Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is this game the one that's being published by paradox? I just got an email from them about it, it looks like my type of stuff

Is it good? As I understood, its kinda like Front Mission

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Same game but its Tabletop, still same rules apply...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If the same rules applied, the turbospergs wouldn't be all up in arms about the changes! :v:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/6cbwma/the_situation_of_elite_perfectly_explained_by_a/

Looks like the Elite spergs are starting to feel abandoned.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

What's this have to do with Battletech?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

... Good to know?

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Zaodai posted:

If the same rules applied, the turbospergs wouldn't be all up in arms about the changes! :v:

Meaning battletech TT is the same more or less as the harebrained game

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
SA Battletech Discord: https://discord.gg/GBYqqnc

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Tempus Thales posted:

Meaning battletech TT is the same more or less as the harebrained game

I know. I'm saying if that were true, the "pureist" grogs wouldn't be so butt hurt. They've tweaked a lot of stuff to make it more fun as a video game. which is great for me, since I backed a video game.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I am glad they aren't sticking by the TT rules, my friends and I figured out how to break them a million ways 2 decades ago, I want new rules to try and break!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

what kindof poo poo platform is this, my cobbled-together mismash of Mumble/Skype/IRC/Teamspeak is more than good enough thank you very much!

Added, I can always use another cool server to hang out in.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Skoll posted:

What's this have to do with Battletech?

Nothing. It has everything to do with me posting in the wrong thread.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

deathbagel posted:

I am glad they aren't sticking by the TT rules, my friends and I figured out how to break them a million ways 2 decades ago, I want new rules to try and break!

I wasn't sure about the new initiative rules until I watched the video where Mitch went 4-0 against Jordan. The slow turn pace of earlier videos made it hard to get a feel for the flow of the turns, but it was awesome to see the Catapult and Panther jumping around trying to flank each other.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I am trying to get a handle on what Medium chassis are going to be important for the campaign and multiplayer. I get the feeling that you will be relying on them a lot early-mid game and also in multiplayer to balance out whatever assault you take.

Cicada-2A
4Tons Armour (Same as a locust, the teeny light mech). 130KPH Top Speed. 10xHeat Sinks. No Jump Jets

Fast but low weapon amount and no armour, basically a medium weight Jenner (The 2A variant has 2xMed Lasers and a Small Laser). The Cicada is the only non humanoid mech available in the medium catalog. It's main strength is supposed to be as a very fast scout, but I don't know if this is really a niche that needs filled in this weight class. It will probably be really cheap though.

Blackjack-1
8.5Tons Armour. 64KPH. 11xHeat Sinks. Has Jump Jets.

This is a maneuverable little weapon platform for long range engagements. Usage is kind of like a medium weight Jagermech. Could be OK as a long range support ballistic platform. The basic BJ-1 has 2xAc2 (bleh) and 4 med lasers. The -1DB is a Fed Suns special in 3022 but it has 2xLL and extra heatsinks which would make it a fantastic cheap sniping platform. It is a little low on Heat Sinks so sustained fire might make it overheat quickly.

Vindicator-1R
9Tons Armour. 64KPH Top Speed. 16xHeat Sinks. Has Jump Jets.

This is another long range support mech, the -1R default model has jump jets, 1xLRM5, 1xPPC, 1xMed Laser and 1x Small Laser. It might be a good Precision Shot candidate if you can get good positioning to just fire that PPC. It is the same weight as the BlackJack at 45 tons and has almost same amount of armour but for some reason I always saw it as a sturdier chassis. There is also the -1AA varient that swaps for a faster engine and less Jump Jets (86 KPH), it keeps the same weapon loudout but only mounts 4.5Tons of Armour!! I think the 1R will be a good mech to have, but there is nothing about it that really stands out.

Centurion-A
8.5Tons Armour. 64KPH Top Speed. 10xHeat Sinks. No Jump Jets.

An infamous brawly mech. Goons loved it in MWO because of it's ability to 'zombie' by sacrificing both of it's arms and keep on trucking when loaded with SRM's and lasers in it's torso. It's a 50 tonner that can take a beating but has the disadvantage in that the stock models have the major armament mounted on an arm. The default -A model has an AC10, 2xMed Lasers and an LRM10. Which is a good loadout for a medium. The LRM's could probably be swapped for an SRM6 with little fuss if you wanted more of a close range focus. The devs have mentioned that the -AL model is a favorite of those that are high up the internal multiplayer leadership ladder. The -AL swaps the ballistic hardpoint in the arm for a heavy laser instead, by default it mounts a Large Laser and a Small Laser instead of the AC10 and has extra Heat Sinks. There is of course the Mary Sue model Yen-Low Wang that has a close combat spike mounted on the left arm and an AC20 instead of a 10. The Wang probably won't be in the game but you could probably fit the 20 on the arm if you wanted. I am worried that a lack of jump jets, and the arm mounted weapon might make this too fragile and easy to flank.

Enforcer-4R
9Tons Armour. 64KPH Top Speed. 12xHeat Sinks. Has Jump Jets.

The enforcer has a history for being a civilian police mech rather than a front line fighting unit, however it isn't a bad robit. It is another 50 tonner which on paper looks a lot like the Centurion. The default -4R model mounts an AC10 in the right arm like a Cent as well as a Medium and Large Laser. It also has Jump Jets which sets it a little apart from it's brother. The capability to land behind a target and hit it in the rear with the Autocannon might bring it into favor over the less maneuverable Centurion.

Hunchback-4G
10Tons Armour. 64KPH Top Speed. 13xHeat Sinks. No Jump Jets.

The Hunchback is a very famous medium mech that mounts incredibly heavy weapons and a lot of armour for a medium. The tradeoff is that it is really slow. Designed for city and canyon fighting it can scare even Assault mechs with it's default load out of an AC20 and 2 arm mounted Medium Lasers (as well as a head mounted party laser). It has some really cool variants as well. The -4P mounts 6xMedium Lasers in place of the AC20 for a total of 8 which is a lot of consistent damage in this era (This is probably going to be my medium of choice for my first few games). The -4J has 2xLRM10 launchers instead of the AC20 giving it some long range punch and the -SP has an SRM6 on each shoulder for a close range package that isn't as susceptible to having it's armament neutralised with one lucky crit. The Hunchback lost favor in MWO because it was too easy to take out the heavy gun with the pinpoint accurate weapons in that game, but it should be mentioned that you can't call shots like that in Battletech unless the target is prone. It also has two fists, which might make it good for Melee. I think the Hunchback is a good mech for filling a hole in your force, that AC20 is something your opponent will be worried about. However the speed might ultimately make it unusable if the enemy is able to keep kiting it.

Trebuchet-5N
7.5Tons Armour. 86KPH Top Speed. 10xHeat Sinks. Has Jump Jets

A long range support mech with Jump Jets and LRM's the Trebuchet's role is well defined. It only does one thing but it does it very well for it's size. It's default loadout is 2xLRM15 and 3xMedium lasers which isn't far off of a Catapult (The C1 catapult has 2xLRM15 and 4xMed Lasers). The downside is it runs hot, has less ammo and hasn't really heard of this armour thing. A cheap focused support mech that can do a lot of work for you, but you have to look after it, a light will ruin it's lightly armored day very quickly. The three medium lasers might give it a fighting chance in close combat, but if it is warding off a light mech, it isn't firing 30 LRM's at a big threat and that is a pretty big loss of firepower. There is an SRM varient of this mech, but I really don't advise taking it into close combat. I can maybe justify that if it turns out to be quite cheap compared to a better brawler.

Griffin-1N
9.5Tons Armour, 86KPH Top Speed. 12xHeat Sinks. Has Jump Jets.

One of the heaviest medium mechs in the game, the Griffin is as close as you can get to a pocket heavy. At 55 tons the 1N model mounts a single PPC and an LRM10 with a lot of armour. The loudout may seem limited, and it does suffer from having an arm mounted primary. To me it screams for a Precision Shot pilot sitting at mid range. There is a 1S variant that swaps the PPC for a Large Laser and 2xMedium Lasers, as well as reducing the size of the LRM launcher to a 5 shot. A lot of the nicer variants of this robit are unfortunately outside the timeline. Something to bear in mind, the Griffin has two fists, it's PPC is shoulder mounted. It might actually be a very good melee mech because of this.

Kintaro-18
11Tons Armour. 86KPH Top Speed. 10xHeat Sinks. No Jump Jets.

The Kintaro is another pocket heavy at 55 tons and features a missile focused loudout. The -19 Variant has a NARC , 1xLRM5 (that is begging to be swapped to an SRM), 2xSRM6 and 2xMedium Lasers as well as Ferro Fibrous armour, however this model will be rare if not unavailable due to the armour and NARC being LostTech. The -18 variant that was primarily in use in this time period swapped the NARC launcher for another SRM6 and dropped the FF Armour for 11 tons of Standard Armour, if you switched out the LRM for another SRM6 you would have an alpha of 24 SRM's and 2 Medium lasers which is really scary. At 11 tons of armour this is also the sturdiest of the Mediums, it has a good speed as well. This might be a really good mech.

Shadowhawk-2H
9.5Tons Armour. 86KMH Top Speed. 12xHeat Sinks. Has Jump Jets.
If you think of the Griffin as your beefy energy mech, and the Kintaro as your missile version then the Shadowhawk is the ballistic focused 55 tonner. The default 2H has Jump Jets, an AC5, 1xLRM5, 1xSRM2 (ew) and a Medium Laser. If this was MWO we would be calling this a 'bracket build', able to engage at any range but not really focused for anything in particular. The Shadowhawk does have one interesting quirk, it's ballistic weapon is shoulder mounted instead of arm mounted, making it less vulnerable to losing it's primary weapon to an arm shot.

Wolverine-6R.
9.5Tons Armour. 86KMH Top Speed. 12xHeat Sinks. Has Jump Jets

The Wolverine is our final 55 tonner. It kind of does what the Shadowhawk is doing but better. The default -6R model has Jump Jets, an AC5, 1xSRM6 and one Medium Laser. There is a -6K variant that replaces the AC5 for more armour, 2 more heatsinks and swaps the arm mounted AC5 for 1 each of a Large, Medium and Small laser. At 11.5 Tons of armour the -6K would beat the Kintaro for most armour by half a ton. I think this is also going to be a good mech.

The only medium that I think just isn't worth taking is the Cicada. I can't find any real pluses except that it will probably be Very cheap. I have a feeling that the mediums without Jump Jets will be less popular than those that do. However the Kintaro might be a real winner. All the 55 ton Mediums look very good, though the Griffin is a bit limited.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 22, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Cicada is actually and factually a better Locust. Same armament as the 1E, same armor, same speed, but it has some extra points to back it up on structure so it's slightly more durable overall. If cost per unit is not actually a factor beyond first purchase (and you salvage a couple of these), and Lights are not significantly cheaper than Mediums on maintenance costs, then the Cicada is just flat out objectively superior to using a Locust.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Strobe posted:

The Cicada is actually and factually a better Locust. Same armament as the 1E, same armor, same speed, but it has some extra points to back it up on structure so it's slightly more durable overall. If cost per unit is not actually a factor beyond first purchase (and you salvage a couple of these), and Lights are not significantly cheaper than Mediums on maintenance costs, then the Cicada is just flat out objectively superior to using a Locust.

I agree with what you are saying for single player. The Cicada is probably going to a be a superior scout for the campaign. In Multiplayer however, I don't see it being good enough to take a slot when at 35 Tons you can take a Jenner with 118KPH top speed and 4xML AND higher initiative.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Hunchie for life.

[EDIT] And please do more overviews like these for the other weight classes. It was a nice read.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Phrosphor posted:

Blackjack-1
8.5Tons Armour. 64KPH. 11xHeat Sinks. Has Jump Jets.

This is a maneuverable little weapon platform for long range engagements. Usage is kind of like a medium weight Jagermech. Could be OK as a long range support ballistic platform. The basic BJ-1 has 2xAc2 (bleh) and 4 med lasers. The -1DB is a Fed Suns special in 3022 but it has 2xLL and extra heatsinks which would make it a fantastic cheap sniping platform. It is a little low on Heat Sinks so sustained fire might make it overheat quickly.

Keep in mind that the AC/2s now do the same amount of damage as the medium lasers in the game (25 points), so if they maintain the same range brackets that's a much more significant plink.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Taerkar posted:

Keep in mind that the AC/2s now do the same amount of damage as the medium lasers in the game (25 points), so if they maintain the same range brackets that's a much more significant plink.

Oh really? That is very interesting, they might actually be worth taking!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Strobe posted:

While the Cicada has better structure, the Locust has more usable tonnage. Identical armor and heatsinks the Locust has an extra half-ton to use. Combine that with the initiative advantage and I think Locust vs Cicada 2A is extremely debatable.

I'm hoping the Cicada 3C is in, a little slower but you can mount a LL and two flamers and still have plenty of armor.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The cicada gets engine hosed. With STD engines you hit diminishing returns fast as far as movement vs weight.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Cyrano4747 posted:

The cicada gets engine hosed. With STD engines you hit diminishing returns fast as far as movement vs weight.

You can't swap engines in this game, so the base speed and size won't ever change in the chassis.

Or do you just mean in general? Yeah the Cicada suffers from trying to stuff that big engine in a small frame.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Which is why the cicada is a kind of crappy mech.

It was double hosed in TT since big engines got dramatically more expensive fast.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, the Cicada's real issue is that that ginormous engine (Seriously it has a 320-rating engine, that's bigger than the Atlas' engine!) and gyro modules leave so little tonnage for anything useful. It moves about as fast as a Locust, has firepower roughly equivalent to one, has the same armor.. yeah, it's got marginally more structure health so it's just a little bit more durable than the Locust, but.. the Locust costs about 1,5M c-bills. The Cicada? 3.7M. Vast majority of that being the giant fuckoff engine. At the end of the day, the Locust just ends up so much more cost-effective for what it does, especially, I'd guess, in the early game when you're more strapped for cash in the first place.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cyrano4747 posted:

Which is why the cicada is a kind of crappy mech.

It was double hosed in TT since big engines got dramatically more expensive fast.

the cicada 2b in mwo was surprisingly strong with a big xl and 5 medium pulse lasers, plus not being on anyone's 'kill fast' list because pfft cicada.

what level of robert customisation is the campaign expected to have, have they said?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Not sure if the campaign will have further restrictions, but so far we've heard there are no engine swaps and typed harpoints for weapons (Ballistic, Missile, Energy, and a category for small stuff like small lasers, flamers, and MGs I forget the name).

My guess would be the biggest difference in campaign customization will be procurement issues.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Q_res posted:

It won't have a lot of the advanced tech from MWO, no Endo or Ferro. Ultra ACs, Streaks and ER Lasers/PPCs don't exist (well, they did say there will be LosTech goodies. So they might show up as the equivalent of Epic loot, but generally don't exist). Engines are locked, so no downgrading engines to free up tonnage. Uses a hardpoint system, similar but not identical to MWO, split in Energy/Missile/Ballistic/Support classes. Energy = Medium/Large Lasers and PPCs, Ballistic = ACs, Missile = SRM/LRMs and Support = Small Laser/Flamer/Machine Gun. If your Mech has Support weapons they will fire when you perform a Melee attack, they're the only weapons that do so. Also, you can add Jumpjets to any Mech, you just have to free up the tonnage by shedding Heatsinks/Armor/Weapons.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

sebmojo posted:

the cicada 2b in mwo was surprisingly strong with a big xl and 5 medium pulse lasers, plus not being on anyone's 'kill fast' list because pfft cicada.

what level of robert customisation is the campaign expected to have, have they said?

Yeah XLs are what make zippy, well armed, reasonably armored mediums feasible.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Not sure if the campaign will have further restrictions, but so far we've heard there are no engine swaps and typed harpoints for weapons (Ballistic, Missile, Energy, and a category for small stuff like small lasers, flamers, and MGs I forget the name).

My guess would be the biggest difference in campaign customization will be procurement issues.

That's a dangerous zone for your design to go though: "Here look at all these cool customisation options - oops you can't actually use any of them because we didn't give you anything to swap out".

I think you are right, but it's a really thin line between not flooding the player with enough stuff to beeline for the optimal loadout (if you even care about preventing that) and just being annoying.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Every other merc based bt game has done it with money. Limited funds force you to prioritize

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's pretty much what makes mercenary games interesting. Having to deal with that scarcity.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's also true to the 3025 source, where significant customizing is both difficult due to parts scarcity and expensive. Omnimechs these aren't. A happy almost-certainly-not-a-coincidence. I imagine most of the options will come from obtaining a variety of different mechs, not tweaking a single one forever.

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 22, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Plus it gives them a less complex system to start with that they can expand in the next game when we all go to space and punch the Clans in the dick.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zaodai posted:

Plus it gives them a less complex system to start with that they can expand in the next game when we all go to space and punch the Clans in the dick.

Operation BULLDOG would be a pretty good campaign backdrop.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Every other merc based bt game has done it with money. Limited funds force you to prioritize

Except every single one of them has money rapidly becoming a non limiting factor.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

In a single player game, if you want to play with gimped crap you could always limit yourself to it without the system having to be coded for it.

Hell, my first campaign might be stock only.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Except every single one of them has money rapidly becoming a non limiting factor.

Hopefully this one avoids that. Having limits and restrictions makes games fun and challenging.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think it's going to be a matter of time spent, really - with a mission generator you can just keep taking jobs, and assuming you do them well, make enough money to be able to buy everything. And to be honest I think that's fine - operating costs will exist so they can probably keep income/hour in a satisfying range and let players choose how hard they wanna go after buying that Atlas or not.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It'd be nice if there was a difficultly slider that didn't give the AI better stats or allow them to cheat but instead just reduced the payout of missions or increased maintenance costs. That'd be cool.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Phrosphor posted:

Trebuchet-5N
7.5Tons Armour. 86KPH Top Speed. 10xHeat Sinks. Has Jump Jets

A long range support mech with Jump Jets and LRM's the Trebuchet's role is well defined. It only does one thing but it does it very well for it's size. It's default loadout is 2xLRM15 and 3xMedium lasers which isn't far off of a Catapult (The C1 catapult has 2xLRM15 and 4xMed Lasers). The downside is it runs hot, has less ammo and hasn't really heard of this armour thing. A cheap focused support mech that can do a lot of work for you, but you have to look after it, a light will ruin it's lightly armored day very quickly. The three medium lasers might give it a fighting chance in close combat, but if it is warding off a light mech, it isn't firing 30 LRM's at a big threat and that is a pretty big loss of firepower. There is an SRM varient of this mech, but I really don't advise taking it into close combat. I can maybe justify that if it turns out to be quite cheap compared to a better brawler.

Stock Treb doesn't have Jump Jets. The -5J loses an LRM-15 for Jets and a few heat sinks, but the basic -5N is 5-8-0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

It'd be nice if there was a difficultly slider that didn't give the AI better stats or allow them to cheat but instead just reduced the payout of missions or increased maintenance costs. That'd be cool.

I don't think we know how enemy difficulty works at all, do we? I don't think it's safe to assume AI cheating/stat inflation is how it's gonna work. after all you're limited to 4 mechs per mission and they aren't. If everyone plays by the same set of stats/rules, they can just outnumber you and you've got difficulty without cheating.

e: although low difficulties adding to player's to-hit numbers seems like a pretty popular way to do it across the genre so :shrug:

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 22, 2017

• Locked thread