Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I have a 2018 M2 and took it in to the dealer for an oil change and the key fob gets like, hooked up to the computer and it’s saying I need new spark plugs? Car has 6400 miles on it, and I guess it is 5 years old but does that make sense? Car isn’t throwing any codes.

And if so, should I replace the coils while they do the plugs? Since it’s a nominal amount of extra labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That seems early for spark plugs, like 40k miles early.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Cojawfee posted:

That seems early for spark plugs, like 40k miles early.

Yeah, I thought so too, but the tech showed me the computer and it did show a warning and recommended changing the plugs.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

TheBacon posted:

For all that trouble, better off just spending more on the donor engine and getting an s54 imo

I want to put an s54 into a miata, tbh

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
put an s54 into an e46 m3 imho

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I parked next to an E92 M3 yesterday and heard it start up… drat I miss that sound.

Also, practicality is a mindset.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I parked next to an E92 M3 yesterday and heard it start up… drat I miss that sound.

Also, practicality is a mindset.

https://vimeo.com/124855824

Love the Exige cargo area!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Keyser_Soze posted:

how much :homebrew: to make that E46 325 a 330?

On a similar theme, is there a cost effective way to get more power out of the N52? I watched a 15 minute "building a 335i E91" video and that seemed like a ton of special effort in addition to needing to find a donor engine.

Not that in any financial place to do anything further to the thing this year or probably even next [other than maintenance], but I do want to keep this car long-term and I'm keeping "in another 5+ years / 50K miles, what to do" in the back of my mind.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Sab669 posted:

On a similar theme, is there a cost effective way to get more power out of the N52? I watched a 15 minute "building a 335i E91" video and that seemed like a ton of special effort in addition to needing to find a donor engine.

Not that in any financial place to do anything further to the thing this year or probably even next [other than maintenance], but I do want to keep this car long-term and I'm keeping "in another 5+ years / 50K miles, what to do" in the back of my mind.

3SIM + intake + tune is like a very mild power increase, the next level up from that is like supercharger kit which I think a couple options exist

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

TheBacon posted:

3SIM + intake + tune is like a very mild power increase, the next level up from that is like supercharger kit which I think a couple options exist

11617559523 Intake Manifold
11617559530 Vent Hose
11617579114 Adjustor Unit
11617560538 Adjustor Unit 2
11617547242 Gasket set
11617535850 x2 Screw 50x35
11617535849 x5 Screw 50x20
11617535851 x1 Screw 50x66
13547522361 throttle body seal ring

I still have the parts list handy. It'll take the car from ~230hp to ~260. It's not a bad price for HP, but it's definitely better if you can get good condition used parts vs all brand new. I'm not sure who the tune options are now, I did Active Autowerke twice.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I was interested in doing that until I read that it introduces throttle delay, which kind of defeats the purpose of an NA engine. Not sure how much truth there is to this.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
does anyone have opinions on exhaust "upgrades" for the e39 m5?

i don't get much highway mileage but i don't want too much of a drone.

i'm tempted to do the muffler delete but i heard that can be very obnoxious. i'd like it to be at least a li'l obnoxious, let the s62 sing a bit, but i don't want to be "that guy" in the neighborhood either

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I was interested in doing that until I read that it introduces throttle delay, which kind of defeats the purpose of an NA engine. Not sure how much truth there is to this.

I hadn't read this, though I last did the swap like 7 years ago. And I don't recall there being delay, I recall it being the same as before? When going to an N55 I definitely noticed the in boost vs out of boost behavior.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

the milk machine posted:

i'm tempted to do the muffler delete but i heard that can be very obnoxious. i'd like it to be at least a li'l obnoxious, let the s62 sing a bit, but i don't want to be "that guy" in the neighborhood either

A buddy of mine has a decent one on his, I’ll ask him. I’m still running fully stock.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Alarbus posted:

I hadn't read this, though I last did the swap like 7 years ago. And I don't recall there being delay, I recall it being the same as before? When going to an N55 I definitely noticed the in boost vs out of boost behavior.
I would love for this to be bullshit. I was veeeery close to pulling the trigger on it

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

loving hell that makes me want another E90 manual.

Coming from the Giulia QV it’s hard to say if I’d need a supercharger on an S65 if I went back. I wish the stroker kits weren’t so drat expensive.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I do like this lil thing. Manual sport seats kind of own, but not even bluetooth on the head unit means I’ll probably replace it soon, luckily a gas station had an aux and a knockoff lightning to aux adapter

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Red interior is a nice choice, I've always been a fan of that. Sweet car.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If those have the USB/3.5mm jack in the armrest console like the E9x's do, I've got something like this that works pretty well: https://www.amazon.com/Firefly-Bluetooth-Receiver-Smallest-Streaming/dp/B01HDO66NK

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I have that exact thing in my E82. I don't remember if the built in USB provides enough power or not, but I already had a cigarette lighter to USB charger thing there, so I have the firefly plugged into that and then it goes into the aux port. So now I walk to my car with my ear buds in, get in the car, turn it on, and my phone automatically switches to the firefly and plays whatever through the car speakers.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheBacon posted:

I do like this lil thing. Manual sport seats kind of own, but not even bluetooth on the head unit means I’ll probably replace it soon, luckily a gas station had an aux and a knockoff lightning to aux adapter

That's nice. Would commute in that all day.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
dipshit lil' spoiled teenage chud down the street got what looks like a very clean 04 330Ci ZHP and then immediately put big huge RIMZ on and slammed it. :jerkbag:

I should rescue that poor car

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I have that same fire/tuna adapter in my E91. It works well enough for automatically connecting to Bluetooth audio and is tidy in the console. I wish the steering wheel controls still worked with it but I think that may have some with a usb port update in 2011 (?).

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

the milk machine posted:

One of these days I’m gonna take the time to make a muffler delete for mine, will keep the mufflers for when I need to be classy. I will price it out and I could make two if you’re down. Prob would make it with Chevy bowtie tips or something tho gotta keep the purists uncomfortable.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ether Frenzy posted:

If those have the USB/3.5mm jack in the armrest console like the E9x's do, I've got something like this that works pretty well: https://www.amazon.com/Firefly-Bluetooth-Receiver-Smallest-Streaming/dp/B01HDO66NK

Oh man this looks neat and a very cheap solution in the meantime! Hell ya

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Big Taint posted:

One of these days I’m gonna take the time to make a muffler delete for mine, will keep the mufflers for when I need to be classy. I will price it out and I could make two if you’re down. Prob would make it with Chevy bowtie tips or something tho gotta keep the purists uncomfortable.

lmao this sounds pretty awesome actually

muffler delete seems like the way to go i've just never been able to hear one in person and youtube exhaust comparison videos are hilariously bad

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

the milk machine posted:

lmao this sounds pretty awesome actually

muffler delete seems like the way to go i've just never been able to hear one in person and youtube exhaust comparison videos are hilariously bad

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hDRSvczuXoqkKAcy7

Not a comparison but it sounds amazing and not like ‘call the police’ loud.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Sab669 posted:

This has been largely covered but I'll chime in. I'm LOVING my n52 these days.

- 3SIM & Bimmerlabs tune
- xDelete
- Non runflat tires (seriously, the weight change is the 3SIM all over again)
- MILVs - these liven the motor up significantly. The ECU will remap itself or you can spend on a tune. I'm still running 330/bimmerlabs
- Silicon intake boot

These will all increase the butt dyno and performance of the car. After that, other things like:

- Eurobox - it's the best box, I've had all three and the only reason I keep the BMW performance box is the carbon fiber snorkel and gucci factor
- Lighter wheels - OEM wheels are heavy, you will notice material agility increases with lighter wheels
- n54 swap - this would be a fun project, but would take the car from being. reliable daily to a project car for me. I'd rather build a n52 or m96 over time.

After that you're into objective tradeoff land. For a daily, I don't see a reason to go further. It's a REALLY fun manual rear wheel drive car with a lively and engaging engine.

Out on the horizon, maybe the hyde roots style charger if it ever releases. For my own purposes I simply purchased a 986 S for more speed.

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 24, 2023

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

lol no

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thanks for your input but could you be more specific?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
The 3SIM doesn't introduce throttle lag.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
It's a fancy variable length intake manifold. Lots of manufacturers had their own versions before turbos took over. If anything, there's a slight blip where it changes from long to short, about mid rpm range. There's no throttle lag because it doesn't affect the throttle. It's changing the airflow pattern from intake to engine. My understanding is that a long intake is good at startup, and a short is good at high rpm, which is why bastardizing the N54 manifold onto the N52 works where you're ringing it out for something like a road course. Or ITBs.

This is why I think a 2002 with an N52 with short/open intake would be hilarious, screaming around a track on short fat tires.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Wonderllama posted:

I have a 2018 M2 and took it in to the dealer for an oil change and the key fob gets like, hooked up to the computer and it’s saying I need new spark plugs? Car has 6400 miles on it, and I guess it is 5 years old but does that make sense? Car isn’t throwing any codes.

And if so, should I replace the coils while they do the plugs? Since it’s a nominal amount of extra labor.

Service manual for the S55 says it gets plugs every 3rd oil change, whether by mileage or the annual interval. An early MY18 with a production date in 17 would be coming up on its 6th annual oil change this year and be due.

That said, 3 OCI is nominally 30K miles, so I doubt your plugs are anywhere near spent.

There is no need to change the coils until you get a code.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Alarbus posted:

It's a fancy variable length intake manifold. Lots of manufacturers had their own versions before turbos took over. If anything, there's a slight blip where it changes from long to short, about mid rpm range. There's no throttle lag because it doesn't affect the throttle. It's changing the airflow pattern from intake to engine. My understanding is that a long intake is good at startup, and a short is good at high rpm, which is why bastardizing the N54 manifold onto the N52 works where you're ringing it out for something like a road course. Or ITBs.

This is why I think a 2002 with an N52 with short/open intake would be hilarious, screaming around a track on short fat tires.

N52 or S54 would be just lovely.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Idk if the bovee bluetooth thing works different, but it plugs into the same usb + aux sockets, and appears as an "iPod" on the stock stereo, the steering wheel controls work for vol and skip.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Edit: From more reading, Ista seems good even if there is a learning curve so ordered the required cable included in an Inpa kit.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 24, 2023

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Alarbus posted:

my understanding was that the lag is introduced by the DISA valves as opposed to the intake, but I am also an idiot

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
In other news, dropped the sedan at VAC for some monoball thrust (control) arms.
Great news, they had time now instead of mid May.
Bad news, there was a problem when I ordered and installed the brake kit last year and I put on P337A rotors instead of S2NHA rotors. Turns out the pads are the same size, the rotors are 30mm smaller, so it doesn't line up right.
Great news Bimmerworld has the two piece rotors for a good price.
Bad news is my charge pipe is being held on with hopes and dreams.
Great news! I have an evolution racewerks one in the trunk to install.

All in all, I'm really glad I took it there, the dealer totally missed the brake rotor issue. I noticed it when putting on the summer tires, and started digging late Sunday. And they missed the charge pipe being seriously cracked. Rotors should arrive today, I can just slap those on this weekend.

Oh, and if I'm feeling :homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew: they have a set of M Sport calipers if I want to put matching brakes on the 440. Who needs money anyway?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

You absolutely need matching shoes bud. Thats the basics of style!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
GTFO of here, money!!!!