Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't find Enochian fun in the slightest, so I'd be totally okay with getting rid of it, nerfing the potency of Fire 4 a fair amount to compensate and just make it a straight replacement for Fire 1. Maybe make it so you can cast it at all times, but you still need to refresh AF with Fire 1?

I'd make Blizzard 4 a straight replacement of 3 too because the Ice phase is totally secondary and not cool because you aren't exploding things.

e:
Did someone post this? Requirements for the level 40 squadron promotion (for this week anyway).

Seems pretty fair. Odd compared to all the rest of the missions in that tier.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Enochian owns.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My idea of a Summoner revamp is that every button does Deathflare.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Josuke Higashikata posted:

My idea of a Summoner revamp is that every button does Deathflare.

Now this is the kind of change I can get behind

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Newbie perma-group blind dungeon run: The Lost City of Amdapor

Group: WAR, WHM (me), MNK, SMN

As we level up and increase our gear, trash is becoming less and less of a factor as we clear new dungeons. No exception here.

Decaying Gourmand: As soon as he sucked someone in, we had the fight figured out. Kill the boss, kill the maw whenever he sucks someone in. Other than that, it's a pretty easy, low-damage fight. There was a bit of AoE to avoid, but no big deal.

Arioch: This one took a couple of attempts because we weren't sure how the Scale Flakes worked. We had multiple people getting the debuff each time, which was confusing. The boss also kept taking off and regenerating, and we had a bit of trouble managing when to kill a new wamura to keep him on the ground. We did kill him on our second attempt, but it took much longer than it should have. I'd guess he regenerated about 150% of his health bar over the course of the fight.

Diabolos: Man, this fight has some stuff going on! We obviously saw the doors at the beginning but wanted to get any other mechanics down first (there's not much). It took three attempts to figure out the symbols and how to use the doors to avoid the Ruinous Omen attack. Once we had the strategy down, it took a few more attempts to execute. We started by just assigning each person a symbol, but it takes so long to run between two opposing doors that it's easy to miss if you don't start moving immediately on Ruinous Open cast.

At this point I said "You know, this guy really doesn't do poo poo for damage at the beginning, so you just call out the symbols and I'll write them down". We then spread out a bit so everyone was within easy range of the doors. With my camera zoomed out, I coordinated the door openings ("Next one is Goobbue, so that's me and the Summoner -- go now!"). Worked like a charm. Later in the fight some untargeted orbs appeared and we avoided them, which is apparently what you're supposed to do.

Lots of execution in this fight, and I'm pretty proud of us for going in blind, learning it, and pulling it off in about five attempts.

Overall, it was a good time, though I think I enjoyed Amdapor Keep a bit more.

Unfortunately, my newbie FC is experiencing a bit of attrition now. We were up to eight members, but one is taking a "hiatus" but says he'll be back, and another has disappeared off the face of the earth (he tends to do this with games -- he'll play a billion hours in the first couple of weeks and then drop it completely). The rest of us are still pretty dedicated though, and as long as we can field four people, we can do most of the content.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I don't find Enochian fun in the slightest, so I'd be totally okay with getting rid of it, nerfing the potency of Fire 4 a fair amount to compensate and just make it a straight replacement for Fire 1. Maybe make it so you can cast it at all times, but you still need to refresh AF with Fire 1?

I'd make Blizzard 4 a straight replacement of 3 too because the Ice phase is totally secondary and not cool because you aren't exploding things.

e:
Did someone post this? Requirements for the level 40 squadron promotion (for this week anyway).

Seems pretty fair. Odd compared to all the rest of the missions in that tier.

squadron promotion values are static, as I have posted before

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

WhiteHowler posted:

Diabolos: Man, this fight has some stuff going on! We obviously saw the doors at the beginning but wanted to get any other mechanics down first (there's not much). It took three attempts to figure out the symbols and how to use the doors to avoid the Ruinous Omen attack. Once we had the strategy down, it took a few more attempts to execute. We started by just assigning each person a symbol, but it takes so long to run between two opposing doors that it's easy to miss if you don't start moving immediately on Ruinous Open cast.

At this point I said "You know, this guy really doesn't do poo poo for damage at the beginning, so you just call out the symbols and I'll write them down". We then spread out a bit so everyone was within easy range of the doors. With my camera zoomed out, I coordinated the door openings ("Next one is Goobbue, so that's me and the Summoner -- go now!"). Worked like a charm. Later in the fight some untargeted orbs appeared and we avoided them, which is apparently what you're supposed to do.

Lots of execution in this fight, and I'm pretty proud of us for going in blind, learning it, and pulling it off in about five attempts.

Man, I'm glad you powered through that. Every time I get that dungeon lately people just try to ignore the doors on Diabolos and it's a crapshoot whether it's a success or not. As for the orbs, yeah, you stay away from them. He targets a random player with that attack so it's good to be spread out, they pulse periodically and do a good bit of damage if you're standing by them.

So, what's up next for your brave adventurers?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ilifinicus posted:

squadron promotion values are static, as I have posted before

I can barely remember two days ago, I certainly can't remember every single post on these here forums

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

this got post on the reddit and it's a spoiler but here you go

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

WhiteHowler posted:

A tip you may find useful if you ever end up in there again is that you can open the first door of a pair at any time and it'll just stay open indefinitely so you don't need to be opening two at once during the Ruinous Omen cast.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You can also mark (most of) the doors with Markers at the start.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
You can also just ignore that mechanic entirely if you're in ironworks gear. (This applies to the majority of mechanics in level 50 dungeons unfortunately, which is why so many people were recommending min ilevel runs earlier.)

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

ActionZero posted:

A tip you may find useful if you ever end up in there again is that you can open the first door of a pair at any time and it'll just stay open indefinitely so you don't need to be opening two at once during the Ruinous Omen cast.
We thought of that, but it seemed like the doors were re-closing after a few seconds. Maybe we weren't paying attention and multiple people were trying to open them.

kirbysuperstar posted:

You can also mark (most of) the doors with Markers at the start.
Woah, that never occurred to us. Healing most of this fight is super easy, so maybe next time I'll do that at the beginning.

Eopia posted:

You can also just ignore that mechanic entirely if you're in ironworks gear. (This applies to the majority of mechanics in level 50 dungeons unfortunately, which is why so many people were recommending min ilevel runs earlier.)
I'm in about half ironworks, half daystar gear, and I'm by far the best-equipped from our group. So we're a bit over the minimum level, but not so far that we can completely ignore the high-damage boss attacks. At best, it turns a few things from insta-wipes into "maybe recoverable".

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You'll probably only need two trips through the doors even with bad gear so if two people mark one set, you should be perfectly fine.

I kind of feel like Ironworks is a little too expensive for this point in the game. It's not very good for levelling through Heavensward so it's not like you're getting an unfair boost there. The weapons at least should really be made more readily available, rather than needing ~800 or so poe. Poe's not hard to get, but it's not super easy to get either, especially if you can make use of it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

You'll probably only need two trips through the doors even with bad gear so if two people mark one set, you should be perfectly fine.

I kind of feel like Ironworks is a little too expensive for this point in the game. It's not very good for levelling through Heavensward so it's not like you're getting an unfair boost there. The weapons at least should really be made more readily available, rather than needing ~800 or so poe. Poe's not hard to get, but it's not super easy to get either, especially if you can make use of it.

on the other hand 115 weapons are trivial to craft and there is always one for each job sitting in the TPT company chest.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

ilifinicus posted:

this got post on the reddit and it's a spoiler but here you go

I'm surprised that wasn't done sooner, honestly.

Relatedly, the most surprising thing to me in 3.4 was Urianger revealing his full face.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SL the Pyro posted:

I'm surprised that wasn't done sooner, honestly.

Relatedly, the most surprising thing to me in 3.4 was Urianger revealing his full face.

I can't remember was Y'shtola there anytime he was with the warriors of darkness? I know Alisae saw through his disguise, but she's blind and can only see people based on their aetherial trace and would certainly have recognized him right away.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Newbie FC blind instance run: King Moggle Mog XII (Thornmarch Hard)

Party: WAR, WHM (me), WHM, MNK, SMN
(Also joined by a pub PLD, NIN, BRD)

We could only wrangle five people last night, but this is the next instance in the 2.1+ quest line, so we used the duty finder to fill out the party.

We gave a heads-up to the pubs that most of us had never done this fight before, and they seemed very cool with it, agreeing not to spoil anything.

Attempt #1: We did well killing the various Moogles that appeared, finally getting to the King. We decided to finish off the "trash" moogles before engaging the King, though I'm not sure this got communicated to the pubs. We were down to three of the small Moogles when one of them did some weird attack: "So-and-so calls down the stars". This did around 5000 damage to everyone and wiped most of the group. We assumed it was a DPS check that we failed because we were just kind of attacking whatever.

Attempt #2: Our pub PLD said "I don't want to spoil the fight for you, but would it be okay if I mark targets to focus on?". We said sure, and the fight started again. I noticed that he didn't bother marking two of the moogles in the final phase of the fight. I was too busy healing to see which ones they were, or what gear they appeared to have on -- I think maybe they were both tank classes? Anyway, with an easier ability to focus targets, we took them down very quickly and engaged the King. Once the adds were down we just went hard DPS on the King -- nobody was taking much damage, so I went to Cleric Stance and just poured on the damage. We exterminated the King, and there was much rejoicing.

Kind of a neat fight, though it was so chaotic that we were having trouble figuring out which Moogle class had which ability. I'll have to look it up later, because I'm curious if it's a raw DPS check, or if we needed to kill the moogle guards in a specific order.

The other WHM (who rarely plays WHM) won the Mogstaff. Grrrrrr.

-----

BONUS!

The Minstrel's Ballad: Ultima's Bane

We had no particular reason to do this one, other than we wanted the quest out of our Journals. We knew it was a harder mode for Ultima Weapon.

We tried to queue with the same classes we'd used for King Mog, but we had no luck after waiting for 15 minutes. We switched to...

Party: WAR, PLD (me), WHM, SCH, MNK

That worked much better, and we got in within seconds.

Again we were grouped up with some pubs, and again they seemed to be cool with us doing this fight blind.

Attempt #1: I started off tanking and immediately noticed the stacking buff I was getting. The tooltip even says "if you get five of these you're dead", so we switched off tanking at four stacks. Anyone who's tanked anything in WoW is familiar with this, and we never had any issues. The problem is, there is poo poo happening EVERYWHERE in this fight. AOE's, non-tank focus attacks, knockbacks, even a "dance". People were dying left and right. At some point, something happened that killed half the party. I don't even know what. The only ones left standing were the two tanks, the WHM, and the MNK. I don't know how the hell our WHM did it, but he kept us going for an incredibly long time, and we got the boss down to around 30% life. When the Magitek bits showed up, we didn't have enough DPS to take them out, and we died to attrition as the WHM's mana ran out.

Attempt #2: Same deal, but at least we were figuring out the ground effects to avoid. Some people were still having trouble avoiding Titan's inside/outside "dance", but our healers were able to keep everyone up (and toss a couple of combat resses). We noticed that the weird orbs went away when we walked over them, so we did that. Occasionally we'd also take a ton of damage from... something? Late in the fight our other tank died, and I was already at three stacks of the debuff. It eventually killed me, but by now the boss was at 5% life, so the remaining group finished it off with Limit Breaks and focused DPS.

Honestly, I hated this fight. There were too many attacks happening at one time, with graphical effects everywhere. It was almost impossible to figure out any given mechanic (obviously some are modified versions of Primal boss attacks). The only reason we (barely) won was because of our overgeared pubbies.

I don't see myself wanting to do this one again anytime soon.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Finally started diving into the patch and boy is there a lot to do. Goddess looks somehow easier than Sephirot, has anyone actually good found that to be true? I haven't tried the extreme version yet. The first two levels of this last leg of Alex were fun too. Library Hard was whatever, I wasn't blown away. That's all I got to, but I'm feeling excited.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

WhiteHowler posted:

Honestly, I hated this fight. There were too many attacks happening at one time, with graphical effects everywhere. It was almost impossible to figure out any given mechanic (obviously some are modified versions of Primal boss attacks). The only reason we (barely) won was because of our overgeared pubbies.

Ultima Bard Mode is an Extreme Primal in disguise, really. I'm actually surprised you got it in only two pulls going in blind.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don't think there's ever meant to be a disguise about it. All of the minstrel's ballads are extreme/savage versions. They just don't have a lore reason for you to do the harder fight like extreme primals do.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

WhiteHowler posted:

Newbie FC blind instance run: King Moggle Mog XII (Thornmarch Hard)

Party: WAR, WHM (me), WHM, MNK, SMN
(Also joined by a pub PLD, NIN, BRD)

We could only wrangle five people last night, but this is the next instance in the 2.1+ quest line, so we used the duty finder to fill out the party.

We gave a heads-up to the pubs that most of us had never done this fight before, and they seemed very cool with it, agreeing not to spoil anything.

Attempt #1: We did well killing the various Moogles that appeared, finally getting to the King. We decided to finish off the "trash" moogles before engaging the King, though I'm not sure this got communicated to the pubs. We were down to three of the small Moogles when one of them did some weird attack: "So-and-so calls down the stars". This did around 5000 damage to everyone and wiped most of the group. We assumed it was a DPS check that we failed because we were just kind of attacking whatever.

Attempt #2: Our pub PLD said "I don't want to spoil the fight for you, but would it be okay if I mark targets to focus on?". We said sure, and the fight started again. I noticed that he didn't bother marking two of the moogles in the final phase of the fight. I was too busy healing to see which ones they were, or what gear they appeared to have on -- I think maybe they were both tank classes? Anyway, with an easier ability to focus targets, we took them down very quickly and engaged the King. Once the adds were down we just went hard DPS on the King -- nobody was taking much damage, so I went to Cleric Stance and just poured on the damage. We exterminated the King, and there was much rejoicing.

Kind of a neat fight, though it was so chaotic that we were having trouble figuring out which Moogle class had which ability. I'll have to look it up later, because I'm curious if it's a raw DPS check, or if we needed to kill the moogle guards in a specific order.

The other WHM (who rarely plays WHM) won the Mogstaff. Grrrrrr.

-----

BONUS!

We had no particular reason to do this one, other than we wanted the quest out of our Journals. We knew it was a harder mode for Ultima Weapon.

We tried to queue with the same classes we'd used for King Mog, but we had no luck after waiting for 15 minutes. We switched to...

Party: WAR, PLD (me), WHM, SCH, MNK

That worked much better, and we got in within seconds.

Again we were grouped up with some pubs, and again they seemed to be cool with us doing this fight blind.

Attempt #1: I started off tanking and immediately noticed the stacking buff I was getting. The tooltip even says "if you get five of these you're dead", so we switched off tanking at four stacks. Anyone who's tanked anything in WoW is familiar with this, and we never had any issues. The problem is, there is poo poo happening EVERYWHERE in this fight. AOE's, non-tank focus attacks, knockbacks, even a "dance". People were dying left and right. At some point, something happened that killed half the party. I don't even know what. The only ones left standing were the two tanks, the WHM, and the MNK. I don't know how the hell our WHM did it, but he kept us going for an incredibly long time, and we got the boss down to around 30% life. When the Magitek bits showed up, we didn't have enough DPS to take them out, and we died to attrition as the WHM's mana ran out.

Attempt #2: Same deal, but at least we were figuring out the ground effects to avoid. Some people were still having trouble avoiding Titan's inside/outside "dance", but our healers were able to keep everyone up (and toss a couple of combat resses). We noticed that the weird orbs went away when we walked over them, so we did that. Occasionally we'd also take a ton of damage from... something? Late in the fight our other tank died, and I was already at three stacks of the debuff. It eventually killed me, but by now the boss was at 5% life, so the remaining group finished it off with Limit Breaks and focused DPS.

Ultima is equivalent to an EX Primal in difficulty as others have said but is far less complicated than he appears.

Every single mechanic he has is no more complicated than "don't stand in the bad" except for the orbs which have to be intercepted before a linked pair reach each other. What's more, all the bad tbings you need to not stand in are just the exact same mechanics from the first three Primals except sequenced differently. He's probably one of the more intuitive EX fights.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 8, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think there's ever meant to be a disguise about it. All of the minstrel's ballads are extreme/savage versions. They just don't have a lore reason for you to do the harder fight like extreme primals do.

I agree with you, but it is a little different for Ultima I feel being a Praetorium fight originally and not a separate instance of its own. It's definitely clear with Nidd

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Isn't the lore reason for the extreme primals just "oh those wacky beast tribes they're at it again :razz:"

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

WhiteHowler posted:

That's a drat shame, cause Bard Mode Ultima is a loving fun fight. It's a nice taste of what later extremes/raids will be like.

It also only adds two new mechanics to the regular fight. The tank swap debuff and several orbs that appear. If two orbs touch, they'll wipe the party. Aside from that, everything is just a stronger version of what was in the first Ultima fight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The minstrel's ballads are just yoshi p's dream of what the game would be if anyone was good.

Ultima, Savage SCOB, Savage Alex, Thordan'a Reign, HoggEx are all of the minstrel quests, right? Sophia and treedad are computer simulations.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Mr. Nice! posted:

I can't remember was Y'shtola there anytime he was with the warriors of darkness? I know Alisae saw through his disguise, but she's blind and can only see people based on their aetherial trace and would certainly have recognized him right away.

Y'shtola was inconveniently not around for 95% of the plot involving the Warriors of Darkness. I think they were trying to give more focus to Thancred, since Y'shtola helped with the end of the base Heavensward story and has been involved with Alexander. So yeah, you're right, but the way the plot unfolds makes it sound like they just didn't want to have her be the person to once again reveal everything. I mean, I'm alright with that- Y'shtola is a good character, but she's also best used sparingly.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I thought I'd seen all the bad opinions until I saw someone poo poo talking form shift. :psyduck:

Thundarr posted:

From the rumors it sounds like 51 to 100 it'll be more of the same but 101 to 200 are more tuned for raid level difficulty, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm hoping any new abilities in 4.0 are passives. Maybe even passives you can choose from! But given the history of that sort of thing in MMOs it'd probably just be a fake choice anyway.

As much as I want to try the Nybbas fight, running 200 floors to do so doesn't seem fun unless it gets mixed up a fair bit.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

monks were being kicked from duty finder parties in the first week of heavensward launch because of form shift spamming to get ready for the next battle

people were 100% convinced the monks were doing it to gently caress with them, and had no idea it was part of the toolkit

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Brainamp posted:

That's a drat shame, cause Bard Mode Ultima is a loving fun fight. It's a nice taste of what later extremes/raids will be like.

It also only adds two new mechanics to the regular fight. The tank swap debuff and several orbs that appear. If two orbs touch, they'll wipe the party. Aside from that, everything is just a stronger version of what was in the first Ultima fight.

its funny thinking back to how much trouble that fight gave people in 2.1 and realizing you can now clear it unsynced in 45 seconds (its funny watching all 3 sets of airships spawn and crash after ultima dies)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Form Shift and charging chakra is loud and kinda obnoxious but they are both good. They could probably do more to lessen it for people who aren't the monk though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I must be reading something wrong, how do non-Scholars resurrect during fights?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tae posted:

I must be reading something wrong, how do non-Scholars resurrect during fights?

Summoner can res in fights just like Scholar.
AST and WHM obviously can too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Do I have to disenage completely? Because Raise doesn't let me resurrect during combat.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tae posted:

Do I have to disenage completely? Because Raise doesn't let me resurrect during combat.

What level are you?
I can't see it in my Arcanist trait list but both AST and WHM have a trait to allow it.
If you can't do it, it's either a level thing or I haven't got a clue.

Also if you're doing PVP, you can't do it as SMN/ACN.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

okay, S-E. this will do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hwWBLeuz4c

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Form Shift and charging chakra is loud and kinda obnoxious but they are both good. They could probably do more to lessen it for people who aren't the monk though.

they've nerfed the sound effect on chakra at least once already, shortly after release

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So something else to do after I have spent entirely too much money on merchandise, before having Koji Fox sing primal songs at me.

terrified of my bathroom posted:

they've nerfed the sound effect on chakra at least once already, shortly after release

Yeah, meditating was lout as hell that first week or so.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

UHD posted:

Isn't the lore reason for the extreme primals just "oh those wacky beast tribes they're at it again :razz:"

Yes, albeit with Ascian assistance. The Minstrel stories are for the fights that have no lore reason for being repeatable, since nobody is resummoning Ultima Weapon or Alexander.

In that case a bard making poo poo up and embellishing the story is a perfect framework.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Thundarr posted:

So something else to do after I have spent entirely too much money on merchandise, before having Koji Fox sing primal songs at me.

Yeah, meditating was lout as hell that first week or so.

they also nerfed fell cleave sound at the same time :smith:

• Locked thread