Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Faster LTE sounds great and all but I'm personally never buying another Moto. If only they'd release some loving updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benzoapyrene
Apr 18, 2013
I've got a 6P that is on borrowed time right now. I was holding out for either the Nokia 6 or Moto G6, but the Essential phone is veering into that price range right now.

The PH-1 has better specs (and I use a bluetooth headset so I can handle the lack of headphone port), but both the middling reviews for the camera and the 1-ish extra year of software support for the other two phones are holding me back from buying one straight out.

So, is the PH-1 worth it, or should I keep nursing this 6P until the Nokia and Moto are released?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

benzoapyrene posted:

I've got a 6P that is on borrowed time right now. I was holding out for either the Nokia 6 or Moto G6, but the Essential phone is veering into that price range right now.

The PH-1 has better specs (and I use a bluetooth headset so I can handle the lack of headphone port), but both the middling reviews for the camera and the 1-ish extra year of software support for the other two phones are holding me back from buying one straight out.

So, is the PH-1 worth it, or should I keep nursing this 6P until the Nokia and Moto are released?
Essential has been really good about updating the camera. I'd be surprised if it isn't at least on par with your other two options. In addition, if you're willing to janitor a bit and use the Google Camera app, the output is further improved. The biggest issue, IMO, is that there's no OIS, but I'm not sure if there is on the others.
For the $400 it can be gotten for now, it seems like it's an extremely compelling option. Very solid build quality, consistent updates, and an improved camera. I'd have a hard time believing it's a worse option.

e: Also worthwhile to consider: will Essential even be around in two years to issue updates?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
How has Essential been with the monthly security updates? Has the UX been any smoother since launch or does it still stutter a fair bit?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How has Essential been with the monthly security updates? Has the UX been any smoother since launch or does it still stutter a fair bit?

Currently on 8.1 with April security patches. UX is better but I never noticed anything terrible.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

UK goons: if you buy a Nokia 6 or 7+ in the first month you can claim a free Google Home Mini.

It's effectively a ~£40 discount on the phone if you sell it :)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I think 8.1 introduced a feature to control how smoothly the thing scrolls pages and since then no one has complained about it. Security updates are top of the line, I think they always come out within 24 hours of google pushing them to developers.

The camera really is the weakest part of the phone and they keep trying to eek more performance on it. They already mentioned that they know its the biggest problem in the phone and they've mentioned that V2 of the phone is going to have an improved sensor on it. If they just upgrade that, keep the form factor, screen and updates while maintaining the price low then the PH1 will have a solid niche as a upper mid range phone.

quote:

e: Also worthwhile to consider: will Essential even be around in two years to issue updates?

They mentioned they have another phone in the pipeline so I'm expecting them to have at least another 2 years on them

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 18, 2018

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

benzoapyrene posted:

the 1-ish extra year of software support for the other two phones are holding me back from buying one straight out.

Because this wasn't exactly touched on, I'd be cautious of assuming a newer budget/midrange phone will have longer support than an older flagship, even from a new manufacturer like Essential. Unless I'm mistaken, Moto G5+ is still on Android 7, and has only gotten intermittent security updates (I wanna say quarterly?). Nokia will likely be better, even if just because it's hard to be too much worse than that, but we don't know how many major updates their phones will get either.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

So I've had my Nexus 5X for 1yr and 9mos now, no bootloop yet, but I'm looking at options to replace it in case something happens, or I finally decide I'm tired of it. I'm on Fi, and not interested in paying $500-1000 for a phone, sooo I guess my only choice is the moto x4? I don't know anything about it, so I just compared the spec sheets and it seems its a 5X clone with 50% more RAM and ~1/3rd more compute?
Seems like a reasonable deal I guess? (I got the 5X for $235 on a newegg flash sale that I think someone posted in this thread back then)
Is there any deal breaking dumb things I should know about this phone?

I've always used nexus phones and i don't understand this newfangled android one concept; is there any moto branded nonsense I'm going to deal with on this thing or does it really run vanilla android?

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 18, 2018

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

so apparently the reason why pixel 2s have issues with chromecast is that they dont have an option to keep wifi on when locked and will switch to data when sleeping? wtf

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

bull3964 posted:

Department of Commerce just banned US companies from selling components to ZTE for violating trade sanctions with Iran. So, it's likely going to cripple their flagship phones since they won't be able to buy Snapdragons for them. They will have to be mediatek from here on out.
It's also possible this applies to licensing Android, meaning it's essentially impossible for them to continue to make smartphones.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

peepsalot posted:

So I've had my Nexus 5X for 1yr and 9mos now, no bootloop yet, but I'm looking at options to replace it in case something happens, or I finally decide I'm tired of it. I'm on Fi, and not interested in paying $500-1000 for a phone, sooo I guess my only choice is the moto x4? I don't know anything about it, so I just compared the spec sheets and it seems its a 5X clone with 50% more RAM and ~1/3rd more compute?
Seems like a reasonable deal I guess? (I got the 5X for $235 on a newegg flash sale that I think someone posted in this thread back then)
Is there any deal breaking dumb things I should know about this phone?

I've always used nexus phones and i don't understand this newfangled android one concept; is there any moto branded nonsense I'm going to deal with on this thing or does it really run vanilla android?

I just replaced my 5x with an x4 after it bootlooped, it's great. My only complaint is how loving slick it is, like physically, it's harder to hold onto than the 5x or my old 2015 moto-x with the plastic backs. I'll probably just put a case on it, so problem solved. (Who the gently caress decided to make a non-screen body panel out of loving glass?)

It's literally straight android. Almost everything is exactly where it was on the 5x.

benzoapyrene
Apr 18, 2013

sourdough posted:

Because this wasn't exactly touched on, I'd be cautious of assuming a newer budget/midrange phone will have longer support than an older flagship, even from a new manufacturer like Essential. Unless I'm mistaken, Moto G5+ is still on Android 7, and has only gotten intermittent security updates (I wanna say quarterly?). Nokia will likely be better, even if just because it's hard to be too much worse than that, but we don't know how many major updates their phones will get either.

That's very true. I know that Nokia has promised two years of support due to being part of Android One - for some reason I thought that Essential had also promised 2 years, but I'm probably wrong.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

pissdude posted:

so apparently the reason why pixel 2s have issues with chromecast is that they dont have an option to keep wifi on when locked and will switch to data when sleeping? wtf

Where do people get things like this and how could you possibly believe it? You think everytime someone listens to music on their Pixel 2, they're unavoidably using data? If there's an issue with Chromecast and Pixel, it's obviously not something that far-reaching (fwiw I've never had an issue with casting Netflix or soccer streams to my tv).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

axeil posted:

I just want a phone without shitware that has a headphone jack, why is this so hard!?

It's hard because you're fighting the future, an opponent which has never been defeated.

Mu Zeta posted:

Faster LTE sounds great and all but I'm personally never buying another Moto. If only they'd release some loving updates.

I guess I could see complaining if you're talking about one of their expensive handsets but let's be real, if you bought a G- or E- series, you did so because it was cheap. If you want updates, buy the next phone they make. If you care that much about updates, pay for a phone you know will get updates.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for "My $200 phone isn't supported as well as that $1000 phone!"

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 18, 2018

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

EdEddnEddy posted:

The war on the China phone companies really does suck to. Huawei is making some dang strides in their phones, (And I still loved the Nexus 6P design.) Xiaomi is as well. Hell even Meizu is trying new things that are immensely more interesting than anything Apple is putting out for others to copy. At least LG and HTC did try that 2nd screen on the front thing for a bit, but a full front screen sort of nullifies that where a screen on the back might just be something useful at this point.

It does suck. I want a Huawei P20Pro. It has a top tier camera and top tier battery life. I'd argue that it's a better phone than the Samsung S9 but the American population will never be able to make that determination in our current climate. Which is also somewhat mystifying in a country that prides itself on having a free market. Huawei is large company that has the resources to push it's products here given the opportunity.

That Meizu with the tiny rear screen is also really cool and a genuinely neat hardware addition.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

quote:

People have tried to escape the constant ping of information by developing new behaviors: They stack their phones on top of each other at restaurants and bars to see who will break first 

What the hell

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

LastInLine posted:

It's hard because you're fighting the future, an opponent which has never been defeated.

How the hell is "phones full of shitware without headphone jacks" the future? I still have no clue why every phone manufacturer seemed to jump at getting rid of the headphone jack: a standard connector that works great and has been in use for over 50 years.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

They provide a dongle just leave it attached to the headphones if it's that big a deal or get a bluetooth set like everyone else. Headphone jack is deprecated

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

sourdough posted:

Where do people get things like this and how could you possibly believe it? You think everytime someone listens to music on their Pixel 2, they're unavoidably using data? If there's an issue with Chromecast and Pixel, it's obviously not something that far-reaching (fwiw I've never had an issue with casting Netflix or soccer streams to my tv).

casting isn't the issue. it's the desyncing issue that occurs after (not so) extended periods of actually having something casted onto the chromecast. the controls in-app become unresponsive. can't pause or seek, stop etc. have to completely close and re-open the app and reconnect to the chromecast pressing the button to reconnect to the chromecast and reestablish control. this is not a new problem and it's been happening for a lot of users

https://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/24/google-inexplicably-removed-keep-wifi-sleep-toggle-pixel-2/

scroll to the bottom - "The worst situation though is that of our tipster, Jeff. His Pixel 2 won't keep WiFi on during sleep, so each time his screen goes off, his phone switches to data and starts sipping at his plan without him noticing. Jeff was instructed by support to check the option for keeping Wi-Fi on during sleep, except that he can't because the setting isn't there. For some reason, it seems like his phone came with the wrong default for that option."

i never even considered this until stumbling upon a few posts by pixel 2 owners having issues with chromecast - i did look back at my battery usage and the entry for wifi has been incredibly low on days where i'm home and on wifi all day (usually with the screen locked - i don't use my phone at home much at all). at the same time, my data usage seems inexplicably high for someone that barely even uses my phone when i'm at work - it's not SUPER high or anything but i simply don't use that much data

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

axeil posted:

How the hell is "phones full of shitware without headphone jacks" the future? I still have no clue why every phone manufacturer seemed to jump at getting rid of the headphone jack: a standard connector that works great and has been in use for over 50 years.

it's a point for water and dust ingress, and the space can be used for mAh or a tiny roll of griptape or even one (1) anime.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

pissdude posted:

casting isn't the issue. it's the desyncing issue that occurs after (not so) extended periods of actually having something casted onto the chromecast. the controls in-app become unresponsive. can't pause or seek, stop etc. have to completely close and re-open the app and reconnect to the chromecast pressing the button to reconnect to the chromecast and reestablish control. this is not a new problem and it's been happening for a lot of users

https://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/24/google-inexplicably-removed-keep-wifi-sleep-toggle-pixel-2/

scroll to the bottom - "The worst situation though is that of our tipster, Jeff. His Pixel 2 won't keep WiFi on during sleep, so each time his screen goes off, his phone switches to data and starts sipping at his plan without him noticing. Jeff was instructed by support to check the option for keeping Wi-Fi on during sleep, except that he can't because the setting isn't there. For some reason, it seems like his phone came with the wrong default for that option."

i never even considered this until stumbling upon a few posts by pixel 2 owners having issues with chromecast - i did look back at my battery usage and the entry for wifi has been incredibly low on days where i'm home and on wifi all day (usually with the screen locked - i don't use my phone at home much at all). at the same time, my data usage seems inexplicably high for someone that barely even uses my phone when i'm at work - it's not SUPER high or anything but i simply don't use that much data

I'm just incredibly skeptical. One random "tipster" is reporting this issue? And he didn't do anything else to gently caress up his phone, like custom rom or kernel or app? Again, I'm not sure something as pervasive as "wifi doesn't work with the screen off" would (1) slip through testing and (2) have been reported by one tipster to one Android blog site, and otherwise be unnoticed. I have wifi at work and poor cell signal and listen to music most days, with the last 30 days' data usage at 380 mb for cell and 45 gb for wifi. With how many people are on fairly low data caps, this would be a massively reported problem if it was at all a common problem, right?

Chromecast syncing issues at least seem more reasonable. Is it only certain apps that do that for you? Often Netflix controls will be gone from the notification shade if I've had my phone screen off for a few minutes, but after thr screen is on for like 5 seconds they reappear.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

sourdough posted:

I'm just incredibly skeptical. One random "tipster" is reporting this issue? And he didn't do anything else to gently caress up his phone, like custom rom or kernel or app? Again, I'm not sure something as pervasive as "wifi doesn't work with the screen off" would (1) slip through testing and (2) have been reported by one tipster to one Android blog site, and otherwise be unnoticed. I have wifi at work and poor cell signal and listen to music most days, with the last 30 days' data usage at 380 mb for cell and 45 gb for wifi. With how many people are on fairly low data caps, this would be a massively reported problem if it was at all a common problem, right?

Chromecast syncing issues at least seem more reasonable. Is it only certain apps that do that for you? Often Netflix controls will be gone from the notification shade if I've had my phone screen off for a few minutes, but after thr screen is on for like 5 seconds they reappear.

i understand your skepticism and i think it's not something that's completely binary with regards to the wifi setting. i think especially with project fi phones that they "smart switch" between data/wifi seamlessly constantly based on what's currently better and there's probably some sort of battery optimization algorithm at play that may not be playing nice with remaining synced up during a chromecast casting session? could be something funky with oreo specifically as well. never had this issue for years and i've been using chromecasts literally since day 1

every chromecast app does this for me. i'll get a show or video or spotify playing on my TV, lock my phone and lean back to watch/listen or whatever and when i unlock my phone to change the file or stop/pause/seek etc the controls just dont work at all unless i completely force close the app and reconnect to chromecast as if i'm casting fresh. then it'll force re-sync and the controls will function again

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I use Fi on a Pixel 2 and don't have any of the problems you describe, except on Netflix. But the Netflix issue persists between phones, even to iPhones, so I'm pretty sure that app is just bad. I'm not saying your issue isn't real, but it sounds like an outlier.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Mental Hospitality posted:

It does suck. I want a Huawei P20Pro. It has a top tier camera and top tier battery life. I'd argue that it's a better phone than the Samsung S9 but the American population will never be able to make that determination in our current climate. Which is also somewhat mystifying in a country that prides itself on having a free market. Huawei is large company that has the resources to push it's products here given the opportunity.

That Meizu with the tiny rear screen is also really cool and a genuinely neat hardware addition.

What's interesting about the P20 Pro is the camera guy who made it and its huge Megapixel setup, is the same guy that did the Nokia cameras on the 1020 and 808. Go figure.

I still don't get how Microsoft can go and buy Nokia and complete do nothing with it (Similar to HP and Palm) and when every, single, person in the world that had touched a 1020 wanted a successor and one never came.

Truly baffling.

I bet if the P20 Pro was sold under US carriers it would sell well for an expensive flagship.

The only thing I hope Huawei is doing different than the 6P days is using some stronger metal. The aluminum on the HTC 10 at the time was immensely stronger against scratches than my 6P when going naked.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

axeil posted:

The shitware is because of capitalism. An app maker pays an OEM for their app to be included on their popular device. If you want to avoid shitware then you should buy from the platform owner who in this case is Google because they alone lack the incentive to devalue the platform itself. After all, you aren't the customer, you're the user, and as such access to you is being sold by the OEM to the shitware developer. The system works!

As for the headphone jack, well, keep tilting at windmills while the rest of us use wireless headphones and earbuds. In case you aren't aware, they're like standard headphones except better in every way. You should try some!

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

LastInLine posted:

As for the headphone jack, well, keep tilting at windmills while the rest of us use wireless headphones and earbuds. In case you aren't aware, they're like standard headphones except better in every way. You should try some!

Apparently heavier, more expensive, less reliable and need regular charges (and replacement as the integrated battery wears out) is better in every way, we just didn't realise. Thank God you were here to tell us our opinions are wrong!

I own wireless headphones. I never use them because they're a pain in the rear end. Fortunately my phone has a headphone jack, but I'm a little worried about the lack of available choice when I need to replace it. I don't want to have to carry an extra cable around with me everywhere, especially if it's an expensive cable with a high quality dac in it. If only there was some way such a cable could be built into the phone, that would be pretty futuristic!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

..btt posted:

Apparently heavier, more expensive, less reliable and need regular charges (and replacement as the integrated battery wears out) is better in every way, we just didn't realise. Thank God you were here to tell us our opinions are wrong!

I own wireless headphones. I never use them because they're a pain in the rear end. Fortunately my phone has a headphone jack, but I'm a little worried about the lack of available choice when I need to replace it. I don't want to have to carry an extra cable around with me everywhere, especially if it's an expensive cable with a high quality dac in it. If only there was some way such a cable could be built into the phone, that would be pretty futuristic!

I'm sure lots of horse owners were pretty smug about their transportation relying on common, ubiquitous hay rather than hard to find gasoline a hundred years ago too. Horses were also cheaper, more reliable, and had been in use for centuries.

I wonder how that turned out?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

I'm sure lots of horse owners were pretty smug about their transportation relying on common, ubiquitous hay rather than hard to find gasoline a hundred years ago too. Horses were also cheaper, more reliable, and had been in use for centuries.

I wonder how that turned out?

so in a century you're saying the vice president will gently caress cars

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bluetooth is an annoying protocol, but cables are annoying too. A set of wireless plugs with a lithium battery actually has a longer lifetime, because the cable wears out and you lose sound on one ear sooner or later. I've gradually come around to using only wireless headsets even if my phone has a jack. And because I am a dumb fleshy human, I was quickly conditioned into accepting the things that at first annoyed me. Now I'm used to them and can't remember what it was like before.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ola posted:

Bluetooth is an annoying protocol, but cables are annoying too. A set of wireless plugs with a lithium battery actually has a longer lifetime, because the cable wears out and you lose sound on one ear sooner or later. I've gradually come around to using only wireless headsets even if my phone has a jack. And because I am a dumb fleshy human, I was quickly conditioned into accepting the things that at first annoyed me. Now I'm used to them and can't remember what it was like before.

Same. Well except for my Sony MDR-V6s that I bought in 1986, those are still going strong.

I'm not even saying that there aren't reasons to prefer wired headphones, there are and they make perfect sense (though since I bought my Zolo Liberty+ set I'm a complete convert to wireless), I'm saying that there's no point fighting the future. You won't win and you look dumb trying to.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

Same. Well except for my Sony MDR-V6s that I bought in 1986, those are still going strong.

I'm not even saying that there aren't reasons to prefer wired headphones, there are and they make perfect sense (though since I bought my Zolo Liberty+ set I'm a complete convert to wireless), I'm saying that there's no point fighting the future. You won't win and you look dumb trying to.

You also inevitably yabk your phone out of your pocket by getting the cord caught on your arm or something, shattering the screen and possibly the backplate, or at least gouging up the chassis to hell and back. Assuming you don't pack it in that otterbox case that looks like a VHS cassette.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Ola posted:

I still have various sets of headphones that are >10 years old and still work. No doubt wireless headphones will have failures just as wired headphones do. I haven't owned any battery powered devices that have lasted longer than a couple of years (beyond those that take replacable batteries).

I agree, not having a cable can absolutely be an advantage, but it comes with a number of drawbacks. To say wireless is better in every way is just ridiculous.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Well it's better in the way that matters which is you use it on all future devices.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

LastInLine posted:

I guess I could see complaining if you're talking about one of their expensive handsets but let's be real, if you bought a G- or E- series, you did so because it was cheap. If you want updates, buy the next phone they make. If you care that much about updates, pay for a phone you know will get updates.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for "My $200 phone isn't supported as well as that $1000 phone!"

My G5 was $300. Also, the Nokia 6 is on the Android One program so doesn't that mean updates in step with Google's?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

My G5 was $300. Also, the Nokia 6 is on the Android One program so doesn't that mean updates in step with Google's?

It used to, then Google changed what it meant.

But the new Nokia has been good so far about updates.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who pay $1000 for an easily breakable/losable device when there are a number of great $250-$400 devices. The issue is just being hidden by carrier payments. Especially when they're running stock Android like Moto/Nokia there's no excuse for a lack of updates.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The poor update situation with Motorola phones is clearly a Motorola problem rather than a correctly-priced cheap phone problem, since Nokia doesn't seem to have trouble updating regularly and even Essential, which barely exists, seems to be keeping up well. (For now.)

As for headphone jacks being omitted, if you don't like it just wait a few years til they either come back or til the fad shifts to something even stupider.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

You don't need updates if the manufacturer gets it right the first time

:smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

LastInLine posted:

I own wireless headphones. They suck and are constantly cutting in and out and require me to charge yet another device. They're useful but are not a substitute for a wired connection and don't provide any noticeable increase in quality. That manufacturers have somehow convinced people that their removal is a "feature" is rather sad.