Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Virtual Reality Megathread: First you drill the holes into your walls and then find a demo at Best Buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Reddit seems to think Oculus have confirmed Amazon will ship people their Touch preorders before Oculus. Maybe only a few days though.

Also: http://www.j-display.com/english/news/2016/20161121.html

Wonder how long it'll be till that's in a headset

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I wonder if the contrast ratio is gonna hurt it. IPS displays aren't exactly known for the deepest blacks.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

The kickstarter for the first season of The FOO Show seems to have stagnated in recent days after a promising start. I hope they make it because the free episode they put up a while ago was neat.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Lemming posted:

Nabbed one of these for my parents. My dad used to play Myst with us when we were kids and my mom really likes Space Pirate Trainer lol

Nice. Make sure he picks up Obduction especially if he was a Myst fan.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So is all of this business about drilling holes in your house due to the fact that this is a first generation device? I love the idea of VR and want to see it succeed, but I'm not so crazy about breaking out power tools so that I can play video games better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L4YR0BS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$30 dude. You're really overthinking this.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Don't mess with people in VR, assholes

App13
Dec 31, 2011

homeless snail posted:

Don't mess with people in VR, assholes

If I remember correctly, the person in VR asked if he could jump off a building in that plank walking game. The host said yes, not knowing that the guy was going to take a giant leap

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Poetic Justice posted:

Nice. Make sure he picks up Obduction especially if he was a Myst fan.

Yep! That's the plan. I've been having fun with it but I think I'm going to wait for their planned controller update to finish it up

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
This says "Free" up in the corner on the Oculus Store, but as you can see on the price it is only discounted 10 cents, and it rings up as 9.89. Did they try to make it free for Black Friday and hosed up?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I think I got that for free last night?

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Can you buy the Oculus handsets from the Oculus store with the 100$ credit Amazon is giving you?

EDIT: Apparently not, the credit's only good for digital content. Oh well.

Takkaryx fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 28, 2016

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I think they could have boosted sales by having a discount on the headset. I was borrowing a rift for a few months and really only used it on racing sims; now its too painful going back to a single monitor. I was thinking about buying a rift and the 100 dollar store credit isn't appealing as I really only want to use the rift for iracing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yes but having a credit on the headset doesn't get people using that saved money in the store. If they give away 100 dollars in store credit, every game bought counts as a sale.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Oculus is giving Toybox out as another free thingy for Touch. So far we're up to:

First Contact (Experience/Tutorial)
Dead and Buried (Shooting Game)
Medium (Scuplting App)
Oculus Quill Beta (Painting App)
Robo Recall (Shooting Game)
The Unspoken (Magicking Game)
VR Sports Challenge (Sports Game)
Toybox (Sandbox App/Game)

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Oculus is giving Toybox out as another free thingy for Touch. So far we're up to:

Dead and Buried (Shooting Game)
The Unspoken (Magicking Game)
VR Sports Challenge (Sports Game)

For the multiplayer-focused titles they've presumably realised that if they don't give them out free then they're guaranteed to be DOA, not just very likely to be. I expect we'll see some alternative monetisation strategies for some of them if they live longer than a week.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I think they could have boosted sales by having a discount on the headset. I was borrowing a rift for a few months and really only used it on racing sims; now its too painful going back to a single monitor. I was thinking about buying a rift and the 100 dollar store credit isn't appealing as I really only want to use the rift for iracing.

Same boat for me. Probably will wait for next gen anyway unless there's a screaming deal.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Evidently people are starting to get Touch processing emails. Check your email if you pre-ordered the Rift.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I got my vive and my reaction is just holy poo poo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Welcome to the future.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

cheesetriangles posted:

It's a shame VR is just a fad

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

AndrewP posted:

Evidently people are starting to get Touch processing emails. Check your email if you pre-ordered the Rift.

Yup, I just got this email, although all it says is that my order has been processed and I should get a shipping email with tracking info soon.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 28, 2016

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yup, I just got this email, although all it says is that my order has been processed and I should get a shipping email with tracking info soon.
When did you receive your Rift out of interest? Trying to work out whether to cancel my Oculus or my Amazon order.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I really want a time crisis kinda game for the vive.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Falken posted:

I really want a time crisis kinda game for the vive.
I saw that they're adding lightgun support to New Retro Arcade, so you can literally play time crisis soon

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

I saw that they're adding lightgun support to New Retro Arcade, so you can literally play time crisis soon

using VR to simulate lightgun technology is amazing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

AndrewP posted:

using VR to simulate lightgun technology is amazing
At first I was thinking its loving stupid, then I realized, you can't actually play any of that poo poo anymore so it might be the only way to preserve them in a semifaithful state, and I really really want to play Point Blank again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD5C1Pk4qu0

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 29, 2016

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

I got my vive and it doesn't fit over my glasses. :retrogames:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Klades posted:

I got my vive and it doesn't fit over my glasses. :retrogames:
https://vr-lens-lab.com/

Or cut out a bigger hole in the padding

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

do your glasses not fit even after extending the vive lenses out? Unless you mean your glasses actually can't fit inside at all in which case how giant are your glasses? :S

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tweak posted:

do your glasses not fit even after extending the vive lenses out? Unless you mean your glasses actually can't fit inside at all in which case how giant are your glasses? :S

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Tweak posted:

They're about 140mm across, from hinge to hinge. I have a big fat head.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

El Grillo posted:

When did you receive your Rift out of interest? Trying to work out whether to cancel my Oculus or my Amazon order.

I'm not 100% sure, but if I go to my Touch order online, it lists my "Effective Order Date" as being January of 2016, so I'm guessing that was when I preordered and it's backdating my Touch order to then as well?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^meh, mine says January as well, but no order processing mail yet. I'll stick it out a little longer...
Also, from today Eagle Flight supports cross-platform multiplayer, and it'll be out officially for Vive on 20th December. Ubisoft's other two VR games, Star Trek and Werewolves Within, will have cross-platform multiplayer on launch: https://blog.ubi.com/ubisofts-vr-lineup-support-cross-platform-play/

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Soon my Oculus brethren, soon you shall experience VR as it's meant to be played!

I'm just sad that it costs $100 more than the competition plus the ~$80 dollars for full room-space.

But it's all good, Facebook will now start to fund games that can be easily ported to Vive!

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008

Thor-Stryker posted:

I'm just sad that it costs $100 more than the competition plus the ~$80 dollars for full room-space.

In euroland, the Rift+Touch comes out 90 euros cheaper than the vive.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Here's hoping now that each headset is actually competitive with each other some price cuts will happen.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Flashbackjack posted:

In euroland, the Rift+Touch comes out 90 euros cheaper than the vive.

Where?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
Denmark.

Prices vary depending on where you order each hmd from. But in general the Rift comes out cheaper.