Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Holy smokes I can't believe you pulled it off. I still only roughly understand how too. Can you break it down what exactly turned poo poo around for Ghana?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
From the boring backwater of the medieval era, to the masters of the galaxy, Ghana sure has come a long way, hasn't it? Did we ever find Earth?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yet another in a long line of magnificent and successful LPs, Grey. Thanks again for all the entertainment!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Holy smokes I can't believe you pulled it off. I still only roughly understand how too. Can you break it down what exactly turned poo poo around for Ghana?

A last ditch desperate fleet with one goal - take a Planet Destroyer to the enemy home world, and destroy it, whatever the cost. The fleet succeed, and did not live much past the battle. It's going to be an awesome holomovie.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

NewMars posted:

From the boring backwater of the medieval era, to the masters of the galaxy, Ghana sure has come a long way, hasn't it? Did we ever find Earth?

I'm sure it's waiting for them out there, somewhere. A Mecca for all mankind.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Awesome job, Grey. I can't believe you managed to win the game after having such a horrible experience with pirates.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Fantastic work Grey, and a great job well done. Long live the Snake in the Well!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Comstar posted:

A last ditch desperate fleet with one goal - take a Planet Destroyer to the enemy home world, and destroy it, whatever the cost. The fleet succeed, and did not live much past the battle. It's going to be an awesome holomovie.

This basically.

I was going out, there was nothing I could do to stop the Shaktur until the Guardians gave me that planet destroyer. I knew that it would be mobbed after hitting a single world - that's what happened to the two the Shaktur threw at us. So I made the decision to hit the enemy main target.

As has been mentioned before, the Shaktur homeworld has a unique wonder called the Palace of Eternal Darkness - This gives them a massive production boost - They also built about ten wonders on that planet, taking it out basically gutted their economy and forced them to pause the attack. This allow the other races breathing room to build their forces and counter attack.

I then realized that the AI could beat me in space 9 times out of 10, but if I could land troops on a planet, I could take it. I'd wait until a world only had a few ships then throw everything I had at it, landing troops, taking the world and depriving them of that income. - for most of the game I've been surviving on gifts and bonus trade income, but after a while the rich worlds I was taking paid off, and the Shaktur kept having to draw their fleets off to defend other worlds, meaning they could only do the occasional counter attack.

Once the momentum started, it was just a matter of scraping the troops together to keep it going. Thank god this was only a 700 star system game!

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Awesome LP, as usual!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
That was outstanding! Victory from the jaws of defeat, in the face of overwhelming odds, through guts, tenacity, and the Ghanan will to put the biggest, most potent vessel right into the core of our opponent's strength and fecundity. Not only did we secure the Galaxy, the way in which we did enshrines our Ghanan virtues!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

As always throughout history, Ghana prevails. Whether it's the North Africans, the Romans, the Scandinavians, or the evil insects from space, Ghana prevails. Great job, Grey Hunter!

ManicMarine
Oct 9, 2012
One of the most satisfying endings to an LP that I have ever read. Distant Worlds in particular really fulfilled its promise of being a space opera simulator. Well done Grey!

ManicMarine fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 31, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I said it before and I said it again, this proofs that the best method to deal with galaxy threating, incredible powerful, old races is to nuke their homrworld.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

So what happens to the millions of Shakturi under Ghanan dominion?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
My view? Assimilate. We are not Shakturi. We don't enslave, we don't exterminate.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Bloodly posted:

My view? Assimilate. We are not Shakturi. We don't enslave, we don't exterminate.

We love!

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

e X posted:

We love!

There's a lot of Shakturi and I doubt there are many insect lovers between Ghanans. Fooking prawns!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Amazing end to an amazing LP. Well done, Grey!

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
That was awesome! Ghana prevails! Long live Ghana, saviors of the Galaxy!

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
The borders are still a mess :colbert:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Anticheese posted:

So what happens to the millions of Shakturi under Ghanan dominion?

They will learn to accept the Snake in their Well.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Bloodly posted:

You might want to chemically castrate though... otherwise the Shakturi will simply breed and breed and bide their time until they take over the Empire from within by sheer population disparity.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

BwenGun posted:

You might want to chemically castrate though... otherwise the Shakturi will simply breed and breed and bide their time until they take over the Empire from within by sheer population disparity.

Outbreed Ghanan's? Do you have any idea just who our founding fathers are?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I have no doubt that the Shaktur will become excellent Ghanans now that they are in the Empire.

Also that was a bit of a close call for a while.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BwenGun posted:

So, the Ogoonu way, then?

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

That was an amazing roller-coaster ride of an LP, Grey! It had thrills, chills and spills aplenty, and it was a marvel to behold!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

BwenGun posted:

If they manage to outbreed the Ogoonu, they deserve the Empire. In fact, that would prove that they truly understand the Snake in the Well.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
That was great, especially the Planet-Destroyer's ride to glory that turned the tide. I really thought you were going to lose before that.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Darkrenown posted:

That was great, especially the Planet-Destroyer's ride to glory that turned the tide. I really thought you were going to lose before that.

So did I, I've never had this game hammer this hard for this long before. Three worlds left before going under, I thought I was going to have to pull a Battlestar Galactica and have the last update loop back to the first as humanity once more destroys all technology to avoid the Shakturi menace.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Thanks for the LP
it was a fun ride

Comstar posted:

I think this is basically the plot in Ender's Game

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Thanks for the LP!

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
That was an amazing, absolutely amazing game Grey. You managed everything from the Profound, (unifying Africa.) to the absurd. (We got Mecca How?) You managed the highest and lowest game I have ever seen. After getting dropped to three planets... hell after being Pirate central for the entire beginning of the game I would have called this game a wash. You managed to turn it all around and bring Ghana to the top with one move. Ghana's finest loving hour. And of course, it used a planet destroyer. At least this time you didn't do it by accident!
loving beautiful. That doomed fleet blowing up the Shaktur Home-world, giving everyone the time to regain their feet, is going to be a movie that will keep getting remade for centuries.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
"Yeah, hey, let me call you back. We just conquered the Shakturi and my snake's a little worn out."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

This was a great read. Well done Grey.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Well done Grey, that was an awesome LP! Thank you for all the awesome Ghana related memories, I can't wait to follow your next project!

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Awesome LP, thank you Grey.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Man, what a wild ride. I'm assuming you have plans for submitting this to the archive? It's something that I really want to read again a year from now.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

One thing I still don't understand about this game: how the hell do you keep track of what resource does what, and how much stock you have of each, and how significant a shortage of, say, gold is compared to [other mineral]

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

You can check in the 'Expansion Planner' how many sources you have of a given resource, plus how big the shortage is (f.e. a 1k shortage or a 15k shortage).

Every planet/station has its own stock of material, which the civilian fleet will ship to wherever it is required (if you have no shortage of freighters).

Strategic resources are used as building materials. Every component costs a different amount which you could look up in the component viewer, but that's not really needed. Since the civilian economy pays for stations and is often a lot richer than the military economy is, you can just spam mining stations everywhere.

The only resources worth keeping a close eye on are either Caslon or Hydrogen, depending on what you use for fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Note that civilian freighters seem to be allergic to retrofitting so if you start in the Age of Shadows you will be stuck with a bunch of civilian freighters with no FTL drives pootleing around your home system. I assume they eventually will retrofit a warp drive or die in a pirate attack but its kind of funny watching these lines of STL guys crawling across space.

• Locked thread