Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

Try GIMP. The interface is kind of horrible, but most of the tools will show the pixel coordinates as you move the cursor around the image. Also free and open source and all that jazz.

Alternatively, free program ImageJ may achieve what you're looking for if you poke around a bit. The interface might be less lovely than GIMP, though admittedly I've never used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The NIH created an image viewer? :psyduck:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

That might just be how it's funded, but it's still weird. I use it a ton at work though, it's great for making measurements on pictures.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
I thought the NIH just did stuff like research funding approvals and health advisories and the like. I figured they might have a block in DC or something but no. They have a vast, absolutely beautiful looking campus in Bethesda. Am I an idiot for not knowing they had an actual research hospital? Or that they are so important? I'm American.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ImageJ is used a lot in microscope imaging. I'm not surprised the NIH is involved with it in some way.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hooah posted:

It's important to have a standard image viewer for medical/scientific imaging, which also handles normal formats. Makes it easier for research teams and doctors to work together.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Kings Of Calabria posted:

I thought the NIH just did stuff like research funding approvals and health advisories and the like. I figured they might have a block in DC or something but no. They have a vast, absolutely beautiful looking campus in Bethesda. Am I an idiot for not knowing they had an actual research hospital? Or that they are so important? I'm American.

Pretty sure all federal medical research funding goes through NIH, not to mention the stuff they do themselves.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

kedo posted:

Transmit does this. Mac only, but it allows you to "mount" an ftp server as a virtual drive.

In Windows and Linux (and I would assume also Mac) you can just put an FTP address into your file browser and copy stuff to and from it like it's any other folder. Just click the address bar

Type in the address (in this case I just typed ftp://192.168.1.4 because that's an address I sometimes use on my home network). And after you enter your username and password in the pop-up, you can just use it like any other folder.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a way to auto-add subscribed channel uploads to my Watch Later list? Or to add to my watch later list based on tags? (Adding them to a playlist instead will also work, as long as I can just click a button after setting it up, and watch everything my 5 or 6 subscribed dudes uploaded when I get home.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
According to polls and your best judgement (not personal preference), who is most likely to win the Republican nomination, the Democrat nomination, and overall?

I know there are entire threads for this in D&D but I'm afraid of posting such a simplistic question. :ohdear: I'm just a European looking for a quick update.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Doctor Malaver posted:

According to polls and your best judgement (not personal preference), who is most likely to win the Republican nomination, the Democrat nomination, and overall?

I know there are entire threads for this in D&D but I'm afraid of posting such a simplistic question. :ohdear: I'm just a European looking for a quick update.

For the noms it's still too early in the race to tell, and which candidate will win depends heavily on who's going against who. The picture gets a lot clearer, generally, around April-May.

Just pray it isn't Trump, whatever else may happen.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Doctor Malaver posted:

I would say Clinton and Rubio will be the nominees. The reason I say Rubio is that Trump and Cruz have supporters that overlap in many ways. I think as more candidates drop out, their supporters will more likely flock to Rubio than the other two. I do agree that it is too early to be sure.

If you want some very good ongoing analysis of poll numbers, http://fivethirtyeight.com/ is run by a guy named Nate Silver who is a statistician has somewhat of a legendary status in terms of predicting elections:

Wikipedia posted:

After Silver successfully called the outcomes in 49 of the 50 states in the 2008 U.S. Presidential election, he was named one of The World's 100 Most Influential People by Time in 2009.[5]

In 2010, the FiveThirtyEight blog was licensed for publication by The New York Times.[6][7] In 2012 and 2013, FiveThirtyEight won Webby Awards as the "Best Political Blog" from the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Doctor Malaver posted:

Clinton vs. Rubio, Clinton wins.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I have this optimistic view that come voting day Trump is going stand there with a shocked look on his face as he learns the vast silent majority didn't and would never vote for a reality TV star.

But you know, an optimist.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

504 posted:

I have this optimistic view that come voting day Trump is going stand there with a shocked look on his face as he learns the vast silent majority didn't and would never vote for a reality TV star.

But you know, an optimist.

Dead men don't vote

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Well, mostly.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I want trump to win because maybe he will be so loving awful that his presidency will be the end of the republican party as it currently exists.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Trump vs Clinton, it is exciting until the very last second where Trump wins and the collective faces of the world start to sink.

Make it happen America!

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

This is great! I guess I can just refresh this page every few weeks.

Fivethirtyeight is a bit too detailed but thanks for that link too.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I am relatively new to SA and what is the point of the Imp Zone? What are its principles? Its ideals?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Deified Data posted:

I am relatively new to SA and what is the point of the Imp Zone? What are its principles? Its ideals?

It's like a domesticated version of YCS, which existed to discuss videogames in a context where regular Games posters would feel intensely uncomfortable and leave.

For YCS this kind of made sense because SA had one community that thrived in and appreciated strict moderation and a bunch of smaller communities that didn't, but those differences (and the total population of SA) have eroded since to the point where it's basically the same thing as Games but for a different, slightly overlapping in-group.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Malaver posted:

This is great! I guess I can just refresh this page every few weeks.

Fivethirtyeight is a bit too detailed but thanks for that link too.

538 is also prone to pseudoscientific junk because Nate Silver thinks he can be a serious data scientist without publishing his models sometimes. Just a heads up.

The best predictor for the election will probably be PredictIt or some similar betting market. This is because the aggregate of forecasts from a large sample is nearly always better than any one individual prediction.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a way to measure how precise a pointing device is? I know people say stuff like "Joysticks require your brain to do calculus, Mouses are only algebra." But I was wondering about what happens when you add in stuff like Mouse Accelerations, Trackballs, and keyboard clits. Is there a way to compare how precise a given device is, or what type of "math" your brain has to do to feel it out?

I've switched to trackball, and I used to suck at FPS games, but now, with Mouse Acceleration on max, I can switch from super fast spin around shooting to really precise "1 pixel snipe" shooting and it feels like it's just a breeze. I could be having a confirmation bias though!

How do you compare these things?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

What page of the SAL Pseudoscience thread should I skip to to find when it was moved from GBS? I like to properly catch up when I follow a thread but these pages of dumb arguments are insufferable.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Cold weather is here and my skin is going all dry and flaky on zones that are exposed to cold when I'm outdoors. Like the backs of my hands and my face, I've been trying to moisturise with vaseline, but I think there's probably something smarter I could be doing? I've got gloves which I'm gonna start wearing but what can I do for my face, I considered a balaclava but I don't wanna scare the poo poo outta people or get the cops called on my rear end. Are there non-threatening face coverings or anything?

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
You need to try a moisturizer instead of Vaseline, that'll protect your face but it won't moisturize like a cream. Also it makes you look all greasy n poo poo. I just go to CVS and get whatever says "formulated for dry skin" and try for something that specifically says face because those don't seem to be as heavy. I work outside all day in New England winters and it's good enough for me. If yours is really bad just ask your dermatologist and they'll hook you up with something.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Turtlicious posted:

Is there a way to compare how precise a given device is

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking but precision measurements for pointing devices are given in "DPI," which means "dots per inch." It basically is a description of how many movement "units" are performed when you move the mouse/ball/touchpad/whatever one inch. It's not necessarily dependent on the type of device so much as it is on how sensitive the sensors are.

Turtlicious posted:

or what type of "math" your brain has to do to feel it out?

The term you're probably looking for is "cognitive load" and I'm going to go with it being possible to measure for different pointing device designs, but it probably hasn't been investigated.

Turtlicious posted:

I've switched to trackball, and I used to suck at FPS games, but now, with Mouse Acceleration on max, I can switch from super fast spin around shooting to really precise "1 pixel snipe" shooting and it feels like it's just a breeze. I could be having a confirmation bias though!

How do you compare these things?

Measure how many hits per headshot attempt you get with them and compare? :shrug:

What trackball do you use? I've been meaning to try one out myself.

Edit: Wikipedia says:

quote:

There seems to be no conclusive evidence from studies performed to determine which type of pointing device works best for most applications.

But does not provide a citation so there's that I guess.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 6, 2016

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mak0rz posted:

What trackball do you use? I've been meaning to try one out myself.

I use the kind where the ball is in the middle, I find my index finger is more precise then my thumb, and I can re-position my hand if I need something super precise.

I use the Kensington Orbit, because it's driver software is really rad. The Logitech marble is slightly cheaper, but it's got 4 buttons, I kind of miss having a mouse click, (but not as much to give up a scroll wheel.)

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Or...trackball+mouse

If I were to upgrade from a 30$ version, I'd get the kensington explert, but the huge track ball might take some adjustment, and what I'm using now took me a few days to get used too already.

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-K6...nsington+Expert

Trackballs aren't super popular so there's like 2 companies that make them, and a lot of the best designs stopped getting made. With that being said, this one has all the features of a mouse, and the trackball isn't using your thumb, if I don't get the Expert I'll upgrade to this.

http://www.amazon.com/ELECOM-finger...trackball+mouse

This one is built like a tank and have plug ins for all sorts of peripherals.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ECHGE3O?psc=1

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 6, 2016

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Is there a decent, cheap 3rd party xbox 360 pad with a good dpad? I live in the UK.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Crankit posted:

Cold weather is here and my skin is going all dry and flaky on zones that are exposed to cold when I'm outdoors. Like the backs of my hands and my face, I've been trying to moisturise with vaseline, but I think there's probably something smarter I could be doing? I've got gloves which I'm gonna start wearing but what can I do for my face, I considered a balaclava but I don't wanna scare the poo poo outta people or get the cops called on my rear end. Are there non-threatening face coverings or anything?

Kings Of Calabria posted:

You need to try a moisturizer instead of Vaseline, that'll protect your face but it won't moisturize like a cream. Also it makes you look all greasy n poo poo. I just go to CVS and get whatever says "formulated for dry skin" and try for something that specifically says face because those don't seem to be as heavy. I work outside all day in New England winters and it's good enough for me. If yours is really bad just ask your dermatologist and they'll hook you up with something.

Get a lotion with lanolin if you're not allergic. It basically supplements the natural oils in your skin.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I need to build a Lost and Found database for work that can be accessed on multiple computers by multiple users throughout a building. The old one was made out of Microsoft Access, but it broke and no one knows enough about Access to fix it. Any suggestions on an online program or some way to use Excel to make this? I'm limited to Microsoft Office 2003.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Poldarn posted:

I need to build a Lost and Found database for work that can be accessed on multiple computers by multiple users throughout a building. The old one was made out of Microsoft Access, but it broke and no one knows enough about Access to fix it. Any suggestions on an online program or some way to use Excel to make this? I'm limited to Microsoft Office 2003.

Is it just for recording what comes in?

Google forms + sheets is probably the stuff you want, unless you mean you can't use ANYTHING but MS Office.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

tuyop posted:

Is it just for recording what comes in?

Google forms + sheets is probably the stuff you want, unless you mean you can't use ANYTHING but MS Office.

I need to record what gets found and then any owner information if it gets picked up, or information of where it gets donated to or thrown out after a few months.

I can't install anything on the work computers, but if IS hasn't blocked a website I can use that.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

bongwizzard posted:

I want trump to win because maybe he will be so loving awful that his presidency will be the end of the republican party as it currently exists.

Not really, Trump is clearly distinct from the GOP establishement.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Poldarn posted:

I need to record what gets found and then any owner information if it gets picked up, or information of where it gets donated to or thrown out after a few months.

I can't install anything on the work computers, but if IS hasn't blocked a website I can use that.

Google Drive runs on a browser so it might work fine. It didn't work on military computers because they stuck with IE 7, but any modern browser can run it.

Yeah, I don't think a google form and sheet will be as complete as MS Access, since you can't pull up a form for a specific item* and record the info, but at the worst you can create an entry with a form and edit the spreadsheet directly to note the extra info per item.

* this may not be true, you might be able to create a form to populate the picked up/donated fields and maybe use a dropdown menu to edit a specific item. So you'd have an in form and an out form.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Is there a decent, cheap 3rd party xbox 360 pad with a good dpad? I live in the UK.

If it's just for beat em ups (making an assumption here, could be super off the mark) get one of the Madkatz fightpads, they can be found for about a tenner. I have one and its great for SF4 etc, and playing megadrive games on steam.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

NonzeroCircle posted:

If it's just for beat em ups (making an assumption here, could be super off the mark) get one of the Madkatz fightpads, they can be found for about a tenner. I have one and its great for SF4 etc, and playing megadrive games on steam.

That;s exactly what I need it for. Where are you seeing them for ten quid?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
That was what I paid (well, £12) for mine new on amazon a few years ago, may have gone up since though

Edit: people are gouging up 50 for them 2nd hand?! Christ . Maybe scope out your local CEX?

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 6, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
When did "adult coloring books" become a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mister Macys posted:

When did "adult coloring books" become a thing?

A few years ago. It's loving stupid though.