Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Cache loot is randomised and levelled. You get Zerrikanian saddle bags from doing the horse races on Skellige though and you can win those easily even if you only have the default horse equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

dreadmojo posted:

Really? Does it ever do non trivial damage to land creatures?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L05IF02hbs

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

XP and levels were a mistake, imo. Just give players ability points for completing larger quests or something, side quests going gray and no longer awarding XP is a disincentive when gamers are conditioned to chase every last scrap of XP they can find.

Crafting is needlessly complicated although much improved from the previous Witcher games. Inventory management is rather clunky.
I heartily agree on this point. I really honestly dislike the abilities and managing them via level gain, but the rest of the game is so good I could look past it. You're playing as Geralt for the third time.... you're telling me I have to re-learn sign stuff and advanced sword moves, again?
I think getting mutagens you could take advantage of to unlock some enhancements every once in a while would have sufficed. And maybe incremental minor upgrades to sword power, stamina regen, adrenaline, and sign intensity to scratch the "gaining XP itch".

Alchenar posted:

In The Witcher you are always Gerald, a guy who hits things with his sword and makes fire shoot out of his hands, sometimes after having drunk something. I've always thought it perfectly good, but varied it is not even with the skill trees/mutagens.
Are we supposed to take you seriously when you cant even spell the protagonists name right?

Alchenar posted:

That's writing, not gameplay.

In Skyrim you can play as an assassin, a sword-and-board fighter, an archer, one of a bunch of mage variants, or any combination of the above. You have enormous freedom to approach any combat encounter or dungeon in any way you want.
Skyrim's combat is the most stale, bland, boring bullshit excuse for combat that I have ever seen. You have enormous freedom to approach being bored to tears in any way you want.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
y'all got got

In other news, it is really bugging me out how much the new AC is ripping Witcher 3's music, to the point that it's taking me out of the game during cutscenes. Pretty much every dialogue scene using the default Velen theme: it's bizarre!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Get used to every open world RPG shamelessly aping Witcher 3 for a good while.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

In other news, it is really bugging me out how much the new AC is ripping Witcher 3's music, to the point that it's taking me out of the game during cutscenes. Pretty much every dialogue scene using the default Velen theme: it's bizarre!

One thing that stands out to me in the new AC is how comically bad the voice direction/acting (likely more the former than the latter) is. I don't play many "AAA"-type games, so I don't have much to compare it with other than Witcher and that new Spider-man game, but all the character interactions in AC just feel really goofy and awkward. (The game is still fun and stuff; it's just that the difference really stands out when you're playing both games at the same time like I am).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fuzz posted:

Except for Fallout 76. They're still living in 2015 and FO4 has just come out

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fuzz posted:

I am... perfectly fine with this?

I am also for every other open world franchise Witchering it up as well. Give me dialogue and quest reactivity in Far Cry 6 and Watch Dogs 3, plsktnx.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I just don't think that Gerald is a very deep or interesting character. He's always so monotonous and lacking in emotion.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

I just don't think that Gerald is a very deep or interesting character. He's always so monotonous and lacking in emotion.

isnt the gimmick that he actually does feel a lot, he just doesn't have a way of expressing it?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alchenar posted:

Who is Gerald?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

He sounds like Woody Allen and is a Witcher

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

eonwe posted:

isnt the gimmick that he actually does feel a lot, he just doesn't have a way of expressing it?

subtle expressions under the guise of no expression
Also depends on your conversation choices I would say

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

WoodrowSkillson posted:

He sounds like Woody Allen and is a Witcher
lol

I should probably just ask him to source his quotes at this point.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like he plays up the lack of emotion to scare / intimidate people and to also close himself off from difficult conversations. I don't really buy that he doesn't have emotions. Just how he acts toward Yenn and Ciri is enough for me to not buy the lack of emotion

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

eonwe posted:

I feel like he plays up the lack of emotion to scare / intimidate people and to also close himself off from difficult conversations. I don't really buy that he doesn't have emotions. Just how he acts toward Yenn and Ciri is enough for me to not buy the lack of emotion

its pretty explicit that witchers are just PTSD'd to hell and back from the trials and being orphaned and then they get shoved into a world that spits on them, so they are closed off and distant.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
How could you play through the game and come to the conclusion that Geralt is monotonous and "without emotions", jfc.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

steinrokkan posted:

How could you play through the game and come to the conclusion that Geralt is monotonous and "without emotions", jfc.
and spell his name wrong every time you post. I'm pretty sure the guy is just trolling at this point.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Witcherses say one thing, do two thing!

Do three thing! Sometimes. :troll:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

and spell his name wrong every time you post. I'm pretty sure the guy is just trolling at this point.

It's just two posts and the second one was trolling because of how godawful your post was.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

eonwe posted:

This is the difference between a flat affect and being apathetic. They're not the same.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alchenar posted:

It's just two posts and the second one was trolling because of how godawful your post was.
What was so bad about my post? My opinions on Skyrim or the terrible theorycraft for my opinion on how W3's leveling/experience/character power growth should have worked?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Alchenar posted:

Alchenar: 2
Thread: 0
:hfive:

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What was so bad about my post? My opinions on Skyrim or the terrible theorycraft for my opinion on how W3's leveling/experience/character power growth should have worked?

You are having a well-thought out argument with an even-more-well-thought out gimmick post. :shrug:

Alchenar posted:

ugh...~puppetmaster~ is sooooooo 2007 :nallears:

Ytlaya posted:

One thing that stands out to me in the new AC is how comically bad the voice direction/acting (likely more the former than the latter) is. I don't play many "AAA"-type games, so I don't have much to compare it with other than Witcher and that new Spider-man game, but all the character interactions in AC just feel really goofy and awkward. (The game is still fun and stuff; it's just that the difference really stands out when you're playing both games at the same time like I am).

Yeah, it's most obvious when you go even an inch of the main quest. The dialogue goes from passable to literally formulaic. The most jarring part is the Witcher's music over crappy dialogue. The game owns bones, but its constant attempts to compare itself to W3 make its shortcomings stand in stark relief.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Megazver posted:

I am... perfectly fine with this?

I am also for every other open world franchise Witchering it up as well. Give me dialogue and quest reactivity in Far Cry 6 and Watch Dogs 3, plsktnx.

It would be really cool if other developers looked at the things that make TW3 a great game and took lessons from that to make their own games better but that's not how it works. Instead they'll just copy some superficial stuff that doesn't matter and call it a day because to do otherwise would require actual critical thinking and effort. You can see it in Assassin's Creed.

Same thing happened back when Halo came out and just about every dev in the world went "hmm yes weapon limits and regenerating health that's the key to a successful game :hmmyes:"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I just thought of the perfect Vesemir for the show! Sam loving Elliot!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

chaosapiant posted:

I just thought of the perfect Vesemir for the show! Sam loving Elliot!

For me it's gotta be John Voight

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

MeatwadIsGod posted:

For me it's gotta be John Voight

I honestly don't see that. But i'm willing to give your version a shot.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Gobblecoque posted:

It would be really cool if other developers looked at the things that make TW3 a great game and took lessons from that to make their own games better but that's not how it works. Instead they'll just copy some superficial stuff that doesn't matter and call it a day because to do otherwise would require actual critical thinking and effort. You can see it in Assassin's Creed.

Same thing happened back when Halo came out and just about every dev in the world went "hmm yes weapon limits and regenerating health that's the key to a successful game :hmmyes:"

Horizon: Zero Dawn did that. It's the least and get the most Witcher-y game in years... in some ways its plot is better than W3, though it lacks the breadth of interesting and likable characters who you actually get to know.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Fuzz posted:

Horizon: Zero Dawn did that. It's the least and get the most Witcher-y game in years... in some ways its plot is better than W3, though it lacks the breadth of interesting and likable characters who you actually get to know.

i think ex-CDPR people worked on that game

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

andrew smash posted:

i think ex-CDPR people worked on that game

And the lead on Horizon's story was John Gonzalez, who was the head writer on Fallout: New Vegas.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And Gerald del Riviera has a small voice acting cameo.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Stop making me buy PS4 :argh:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

alex314 posted:

Stop making me buy PS4 :argh:

Do it.
Do it for Horizon Zero Dawn.
And for Uncharted.
You won’t regret it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Helith posted:

Do it.
And for Uncharted.
You won�t regret it.

Red Dead 2 in another couple weeks... :ohdear:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

And the lead on Horizon's story was John Gonzalez, who was the head writer on Fallout: New Vegas.

He played in a Dark Heresy game I ran back in the day, and he scared the crap out of me by going way darker than I usually run those games.

Smart guy, excellent writer.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Whenever I tune in I just hear them playing the Ezio's Family theme over and over, which I think is a shame. Like that was his theme for his games, but since it is the one track that people remembered and put in their XX EPIC MUSIC 10HR MEGAMIX XX videos they feel they have to use it everywhere.

It's like how Fallout 4 plays that war never changes stinger 1000 times in the intro in case you forgot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The war never changes stinger is an awesome three note progression tho. Especially the new Vegas variation.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Helith posted:

Do it.
And for Uncharted.
You won�t regret it.

I'd throw Spider-Man in there, too..

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Helith posted:

Do it.
And for Uncharted.
You won�t regret it.

And Spider-Man.
And God of War.
And Bloodborne.
And Death Stranding.
And...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've got a huge backlog of games to play or finish. I also routinely drop 50$ on some stupid GOG sales.. I probably have 200 games I haven't installed between GOG and Steam.