Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
I've never yelled at a Comcast rep, but there have been several times where I've gotten one who has absolutely no idea how to do what I need them to do, when that happens I'll say "Look, [name], this isn't working out so I'm going to hang up now and call back for a different tech. Have a good day". I don't know if that makes me a jerk or not, but there is definitely a huge disparity in the knowledge level of their phone support people, so I'd rather spend another few minutes in the queue than an extra 30+ on the phone with someone who can't actually resolve my issue, and they won't manually transfer you themselves unless you need something that requires a manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Gunjin posted:

I've never yelled at a Comcast rep, but there have been several times where I've gotten one who has absolutely no idea how to do what I need them to do, when that happens I'll say "Look, [name], this isn't working out so I'm going to hang up now and call back for a different tech. Have a good day". I don't know if that makes me a jerk or not, but there is definitely a huge disparity in the knowledge level of their phone support people, so I'd rather spend another few minutes in the queue than an extra 30+ on the phone with someone who can't actually resolve my issue, and they won't manually transfer you themselves unless you need something that requires a manager.

I've never had a problem getting a transfer. "I work in IT and this is way beyond what your looking at I did the following" and if they seem confused "Can I speak to the next level up, I've been over this stuff already" at that point I've never failed with "I'm thinking about canceling can you transfer me to retention".

All in a nice even tone. If you yell any of the sentences above you will come off as a massive rear end in a top hat instead of someone that just wants poo poo fixed. This line is only taken after they prove they have no way of fixing my issue but are going to keep following a script that is going down the completely wrong path. (Yeah I can't do that, the power supply on your modem caught fire it wont turn on at all send me a new one already).

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Do note that this was all business TV service, not internet. I would get techs who couldn't successfully activate a new box. They will never transfer you, they just keep trying to activate it over and over, and it takes a few minutes per attempt. "Ohh, that didn't work, well hold on, let me try this signal, hmm still no good, let me initiate a remote reboot. The box didn't reboot, hold on, let me flash it again"...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EoRaptor posted:

It's trivially easy to spoof CallerID, and the way the phone system works means there is no way of tracing it. The protocol phone companies use to talk to each other (SS7) has no security at all, and while an improved version exists that adds security, precisely zero companies have adopted it since it was standardized ~25 years ago.
Yeah this. The global telephone network is no more authenticated than email, and for basically the same reason. The protocols were designed back when it was a somewhat closed network where bad actors could be easily tracked down and either pressured by their peers to stop doing what they're doing or just removed from the network. It isn't really equipped to handle the current reality where anyone can get a VoIP trunk for a couple of bucks that gives them the same privileges on the network that you'd need some form of digital leased line to get up until recently.

It's hard to deal with from a carrier perspective because a customer often will have multiple termination providers for redundancy and/or least cost routing. Only one of those, if any, are the origination provider for a given number and thus most or all of them will not be able to verify ownership of whatever number they're requesting to send as caller ID.

There's a scheme that's being worked on these days with some pressure from the FCC due to the huge increase in garbage calls recently, but it's still going to be a long time before it's widely implemented and I'd also expect that we'll see implementations performing like 1999-era Hotmail spam filters.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

There's already a ton of apps for your phone that claim to block spam calls from all spoofed numbers. I'm really not sure how that works, I assume a report button but if the number was spoofed they likely aren't going to use the same number again. I often get a call from my own phone number with a few digits changed as the spoof.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I was just thrown a farewell party...from my favorite clients. This particular group has always appreciated my work on their behalf, so they catered a lunch and even got a cake that said "Good luck, [Macaroni]!"

I think it's kind of charming that another department held a farewell lunch for me and my own management probably won't do poo poo.

pixaal posted:

There's already a ton of apps for your phone that claim to block spam calls from all spoofed numbers. I'm really not sure how that works, I assume a report button but if the number was spoofed they likely aren't going to use the same number again. I often get a call from my own phone number with a few digits changed as the spoof.
Not sure if you're on iPhone, but if so please let me shill for the app Hiya. It has a feature that lets you block phone numbers (XXX) YYY-???? where X and Y are your area code and prefix, so it stops all those fake "neighbor" spoofs that look like they're originating from your area. It's cut the number of spam calls I get by about 90%.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

I was just thrown a farewell party...from my favorite clients. This particular group has always appreciated my work on their behalf, so they catered a lunch and even got a cake that said "Good luck, [Macaroni]!"

I think it's kind of charming that another department held a farewell lunch for me and my own management probably won't do poo poo.
Not sure if you're on iPhone, but if so please let me shill for the app Hiya. It has a feature that lets you block phone numbers (XXX) YYY-???? where X and Y are your area code and prefix, so it stops all those fake "neighbor" spoofs that look like they're originating from your area. It's cut the number of spam calls I get by about 90%.

Android, but that wouldn't work for me at all. My family has a block of 50 or so numbers and I'm in the middle of it. My uncle thought it'd be a great idea in the 90s for everyone's cellphone to be close, he still has several unused and is currently trying to convince my cousin's husband to switch from the number he's had for over a decade. Just hold on to them another 10 years, we'll use them up fast when all these kids get old enough to have a cellphone.

Don't buy vanity numbers it's dumb.

Most of my spam calls will happily tell me a family member is calling

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Every time someone in the US talks about their cellphone having an area code that represents a physical location I get confused

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002
I installed YouMail for Android, and now I just send any call not in my contacts to a recording of the number disconnected message. Now I'll have a few days of a lull where no calls get blocked, but then they always come back later. I keep saying if I have a week go by with no blocked calls then I'll uninstall it, but not getting calls from non-contacts hasn't really caused me any problems.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thanks Ants posted:

Every time someone in the US talks about their cellphone having an area code that represents a physical location I get confused

Well the old attempts to have a special snowflake "cell phones/faxes/modems only" area code feel apart in the late 80s/early 90s when it quickly became apparent that a) some people were going to exclusively use a mobile number b) we'd have to assign an awful lot of new "cell phones only" codes if we were going to do that and c) this would ultimately cause a crisis of both existing area codes being underused but already allocated, at the same time we needed to bring out a bunch of new area codes.

And realy it's not like it would have given people something useful to have special cell phone only area codes - a call's a call.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

fishmech posted:

Well the old attempts to have a special snowflake "cell phones/faxes/modems only" area code feel apart in the late 80s/early 90s when it quickly became apparent that a) some people were going to exclusively use a mobile number b) we'd have to assign an awful lot of new "cell phones only" codes if we were going to do that and c) this would ultimately cause a crisis of both existing area codes being underused but already allocated, at the same time we needed to bring out a bunch of new area codes.

And realy it's not like it would have given people something useful to have special cell phone only area codes - a call's a call.

Having mobile phones use the same area codes as landlines has the added bonus of making it less feasible to charge extra for calls to them. Japan has a set of 3 prefixes that are allotted to mobiles and calls to them tend to have a surcharge. An added wrinkle is that receiving calls on a "toll-free" number cost more if they're from mobiles as well. This means you have to opt-in to receiving non-landline calls for a toll-free number you have. You'll see some companies with toll-free numbers also advertise their number for calls from mobiles that isn't toll-free. In summary, gently caress using mobile-specific prefixes.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The Netherlands has a mobile specific prefix and we don't get any of that poo poo. Maybe it's just Japan being poo poo?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Norway had the same stuff, but later legislation has prohibited phone companies from charging cellphone users extra for dialing numbers that are free for landlines etc.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Mr. Fix It posted:

Having mobile phones use the same area codes as landlines has the added bonus of making it less feasible to charge extra for calls to them. Japan has a set of 3 prefixes that are allotted to mobiles and calls to them tend to have a surcharge. An added wrinkle is that receiving calls on a "toll-free" number cost more if they're from mobiles as well. This means you have to opt-in to receiving non-landline calls for a toll-free number you have. You'll see some companies with toll-free numbers also advertise their number for calls from mobiles that isn't toll-free. In summary, gently caress using mobile-specific prefixes.

Same with Australia.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Another bonus is that I've had the same phone number my entire life, despite switching between every telco in existence multiple times.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jeoh posted:

Another bonus is that I've had the same phone number my entire life, despite switching between every telco in existence multiple times.

US does this too, once you have a number you can freely move it between any sort of carrier.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

US does this too, once you have a number you can freely move it between any sort of carrier.

... Since 2008.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thanatosian posted:

... Since 2008.

What? The only reference to changes I can find for 2008 is that's when Mexico implemented portability, which is entirely unrelated to any American usage. Full portability was implemented in the US under the rules of 2003, with the only changes since involving FCC clarifying edge cases.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

DigitalMocking posted:

There's actually a lot of value in them if you find the right one.

1) You often get better pricing because they're buying circuits in bulk.
2) They have leverage to get installs done in locations that you can't get done because of reason 1.
3) You get one bill.
4) You have one throat to choke if things are hosed up.

I'm a fan. We're in the middle of switching our small/medium business over to a broker now for SDWAN, so we're retiring some older, more expensive MPLS/IPVPN circuits, but basically I'm doubling (or more) internet bandwidth at all of my locations, with redundant carriers and where possible redundant physical pathing and my overall telecom spend is going from $290k/yr to $270k/yr and I'm not dealing with 5 different vendors any more.

Years ago, we had a broker to handle all of our circuits and voice lines. At the time, we used AT&T for all our circuits, and generally Qwest/Clink for long distance/PRIs.
We had 100+ sites, so handling things in person wasn’t super feasible in addition to doing our job. It was great, if we needed a new circuit, give them a street address and a date, it was handled. If we had an outage and AT&T was dicking around, we’d call him and it would be handled. We had an outage that Clink was dragging their feet on, so our broker managed to get ahold of the local tech and he was able to shout at the CO tech to get his poo poo together.
However, that person left the company and the service hasn’t been the same, plus we went chasing after cheap instead of good and decided to deal with our main carrier being our broker.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

pixaal posted:

Don't buy vanity numbers it's dumb.

Most of my spam calls will happily tell me a family member is calling
Yikes, sorry to hear that. That's maddening. I have an advantage: my number is still from my old place in Virginia, and exactly zero real people call me from that area code. I just needed to block the spammers from actually ringing on my phone.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Agrikk posted:

Actually, my intent is a little more personal. Maybe I can be the caller that makes this phone drone reevaluate some life decisions. Maybe I can be the caller that make the agent think, “you know what? I don’t need this poo poo. I’m going to get my poo poo together and get my career going for reals.”

A man’s character is most evident by how he treats those who are not in a position either to retaliate or reciprocate.
Go gently caress yourself.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Jeoh posted:

:same:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Another Comcast update: After 1 month, 3 days, and 14 hours, Comcast finally has the new cable into the building! But for some reason they wanted to replace the modem and have hosed up the provisioning on it. They have been working for 3 hours now trying to get that fixed.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Monopolies are the best.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Dunno why the hell they had to replace the modem.. They swapped it with the same model that was already there.

I have a feeling they have provisioned a new account for us and we will be getting a 2nd bill. Has already happened once at that location!

Edit: Finally!!!! It is working again! YAY!

stevewm fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 4, 2019

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Enjoy your new IP addresses

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Enjoy your new IP addresses

Surprisingly, after attempting to re-provision it 3-4 times, they finally got it to work with no changes.

Still getting rid of them assuming this new provider can get their fiber to the building.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

If you have an account manager ask for like 4 months free if you sign a 12 year agreement given the disruption . If their poo poo works may as well milk it for a bit .

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

fist4jesus posted:

A man’s character is most evident by how he treats those who are not in a position either to retaliate or reciprocate.
Go gently caress yourself.

I’ll accept that rebuke. I become a dick when I talk to Comcast but that isn’t an excuse and y’all are right to call me out on it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I'm still answering the door without pants on and ready to throw a beer can when campaign season ramps back up :colbert:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm still answering the door without pants on and ready to throw a beer can when campaign season ramps back up :colbert:

Canvassers and pollsters are already making the rounds here. Someone hit my door buzzer at 8:45 pm, setting off my dogs and waking up my son.

"I have a quick three que-" *door slams*

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Fool posted:

Canvassers and pollsters are already making the rounds here. Someone hit my door buzzer at 8:45 pm, setting off my dogs and waking up my son.

"I have a quick three que-" *door slams*

Canvassers and pollsters don't count, they drank the Kool-Aid and the only way you're deprogramming them is with the sharp dose of reality that only a stern disposition and boxer shorts can provide.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Canvassers and pollsters don't count, they drank the Kool-Aid and the only way you're deprogramming them is with the sharp dose of reality that only a stern disposition and boxer shorts can provide.

If it's after dark (which 8:45pm is around here this time of year) they don't even get boxer shorts.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

PremiumSupport posted:

If it's after dark (which 8:45pm is around here this time of year) they don't even get boxer shorts.

The Priapic Homeowner

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I would add a shotgun to this equation.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Maybe someone here will know..

I have a situation in which I need to install a single Windows 10 Pro VM on our Hyper-V 2016 cluster (that has 2 hosts). The VM only need to be on one of the hosts and will only ever be used by a single person to run a single niche application that doesn't support Windows Server properly.

How does licensing for this work? Do I just buy a retail 10 license?

I've asked one of VARs and got mixed answers....

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Here, have a super complicated write-up from a Microsoft rep that doesn't actually clear anything up.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Wibla posted:

I would add a shotgun to this equation.

Nope, too tempting.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

stevewm posted:

Maybe someone here will know..

I have a situation in which I need to install a single Windows 10 Pro VM on our Hyper-V 2016 cluster (that has 2 hosts). The VM only need to be on one of the hosts and will only ever be used by a single person to run a single niche application that doesn't support Windows Server properly.

How does licensing for this work? Do I just buy a retail 10 license?

I've asked one of VARs and got mixed answers....

First, get your Windows Licensing certification. Then, research and figure out what license you need. Then, start over from step 1 next year, when Microsoft changes their licensing policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Even MS doesn't know how their licensing works. I'm not entirely sure what your best option is here.