Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ThePeavstenator posted:

It's too bad that this multimillion dollar brand owned by a billion dollar corporation can't solve the gargantuan task of allocating an appropriate amount of resources to a real product that they charge money for.

They don't have to because they don't need to. They make more money than they should off that broken piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ThePeavstenator posted:

It's too bad that this multimillion dollar brand owned by a billion dollar corporation doesn't have to solve the gargantuan task of allocating an appropriate amount of resources to a real product that they charge money for.

FTFY

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

How the gently caress do they have card-specific bugs in flashback drafts?

This is a cool design and would be interesting for standard when Cycling comes back.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 28, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Flashback drafts have revealed that in the magical land of MODO, cards half a decade old break constantly. Here's one of my personal favorites.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

HMS Boromir posted:

Flashback drafts have revealed that in the magical land of MODO, cards half a decade old break constantly. Here's one of my personal favorites.

This is a good bug.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
This match at Eternal Weekend is incredible to watch. Paradoxical Outcome vs. Stax. The Paradoxical Outcome player had a Tolarian Academy and a bunch of Moxen and a Sol Ring out. He cast Voltaic Key, but only had two mana left, so he didn't cast the Time Vault in his hand, presumably to not give away he had it. The Stax player just had a Thorn of Amethyst and two Workshops in play, passed the turn, and the Paradoxical Outcome player cast Paradoxical Outcome instead of just going Vault + Key = Win. He's been playing slowly and nervously ever since, even misplaying his Time Vault and letting the Stax player take a turn. The commentators and chat are wondering what the hell he's doing when he could have easily taken infinite turns and cast Blightsteel Colossus against his opponent's empty board. The Stax player is obviously forcing him to play it out, especially because he's up a game.

Edit: Now the Paradoxical Outcome player tried to get a Tolarian Academy with Mystical Tutor and the Stax player called a judge, and it's been like ten minutes.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 28, 2016

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

BJPaskoff posted:

This match at Eternal Weekend is incredible to watch. Paradoxical Outcome vs. Stax. The Paradoxical Outcome player had a Tolarian Academy and a bunch of Moxen and a Sol Ring out. He cast Voltaic Key, but only had two mana left, so he didn't cast the Time Vault in his hand, presumably to not give away he had it. The Stax player just had a Thorn of Amethyst and two Workshops in play, passed the turn, and the Paradoxical Outcome player cast Paradoxical Outcome instead of just going Vault + Key = Win. He's been playing slowly and nervously ever since, even misplaying his Time Vault and letting the Stax player take a turn. The commentators and chat are wondering what the hell he's doing when he could have easily taken infinite turns and cast Blightsteel Colossus against his opponent's empty board. The Stax player is obviously forcing him to play it out, especially because he's up a game.

Edit: Now the Paradoxical Outcome player tried to get a Tolarian Academy with Mystical Tutor and the Stax player called a judge, and it's been like ten minutes.

Fuckin' noobs not knowing Dark Ritual is the only mana source you can get. /eyeroll

That was a stupid ruling too, BTW. The judge saying stupid poo poo doesn't change the text on the card, yet he can't go and get something because of it. I mean, good sporting on the player I guess.

En Fuego fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 28, 2016

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
It's especially amusing since Blightsteel is in Michael's hand so he couldn't have Tinkered to win the game anyways.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Elyv posted:

Wheel of Fortune doesn't exile itself, Yawgmoth's Will does.

E:

It's too bad the rules are tight enough that you don't get to come back even if you lose the game due to going past 0. That would be funny :v:

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

It's especially amusing since Blightsteel is in Michael's hand so he couldn't have Tinkered to win the game anyways.

It seems like had an easy mystical > brainstorm > tinker line instead of fiddling around trying to make mana.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I know exactly what players in my playgroup I'm going to slap Curse of Vengeance on, though.

The two that spite scoop everytime Something Bad Happens™

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love the glowing red sword of damocles over the throne in the art of Curse of vengeance.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I'm a Paradoxical Outcome convert, I want to play this loving storm deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

black potus posted:

I'm a Paradoxical Outcome convert, I want to play this loving storm deck.

Convince about 3000 more oeple to do so and buy it ut so I can sell my pile of them for 15 bucks

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I'm about a week late, but I top 8'd Kaladesh Game Day with a mono red pile I spent the morning removing the rotated cards from (like 2/3 of the deck). Borrowed Skyship Stalkers, Lathnu Hellions and a Smuggler's Copter from a buddy, wish I'd seen them in any games I played (even after siding in).

4 Falkenrath Gorger
4 Hanweir Garrison
2 Insolent Neonate
2 Lathnu Hellion
2 Mirrorwing Dragon
2 Ravenous Bloodseeker
1 Skyship Stalker
4 Thermo-Alchemist
4 Village Messenger
4 Chandra's Pyrohelix
3 Collective Defiance
4 Incendiary Flow
3 Fiery Temper
2 Hanweir Battlements
19 Mountain
-
1 Collective Defiance
1 Fiery Temper
2 Hijack
2 Skyship Stalker
1 Smuggler's Copter
Some other cards I can't remember at the moment.

I lost in the top 8 to BG Delirium agro, but that's okay because I'd've lost to either of the Bant Spirits players. /shrug Standard feels clunky as poo poo right now. :saddowns:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The bant spirits deck is legit good. Played it twice so far in events and it really is powerful. I don't agree with the dumb aura, but everything else fits perfectly.

The interaction!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sickening posted:

The bant spirits deck is legit good. Played it twice so far in events and it really is powerful. I don't agree with the dumb aura, but everything else fits perfectly.

The interaction!

It really makes me regret selling my Hierarchs. I already had everything else from UW except for like, a Botanical Sanctum.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sickening posted:

The interaction!

Aura?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Gosh I hope this card gets added in at common online so I can try it out in Pauper. It's A) an untapped mana source that B) can act as a Shimmering Grotto if necessary (pay 1 to search for a basic, play that basic, play your spell) and C) shuffles Brainstorm cards away. Having a land that both enables Brainstorm and acts as the fifth untapped land for Peregrine Drake is really good and I'd love to experiment with it, since 4 Terramorphic Expanse and 4 Evolving Wilds can get really clunky really fast.

of course they'll probably gently caress it up and not bother to put it in the drat chests

Steel of the Godhead in Modern Bant Spirits. I think some people were talking about the Standard Bant Spirits but when you've got Geist on the brain it's hard to slow down and parse which format is which.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Steel of the Godhead.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

How very Caleb.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The GP Warsaw stream is in constant microvibration.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Holy poo poo this game is a mess. Awful technical play. No regard or understanding for what cards do. This would be embarrassing at an FNM.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Rinkles posted:

Holy poo poo this game is a mess. Awful technical play. No regard or understanding for what cards do. This would be embarrassing at an FNM.

The guy casting the Deep fiend seemed to know what his cards do. The other guy seemed to have picked the deck up 10 mins before the event.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

DoctorOozy posted:

The guy casting the Deep fiend seemed to know what his cards do. The other guy seemed to have picked the deck up 10 mins before the event.

He certainly played better, but allowed his opponent's sloppy play to degenerate the game to an unintelligible state (and he did exile his KReturn w/o having it deal damage). The UW guy was disorganized and at a few points (it looked like) went back on a line after his opponent wanted to respond to it.

What was the final ruling? I left the stream when I saw a judge got involved. Two minutes later the match was over. Did one of them concede?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also unfortunate

https://twitter.com/magicprotour/status/792326300233003008

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Gosh I hope this card gets added in at common online so I can try it out in Pauper. It's A) an untapped mana source that B) can act as a Shimmering Grotto if necessary (pay 1 to search for a basic, play that basic, play your spell) and C) shuffles Brainstorm cards away. Having a land that both enables Brainstorm and acts as the fifth untapped land for Peregrine Drake is really good and I'd love to experiment with it, since 4 Terramorphic Expanse and 4 Evolving Wilds can get really clunky really fast.

People are playing Crumbling Vestige in drake right now, since it still enables turn 5 drake but also can cast lightning bolt or or a cantrip when you need it to.

I think it's fine in non-blue pauper decks but it's risky in blue since it's the only fixing source that won't let you keep one land and a ponder/preordain brainstorm. Maybe drake wouldn't keep that hand anyways though.

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!
What the hell just happened with Pact of the Titan?

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Rinkles posted:

What was the final ruling? I left the stream when I saw a judge got involved.

They removed the copter that had been crewed. The second spirit remained as the deep fiend that triggred the k-return was in response to it. All the other creatures were protected because of the first spirit.

Basically they argued for 10 mins over the copter. Didn't see who won, now the stream is down.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Don't know if it's actually good, but predict in Miracles sounds awesome. Is that a recent innovation?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Rinkles posted:

Don't know if it's actually good, but predict in Miracles sounds awesome. Is that a recent innovation?

Nope, it has been around for a while, definitely much more fun to watch though

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

little munchkin posted:

People are playing Crumbling Vestige in drake right now, since it still enables turn 5 drake but also can cast lightning bolt or or a cantrip when you need it to.

I think it's fine in non-blue pauper decks but it's risky in blue since it's the only fixing source that won't let you keep one land and a ponder/preordain brainstorm. Maybe drake wouldn't keep that hand anyways though.

I'm the only person who plays Vestige, specifically because it allows turn 1 Bolt and is an untapped blue source, and I haven't seen anyone else play it and I've received compliments from the notable Stompy players because it's what allows me to have an advantage in that matchup. It's kind of weird - I see a bunch of people doing insane things like maindecking Dispel or Deep Analysis that make their aggro matchups significantly worse, but most people haven't realized that the cycling lands are super clunky and that their manabase can be improved. I even saw someone playing Radiant Fountain, which seems terrible. I'd try 4 Ash Barrens 4 bouncelands and some number of fetchlands and see if that leads to too many unkeepable hands, but it isn't like Ash Barrens is any worse than actual Mountain or Forgotten Cave when deciding if you can keep a low land hand.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Meanwhile on https://www.twitch.tv/cardtitan Randy and Bob Maher have been going on about stories about old R&D and how some of the old invitational cards were made.

Also got to see some really sloppy play involving Chalice of the Void and an eldrazi player "forgetting" his chalice triggers twice. Too bad he won his match against stilfe-naught.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Bugsy posted:

Meanwhile on https://www.twitch.tv/cardtitan Randy and Bob Maher have been going on about stories about old R&D and how some of the old invitational cards were made.

I turned on that stream and literally the first thing I hear is Randy Buehler saying "I don't recognize these cards".

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
goblins is 7-0, everything is good

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Hellsau posted:

I'm the only person who plays Vestige, specifically because it allows turn 1 Bolt and is an untapped blue source, and I haven't seen anyone else play it and I've received compliments from the notable Stompy players because it's what allows me to have an advantage in that matchup. It's kind of weird - I see a bunch of people doing insane things like maindecking Dispel or Deep Analysis that make their aggro matchups significantly worse, but most people haven't realized that the cycling lands are super clunky and that their manabase can be improved. I even saw someone playing Radiant Fountain, which seems terrible. I'd try 4 Ash Barrens 4 bouncelands and some number of fetchlands and see if that leads to too many unkeepable hands, but it isn't like Ash Barrens is any worse than actual Mountain or Forgotten Cave when deciding if you can keep a low land hand.

So glad the next paper pauper event that I'm going to has drake banned.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cactrot posted:

So glad the next paper pauper event that I'm going to has drake banned.

I can't really understand how Drake hasn't been banned yet, unless WotC just doesn't want people playing Pauper and they figure they could just make the format stale by leaving Drake around. It's survived three B&R announcements and no good reason has been given for allowing it to stay. It's straight up more powerful than Cloud of Faeries, no matter what their dumb developers blog says.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
What is it about Legacy that players have so many mistakes and judge calls?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Bugsy posted:

Here's where that starts in the VoD for those who are interested.

EDIT:

80s James Hetfield posted:

What is it about Legacy that players have so many mistakes and judge calls?

A huge pool of viable decks and cards with a lot of corner-case interactions (Sylvan Library plus Brainstorm!), also a lot of serious Legacy players don't play at as many high-level events because it's not as supported as Standard or Modern.

Sit on my Jace fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

This is really nice, especially the Shadowmage Infiltrator story and Kai's reaction.

e: jesus christ Jacob Wilson is a genius. Kaladesh stipulation draft - he starts at 10 life and concedes if he falls below it.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 29, 2016

• Locked thread