Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Uncle Kitchener posted:

This, Disruptor, Resident Evil Survivor, Delta Force (pretty terrible among PS1 shooters), Medal of Honour (both games were really fun), Alien Trilogy and Duke Total Meltdown. The PS1 Rainbow Six games were also the first of the games I played in the series.

I noticed a disappointing lack of PO'ed in that list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Where's the ring

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Vakal posted:

I noticed a disappointing lack of PO'ed in that list.

I remember seeing this game as a kid and thought it looked terrible. Do tell me more about it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I remember seeing this game as a kid and thought it looked terrible. Do tell me more about it.

You play a chef on a spaceship where the whole crew's been abducted by aliens. The fundamental objective of each level is to get to the teleporter at the end of the map, which starts you at the next level. Pretty small arsenal (although one of the final weapons acts a lot like UT's "redeemer" with a remote-controlled missile cam), but a pretty relatively generous amount of Z-axis navigation on some of the maps, thanks to the presence of a jetpack. The game has not aged well, however--it went with an aesthetic that looks pretty terrible compared to games like Doom and Duke 3D, and most of the maps are indistinct areas that are ugly as poo poo.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I'm continuing with my Evilution w\ Dead Marine playthrough, and man, did I ever regret playing map 31 Pharaoh. So many blind switches, plus blind switches that are also invisible. I've been liking Evilution a lot so far, but Pharaoh took what few complaints I did have about the Wad and made a map of solely out of them.

The maps are starting to feel empty now, and I have full ammo most of the time. I usually go into new wads on HMP because UV often feels like a slog to me on non-vanilla maps, but Evilution mustbe early enough that slaughter-itis hadn't caught the mapping community yet. I guess it did have to run on non-extended versions, right? I can turn the difficulty up mid-run in GZDoom, right? I've never tried that before.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Beat Plutonia and while it definitely got better after the first few levels, it was also a real mixed bag as a whole. Two levels in particular were absolutely miserable and the CHAINGUNS AND REVENANTS meme is real. I can definitely vouch for Final Doomer+ however, since I like messing with different arsenals and this one is even near-vanilla balanced. I'm currently a few levels into TNT (first impressions are a lot more positive) and it looks like the differences between weaponsets are more considerable than I though.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
You know, in all the years I've been playing Doom and with all the advancements that have been afforded me with mouselook and a higher framerate, I still do not know how to deal with the surprise Revenant in the face. I almost always end up eating a rocket when one of those fucks agitates out of a closet.

If I have even a little distance I will chain-stun one, or pop out of cover with the SSG, rain rockets or dump plasma. But when the revenant is just suddenly in your face, what can you do? You don't have any weaponry that will drop him faster than he can get one shot off. I suppose plasma will stun him until dead, but I'm typically not cruising around with the plasma gun out.

I do know the behavioral trick that they will only punch you up close if they have not yet taken damage, but I'm not sure how to exploit that into not taking damage when two of em pop out right behind you.

And given the amount of user maps that drop revs on you around every other corner, I feel like everybody else knows something that I don't.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Guillermus posted:

Dredd 2012 is loving awesome and I hope the rumours of netflix doing a series with Karl Urban are right.

they are doing a series called mega city one, urban said he'd be up for it if they wrote him some decent stuff and not a pass by cameo but it's meant to be a nypd blue type of thing.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks to whoever posted that link to the emulator for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. It took a little bit of tweaking but it looks and plays great. Does anyone know if there's a way to keep it from having everything unlocked right off the bat, including all of the cheats and levels? Part of the fun of Goldeneye for me was trying for some of the different difficulties and it doesn't even seem to track if you've beaten, say, the 007 difficulty on a given level (with a checkmark or whatever).

Edit: Nevermind, I apparently didn't see the other files you could start.

Chinook fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 10, 2017

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Copper Vein posted:

You know, in all the years I've been playing Doom and with all the advancements that have been afforded me with mouselook and a higher framerate, I still do not know how to deal with the surprise Revenant in the face. I almost always end up eating a rocket when one of those fucks agitates out of a closet.

If I have even a little distance I will chain-stun one, or pop out of cover with the SSG, rain rockets or dump plasma. But when the revenant is just suddenly in your face, what can you do? You don't have any weaponry that will drop him faster than he can get one shot off. I suppose plasma will stun him until dead, but I'm typically not cruising around with the plasma gun out.

I do know the behavioral trick that they will only punch you up close if they have not yet taken damage, but I'm not sure how to exploit that into not taking damage when two of em pop out right behind you.

And given the amount of user maps that drop revs on you around every other corner, I feel like everybody else knows something that I don't.
You bait the punch, back up a little, and shoot the ssg. Once you get the timing, they are much, much easier to deal with.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You play a chef on a spaceship where the whole crew's been abducted by aliens. The fundamental objective of each level is to get to the teleporter at the end of the map, which starts you at the next level. Pretty small arsenal (although one of the final weapons acts a lot like UT's "redeemer" with a remote-controlled missile cam), but a pretty relatively generous amount of Z-axis navigation on some of the maps, thanks to the presence of a jetpack. The game has not aged well, however--it went with an aesthetic that looks pretty terrible compared to games like Doom and Duke 3D, and most of the maps are indistinct areas that are ugly as poo poo.

Well, this did get me to try out a PSX emulator, though I think I'll try Duke first.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Well, this did get me to try out a PSX emulator, though I think I'll try Duke first.

I've always been disappointed that they never figured out a way to extract the episode 4 exclusive levels in Total Meltdown to eDuke or something.

But at least you can play regular duke with the Total Meltdown OST.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i like plutonia a lot but i am so loving sick of the first 3 or 4 levels of it

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

loga mira posted:

There are less intrusive ways of controlling which guns the player uses, like limiting ammo availability. Of course then players start hoarding ammo. I guess in that Halo was a more old school game than HL2 for example, if it didn't always give you the exact right gun/ammo for it before a fight.

Then by all video game designing logic you'd have more ammo for your workhorses than your power weapons, however generous or not with ammo the game was. So you'd never get the kind of situation I'm describing. Plus, honestly, Halo's weapons mostly aren't different enough to justify having all of them and switching in fight. Hell, there's basically two duplicates of almost every weapon. The difference would be you'd always have BR + plasma available to cheese elites, double sniper ammo pool between beam + sniper you'd use exclusively for long range/jackals. double rocket ammo pool always available to just overpower fights of your choice, you'd always have shotgun + sword also to cheese elites but you wouldn't be making any trade off in midrange/long range effectiveness for it.
I think this would all make the gameplay strictly worse, most of all always having BR + plasma without the huge downside of one of your two weapon slots being a plasma pistol, but the rest would be pretty lame too.
I'm right there with you in preferring multiple weapons and thinking the platonic ideal of action fps probably has that (is the ideal action fps just doom? probably) but in the context of all of halo's other mechanics I think it would be a strict downgrade.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the shittiest design choice is the deus ex invisible war thing of just one universal ammo pool, so you figure out which weapon offers the highest damage per ammo and use that forever

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/idSoftware/status/939619155820662784

Vakal posted:

I've always been disappointed that they never figured out a way to extract the episode 4 exclusive levels in Total Meltdown to eDuke or something.

But at least you can play regular duke with the Total Meltdown OST.
The dudes that ported Duke64 to eDuke32 have been working on a port of the PS1 stuff for years, but I think it's currently on hold due to one of the technical minds of the operation working on Ion Maiden.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Also! CACOWARDS!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Kins posted:

The dudes that ported Duke64 to eDuke32

Wait I can play with dukebots?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

site posted:

Wait I can play with dukebots?
The Duke64 bots were actually added to the engine in v1.5 as a testing tool of sorts. They're astoundingly stupid and spend most of their time kicking walls waiting for someone to show up and then murdering them instantly. You can fight them using command lines, but I think they're busted in eDuke32 at the moment.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I've mentioned it before, but the Attrition mode for Duke 3D is really fun if you have gotten bored of vanilla Duke.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-nukem-attrition

Duke's weapons gain exp with every monster killed up to the point where things like the pipe bombs can cause small nuclear chain-explosions that wipe out entire sections of the map.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Congratulations to SA's own Terminus. :toot:

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Half Life 2 is an excellent "retro" FPS but I've already played through it and the extra episodes. If you are looking for a somewhat retro FPS game I would suggest Aliens: Colonial Marines. I purchased it on STEAM the other day & it gave me all the nostalgic feels for that sci-fi action stuff

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

A3th3r posted:

Half Life 2 is an excellent "retro" FPS but I've already played through it and the extra episodes. If you are looking for a somewhat retro FPS game I would suggest Aliens: Colonial Marines. I purchased it on STEAM the other day & it gave me all the nostalgic feels for that sci-fi action stuff

Aliens: Colonial Marines? Isn't that the game that was universally panned and even part of a lawsuit for false advertising because of how inferior the finished product was compared to the previews/trailers (or something like that)? I didn't think anybody played that game of their own volition.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Colonial Marines is loving trash, what is wrong with you

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
He might mean Alien vs. Predator Classic 2000. At least, I hope so. :ohdear:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Vakal posted:

I've mentioned it before, but the Attrition mode for Duke 3D is really fun if you have gotten bored of vanilla Duke.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-nukem-attrition

Duke's weapons gain exp with every monster killed up to the point where things like the pipe bombs can cause small nuclear chain-explosions that wipe out entire sections of the map.

This is a good mod but man the Duke clowns will kick your rear end as soon as they see you

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Whoa, Idle Doom was mentioned on the Cacoawards! I contributed with graphics and some ideas and also I'm proud of my friend who created it. This is nice.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

DisDisDis posted:

Then by all video game designing logic you'd have more ammo for your workhorses than your power weapons, however generous or not with ammo the game was. So you'd never get the kind of situation I'm describing. Plus, honestly, Halo's weapons mostly aren't different enough to justify having all of them and switching in fight. Hell, there's basically two duplicates of almost every weapon. The difference would be you'd always have BR + plasma available to cheese elites, double sniper ammo pool between beam + sniper you'd use exclusively for long range/jackals. double rocket ammo pool always available to just overpower fights of your choice, you'd always have shotgun + sword also to cheese elites but you wouldn't be making any trade off in midrange/long range effectiveness for it.
I think this would all make the gameplay strictly worse, most of all always having BR + plasma without the huge downside of one of your two weapon slots being a plasma pistol, but the rest would be pretty lame too.
I'm right there with you in preferring multiple weapons and thinking the platonic ideal of action fps probably has that (is the ideal action fps just doom? probably) but in the context of all of halo's other mechanics I think it would be a strict downgrade.

I only have a vague memory of Halo to be honest. They should give it a proper remake.

Haven't seen this posted. It's from the Painkiller devs who made a walking sim also, or maybe that's a joke. The environments look smaller and the enemies seem slower, but it's just a teaser so who knows. I liked the slower parts of Painkiller more than the arenas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zqjNkdXT94

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I am in awe of how much Aliens: Colonial Marines managed to piss all over both the aliens vs predator game franchise AND the Aliens franchise all at once.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It put Randy Pitchford an rear end in a top hat king crown on top of his head. Before that he was just a stupid prick but after ruining one of the coolest franchises he deserves everything.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

loga mira posted:

I only have a vague memory of Halo to be honest. They should give it a proper remake.

Haven't seen this posted. It's from the Painkiller devs who made a walking sim also, or maybe that's a joke. The environments look smaller and the enemies seem slower, but it's just a teaser so who knows. I liked the slower parts of Painkiller more than the arenas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zqjNkdXT94

They did remake it in 2011. HCE Anniversary. It’s okay.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

Oh right the one that had the button to switch to old graphics. Wish it was on PC. I tried to get used to pad aiming on the 360, after playing through a couple games it still was frustrating so I gave up.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

The Kins posted:

The Duke64 bots were actually added to the engine in v1.5 as a testing tool of sorts. They're astoundingly stupid and spend most of their time kicking walls waiting for someone to show up and then murdering them instantly. You can fight them using command lines, but I think they're busted in eDuke32 at the moment.

they were still stupid on the actual n64. i remember spending ages looking for one bot in one of the space maps only to find him trying constantly jump and open a door that wasnt there. i had to track his constant "where is it" sound. fun times.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

loga mira posted:

Oh right the one that had the button to switch to old graphics. Wish it was on PC. I tried to get used to pad aiming on the 360, after playing through a couple games it still was frustrating so I gave up.

There's also the Halo 1 fanmod Halo SPV3, which is basically a remaster of Halo to make all the post-halo fiction and games fit the first game (there's brutes, guns from all the games, bigger maps, etc.).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Happy 24th birthday to Doom!

:toot: :clint:

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

In its life as a video game Doom can be proud of the choices it's made, unlike Halo which you can't even buy digitally apparently.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

skasion posted:

They did remake it in 2011. HCE Anniversary. It’s okay.
It's actually better in the Master Chief Collection, to my understanding. Still have the option to toggle old and new assets, but now everything runs at 60FPS, unlike the 30FPS-with-frame-pacing-issues that the 360 Anniversary went with. Plus, 360 Anniversary's multiplayer is clearly just the old maps inside Reach's multiplayer, whereas MCC actually bothered to port the original game's multiplayer properly.

Shame that came before Xbox Play Anywhere, though; no PC version for us.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

loga mira posted:

In its life as a video game Doom can be proud of the choices it's made, unlike Halo which you can't even buy digitally apparently.
Thank God Doom wasn't bought out by Bethesda for a long time after its release or else who knows. They couldn't even be bothered to commission an actual source port despite the fact that it would be the easiest thing in the world, and instead decided bundling DOSBox was a superior option for some reason??

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Linguica posted:

Thank God Doom wasn't bought out by Bethesda for a long time after its release or else who knows. They couldn't even be bothered to commission an actual source port despite the fact that it would be the easiest thing in the world, and instead decided bundling DOSBox was a superior option for some reason??

You know that if they could have been bothered with a Windows port it'd just have been bundling Doom 95.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
I vaguely remember one of the id guys talking about how it would be nice to fix up the Quake package on Steam, to use a modern Quake engine and take advantage of QOL improvements and soundtrack-file playback and modern mapping limits and etc.

One of the things getting in the way was how to handle rights issues. Obviously the Quake codebase is supposed to be GPL, including derivative works like modern engines, but they'd have to do a code audit to make sure. And then figure out the most appropriate way to work with contributors -- they might be within their rights to just take the engine and sell it, but that might cause some bad community reaction. In the end there was a bunch of problems cropping up that were solvable but not something the company (id and/or Zenimax) could be convinced to throw resources at.

I'm not sure if this is better or worse than some of the cases on GOG where various community contributions are just hoovered up and redistributed without even giving credit.