Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

private message
Aug 22, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
What's a good physical fire USB to select for the Mateus magicite? I have Bartz (with Fire BSB, USB1/USB2 and AOSB) and Sora (w/ everything except AASB :qq:). Was considering a machinist USB, maybe Edgar USB, but maybe I could get a clear with King's w-cast USB which I already have.

private message fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Thanks to Roxas Awakening I was finally able to beat Shadow Dragon, even though him and Agrias were the only ones alive in the end, but that means I'm done with the 3* magicites!

So which of the 4* magicites is a goold place to start? Or maybe should I try the NuTorments?
I'd start with looking at which chains you have. Also consider Roxas with awakening and earth knight skills for Ixion

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

private message posted:

What's a good physical fire USB to select for the Mateus magicite? I have Bartz (with Fire BSB, USB1/USB2 and AOSB) and Sora (w/ everything except AASB :qq:). Was considering a machinist USB, maybe Edgar USB, but maybe I could get a clear with King's w-cast USB which I already have.

If you need an imperiler, then Edgar is by far the best of the ones available (Balthier's USB2 is better purely for fire imperiling but is sadly not on the selection). But definitely give King a shot before you pull the trigger.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nihilarian posted:

I'd start with looking at which chains you have. Also consider Roxas with awakening and earth knight skills for Ixion

This game has not been kind to me with Chains. I only have 2 Zack and Warrior of Light.

But yeah I'm leaning toward Ixion.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I should probably do Golem at some point so that I can take a run at higher magicites, given that I've had the other 3* ones on sub-30 farm for a while

I've been putting it off because all my wind is physical and it seems like a Huge Bother

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Golem's barrier is only 30k. You should be able to do more than that with literally any 5* wind ability. 3* magicites were balanced for when 5* abilities only did two hits at most, and overall player damage was drastically lower. Give it a shot.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fister Roboto posted:

Give it a shot.

lmao, down in 30.9 on my first attempt with a phys team, I've been procrastinating bad

time to discover the joys of shadow dragon

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Anyone got some tips on how to gear for Tiamat? Which elemental defense accessories should I be wearing? I can't cover both except for the little boost magicites give, and I can't get a good read on which element is actually hitting me more often / doing more damage. He's the only 4* magicite I can't get a sub-30 clear on now and it's crazy how overtuned he feels. On paper my ice DPS looks pretty nuts (Squall w/ BSB2, Snow w/ CSB, Bartz w/ basically every relic spamming SSS, and OK boosting with his pUSB) but survivability has been my roadblock and I'm not sure what else I can do about that. I don't have Elarra's USB, so my not-poo poo healing options are Rosa's USB, Ovelia's USB, Aerith's USB1, and Yshtola's BSB.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Anyone got some tips on how to gear for Tiamat? Which elemental defense accessories should I be wearing? I can't cover both except for the little boost magicites give, and I can't get a good read on which element is actually hitting me more often / doing more damage. He's the only 4* magicite I can't get a sub-30 clear on now and it's crazy how overtuned he feels. On paper my ice DPS looks pretty nuts (Squall w/ BSB2, Snow w/ CSB, Bartz w/ basically every relic spamming SSS, and OK boosting with his pUSB) but survivability has been my roadblock and I'm not sure what else I can do about that. I don't have Elarra's USB, so my not-poo poo healing options are Rosa's USB, Ovelia's USB, Aerith's USB1, and Yshtola's BSB.

Got any armor with fire res or wind res? its best if you can get your whole team covered for both obviously but as many people as you can would help at least. If you can, get two dampens of each also - so level 99 gizamaluke + krysta with extra dampens inherited on (level 7+, not some level 2 crap off a 1star). Other than that it's all down to your healer - if you need to, you can have OK slot a heal to help out, though you wont be able to entrust this way. Another desperate option if you have access to it would be to give snow Healing Smite, the 6* torment Knight ability that heals teammates. Won't do much damage or build chain, but it'd help survive long enough for Squall + Bartz do their thing.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Tiamat's offense is super loving fierce. On the off chance that you have things you don't know about, I suggest checking to see if you have Aria USB (the fire bubble). Rosa's likely to be your best main healer option, and then use Onion Knight as off-heal, possibly throwing in a voltech from time to time, or if necessary, wrath/entrust to Rosa to keep your party alive. Your offense problem is likely to be that Snow is kiiiinda rubbish outside of contributing his chain. I did double healer setup on Tiamat, but I have the benefit of using three stacked fire mages (one of which is Vincent with chain).

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Buy Elarra's USB for $5.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wear wind resist accessories, because all the piercing damage is wind. Savage jet fire is fire damage, but it's not piercing, so it can be mitigated easily. Or you can just blink it. Rosa or Ovelia USB will do fine for the fight, but if you have anything with a pblink or a +def buff, even if it's not on a healer, consider bringing that.

For buffing you probably don't want to bring OK pUSB, because Tiamat's absorb strength will overwrite the atk buff. She'll do that three times over the course of the fight so chances are good it will hit at least one of your DPS characters. You can reduce its chance to hit with affliction break, but the better thing to do is bring a mixed buff.

The important thing about Tiamat is having enough DPS to only have to deal with the scripted parts of the fight. If you spend too long in each phase, she'll start using abilities at random, and you can easily get hit by a savage twister and a savage jet fire back to back. Your DPS looks great, but maybe see if you have another spellblade besides Butz, since he's not really suited for ice damage.

And if you do have enough DPS to keep to the script, the fight is easy and predictable. If you see her cast absorb magic, she'll do twister next. Same with absorb strength and jet fire. Just remember that you want to go hard on offense because the fight will get a lot harder if you let it drag on.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
loving hell, are there just no good mage +water weapons?

There's Gogo V's BSB rod and seemingly gently caress all else?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Polished off the 3* magicites; I figured Dark Dragon and Mist Dragon would be pretty easy, because I've got much better tech for both than wind or earth. Predictably got both on my first attempt. I've really just been putting this off forever.

Dark D was hairy because he ate Orlandu - who was supposed to be my primary DPS and not my sacrificial lamb - and I ended up toughing it out in about 50s. Ramza's BSB2 cmd1 was actually helpful for finishing it off. No holy chain, either.

Mist was an anticlimax, and my fastest first-attempt time on any magicite at 19s. Fully-dived Shadow absolutely eats him for lunch with just a BSB, and I had Garland's CSB to facilitate the process. I looked up when he mists but never saw it happen; I guess I just nuked him so fast that he phased through it.

On to something slightly closer to endgame.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
How long until fes?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

How long until fes?

basically a full month away now, 24-25 is pretty usual for fest starts

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

March 25th is what most people are expecting, which means that ROP will start next Friday.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Polished off the 3* magicites; I figured Dark Dragon and Mist Dragon would be pretty easy, because I've got much better tech for both than wind or earth. Predictably got both on my first attempt. I've really just been putting this off forever.

Dark D was hairy because he ate Orlandu - who was supposed to be my primary DPS and not my sacrificial lamb - and I ended up toughing it out in about 50s. Ramza's BSB2 cmd1 was actually helpful for finishing it off. No holy chain, either.

Mist was an anticlimax, and my fastest first-attempt time on any magicite at 19s. Fully-dived Shadow absolutely eats him for lunch with just a BSB, and I had Garland's CSB to facilitate the process. I looked up when he mists but never saw it happen; I guess I just nuked him so fast that he phased through it.

On to something slightly closer to endgame.

Not that it sounds like you're intending to do Shadow D again, but if you do, it's probably worth bopping someone on your team you won't miss (someone doing a buff, probably) with lifesiphon or something that will hurt but not kill them. He always offs whoever has the lowest HP %.

I have at least for now finished farming Siren. Time to figure out what exactly I'm going to bring to Hades, and if I want to kneejerk get Larsa USB to deal with it, I guess.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Lulu USB2, which is a doll so that only benefits her. There are a few rods that haven't hit global yet: Meia AOSB, Gogo V USB, and Strago AOSB. Rydia's AASB whip is +water as well

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

iPodschun posted:

Lulu USB2, which is a doll so that only benefits her. There are a few rods that haven't hit global yet: Meia AOSB, Gogo V USB, and Strago AOSB. Rydia's AASB whip is +water as well

The options are pretty slim, but the good news is that the follow-up update to the initial Legendary Weapon system introduces the ability to build All-Realms +Element weapons of any class. So if nothing else you'll be able to use that for it eventually.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

March 25th is what most people are expecting, which means that ROP will start next Friday.

Ups and downs.

Thanks.

ROP makes the wait a lot more bearable. I'm sitting on 450+ mythril to go ham on the Bartz and Terra AWSBs .

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I don't know why the gently caress I pulled on banner two since my Phys holy dark and fire are real strong but I got 1/11 Roxas Glint and bailed on the banner for good. Think I was seduced by the hope of Awakenings.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

No joke, can’t wait for these banners to go away. I don’t care about kh and the upcoming awakenings will blow these away (maybe expect Riku’s), but it’s so temping getting the woke pain train started early.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
My joke of a Water Magic team got Belias down to 15~20%. I'm missing 8% Hand of Vengeance and 23% Magic Boon on my magicites, and I could probably grind enough to hone Chain -ja, -ga and Lunar Levi one extra time each if I really busted my rear end. I also forgot to teach Rydia her OSB. It might just make it?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I hope they do a Crystal Chronicles event when Crystal Chronicles HD comes out later this year
Give me those Celtic flutes blaring outta my cell phone
Donna Burke could be a party member

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

iamsosmrt posted:

Buy Elarra's USB for $5.

It's tempting! But I've been f2p so far and I don't really want to start down that rabbit hole, because I imagine once you buy your way out of one thing, it becomes easier to justify in your head the next time.

Augus posted:

I hope they do a Crystal Chronicles event when Crystal Chronicles HD comes out later this year
Give me those Celtic flutes blaring outta my cell phone

Is that actually getting a US release? Man I hope so, as weird as it is that might be in my top 3 FF games just because of the memories made playing with friends. The art style and music is rad, too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It's tempting! But I've been f2p so far and I don't really want to start down that rabbit hole, because I imagine once you buy your way out of one thing, it becomes easier to justify in your head the next time.

Is that actually getting a US release? Man I hope so, as weird as it is that might be in my top 3 FF games just because of the memories made playing with friends. The art style and music is rad, too.

It got an English trailer so yeah

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Augus posted:

Wait, what?

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Anyone got some tips on how to gear for Tiamat? Which elemental defense accessories should I be wearing? I can't cover both except for the little boost magicites give, and I can't get a good read on which element is actually hitting me more often / doing more damage. He's the only 4* magicite I can't get a sub-30 clear on now and it's crazy how overtuned he feels.

Just throwing this out there: I might not be worth the effort. 4* wind magicites are mostly good for feeding to 5* wind magicites unless you're really keen on trying out the FF7 or maybe a few other D??? torments before beating the 5* wind, or you want to break into 5* at earth. The rewards for sub30ing one 4* are the same as any other at this point, so just grind whichever is easiest to build up your arcana and spend the effort trying to figure out 5*s instead.

Of course if you're doing completionist/gently caress Tiamat reasons, go for it. But I just wanted to point out that there's probably little practical benefit to sub30ing her at this point in the game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

I mean Brave Exvius got Katy Perry, so why not?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Onmi posted:

I mean Brave Exvius got Katy Perry, so why not?

And Ariana Grande. In 4 different variants.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I've cleared 9/12 5*s thus far and Elarra's been on every team. The chainless ones (Earth and Fire) have been largely possible due to her USB, so I'm a strong advocate for it.

I mean I wouldn't ever justify a full priced pull, but (and this will be my only devil's advocate statement on this subject), I find it reasonable justification if you put in dozens or even hundreds of hours in this game over the years to throw a small token of support money and significantly improve your gameplay. But, everyone has their own limits, so I respect whatever you decide for yourself.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Donna Burke was the narrator in the English release of Crystal Chronicles and sang the main theme

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Forgot to do CT this month, did XIV synergy for the hell of it, and got unexpectedly murked by Gaius. It's interesting watching the meaning of "d220" creep up over time.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Augus posted:

Donna Burke was the narrator in the English release of Crystal Chronicles and sang the main theme

Oh ok thanks. That was the game with the stupid bucket right? I never played it because it looked really not fun.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Forgot to do CT this month, did XIV synergy for the hell of it, and got unexpectedly murked by Gaius. It's interesting watching the meaning of "d220" creep up over time.
They've gone the other way for me

who needs new things when 2017 BSBs still work

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

iPodschun posted:

They've gone the other way for me

who needs new things when 2017 BSBs still work

I will never understand how stuff like this works. I see it, I have it explained to me, and I don't understand it (bar Sieg and Kuja ofc)

Like I ran Gaius with the same party + Thancred and Yda and my damage output sucked and Yshtola's rear end is too slow to keep up with his barrage of piercing NAT attacks

Baku fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 25, 2019

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Elephant Ambush posted:

Oh ok thanks. That was the game with the stupid bucket right? I never played it because it looked really not fun.

It was insanely fun if you had friends with GBAs and all the fancy doodads for playing co-op, but yeah the mechanics were not great for a single player game. The art direction and music were top-notch though, one of the few games from that era that still looks great today. I'm hoping they made some changes to the way it works in single player, but even just having a modern multiplayer setup would basically completely alleviate the issue. I only got to do a full 4-player game a couple times when it came out, but doing the boss fights with 3 buddies was legitimately the most fun I've had with an FF game.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

The art direction and music were top-notch though, one of the few games from that era that still looks great today.

It's basically FF9 art style on steroids so it's rad. And yeah game was awesome with all the doodads and stuff. I may have been the bucket boy but I also got all the magic and it was still baller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Oh hey, Locke Chain off the daily! That makes 6 out of 8 elements for me, just missing water and earth.