Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
back from a week vacation with a new, revitalized apathy for my work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bee posted:

Thanks, it certainly feels that way <3

I sent the email to the leadership team and made it as bland as possible, basically a slightly longer version of "today is my last day, thanks for the opportunity to work and learn here, good luck to you in the future" and only the IT manager, who has always been kind to me given our shared love of nerdy poo poo, replied to wish me goodbye and good luck.

Kinda says a lot, really. I'll consider it to be a bullet dodged, and hopefully poach the imo underpaid IT manager for my partner's start up sometime later in the year. :boom:

You've done well. Remember: you got put in this position. You were set up to fail, you had no way to know that, this is not on you. Just take this as experience and information and move on without regret or concern.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

big trivia FAIL posted:

When I started my current gig 5 years ago I negotiated 4 weeks vacation instead of the standard 2 weeks. Somehow it got input wrong (4+2) to 6 weeks at start. I've never said a word about it and no one else has either, and I just got my 5 year +1 week, so now I get 7 weeks. I report to an SVP that literally does not care when/if/how long you take PTO. Feels good man.
Amazing

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Oh my lord, I’ve started some work with a pretty large consultancy and the amount of jargon they use is unbelievable. How does anything get done.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

bee posted:

Thanks, it certainly feels that way <3

I sent the email to the leadership team and made it as bland as possible, basically a slightly longer version of "today is my last day, thanks for the opportunity to work and learn here, good luck to you in the future" and only the IT manager, who has always been kind to me given our shared love of nerdy poo poo, replied to wish me goodbye and good luck.

Kinda says a lot, really. I'll consider it to be a bullet dodged, and hopefully poach the imo underpaid IT manager for my partner's start up sometime later in the year. :boom:

Revenge is a dish best served by poaching one of their employees at your next opportunity.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dugong posted:

Oh my lord, I’ve started some work with a pretty large consultancy and the amount of jargon they use is unbelievable. How does anything get done.

ALIS for the F-35 is red on CPI and SPI. We're tracking programmatic risks and issues to return to the rebaselined critical path and are carrying out our risk mitigation plan.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Nothing good has ever started with "We have reinvented..."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sundae posted:

Nothing good has ever started with "We have reinvented..."

(A) they are being teleported to your house now
(B) someone designed a new form

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
I assume they now dock your pay when you request a loaner.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The loaner computer now requires regular blood transfusions to remain functional

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nah, we just finally got the Smart Lockers a) installed and b) working. Being able to get a loaner without having to negotiate with my ex-boss is a huge step up in service levels.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I sure do love early morning 1x1s with my manager that are scheduled at 11PM the night before...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm not sure whether to cry or scream. Added a new indicator in a report I produce indicating that the highlighted item also appears in a previous version of the software. I added a note before each table explaining that this highlight means it appeared in a previous version.

I provide the report to the Teams channel, and at 9:30AM today, had someone ask what the highlights meant. Ok, that's fine. One question, maybe they missed the note. No big deal. Point it out and move on.

Six hours later I am asked the exact same question by someone else. The original answer has not even scrolled off the screen.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I’m working on nine proposals right now and I want to die.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

remigious posted:

Assuming they're federal, see ya in September, bud.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!

Warmachine posted:

Six hours later I am asked the exact same question by someone else. The original answer has not even scrolled off the screen.

Screen capture the chat window, highlight where you already answered, and paste that back into the chat.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Had a conversation with another firm today. They pay a lot more than I expected them to, even considering this would be a promotion. That was unexpected. Glad it was a phone call without video cuz my poker face was a bit broken on that one. I held firm to the “don’t say a number first” because I don’t want to leave money on the table but ...

Salaries for professional services are beyond stupid.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Jordan7hm posted:

Had a conversation with another firm today. They pay a lot more than I expected them to, even considering this would be a promotion. That was unexpected. Glad it was a phone call without video cuz my poker face was a bit broken on that one. I held firm to the “don’t say a number first” because I don’t want to leave money on the table but ...

This but Tech for me. I moved from consulting into tech and my eyes were saucers when I got the verbal offer details. Glad we were still only doing phone calls back then lol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

remigious posted:

I took part in interviewing an associate professor who had been rejected six times for his very good proposals, I mean proposals which in any sane world would have been approved automatically.

Anyway after the interview the head of the section said: “I hope he gets money next time or he might quit to work in the private sector!”

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jordan7hm posted:

I took a recruiting call for a lateral/slight step back at a bigger consulting firm I don't want to work for to benchmark my comp package more than anything else, threw out a base and bonus number that was about 2x my current comp, and they were like yeah that works :stare:

don't want the job for culture / responsibility / work life balance / etc reasons but drat

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Going back to the PTO payout discussion - has anyone gotten accumulated PTO payouts if you quit/voluntarily resign or have you only gotten it for layoffs/termed for no cause?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MJP posted:

Going back to the PTO payout discussion - has anyone gotten accumulated PTO payouts if you quit/voluntarily resign or have you only gotten it for layoffs/termed for no cause?

Yeah I got about 6 weeks of PTO paid out on my final paycheck when I quit a job a few years back

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

We hired someone to take over the forecasting for the company a month ago so naturally I am devoting more of my time to the forecast than ever.

Re: PTO chat, PTO has always accrued at my company over the course of the year but it's just been formalized and is actually being enforced and tracked to the second now. Also they explicitly wrote into our new Employee Handbook that (a) accrued PTO will not be paid out if you leave the company (but you will be expected to 'pay back' PTO you took if you have a negative balance at that time) and (b) you're not allowed to take PTO during your notice period. I'm guessing there was an Incident with someone who got fired last year.

(I'm also guessing some of this isn't 100% legal but lol)

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I got about a month of PTO paid out when I jumped ship back in 2018.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Boiled Water posted:

I took part in interviewing an associate professor who had been rejected six times for his very good proposals, I mean proposals which in any sane world would have been approved automatically.

Anyway after the interview the head of the section said: “I hope he gets money next time or he might quit to work in the private sector!”

That is depressing. But in my field 99% of bids just come down to price anyway. I still do my best of course, just mindful that the evaluator is going to flip straight to the pricing pages.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

Some states they have to pay out, regardless (California, for instance). When I left my job a few months ago for greener pastures, I got paid out.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Thanatosian posted:

Some states they have to pay out, regardless (California, for instance). When I left my job a few months ago for greener pastures, I got paid out.

I had an employer threaten not paying out accrued vacation because I gave them a week and a half instead of two weeks notice. They ended up paying so no idea on the legality, this was in DC.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
PTO payouts will vary by local laws and the company's policies. There is no US federal requirement.

Heres more info: https://www.paycor.com/resource-center/articles/pto-payout-laws-by-state/

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

Warmachine posted:

I'm not sure whether to cry or scream. Added a new indicator in a report I produce indicating that the highlighted item also appears in a previous version of the software. I added a note before each table explaining that this highlight means it appeared in a previous version.

I provide the report to the Teams channel, and at 9:30AM today, had someone ask what the highlights meant. Ok, that's fine. One question, maybe they missed the note. No big deal. Point it out and move on.

I see this a lot and I am convinced it is a clueless team member trying to act like they're in the loop by mimicking others.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I ended up taking my PTO over my last 2 weeks at my first job by basically paring off an hour here and there, more over time, until my last day when the team went out for lunch together and I just went home after instead of back to the office (since I used PTO for half of the last day)

Honestly I really enjoyed that one.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Literally can't make this up. I knew I was probably not going to get this transfer due to being the last guy on our technology, and it'd be to a different team under the same VP. I'd already talked to the prospective boss about it. VP "promised" he'd keep it open for two months, but I didn't believe that from the moment he said it. This was naught but a week.

And it's legitimate. There's no links, the headers are correct, and it is presented with identifying details redacted.

I would have been totally fine with the rejection - it would have been a surprise if it was left on hold or approved - but this sure as hell is a gut-punch way to go about delivering the news.

This is why I'm wondering about PTO payouts when you voluntarily quit.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

gwarm01 posted:

I see this a lot and I am convinced it is a clueless team member trying to act like they're in the loop by mimicking others.

I mean you could at least do yourself the courtesy of picking a different thing to ask about. There were plenty of things in the report that have more in-depth explanations beyond the one-sentence summary presented in the document.

If you're going to try and bullshit people, you should at least try to look smart and observant. I should know, I bullshit a lot. You can't con a con man.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

MJP posted:

Literally can't make this up. I knew I was probably not going to get this transfer due to being the last guy on our technology, and it'd be to a different team under the same VP. I'd already talked to the prospective boss about it. VP "promised" he'd keep it open for two months, but I didn't believe that from the moment he said it. This was naught but a week.

And it's legitimate. There's no links, the headers are correct, and it is presented with identifying details redacted.

I would have been totally fine with the rejection - it would have been a surprise if it was left on hold or approved - but this sure as hell is a gut-punch way to go about delivering the news.

This is why I'm wondering about PTO payouts when you voluntarily quit.

For an internal role I'd think they'd have the decision maker talk to you in person and maybe talk about what you can do to be a better fit next time.

Is that what you were expecting or are you mad they didnt yank your chain for 2 months and then reject you?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

It looks like a form rejection email where they forgot to include the details, keeping the placeholder text instead (i.e. '[*JOBTITLE*]' and '[*FORENAME*]')

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Omne posted:

It looks like a form rejection email where they forgot to include the details, keeping the placeholder text instead (i.e. '[*JOBTITLE*]' and '[*FORENAME*]')

... I think that's the point?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CarForumPoster posted:

For an internal role I'd think they'd have the decision maker talk to you in person and maybe talk about what you can do to be a better fit next time.

Is that what you were expecting or are you mad they didnt yank your chain for 2 months and then reject you?

I'm mad that it doesn't even ensure the basic dignity of putting my dang name in there.

I work for a giant global megacorp. I didn't expect a personal rejection from the decision maker. I'd already talked with them about the situation, and I knew that my co-worker quitting put things into a bad place. The transfer boss needed someone months ago when I applied, megacorp standard slowness and interview process went slowly as it always does. I was prepared for a rejection. I wasn't prepared for a total nail-in-the-coffin-on-the-illusion-of-dignity situation like this.

It's very much a "I'm not mad, just disappointed" feeling for sure, although it's still kinda hilarious. I'm laughing too much to be angry about it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Volmarias posted:

... I think that's the point?

I think Omne was clarifying for CFP that the problem wasn't the rejection. It was that they didn't even bother to fill out the template. Which yeah. Not getting a position is disappointing. The hiring team not even bothering to reject you properly is insulting.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Warmachine posted:

I think Omne was clarifying for CFP that the problem wasn't the rejection. It was that they didn't even bother to fill out the template. Which yeah. Not getting a position is disappointing. The hiring team not even bothering to reject you properly is insulting.

Yup, this

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you're going to work for a large company your sanity requires that you make your peace early in your career with the fact that to your boss's boss you're nothing more than a faceless interchangeable cog in the machine, and no one above that level is even aware you exist. Having a strong need for personal validation is going to give you a real bad time in the corporate environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Warmachine posted:

Oh it gets even BETTER!

Me: Hi HR Contact Jane, could you confirm that this is for %transferjob%? (Forwards the email)
Jane (absolutely verbatim, names changed): Hi MJP, yes- I am meeting with Transferboss early next week and will provide you with an update
Me (verbatim): Sorry, let me rephrase: the forwarded email looks like a rejection for the role. There’s an identical rejection in my HRSystem inbox. Since it doesn’t mention my name or the role, I assume this is a rejection for R-12345. Can you please confirm if this is indeed a rejection for that role? I understand if that’s the case, I’d just like to confirm since the email form is missing fields.

The fun fact here is that the same person's name and profile photo are on the HRSystem item that has my rejection, which is the exact same details - unfilled form fields and all.

With this, I now understand how to truly give no fucks about working, for that is how many fucks they give me. This may be the first time in my career where I do the "I quit, effective immediately, bye" thing as soon as I get an offer elsewhere and that quarter's ESPP stock is issued.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you're going to work for a large company your sanity requires that you make your peace early in your career with the fact that to your boss's boss you're nothing more than a faceless interchangeable cog in the machine, and no one above that level is even aware you exist. Having a strong need for personal validation is going to give you a real bad time in the corporate environment.

Oh yeah, I made my peace with that plenty of time ago. The form letter just kinda was a stunning display of incompetence that lay bare the cog-ness. It was surprisingly honest, in the vein of the true and honest nature of things.

MJP fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 30, 2021