Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

Chainclaw posted:

I hate painting the hazard stripes, but in the Duncan tutorial he pointed out that you want to add details to help sell the sense of scale. My current Clan Wolf Beta Galaxy feel larger scale due to the hazard stripes compared to the mechs I've painted in other schemes.

Adding something like that to get that sense of scale helps a lot.

The Duncan tutorial I used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HARE4yzVK8k

I don't disagree at all. One other thing I think that hurt here was that the shrub and gravel would be in scale for a space marine or guardsman, but it makes the mech look way too small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm experimenting with including a light tactical truck, wrecked wheeled or tracked vehicle from a failed print or infantryman on 1 out of every 4 bases. Not on every one as that would make it look busy but to sell that scale for the whole lance.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Once more I have hit the "I can't be bothered doing any more" limit on my weird little guys, so the next four are done! Apologies for the photos, I don't have a great setup at the moment

With the rebasing of a couple of minis I painted a year or so ago, this actually completes a Cawdor gang for Necromunda. It's based on the Goonhammer "A Balanced Approach" list.

Bonepicker with reclaimed autopistol and stub gun (x2)
Bonepicker with stub gun, axe

Brethren with Blunderpole (x4)
(That weird green smudge isn't a lightbeam full of dust, it's the reflection of a green box lid in the slightly glossy black background)

Firebrand with Long Rifle, Redemptor Preist with Chainaxe, Deacon with Grenade Launcher
(apologies for all the cat hair on the Redemptor Priest, she's been out of the display case too long)

Group pic!

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 17, 2023

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
How do you guys photograph super shiny minis? I just did a test model for my Emperor's Children 30k army and he looks great in person but he's just so drat shiny that i cannot get a good picture of him. This is the best ive managed

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

the answer is probably diffused lighting

edit: https://expertphotography.com/reflective-surface-photography/

tldr; bounce the source lighting off of something, or, through something. Even a tshirt over the light could work

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Much appreciated

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Direct light is often times too harsh, especially with LED lighting at 5000k or so (white light) as it's a combination of a few colors to trick our eyes in to thinking it's "white", so while you want the luminosity or, the......saturation? of light, you want to spread it out by diffusing it, like setting the garden hose to mist. If there isn't one harsh point of light, but many the reflection is softened. That's also another reason why you should usually have two points of light, like, one above from the front and one below from the back. Outside, the "golden hour" is another similarity to this, due to the angle of the sun doing fun stuff; lighting always from one point is kind of not interesting.

I have this cheap light box from amazon and it's kind of junky but I don't have the space for anything bigger without having to deal with a lot of setup and teardown, and that entire process makes me not want to bother with it at all, so I leave the foldable lightbox assembled in one place, and all I have to do is plug it in, but, it's LEDs, so I covered them with some paper towel over the light strips (they get warm so I wouldn't leave them plugged in long this way...) and it seems to help, but it's too small to do any of that lighting from below, since both lights are on top, it doesn't really give a good range and I find it washes stuff out and I have to unfuck the vibrancy in lightroom. If I had a whole table I could just set up a lightbox "area" then I could get the better lighting I want, and maybe have some interesting texture paper background, maybe some fake black marbling textures, I always enjoy those kind of backdrops.

I suppose I could use a flashlight or other light source, but then I have to deal with the wrong colors coming in; a lot of those are not white light, and will change how the colors look when the light is warmer

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 17, 2023

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I think I'll call my plagueburst crawler finished. I didn't realize how much extra work I gave myself with the conversion and haven't painted anything this big in quite a while but I think it came out ok

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I think I'll call my plagueburst crawler finished. I didn't realize how much extra work I gave myself with the conversion and haven't painted anything this big in quite a while but I think it came out ok

Awwww yeah this is awesome. I love that color scheme and LOL that tongue coming out of the cannon is amazing

AndyElusive posted:

This rules and congrats on painting up such a monumental "miniature".

Hey thanks!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I love the demon or cultist on-a-stick. "Yeah this is my life. I live here now, watching everything happen from up here on this stick."

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
These gaslands cars are pretty fun. I’m gonna have to grab some more hot wheels.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Toebone posted:

These gaslands cars are pretty fun. I’m gonna have to grab some more hot wheels.

I love it

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

AndyElusive posted:

Nicely done.

With that said, I don't know how you guys who paint Nurgle stuff can do it without throwing up in your mouth every couple of hours.

It's causing me mild trypophobia. Like I actually get kind of nauseous looking at that Great Unclean One's back.

Imo plague marines are one of the most fun things to paint because all of the effects are interesting and useful techniques and most paint schemes can be thrown together by just remembering the time you were sickest and just going with that

If it looks fuckin gross you're doing a great job

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I just primed 30 models and im positive i got a poo poo can. The finished texture is grainy causing the iridescent medium to kind of stick to places. Anyone know how to fix this, short of stripping and repriming?

Managed to get a slightly better picture of the centurion with a very rudimentary bounce card set up(thanks greenbuckanneer) and you can see that the dude on the right looks like he just spent all night ay a strip club as opposed to spening all night polishing his armour, like the dude on the left.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone have air compressor recomendations? Working on some maintenance, but I slightly suspect my no name compressor is out paced by pretty much every other option

Edit: weeeee found the problem. Crack in the tank. Grabbing a new one!

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 18, 2023

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone have air compressor recomendations? Working on some maintenance, but I slightly suspect my no name compressor is out paced by pretty much every other option

My Harbor Freight airbrush compressor has been going strong for nearly 10 years.
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-t...-kit-95630.html

edit: just realized that it now comes with an airbrush. The airbrush is probably trash.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The old airbrush+compressor kit from HF came with a half decent airbrush (I've got one, it does the job), but the newer one comes with an apparently really good airbrush, plus an inline pressure regulator and airbrush holder on the compressor. It's well worth the $120 asking price.

Also, everyone who gives half a poo poo about airbrushing should be subscribed to Barbatos Rex on YouTube, dude does reviews of drat near everything and he seems to know his poo poo. He gave the new HF kit a really positive review, some time last year.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So, I have upgraded my lightbox to include an overpriced turntable (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0VUDAC) for spinning my miniatures around, and now instead of pictures, I take video of my dudes. My iPhone Xr though is really not cutting it for video quality, and so I was wondering what you all might recommend that would be a good digital camcorder?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Ez8 posted:

My Harbor Freight airbrush compressor has been going strong for nearly 10 years.
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-t...-kit-95630.html

edit: just realized that it now comes with an airbrush. The airbrush is probably trash.

My compressor looks exactly the same except blue. In fact, almost every airbrush compressor I've seen looks exactly like that. I'm pretty sure there is one factory in China cranking these out and they get branded for different companies.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Geisladisk posted:

My compressor looks exactly the same except blue. In fact, almost every airbrush compressor I've seen looks exactly like that. I'm pretty sure there is one factory in China cranking these out and they get branded for different companies.

According to the guy from Badger (Ken?) that's exactly the case. They're so cheap and good enough that there's no reason to manufacture your own compressors.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I think there's a couple of brands that have a line of "silent" compressors but yeah otherwise they're all pretty much the same.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Silentaire makes the quietest compressor I'm aware of, the Super Silent 20A. You will pay for the privilege of that level of quiet though. And despite it's extremely low noise level, it's an older style of compressor, so you will need to change the oil from time to time, and replace the water trap filter.

I was going to recommend the Iwata range of compressors, but just looking at them now, the prices have gone WAY up. I have their Power Jet Pro, and it's an amazing compressor. Quiet, steady air pressure, oil-less and filter-less, a real workhorse. But I got mine 10 years ago, and it was basically half of what it costs now. It was a deal at that price, not so much now. The Silentaire model used to be considered very expensive, but it's price has remained pretty much the same this entire time. So for the same price as the Iwata, you could get a Silentaire that is quiet enough you could probably use it in the same room as a sleeping person.

If you've got the money, go for Iwata for hassle free use at quiet, but not silent noise levels, or go Silentaire if you want as close to silent as you're going to get, with a bit more upkeep to keep the unit in tip-top shape.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

So, I have upgraded my lightbox to include an overpriced turntable (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0VUDAC) for spinning my miniatures around, and now instead of pictures, I take video of my dudes. My iPhone Xr though is really not cutting it for video quality, and so I was wondering what you all might recommend that would be a good digital camcorder?

Seconding this, while my old rear end Galaxy S10 has primo picture quality it just isn't cutting it on the video side of things.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Welp, just found out why I always seem to strip undercoats while doing oil washes... I was using turpentine to thin/clean up as opposed to white spirits. Did not think there was that much difference in the solvents, and this artist's odorless turpentine seemed like the mild choice.

Living and learning, I just hope I havent accidentally permanently sealed the doors on the gallowdark terrain with this wash...

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ohh that sucks. I just use Gamsol cause I live with someone with a very sensitive nose and also two cats so the mildest possible thinner seemed like the best choice despite the price.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I use gamsol and it smells bad enough lol (maybe I have a sensitive nose also).

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Mona Lisa mineral spirits at least don't stink until I wash things. Can't smell a thing from them while I'm using them.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

tangy yet delightful posted:

I literally cannot smell it lol

I spilled some on my mat and still didn't smell anything but they were across the entire apartment and yelled is that paint thinner

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Eej posted:

I literally cannot smell it lol

I spilled some on my mat and still didn't smell anything but they were across the entire apartment and yelled is that paint thinner

Ok so mea culpa, I just went and huffed some things. For some reason I was mistaking that tamiya extra thin cement smells bad with gamsol mineral spirits which don't smell bad or of anything.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

I'm not allowed to own any in the house lol

Apparently she says she's allergic to it, in other related smells chat, I don't mind the smell of tamiya cement or wd40

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Apparently she says she's allergic to it, in other related smells chat, I don't mind the smell of tamiya cement or wd40

Permatex gasket sealer is also great.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Ez8 posted:

Permatex gasket sealer is also great.

Suddenly a lot of this thread makes way more sense.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

My bottle of Desert Tan Vallejo Surface Primer has a real candy-like smell to it, even when just brushing it on - I can only liken it to the scent of the candy sticks in things like Fun Dip or I guess candy cigarettes. None of my other Vallejo primers have that kind of smell.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Weber odorless turpenoid is both odorless and has yet to strip any of my acrylic varnishes, let alone a paint. It'll leave some strange spots that look like tide marks if the varnish hasn't had a few days to cure, but that's mostly just moisture getting reintroduced to the mix and not anything actually getting shredded or discoloring.

That said, just because it's not stinky doesn't mean it's not volatile, so you still need to wear a mask.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

NinjaDebugger posted:

Suddenly a lot of this thread makes way more sense.

I'm not saying to huff it, that would be bad, obviously, I'm just saying, like, you get the whiff of wd40 as you spray your bike chains, and it smells nice and then you move on, and just think to yourself "ah that smell was nice" and go about your day.

edit: google claims it is because it has vanillin in it, which is also in some perfumes. There could be similar chemicals in some of the stuff we work with

edit2: I finally got around to using my Scale75 Fluor and apparently they're in a glaze-ready state, extremely thin, which isn't quite what I was expecting after watching the videos on the kickstarter, where someone was laying down one coat. I go to put this red down, thinking it would do the same thing and imagine thinned down red over black and, I'm not spending two hours working my way up to that vibrancy of red lmao

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 19, 2023

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

edit2: I finally got around to using my Scale75 Fluor and apparently they're in a glaze-ready state, extremely thin, which isn't quite what I was expecting after watching the videos on the kickstarter, where someone was laying down one coat. I go to put this red down, thinking it would do the same thing and imagine thinned down red over black and, I'm not spending two hours working my way up to that vibrancy of red lmao

I think that's every fluorescent paint, they're all better for airbrush application than anything else. That's the third brand I've heard of that comes like that, and only one of 'em is labeled as airbrush paint.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Need some help. I painted this figures pants and I can't see it as anything but jeans.

And I have no idea what color the pants SHOULD be...

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Desfore posted:

I'm considering picking up the Death Guard Boarding Party box thing, but I hate the green & dirty white color schemes the majority of people paint DG in. Anyone have good recommendations or pics of alternative DG paint schemes? Bonus if they don't go super heavy on the rust & weathering, cause.... I'm too lazy for all that.

I've been going baby blue with mine, can't say I've gone light on the weathering and gore though. Theyve also been pretty heavily modified

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cthulu Carl posted:

Need some help. I painted this figures pants and I can't see it as anything but jeans.

And I have no idea what color the pants SHOULD be...

Well an aviator jacket and jeans is a classic combo so you don't really need to change anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Eej posted:

Well an aviator jacket and jeans is a classic combo so you don't really need to change anything

That's a fair point - she IS supposed to be the pilot in this crew anyway...