Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Alcove hole, just shorten it to a-hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

DavidAlltheTime posted:

What should I call an alcove in the floor? I want a nicer word than 'hole'.

orgy pit?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DavidAlltheTime posted:

A sunken alcove.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

DavidAlltheTime posted:

The gently caress? Do you have a picture? Because based on the mental image that brings to mind, I want to say "rape dungeon."

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Definitely says more about you than a split level sitting room.

Kringy
Dec 31, 2008
My girlfriend and I were talking about how Korean shows often have cast members that appear in other shows. She used the word "incestuous" for description, but I think there has to be a better word for it... Is there an English word that that means having a characteristic one thing's components freely travel in and out of some other thing?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

How do people with large or even medium-sized hands manage to build computers? I just spent most of my evening last night building a PC for the first time and I found it incredibly fiddly, and I have hands so tiny that people I meet exclaim to me about how tiny they are. I can't imagine how difficult it would have been to try and make this thing if my hands were any bigger than they are.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Organza Quiz posted:

How do people with large or even medium-sized hands manage to build computers? I just spent most of my evening last night building a PC for the first time and I found it incredibly fiddly, and I have hands so tiny that people I meet exclaim to me about how tiny they are. I can't imagine how difficult it would have been to try and make this thing if my hands were any bigger than they are.

My hands are moderately large and I have never had a problem building computers. What exactly are you having trouble with?

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
I can't find a thread for wireless routers in SH/SC or IYG, so hopefully some router nerds lurk this thread:

I'm interested in a wireless AC router. If my max internet speed is 150 Mbps, and I don't plan on doing too much file transferring between devices, will I see a difference between AC1600/AC1750/AC1900? It looks like the only difference is the max throughput of the 2.4ghz band, but they're all still higher than my internet speed. Also, my main devices will be using the 5ghz band, which is a constant 1300 Mbps between the three specs. Just wondering if there's any more differences between those three specs.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Recess

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

bvoid posted:

My hands are moderately large and I have never had a problem building computers. What exactly are you having trouble with?

I'm not still having trouble since it's all set up and installing programs as I type, but I found it pretty difficult to manoeuvre around all these tiny little cables and connecty things and connect them to the right bits of the motherboard while trying not to touch anything I shouldn't. The hardest parts were the very tiny cables for connecting the power and reset buttons etc and trying to turn the cables the right direction to plug into the optical drive. Fiddling with the RAM sticks while most other things were plugged in already was also not fun since there were a bunch of cables in that area that I'd put there to keep them out the way of fans. It just feels like I spent a lot of time working out what angle to approach it from so that I could fit my hand into the right part of the case. Maybe it just takes experience to know how to organise it so that isn't a problem.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Thanatosian posted:

The gently caress? Do you have a picture? Because based on the mental image that brings to mind, I want to say "rape dungeon."

I'm imagining one of those Eastern pits with cushions and stuff.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Thanatosian posted:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kringy posted:

My girlfriend and I were talking about how Korean shows often have cast members that appear in other shows. She used the word "incestuous" for description, but I think there has to be a better word for it... Is there an English word that that means having a characteristic one thing's components freely travel in and out of some other thing?

Well that's how people describe the same situation in American media, incestuous. And the connotation of it being kinda creepy and bad is intended.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Organza Quiz posted:

Maybe it just takes experience to know how to organise it so that isn't a problem.

Yeah, there's really nothing for it except experience and patience. I think a lot of people building computers have done it since they were younger so it doesn't frustrate them as much as someone who's never taken one apart before.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Organza Quiz posted:

I just hand to pull and replace my ram yesterday and I thought the same thing. The first stick was rammed up right next to the cpu fan at I had to use forceps to get it positioned. Felt like I was diffusing a bomb.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

bvoid posted:

I can't find a thread for wireless routers in SH/SC or IYG, so hopefully some router nerds lurk this thread:

I'm interested in a wireless AC router. If my max internet speed is 150 Mbps, and I don't plan on doing too much file transferring between devices, will I see a difference between AC1600/AC1750/AC1900? It looks like the only difference is the max throughput of the 2.4ghz band, but they're all still higher than my internet speed. Also, my main devices will be using the 5ghz band, which is a constant 1300 Mbps between the three specs. Just wondering if there's any more differences between those three specs.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319&perpage=40

Short answer, there may be some signal distance improvements, but no, you won't see faster internet speeds.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm not still having trouble since it's all set up and installing programs as I type, but I found it pretty difficult to manoeuvre around all these tiny little cables and connecty things and connect them to the right bits of the motherboard while trying not to touch anything I shouldn't. The hardest parts were the very tiny cables for connecting the power and reset buttons etc and trying to turn the cables the right direction to plug into the optical drive. Fiddling with the RAM sticks while most other things were plugged in already was also not fun since there were a bunch of cables in that area that I'd put there to keep them out the way of fans. It just feels like I spent a lot of time working out what angle to approach it from so that I could fit my hand into the right part of the case. Maybe it just takes experience to know how to organise it so that isn't a problem.

You don't have to be delicate with computers. Touch whatever you want, bend and flex if need be. Every thing is pretty much slotted or fitted one way so if it doesn't work then it just won't go in.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Organza Quiz posted:

I don't build computers but I have lots of fiddly hobbies (tiny knitting and crochet, pinning very small bugs, making postage stamp-sized art) and the answer is, basically, practice. You can't see through your own fingers so if you're not accustomed to doing something and it's small, your hands and fingers can block your line of sight and make it seem super complicated. Once you're accustomed to doing it, you no longer really need to see - you know by feel and muscle memory what you're doing and where it should be. No matter what size your hands are anything really small and fiddly is going to be difficult at first.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

At what level does capsaicin start doing actual physical damage to your mouth? I guess at all levels it's having a physical effect, but could you eat a pepper so hot it would irritate your mouth so much it would cause more serious problems than just a large amount of pain? Or would you never really experience that kind of damage from eating any kind of pepper?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm not like a huge expert or anything, but one thing I have noticed is that more expensive (like not even "high-end") cases have much better layout and cable management solutions, rounded edges, tolerances, etc, that can help with a lot of the frustration. Doesn't really change what goes where on the motherboard like in your examples, but I can tell you that every time I build a computer I've gone with a slightly better case, and it makes a huge difference each time, getting drastically better. I hated life so much less building in even a $100 case than a $50 case.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

an overdue owl posted:

At what level does capsaicin start doing actual physical damage to your mouth? I guess at all levels it's having a physical effect, but could you eat a pepper so hot it would irritate your mouth so much it would cause more serious problems than just a large amount of pain? Or would you never really experience that kind of damage from eating any kind of pepper?

The capsaicin itself does not cause any physical damage – it tricks your nerves into feeling like they've been burned even though they haven't. However your body reacts to it as if you really have been burned and depending on how severe that reaction is your body can damage itself. For example, with a hot enough pepper your mouth will become inflamed which can result in some tissue damage. Or if you get acid reflux from eating hot peppers and eat them continually, you might eventually do some damage to your esophagus.

So the answer is yes and no – yes, eating capsaicin can do some damage, but no it's not the capsaicin itself doing the damage.

Source: eating lots of hot peppers and half remembered facts from the internet.

e:

uwaeve posted:

I'm not like a huge expert or anything, but one thing I have noticed is that more expensive (like not even "high-end") cases have much better layout and cable management solutions, rounded edges, tolerances, etc, that can help with a lot of the frustration. Doesn't really change what goes where on the motherboard like in your examples, but I can tell you that every time I build a computer I've gone with a slightly better case, and it makes a huge difference each time, getting drastically better. I hated life so much less building in even a $100 case than a $50 case.

In addition to a good case, a precision toolset is hugely helpful as well. Mine has a few sets of tweezers of different sizes which are great for plugging in fiddly small cables where my hands can't reach.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Namarrgon posted:

Perfect! 'Eastern Pit' is just the kind of phrase I was looking for. Thanks!

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

I think they were called conversation pits, or cul de sacs in the seventies.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

ladron posted:

orgy pit?

Turtlicious posted:

A sunken alcove.

Thanatosian posted:

alcyon posted:

I think they were called conversation pits, or cul de sacs in the seventies.

It's actually a smaller, non-human sized shape I'm thinking of. A small depression in the floor, for displaying artworks in a gallery in a sci-fi piece I'm writing.
I took inspiration from Botanical Beach on Vancouver Island where a large shelf of sandstone is pitted and in each recess/floor alcove/conversation pit, there are sea anemones, starfish, & beautiful seaweeds.
I thought it was gallery-esque and wanted to add it to my story.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Is there some place on these forums where someone can educate me on the value of an apparently old wooden surfboard we found?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I'm currently looking for something like the Mathmos space projector that would be available in the US anyone know where I can get something like that?

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 8, 2016

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Flipperwaldt posted:

Is there some place on these forums where someone can educate me on the value of an apparently old wooden surfboard we found?

Take some pictures in good lighting and post them here, chances are good someone who reads this thread is an ascended master of surfboard history.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I'm currently looking for something like the Mathmos space projector that would be available in the US anyone know where I can get something like that?

I don't know, but many digital projectors are cheaper, like this one. Then you could hook it up to any lava lamp animation (or anything else) you wanted.

But if you have your heart set on a projection physical lava lamp device in particular, I can't help you.

dirby fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 9, 2016

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Does anyone know if i have grommet drapes that rest on an electric baseboard is that a fire risk? Just to elaborate, my windows are 77 inches tall, and the only sizes i can find are 84, or 63 that are remotely within my drape length.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 9, 2016

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Yeah that will probably cause a fire.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

UberJumper posted:

Does anyone know if i have grommet drapes that rest on an electric baseboard is that a fire risk? Just to elaborate, my windows are 77 inches tall, and the only sizes i can find are 84, or 63 that are remotely within my drape length.

Depends on how hot the electric baseboard heating can get. Cotton or linen drapes (assuming you didn't spill cooking oil or the like on them) will start to burn somewhere above 470 F. Vinyl based ones will need well over 500 F. Wool ignites at over 800 degrees and polyester or rayon still needs at least 700 F to passively ignite.

So, worry about it only if the electric baseboard gets extremely hot, or if the device is prone to giving off sparks. But then if it's giving off sparks it needs replacement ASAP anyway. And if you're really worried, use artificial fibers or wool in your drapes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

fishmech posted:

Depends on how hot the electric baseboard heating can get. Cotton or linen drapes (assuming you didn't spill cooking oil or the like on them) will start to burn somewhere above 470 F. Vinyl based ones will need well over 500 F. Wool ignites at over 800 degrees and polyester or rayon still needs at least 700 F to passively ignite.

So, worry about it only if the electric baseboard gets extremely hot, or if the device is prone to giving off sparks. But then if it's giving off sparks it needs replacement ASAP anyway. And if you're really worried, use artificial fibers or wool in your drapes.

This is legitimately dangerous advice. Covering up a heater means the heat that will normally be radiated out to the surrounds won't be, meaning it will get much hotter than normal, so looking at how much heat it normally puts out means nothing. This advice will set your house on fire. Don't follow it.

loving hell Fishmech, you're incredibly pedantic but you're not that dumb.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Memento posted:

This is legitimately dangerous advice. Covering up a heater means the heat that will normally be radiated out to the surrounds won't be, meaning it will get much hotter than normal, so looking at how much heat it normally puts out means nothing. This advice will set your house on fire. Don't follow it.

loving hell Fishmech, you're incredibly pedantic but you're not that dumb.

The electric baseboard heater isn't going to get completely covered, and it's extremely unlikely it's gonna get up to temperatures hot enough to start fires just from being covered at all. If you''re worried, get especially high temperature fabrics as previously mentioned. Most systems won't heat up above 300 F when completely covered and left on high.

They're not infinite heat machines, and people routinely have couches or other fabric covered objects right up against them that also "block heat" from getting out, and those things don't catch on fire so long as they're the proper sort of fabric either.

Edit: And the most common cause of fires with drapes and baseboard heaters by far are either an accelerant ending up on the drapes (such as oils or greases), or an electrical problem with starts spitting out sparks or a straight electrical fire, which then catches the drapes.

Simply having drapes go over it is an extremely rare cause of fires, and most commonly happens with very old baseboard systems that do not properly regulate the heat combined with low temperature to catch fire curtains.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 9, 2016

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're worried about burning your home down, probably just don't do it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

If you're worried about burning your home down, probably just don't do it.

Or you know, by the long ones and hem them to give yourself peace of mind.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

syscall girl posted:

Or you know, by the long ones and hem them to give yourself peace of mind.

beaten by a minute but yeah it takes all of 10 minutes with a needle and thread to solve this problem. 20 if you want it to look pretty.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

Enourmo posted:

beaten by a minute but yeah it takes all of 10 minutes with a needle and thread to solve this problem. 20 if you want it to look pretty.

This, and it's not just the drapes on the heater that you have to think about, but the dust on the drapes. Dumb idea having anything constantly on a heat source. Yeah, couches are put near them, but not touching them.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Basically we're talking about your house loving burning down, no reason to take any risks even if "eh, it should be safe".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

tuyop posted:

I think a lot of people building computers have done it since they were younger so it doesn't frustrate them as much as someone who's never taken one apart before.

And a lot of that is because of how incredibly bad it used to be. Compared with some of my older computers, my current one was an absolute breeze because the case was actually designed relatively well and I don't have to cram a whole lot of extra stuff in there (like sound and network cards, floppy/CD drives, etc.).