Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

rotinaj posted:

And of course according to her, everyone involved is to blame except Ivelisse

Hasn't there also been a history of that? Like going back to 2017 at least? Reminds me a little of Tessa Blanchard, who also keeps having issues and winds up not being invited back to companies.
Sure wrestling is a small world, so there's the chance it just took a dispute with one or two people to poison the well, but I feel like locker room disputes and arguments with coaches following someone around might be a sign that they're the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/MicromanFever/status/1626682560389562368

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I refuse to believe Ivelisse stans exist

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Coolness Averted posted:

Hasn't there also been a history of that? Like going back to 2017 at least? Reminds me a little of Tessa Blanchard, who also keeps having issues and winds up not being invited back to companies.

Tessa is much worse but yeah, Ivelisse is an rear end in a top hat and an inconsistent/mediocre wrestler who blames everyone around her when she hits her ceiling. Jack Evans certainly didn't have anything good to say about her based on their time in Lucha Underground.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The most damning thing ever said about Tessa was when Tony Schiavone was doing a public Q&A and someone asked if Tessa was going to be in AEW and he went 'No' and moved onto the next question as casually as possible.

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021
reddit has truly blessed us today

Cult of Pies fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 18, 2023

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Ahh, "the same tope suicida every week", the betraying sign that this person doesn't really watch, and only sees GIFs.

Does AEW really have that much high flying even? I more associate the average Dynamite match with Strong Style type stuff, really hard striking and rough looking suplexes and throws. If you're watching the Young Bucks or Top Flight then yeah, you'll get that, but even Bryan Danielson does a through the ropes dive.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean even WWE does a decent amount of outside dives these days, when Danielson was Daniel Bryan he did it all the time.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
It's a pretty big tell when someone just declares that any wrestling promotion that isn't WWE is nothing but flips and topes and canadian destroyers.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Drakkel posted:

It's a pretty big tell when someone just declares that any wrestling promotion that isn't WWE is nothing but flips and topes and canadian destroyers.

especially considering how much is done in WWE now. They may as well just refer to any non-old and out of shape wrestlers. Hell Dustin does destroyers!

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Shard posted:

especially considering how much is done in WWE now. They may as well just refer to any non-old and out of shape wrestlers. Hell Dustin does destroyers!

Ricky Morton did a destroyer on Dynamite at some point!!

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Drakkel posted:

Thinking back to that great take in the run-up to Forbidden Door where some intellectual titan dismissed Okada as a flippy gymnast

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

old guys do destroyers because they think its funny

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

last time i watched wwe (which admittedly was years ago) every single commercial break during a match started with a tope/dive to the outside

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Love how they say it's never clear who the face/heel is as if the show doesn't literally have separate entrances

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
Those reddit threads get wild when there's a narrative to push. It's like an angry wasp nest, better not say anything the drones don't like or they'll swarm you

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

mooseinfants posted:

Those reddit threads get wild when there's a narrative to push. It's like an angry wasp nest, better not say anything the drones don't like or they'll swarm you

Wredditors will brigade anyone the instant they say something that doesn't fit with the Wreddit narrative.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
https://twitter.com/Sporticuslive/status/1626770525128122368

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Ah yes, the most trustworthy journalists are the ones that are paid by the companies they report on.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

*2 months after HHH’s father in law steps down due to sexual allegations*

What’s the hardest part about booking a great show???

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016

Cult of Pies posted:

reddit has truly blessed us today

I'm not against the idea that wrestling shows can have a heavy emphasis on storylines and segments etc. outside of just matches. But whenever I've actually sat down and watched the WWF/E the "storyline" is usually that one guy calls another guy a poo poo head, then the other guys comes out and says "no you're the poo poo head" and hits him with his finisher.

Fair fucks if that's what you like but personally I prefer seeing people piledrive each other through tables

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

this kid is nuts posted:

I'm not against the idea that wrestling shows can have a heavy emphasis on storylines and segments etc. outside of just matches. But whenever I've actually sat down and watched the WWF/E the "storyline" is usually that one guy calls another guy a poo poo head, then the other guys comes out and says "no you're the poo poo head" and hits him with his finisher.

Fair fucks if that's what you like but personally I prefer seeing people piledrive each other through tables

AEW also is more than just "matches happening". I'm still a few week behind, but in the Dynamite I finished watching today, there was an altercation between Sonjay Dutt and co. and the Best Friends (post-match), Acclaimed and Gunns banter (no match), Hangman and Renee interview (no match), Adam Cole return promo (no match), JAS interview (post-match), MJF promo (after the Bryan/Bandido match), Soraya/Toni/Shida confrontation (pre-match), Brian Cage/MJF segment (from the MJF/Bryan storyline), Ethan Page/Stokely promo for their upcoming match with Jungle Boy (no match), and Takeshita calling MJF an rear end in a top hat (no match).

And that's in addition to any stuff happening during/around matches (Shida showing up during the Toni/Willow match, or when she appeared in the tag team match the other day, Darby Allin's ongoing storyline etc).

Whenever I see these folks that clearly don't know what they're talking about, it's laughable. Meanwhile, the WWE has such must-see segments as "fat guy gets sprayed with mustard, then is asked to join the models. You wouldn't think the models would want him, cause he's fat!"

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
It is interesting that there's an entire generation of wrestling fans that literally can't fathom why anyone would want to sit down and just watch wrestling by itself, to them those are just the boring bits between the segments. Whenever I've actually watched the show to see what they're talking about I'm always left feeling confused. Maybe I've just happened upon the shittest segments ever, I dunno

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

this kid is nuts posted:

It is interesting that there's an entire generation of wrestling fans that literally can't fathom why anyone would want to sit down and just watch wrestling by itself, to them those are just the boring bits between the segments. Whenever I've actually watched the show to see what they're talking about I'm always left feeling confused. Maybe I've just happened upon the shittest segments ever, I dunno

I think it’s just disingenuousness. If WWE had the superior in ring product they wouldn’t be saying any of this

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

They mustn’t like watching the Premium Live Events as it seems they’ve stripped out any backstage stuff out of those shows to. In the Royal Rumble this year, instead of interviews or packages for feuds, it was just generic “Brock Lesnar is a wrestler” filler videos.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I think it’s just disingenuousness. If WWE had the superior in ring product they wouldn’t be saying any of this

yeah, it's this.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I think some of it is disingenuous, but there are definitely wrestling fans out there who are literally only watching it for the soap opera stories and for who the bell to bell action is just an interruption before the next beat of the story.

Why do you think Russo still has an audience?

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
Maybe it's because the only promotion I've followed for a lengthy period of time was 2010s NJPW, but going back and looking at late 90s WWF really blew my mind in this regard. 2 minute matches where guys run through their spots, then there's some weird betrayal or run-in or someone comes out in a bikini or shits themself and it's over, then the next segment where the same things happen... lots of people remember it fondly so clearly there's a massive audience for it, but hosed if I'll ever understand it

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

I think some of it is disingenuous, but there are definitely wrestling fans out there who are literally only watching it for the soap opera stories and for who the bell to bell action is just an interruption before the next beat of the story.

Why do you think Russo still has an audience?

That audience is stuck in the attitude era and they love the worst parts of it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

this kid is nuts posted:

Maybe it's because the only promotion I've followed for a lengthy period of time was 2010s NJPW, but going back and looking at late 90s WWF really blew my mind in this regard. 2 minute matches where guys run through their spots, then there's some weird betrayal or run-in or someone comes out in a bikini or shits themself and it's over, then the next segment where the same things happen... lots of people remember it fondly so clearly there's a massive audience for it, but hosed if I'll ever understand it

IMO a big part of understanding the late 90s wwf was that its peak was actually a really short time, in hindsight. To my friends it always felt like the match we wanted to see was just out of reach and getting yanked away each time when disrupted by the weird nonsense, which was itself even fun because it was novel and we were in our late teens/early 20s and edgelords. But still, the cool wrestling was what we wanted (or at least what I wanted), and it was just the carrot that kept getting pulled away - once in a while we'd get something rad with Mick Foley or someone else and that would be just enough to keep us coming back. But after a while we got sick of that carrot being pulled away in the same way over and over and we found other things to do, like watch MMA, which just gave us the matches without the loving around.

I don't think my story is unique - the decline in ratings after that era, as I understand, bears it out.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I checked out immediately after Austin turned heel, so yeah.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

D.N. Nation posted:

I checked out immediately after Austin turned heel, so yeah.

And I did before that. My chronology might be messed up but I remember the brand split being a point where I just couldn't give a poo poo anymore

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WrestlePurists continues to be one of the lowkey weirdest accounts

https://twitter.com/wrestlingbubble/status/1626972216037351429

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

CommonShore posted:

And I did before that. My chronology might be messed up but I remember the brand split being a point where I just couldn't give a poo poo anymore

That was after (a week after Mania X8, specifically).

Checking out then was smart too. Just...nothing really going on except for a nostalgia run for Hogan and Brock beating up people in the midcard.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

D.N. Nation posted:

That was after (a week after Mania X8, specifically).

Checking out then was smart too. Just...nothing really going on except for a nostalgia run for Hogan and Brock beating up people in the midcard.

Yeah it's likely that my engagement with WWE dropped around WWE absorbing WCW, and maybe keeping them alive as a second product, and then the brand split was just the coffin nail. I remember there being a not-very-interesting stretch where it seemed like everything was HHH and Shane doing literally everything, and the brand split was like a moment where I thought about checking it out again and just said "nope that's dumb."

I do not remember watching Austin turn heel, so it's probable I was in and out during that era after having had my eyes glued on the screen in like 1998-2000

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The end of the Angle/HHH/Steph love triangle is when most people I know quit watching. There were a few dead cat bounces, like WM 17 and the invasion, but wrestling ceased to be really popular after the summer of 2000.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

He had me with the first sentence and then :rubshands:

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

good insight from u/Paul3H

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Omega threw the first punch