenes before sprinting to the climax. It's not bad, but it definitely undercuts the ace movie that came before it.

el dingo posted:

Then the second one decides it wants to try and be serious with its surveillance and 'who watches the watchmen shtick', while simultaneously having his brainwashed friend return from the dead and have the antagonist be an old nazi AI which results in a pretty weird tonal contrast.

Hi I see this is your very first superhero movie ever please keep your arms and legs inside the suspension of your disbelief at all times no flash photography and do be sure to pick up a refreshing beverage from the gift shop.

YES. More proof that the only DC franchise Warner Bros. understands even a little is Batman.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

yeah that final "to the batmobile" line doesn't sound right, think he's getting too old for this poo poo

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

el dingo posted:

I thought it worked pretty well as a way to go "yeah this world has been superficially very similar to our own up until recently, but there's a lot of genuinely weird comic book poo poo that happened out of the public eye over the last few decades." It touched on serious themes but it also was very much not shy about embracing the insane comics poo poo- i.e. you can draw parallels between the SHIELD project and modern U.S. drones but the final plan in the movie still involved a fleet of giant, permanently airborne, murder dreadnaughts conducting a purge of the global population. It's a comic book version of an espionage movie, so why have the shocking revelation be that a prominent senator murdered someone to cover up a sex scandal when you can have a global conspiracy planned by a Nazi scientist who used 70's era technology to digitize himself on miles of magnetic tape? The latter is laughably outlandish but it's also quite a bit more fun and an appropriate foe for a super-soldier called "Captain America" who defeats people via fisticuffs and a(n essentially) magic shield.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Zzulu posted:

He barely spoke in Fight Club and was in the film for like 20 seconds total. I've only seen him in Fight Club and American Psycho and in both movies combined he's had like 2 minutes of screentime.

Who the gently caress is this guy and why is he even famous?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

el dingo posted:

Why is everyone always raggin on cap 1? Tommy Lee Jones being awesome and enjoying himself, Stanley Tucci cheesin it up - then cap starts fighting goddamn nazis with lazer guns and lazer tanks, another nazi with a red skull for a face seeks the power of a Norse artifact :laffo: It was a hell of a lot more fun than I thought it would be as I never really liked captain America as a character.

It's just a case of the second one being so good people poo poo on the first one. The first one was great, other than the one hilariously bad effects shot in the hanger. Anyone who saw it knows what I am talking about. How the hell did that get in the movie?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

Who the gently caress is this guy and why is he even famous?

He's gotten in really good with prestigious circles in Hollywood moviemaking and has the kind-of good looks that some women really adore. It's not hard to see why they tapped him for Suicide Squad, trying to make Heath Ledger happen twice.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Captain America 2 and 3 were one plot whole after another. At least 3 had enough action to distract you from how stupid the whole thing is.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

wow, adam and burt don't even sound like their own characters anymore.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

mind the walrus posted:

trying to make Heath Ledger happen twice.

if only

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Mary Jane is black in the new Spidey. Let the piss and vinegar flow forth.
http://spidermannews.com/2016/08/18/zendaya-mary-jane-watson-homecoming/

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Lodin posted:

I am *outraged*. She should be a new character so Peter can fill out another hair color in his harem, just like Archie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lodin posted:

Yesssssssss oh my god I love this. The whiny bitches crying over race purity in fictional characters is almost as much fun as the movies themselves.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Lodin posted:

I'm very much ok with this.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Lodin posted:

Im sure the 1000 or so people who still read comics will care.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Lodin posted:

i'm a redhead and i'm sick of this poo poo

daredevil was barely ginger

Jimmy olsen is a goddamn black guy in Supergirl

you can't just erase all redhaired characters and make them be played by brownheads or black people, we need representation

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 19, 2016

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Lodin posted:

I reached the thought "well I guess she was wearing green paint in Guardians" about a full minute before "maybe it's... NOT Zoe Saldana?" guess five summer blockbuster franchises is her limit

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Fonzarelli posted:

you can't just erase all redhaired characters and make them be played by brownheads or black people, we need representation

You can go create your own characters then! Nobody's stopping you!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Glass Joe posted:

You can go create your own characters then! Nobody's stopping you!

we already had red haired characters though, we wouldn't need new ones if people didn't keep changing them into black people :(

ginger erasure

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fonzarelli posted:

I love this brown America and I hope it pisses off whitey for years to come

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

there need to be positive red haired role models and strong red haired characters to counteract the damage that south park did to young gingers everywhere

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

I know what you mean, but he still sounds alright for being in his late 80's.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I wonder what will be more annoying and unavoidable, the tens of people complaining about some comic book change, or the legions of goons meticulously searching out, cataloging, and posting about it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

counterfeitsaint posted:

I wonder what will be more annoying and unavoidable, the tens of people complaining about some comic book change, or the legions of goons meticulously searching out, cataloging, and posting about it.

Well since I don't go searching for that poo poo and would have no idea otherwise, 100% the latter.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

People digging through the internet for weird stuff to mock is why I came to this website and I don't care if that actually makes the muckrakers or me worse than the people being mocked.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

The important thing is you're annoyed and you can't avoid it

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

People digging through the internet for weird stuff to mock is why I came to this website and I don't care if that actually makes the muckrakers or me worse than the people being mocked.

:same:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Lodin posted:

I would be more upset about the continued use of Disney actors in anything. I also can't be the only person who is weirded out by adult women being way too in to Disney kids poo poo. "Have you seen Zendaya? She is FIERCE."

Someone told me this poo poo, and I thought she was talking about a new pop singer and not some 14 year old on a terrible disney show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Apparently she was going to play a new character but then they changed it to MJ. Not sure why, like. Just introduce a new character, really distance yourself from the Sony films. Give the comics new lore.

• Locked thread