Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Morpheus posted:

I'm looking forward to the sequel, hopefully they can address some of the oddities and jank of the first game while keeping this feeling present.

Playing EA basically everything felt more cohesive in Sandrock than it does in Portia. Especially combat, which is just a goddamn mess in Portia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I'm really liking all of the easter eggs and the general world design in the new Saints Row. there's a Red Faction pub where the logo is the old RF logo holding a big frothy mug of beer and a whole oral history about the place. lots of great signs for the businesses in town:

the game has a lot of issues, but the art direction really isn't one of them

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, there's def some fun stuff and high points in the new saints row, it's just too bad that it's got a lot of technical issues and mediocre bits alongside

basically the perfect game to pick up in a year for half off with all its dlc and patches

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
yeah I agree with that. I don't actually regret buying it for whole price, but for someone less brokebrained than I am it's very much a sale game as it currently stands

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

It freezes constantly on loads in coop, which is a shame as that's the way I'm trying to play it

What we've played seems fine, definitely a sale game for non-super fans tho

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
In Deep Rock Galactic, if you try to reload your gun when it doesn't need it, your dwarf does a special animation, which is different for each weapon. So e.g. for the minigun, they'll spin the gun's barrels by hand, or for the dual uzis, they'll spin the guns around their fingers, etc. For the Gunner's missile launcher, the dwarf picks one of the micro-missiles out of the gun's magazine and then "flies" it through the air while making rocket noises with his mouth :allears:

EDIT: vvv holy poo poo, amazing

TooMuchAbstraction has a new favorite as of 04:32 on Aug 28, 2022

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
If you're so low on ammo there's no belt left he goes to grab one then pauses before shaking his fist angrily.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

New Saints Row is absolutely one of those games I love playing but will never be able to recommend at full price. It'll still be rough even after they clean up the bugs.

But one thing they nailed right out of the box was the radio selections. No matter what I'm doing or where I'm going, if Ante Up comes on I will forget all my objectives and just start terrorizing everything in sight.

Crowetron has a new favorite as of 06:07 on Aug 28, 2022

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Voliton has kind of set themselves up for failure, because people remember Saints Row 2 and 4, which only got there because they were the second go at the city and engine, so they had a lot more customization, tweaks to the formula and so on. While I honestly really like the new game it is very clearly suffering from being the first go around with a lot of things. Hopefully they get the opportunity for a second go with a sequel or DLC.

One thing I really like is that they didn't do what a lot of reboots do: just tell the same story with the same characters again. Sure Kev fucks a lot of people and Eli has plans that are somewhat out of genre but they aren't just Shaundi and Pierce 2.0. Same with the Boss, they have a very different relationship to their crew than the old one did. Same with the story still having the Corporate crime angle especially with Marshall, but it isn't just the Saints Ultor thing again. Basically it put enough stuff in there to be funny nods to fans but didn't really chain itself to it, like there's a throwaway mention of Stillwater, a Legal Lee mention on a billboard and Johnny Gat has a roundabout mention on a weapon but that's the level it's at, which makes it funny that Agents of Mayhem went all in with Pierce, Gat and Kinzie as playable characters.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There's also the issue where the fanbase is split between people who think SR3 and 4 went way too far with the wacky crazy stuff and want it to "go back to its roots", and people who think it got better the further it went from GTA. And unfortunately I think there are some of the former camp who, despite this being more street level, aren't going to be interested because the culture is different, it's not so much gangstas as young twentysomethings being gay and doing crimes (and yes apparently there is a difference.)

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Bit off topic, but how do the story and characters hold up? I loved the cocky feel of 3 and 4, where you were criminals but it was more like a drunken wild night with your friends. Wanting to jump out of a helicopter guns blazing into a poolparty because it's cool and you're confident nobody can stop your gang anyway felt waaaay more human and relatable than the gruff assholes you played as in GTAV, even though the action is absurd. Those games had heart, and if that's present in the new games I'm onboard.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Bit off topic, but how do the story and characters hold up? I loved the cocky feel of 3 and 4, where you were criminals but it was more like a drunken wild night with your friends. Wanting to jump out of a helicopter guns blazing into a poolparty because it's cool and you're confident nobody can stop your gang anyway felt waaaay more human and relatable than the gruff assholes you played as in GTAV, even though the action is absurd. Those games had heart, and if that's present in the new games I'm onboard.

I'd say it's somewhere in between but way more towards the 3&4 end of that scale with doing some wild stuff and you are very much doing things with and for your friends, the core of the gang are your roommates and all the rest of the game basically escalates from you pissing of the rest of the gangs when trying to make rent, so you decide to "Be your own Boss".
Basically they are going for the more light hearted tone of 3 but not the full on wacky of 4 and IMO it works way better here because you aren't playing as the same people from 1&2, so you don't have that "baggage".

Edit: and also because the main game is slightly more grounded, the stuff like the LARP missions are way funnier than similar stuff in 4, where everything was already "fake"

Hel has a new favorite as of 11:07 on Aug 28, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hel posted:

Edit: and also because the main game is slightly more grounded, the stuff like the LARP missions are way funnier than similar stuff in 4, where everything was already "fake"

I wonder if one of those dozen or so Scary Movie knockoffs from the 2000's ever did a 'Jackass crew in the Matrix' bit.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I really like how Avalanche Studios nailed the the language in the Mad Max game. Binoculars are longlookers, snipers are leadslingers and so on.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

RareAcumen posted:

I wonder if one of those dozen or so Scary Movie knockoffs from the 2000's ever did a 'Jackass crew in the Matrix' bit.

That's a pretty funny idea, so probably not.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Alhazred posted:

I really like how Avalanche Studios nailed the the language in the Mad Max game. Binoculars are longlookers, snipers are leadslingers and so on.

That game is the second best Mad Max movie.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

credburn posted:

That game is the second best Mad Max movie.

Come on now, I liked the game, but... No.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Alhazred posted:

Avalanche, and their sub-studio Systemic Reaction, make fantastic games. I love Mad Max, Just Cause, Generation Zero, and Second Extinction.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Flashbacks to Mad Max on NES and never getting anywhere and the car constantly running out of gas and running through the same grey corridors hoping I don't run out of bullets

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Avalanche, and their sub-studio Systemic Reaction, make fantastic games. I love Mad Max, Just Cause, Generation Zero, and Second Extinction.

How is Generation Zero as a single player experience? I have it, and played a little bit of it, but I kept running into the same weird issue that made Dying Light unplayable for me; I will be in game for all of about an hour and then other players loaded up with gear will just spawn, dump a ton of powerful poo poo at my feet, and then go around obliterating everything in sight. Like, cool, I guess, but I kind of just want to play the game and try to be immersed in it, and I don't mind playing with others but not like this.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

credburn posted:

How is Generation Zero as a single player experience? I have it, and played a little bit of it, but I kept running into the same weird issue that made Dying Light unplayable for me; I will be in game for all of about an hour and then other players loaded up with gear will just spawn, dump a ton of powerful poo poo at my feet, and then go around obliterating everything in sight. Like, cool, I guess, but I kind of just want to play the game and try to be immersed in it, and I don't mind playing with others but not like this.

For me, it's mostly fine in SP. You have to pick and choose your battles a lot more than with even one more player. When fights with more than three enemies happen you'll want to be very, very mobile. Combat can be brutal and poo poo can go sideways quickly. Luckily, most open areas may be stealthed through, with some bottlenecks where you just have to run and heal through them. I would say getting a decent rifle with scope + a shotgun, taking out enemies' weakpoints, and playing hit and run will get you far.

The atmosphere is great, the movement through terrain enjoyable and the story is a nice slow burn.

Note: I play it on PS4, where it (and I think some of the DLC?) was free kinda recently. Easier, then, to find players and decent gear.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hel posted:

Voliton has kind of set themselves up for failure, because people remember Saints Row 2 and 4, which only got there because they were the second go at the city and engine, so they had a lot more customization, tweaks to the formula and so on. While I honestly really like the new game it is very clearly suffering from being the first go around with a lot of things. Hopefully they get the opportunity for a second go with a sequel or DLC.

Yeah the odd number Saints Row games get poo poo on unfairly imo. 1 was seen as a buggy piece of poo poo to the point I remember goons in IRC spamming this video at me when I said I was playing it and having a good time

https://youtu.be/9l_YN-yRCVY

Saints Row 3 I remember the forums being real lukewarm on because it was a new city, and it wasn't as memorable as the original city, and they got rid of characters, and the story was a mess, etc etc

I don't really have an end point here but the septic avenger was the best mini game in the entire series and if it isn't back in the new game it needs to be brought back

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Len posted:

Yeah the odd number Saints Row games get poo poo on unfairly imo. 1 was seen as a buggy piece of poo poo to the point I remember goons in IRC spamming this video at me when I said I was playing it and having a good time

I never beat the first Saints Row because... the second-to-last mission has you drive to some place. Once you pass a spot on the bridge, the passenger is supposed to start talking about something, but instead it just made my car embed itself in an invisible wall, shake violently and then explode :(

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

credburn posted:

I never beat the first Saints Row because... the second-to-last mission has you drive to some place. Once you pass a spot on the bridge, the passenger is supposed to start talking about something, but instead it just made my car embed itself in an invisible wall, shake violently and then explode :(

You didn't miss much. SR 2 half-rear end explains the end of SR1 and blows right past that fairly quickly. Call backs to cannon, sure, but none of it needs the player to have gone through 1.

gently caress. I bought them all, up to 4, on release. As little as the story matters they're all like that. There is even a whole bit making fun of Mass Effect's attempts at continuity, within SR4. More than one bit, in fact. gently caress everyone, if you please.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

credburn posted:

Saints Row 1 ends with your character being blown up, so in fact you have the storyline dead-on.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I played SR3, then 4, then 2, and 2 definitely has some real doozy gut-punch moments that I will go watch on YouTube every now and then just for the delivery. I hadn't seen any of them outside of the non-spoilery names people mention them by (like the "Get Up" scene) and holy moly does the game deliver on them. I appreciate the goofiness that 3 and 4 offered up but I wish it kept more of that whiplash, where I can end the septic tank minigame and be a mission away from having a villain I actually gave a drat about hating.

Did SR2 ever get a proper remaster or was it primarily just the goon-made patch that smoothed a lot of the rough edges?

bawk has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Aug 29, 2022

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Some of the original developers were doing an unofficial update in their free time, but the main guy ended up dying of cancer so it'll probably never be finished

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

SiKboy posted:

Come on now, I liked the game, but... No.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Flashbacks to Mad Max on NES and never getting anywhere and the car constantly running out of gas and running through the same grey corridors hoping I don't run out of bullets

the weird side scrolling boss fight against the humungus was so out of no where. glad there is a mad max game that isnt hot garbage now

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

It is weird that in a world where fuckin' Kingdoms of Amalur got a remaster Deep Silver hasn't tried to make some quick money from rereleasing SR2. I wonder if its a mess under the hood or if there's something with the music rights that would make it too expensive to bother with.

Or maybe I'm just overestimating how much of cult hit Saints Row 2 is/was.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Sorry if your game has segments where you perform insurance fraud by ragdolling in front of highway traffic and ones where you spray doodoo on houses it should not attempt to get super deep and emotionally gut punch you, that's poo poo in GTA and it was poo poo in the SR games that tried it.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Sally posted:

the weird side scrolling boss fight against the humungus was so out of no where. glad there is a mad max game that isnt hot garbage now

The what now??

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Cues to me back in my knee-highs trying to get past the second level of Time Lord because I knew I had to shoot that orb at the end of the cowboy level, but it kept moving up out of jumping range every time you got close to it. I spent months trying to find the spot they wanted me to hit with no luck. And it was only one of the only two games I could hope to get in a year! gently caress Rare

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

https://youtu.be/1SXJhptQX2M

scrub to 37:30 it's so weird lol

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Crowetron posted:

It is weird that in a world where fuckin' Kingdoms of Amalur got a remaster Deep Silver hasn't tried to make some quick money from rereleasing SR2. I wonder if its a mess under the hood or if there's something with the music rights that would make it too expensive to bother with.

I think the major problem is that SR2's code is made of toothpicks and string, it's why the PC port was so bad for so long. It basically took a mod to fix it. They pretty much HAD to rebuild everything from scratch for SR3.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Sally posted:

https://youtu.be/1SXJhptQX2M

scrub to 37:30 it's so weird lol

Holy hell the sound of that intro tune & the car sounds were apparently seared into my brain.

And Humungous can just spam out shots? Tiny me might just have snapped that cartridge in two if I ever got that far

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Kitfox88 posted:

Sorry if your game has segments where you perform insurance fraud by ragdolling in front of highway traffic and ones where you spray doodoo on houses it should not attempt to get super deep and emotionally gut punch you, that's poo poo in GTA and it was poo poo in the SR games that tried it.

It owns actually

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Crowetron posted:

quote:

In October 2019, Volition announced it had found the source code and that it would begin work to rebuild the game for modern systems, including replacing GameSpy with Steam matchmaking support, along with allowing for user mods. Additionally, when the update is released it will contain the two DLCs, "Ultor Exposed" and "Corporate Warfare" which had not been previously released for personal computers. The community manager that had led the effort, Mike Watson (also known as "IdolNinja"), died from cancer on August 5, 2021, but he was aware his condition had been deteriorating in the prior year and ensured that the work was moved to a small team with Volition's and Deep Silver's support to continue on without his lead.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
For context, the original PC port was done by a different porting studio and was juuuust about functional. Y'know, assuming your CPU clock speed exactly matched that of the Xbox 360. Mine did at the time. Game worked fine. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Instead of making it work with Steam just bring back GameSpy.

And won.net while you're at it.