Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
For a native English speaker from the USA, would the word "tenement" ever really be used in the legal sense? What word might be used instead of that word if they were talking about the legal meaning (land or title held, with fees paid to the government, as opposed to owned).

The context is blocks of land for mining and mineral/energy exploration - in Australia we use the term tenement to describe these, but apparently that word has a lot of social context in the US that we don't really get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
"Tenement" in US English (including US legal English) does not mean "land leased from government," no. It is really only used here to mean "rented multi-unit dwelling."

If you want to look at the language used to describe leasing rights on public land in the US, the Bureau of Land Management website is probably a good place to start.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 12, 2016

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

dirby posted:

Ask in fonts itt in Creative Convention.

I've already identified it as Insignia, but thanks anyway!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Memento posted:

For a native English speaker from the USA, would the word "tenement" ever really be used in the legal sense? What word might be used instead of that word if they were talking about the legal meaning (land or title held, with fees paid to the government, as opposed to owned).

The context is blocks of land for mining and mineral/energy exploration - in Australia we use the term tenement to describe these, but apparently that word has a lot of social context in the US that we don't really get.

It appears sometimes in some contracts, but more typically that stuff is talked about as "mineral rights" and often you'd have a "grant" to be allowed to exploit them on Federal/State lands. Though the concept of tenement in general still gets taught.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys.

Is there a thread for debunking / fact checking scams?

I got a call on my phone today, from MetroPCS (if you're not familiar with the company they NEVER call, because it's a no-contract "here's an average network and average phone kind of place,) they said that I had been randomly chosen based on my phone upgrade history, and for being a reliable consumer to get a free phone for "review and testing." I talked to the guy a bit, and asked him to verify some account information for me, "Where did I pay my last bill, what's my last name, verify my last 2 addresses" that kind of poo poo, dude seemed legit. I asked him if there was someone I could talk to in person, and he said I could enter any MetroPCS store and my account would be marked.

He seemd to know I was sketched out, but still, gently caress it.

I went into the store and the dude in there was like "Oh yeah, you've had this account for like 4 years now, and you always buy Alcatel phones, so that's probably why you were picked. They're trying to get good reviews for this new phone."

Apparently, it's an Alcatel One Touch Fierce XL, a new "Phablet" device. They want me to post online about how great it is or whatever, had me sign some paper work that laid out that I wouldn't re-sell the phone, and would answer any "Tester Questions" that may arise. I even got the E-mail of the dude in the store who I can send info to and poo poo.

My question is, is there a catch? I got a new phone, only had to pay an upgrade fee of like $15 got a case for $5 and got a car mount for $10, the phone itself is listed on a few sites for almost 200.

I've already taken the thing apart to look for key loggers and poo poo like that, and rooted it, flashed it, and installed the base MetroPCS firmware.

I'm just a little nervous that there is a trick, or it's actually a secret to steal my bank info.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Turtlicious posted:

I'm just a little nervous that there is a trick, or it's actually a secret to steal my bank info.

But it's a legitimate company that you already have an account with? If they were to suddenly turn to crime, why would they need to give you a new phone to do it?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Is there a reason that in the US a person can legally carry an assault rifle and not a butterfly knife or switchblade?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Yaws posted:

Is there a reason that in the US a person can legally carry an assault rifle and not a butterfly knife or switchblade?

Can't you carry those (knives) if you have a permit, though (similar to the rifle)? I forget.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiggum posted:

But it's a legitimate company that you already have an account with? If they were to suddenly turn to crime, why would they need to give you a new phone to do it?

The store I went into was one of those little outlet ones, but they said they "hooked up with corporate."

This is just the first time I've been offered something without having to give anything in return. I'm leery of the situation.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Yaws posted:

Different states in the US have wildly different laws about carrying guns and weapons. Also, owning an "assault rifle" (a select fire long arm chambered in an intermediate-power cartridge) is a very expensive process with many legal hoops.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

The store I went into was one of those little outlet ones, but they said they "hooked up with corporate."

This is just the first time I've been offered something without having to give anything in return. I'm leery of the situation.

Nah, beta testing of stuff like that happens a lot. I do beta testing online and I get offers to beta test phones every other week. They usually want you to use it for a few weeks, report any bugs, and then write reviews "as if you were a consumer" that I assume they use to put on the consumer site or seed feedback from.

Also you are giving something in return, your opinion and your time. That's valuable to a company.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Yaws posted:

There isn't a multi billion dollar lobby for knife sales, despite them being equally a form of arms under the second amendment.

So certain kinds of knives can get banned and stay banned or heavily restricted for decades and there's no National Knife Association threatening to get some congressman fired over it. Same thing with swords and bows/crossbows.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
When you rent a car and they quote you $X per day, is one day considered to be 24 hours from when you sign the rental agreement, or is a partial day considered a full day for pricing?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
24 hours from when you pick up the car. They have an hourly rate that is quite high, but helps if you return the car after 25 hours. If the daily rate is $50, the hourly rate might be $30. So one day, $50. One day one hour $80. One day two hours $100.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm currently employed, looking for another job and have an interview next week. Should I be honest when asking for time off?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

CzarChasm posted:

I'm currently employed, looking for another job and have an interview next week. Should I be honest when asking for time off?

Probably not. You don't know how long it will take to get a new job.

Some related discussion on workplace stackexchange is is here.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

CzarChasm posted:

Jesus gently caress, no.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

Do they have a policy where you have to give a reason for taking time off? If no, then there's no problem. If yes, lie.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Never even let your boss think you're looking to leave until you have an offer in my opinion.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If they were interviewing for your replacement, would they tell you, or would they lie?

That's what I'd do.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Yes, be 100% honest.

"I have an appointment." That's all they need to know. Don't say poo poo about looking for a new job.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
If you're in the UK I'm fairly sure its illegal for a company to deny you time off for an interview (not 100% sure, heard it from a few sources but I'm no lawyer). Don't tell them unless you have to though.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
"Don't tell your current boss you are looking for a new job" is on the same level as "shower at least once a day" as far as life advice goes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

signalnoise posted:

Never even let your boss think you're looking to leave until you have an offer in my opinion.

An offer in writing. Actual paper writing, not an email.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

At 31 years old I've never had a drink of alcohol*, for mostly personal reasons (drunk dad growing up, we've all heard that tale before, I'm sure). Not too interested in getting drunk, but figure I might as well at least try the stuff so I know if I actually like it or not.

The land of alcohol is large and bewildering and scary, like why are there so many variations just of red wine let alone everything else :ohdear:. I'm sure I'd get as many opinions as there are posters, but I'll ask anyway: suggestions for drinks to maybe try over the long weekend?

* not counting a sip of budweiser at 18. tasted like loving piss

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

At 31 years old I've never had a drink of alcohol*, for mostly personal reasons (drunk dad growing up, we've all heard that tale before, I'm sure). Not too interested in getting drunk, but figure I might as well at least try the stuff so I know if I actually like it or not.

The land of alcohol is large and bewildering and scary, like why are there so many variations just of red wine let alone everything else :ohdear:. I'm sure I'd get as many opinions as there are posters, but I'll ask anyway: suggestions for drinks to maybe try over the long weekend?

Like you say, there's enough variety in the alcohol world to keep you occupied for several lifetimes. I'll let others recommend beers and wines, but for spirits I'd say try some craft vodka to get you started. Try a little bit neat (unmixed), then try it in a simple cocktail such as a vodka tonic or Moscow mule - something that lets the spirit come through rather than obscures it. Vodka is a good starting point because most people have the misconception that it's supposed to taste like nothing, but since we currently living in the craft spirits rennaissance, there is a ton of incredible stuff out there to sample. Gins, eaus de vie, rums, bourbons and whiskeys, tequilas and mezcals, and basically every spirit you can think of has so many offerings that even bartenders (like me) haven't tried them all.

Just to get you started with vodka, I can recommend a few basic gooduns, at least if you're in the US. Tito's is solid. Square One makes some nice stuff. St. George Spirits has some great stuff, though their previous brand (Hangar One) got bought by a big conglomerate and turned into swill. None of them should be too difficult to find.

Good luck! There's a ton of great stuff out there and once you have more of an idea of what you're into we can recommend more specific drinks and brands.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Ciaphas posted:

Try a really good beer, and a really good wine. It's so hard to say what will strike a chord with you.
I'd avoid crazy hoppy beers, and maybe ask for a good craft Pale Ale. Something balanced and not flavoured with fruit or spices. Start with a baseline, and then you can branch out if you want.

For wine, if you have a sweet tooth, start with a white. Something rich and tasty, but not cheap and headache inducing. A riesling (Reezling) or Sauvignon Blanc from NZ. If you don't have a sweet tooth. Try something medium bodied, a Merlot, or a Malbec. Pay between $10-$15 for a bottle to start, unless the salesperson knows what they're talking about and has a deal for you. Ask lots of questions! I loved customers who asked lots of questions.

And drink Bourbon.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm in the US, yes (Las Vegas, to be specific--even more odd that I've never really partaken, living here, now I think on it). Thanks for the recommendations, I'll probably poke around after work. I know there's a Lee's Liquor not far from my place, and given my cluelessness I guess that's as good a start as any :v:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Rieslings are mostly alcoholic grape juice. It's the bottle I buy for someone if I don't know whether or not they like wine; thoroughly drinkable for just about anyone.

I'd also suggest you try some hard ciders. There's been sort of a renaissance of ciders in the U.S. over the last few years (at least somewhat due to the gluten free movement, but whatever), and they generally drink very easily.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

Rieslings are mostly alcoholic grape juice. It's the bottle I buy for someone if I don't know whether or not they like wine; thoroughly drinkable for just about anyone.

I'd also suggest you try some hard ciders. There's been sort of a renaissance of ciders in the U.S. over the last few years (at least somewhat due to the gluten free movement, but whatever), and they generally drink very easily.

Oh yeah! Ciders are experiencing a renaissance right now, and there's usually some good local scrumpy to find and consume, in a variety of sweetnesses. Try cider, too.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Someone, Mormon I think, made an e/n thread about leaving the church and/or his wife and really learning to appreciate booze and caffeine.

Does anyone have the link or remember how that turned out?

Hopefully that dude can get the hang of actual social drinking for grown up parties since they obviously skipped the bacchanalian ones in hs and college.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

At least that dude had the excuse of Mormonism to skip the HS/college funtimes and social drinking. Always felt a bit of an outcast saying 'no thanks' to those :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 13, 2016

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

I'm in the US, yes (Las Vegas, to be specific--even more odd that I've never really partaken, living here, now I think on it).
Two bars with good selections I can think of are the Chandelier at the Cosmo and Red Square at Mandalay Bay, which has the biggest vodka collection I have ever seen with my own two eyes.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
I know you're a 31 year old adult that can be responsible, but just be careful if you find yourself liking it too much - that alcoholism runs in families (I'm p sure that's medically proven). You don't want to end up in a jail cell because you're predisposed to overdoing it, and didn't do the limit-finding discovery early like most people do late tees, early 20s.

e: not trying to lecture you or anything, just hung out with a lot of straight edge people back in the day, and when that became uncool I seen more than one late bloomer go from zero to sloppy drunk real quick

Kings Of Calabria fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 13, 2016

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
^^ what that guy said

Ciaphas posted:

If you've never drank, you're 31, and you have no desire to drink... don't drink. There is really nothing to be gained from trying it now.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ciaphas posted:

Do you have friends who drink? Why not just ask them what they like, then you can share some with them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Do you have friends who drink? Why not just ask them what they like, then you can share some with them.

My one buddy who does drink is a megasnob about it so I'm avoiding that for the nonce :v: (Fascinating conversing with him about liquor, though, even if I don't understand most of it.)

And yeah thanks for the thoughts re: alcoholism. That fear of hereditary alcoholism is what kept me from the Demon Drink all these years, and I don't intend on making it a habit. Just sheer idle curiosity on how much I've missed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

photomikey posted:

^^ what that guy said

If you've never drank, you're 31, and you have no desire to drink... don't drink. There is really nothing to be gained from trying it now.

Counterpoint: being drunk is fun sometimes and booze is delicious in a similar way to how coffee is delicious.

Edit: and alcoholism runs hard in my family but here I sit, over ten years of drinking and no dependency!

tuyop fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 13, 2016

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

photomikey posted:

^^ what that guy said

Except a whole world of tasty delights.

Also consider trying a cigar, or fancy cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Said alcohol snob brings in fancy cheeses to work every day almost entirely so we can deadpan the "you want some cheese with that whine" joke every time we get a dumb support ticket.

That's my non sequitur thanks for reading