Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Dubs posted:

This is pretty rad. Some dude built a touch screen HUD style thing for his scooter off an arduino.

http://www.janspace.com/b2evolution/arduino.php/2010/06/26/scooterputer

I thought 'LEAN' was air fuel and that it was double awesome, but it just just the actual lean of the scooter :(.

AFR would be simple, he would just need to purchase a wide-band 02 sensor. The lean read out can't be very accurate with only an accelerometer (no gyro).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Man do I love it.

Completely different from what I'm used to. Still getting used to the low RPM and completely different power band/gearing. Decent amount of vibration but not as bad as my friends 640 SM. Loads of fun and torque. I'm kind of at the mercy of the wind sometimes and nothing blocking wind in the front at all sucks sometimes. But I love the seating position and smooth ride.

She may be ugly but boy is she fun.

**** you I park where I want

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Christoff posted:

I'm kind of at the mercy of the wind sometimes and nothing blocking wind in the front at all sucks sometimes. But I love the seating position and smooth ride.

You'll get completely used to the wind with some more time.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

2010 Motorcyclist Road Conditions Survey

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TWBTTY8

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ola posted:

Apparently comedian, motorcyclist and excellent person Ross Noble is on Fifth Gear tonight. Did any brits catch it?

Here's an answer to my own question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GESLWL0mmJM

Segment starts half way out in part 2, Ross Noble and Charlie Boorman do some offroad racing along with the presenters. Not all that entertaining, particularly considering how funny Ross Noble is but there you go.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Retarded Pimp posted:

2010 Motorcyclist Road Conditions Survey

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TWBTTY8

I couldn't get past the first question, what state do you primarily ride in? I couldn't find frustration, euphoria, or paranoia anywhere on the list.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Linedance posted:

I couldn't get past the first question, what state do you primarily ride in? I couldn't find frustration, euphoria, or paranoia anywhere on the list.

MO for Misery.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Dubs posted:

This is pretty rad. Some dude built a touch screen HUD style thing for his scooter off an arduino.

http://www.janspace.com/b2evolution/arduino.php/2010/06/26/scooterputer

I thought 'LEAN' was air fuel and that it was double awesome, but it just just the actual lean of the scooter :(.

Kept reading the kit as "Dual Man Love"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, the days of the Japanese using Canada as a testing ground for weird poo poo are certainly coming to a middle.

We're getting the Ninja 400R, and if you're thinkin' it looks familiar, you're right: It basically looks to be a sleeved-down 650R. (And if you read hellforleather you knew all this already.)

When I say that we get used as a testing ground for weird poo poo, I mean the lower-displacement stuff you don't ordinarily think of as selling well in the American market. We got Kawi's ZZR250, which was an expensive Ninja 250 in a late-90's-curvy sport-touring-styled shell. We were the first to get the Versys, and had Honda's CBR125 a year before the states (but well after Europe). I'm thinkin' this happens because we can be expected to have tastes in vehicles similar to Americans, but the market's a lot smaller, so the manufacturers don't risk blowing nearly as much money if a product flops.

Just wish this strategy applied to consumer electronics, too...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think they released the 400R there because of the new law about power/weight ratio and new riders.

I wish they brought out a 400cc inline 4 on a 600cc ss style (read: current suspension and geometry) setup, I'd buy the poo poo out of one.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I don't think we ever got the cbr125.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
gently caress me, when it rains it pours. Only just got the clutch cable fixed and I've picked up a dirty big puncture in the Gixxer's rear hoop. I was riding to work in the rain tonight and it felt like driving a truck with no power-steering on ice. Gonna have to pump as much pressure into the rear as I can to get it home, then call around tomorrow and beg someone to squeeze me in for a new pair of tyres.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

I don't think we ever got the cbr125.

My bad, you totally didn't.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

So it's a sleeved down 650 and weighs the same, I'll take the 250.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Phy posted:

We got Kawi's ZZR250, which was an expensive Ninja 250 in a late-90's-curvy sport-touring-styled shell.

My brother in-law had one of these and it was actually a really great bike. Great handling, ridiculous redline, nice look. I think the look and handling were the main improvements over the regular 250.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Valentino Rossi is loving hardcore

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2010/07/rossi-hobbled-into-test-sessio.html

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

redscare posted:

Valentino Rossi is loving hardcore

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2010/07/rossi-hobbled-into-test-sessio.html

Holy poo poo

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Anyone else find it funny that supersport bikes are ridiculous to insure compared to other powerful bikes?

For example if I were to insure myself for a 600CC sportbike be it a Ninja ZX-6, Gsxr600,CBR600,Yamaha R6 it would cost roughly 300 a year in liability insurance, not beyond most peoples means but still fairly hefty.

but I quoted myself on a 2002+ model VFR800, this bike still makes over 100hp, and is actually bigger displacement 781cc, and is actually a more expensive bike but would cost me a little less than 100/year to insure on liability.

Another example is an Fz-1, ok this thing is a half faired bike with an R1 engine (140ish HP) and it also costs about 100 a year give or take to insure, compared to a straight up R1 which would run me up about 340/year to insure.

People must really crash the poo poo out of their supersports and have higher risk factors, even though the VFR and Fz1 are quite capable machines themselves.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
The answer is "retards." Gixxers, R1s/R6s, etc, are bought far more frequenty by retards than FZ1s and VFRs. Your average squid isn't going to buy an FZ1 because it "looks gay" or something similar, while the R1 is going to get him all the bitches. Said squid is a lot more likely to bin his bike into a car and thus be at fault.

You should check the comprehensive and collision rates. Sportbikes are astronomically expensive for both, with the former being ridiculous thanks to theft rates.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You get to pay to play with new bikes. :v:

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
That's true over here as well.

The stupid thing is that the R1 would run me 600 quid a year fully comprehensive. Compare that to a really lovely car, like a Fiat Cinqecento (actually a smaller engine) which would cost 1000-1200 quid a year. Madness.

Having said that, my CB400 is 130 quid a year 3rd party fire and theft.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Depends on the co--every time they have to buy new Gixxer plastics, the rate goes up.

"...a large company like Progressive has the data resolution, if you will, to see the difference between, say, an SV650 and an SV650S. If one has a higher loss rate than the other, it will charge accordingly. Not all insurance companies do this. Our local State Farm agent said, "We basically look at the engine size."

http://www.sportrider.com/features/146_0412_safety_dance_motorcycle_insurance/index.html

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

redscare posted:

The answer is "retards." Gixxers, R1s/R6s, etc, are bought far more frequenty by retards than FZ1s and VFRs. Your average squid isn't going to buy an FZ1 because it "looks gay" or something similar, while the R1 is going to get him all the bitches. Said squid is a lot more likely to bin his bike into a car and thus be at fault.

You should check the comprehensive and collision rates. Sportbikes are astronomically expensive for both, with the former being ridiculous thanks to theft rates.

And the bikes are stolen for parts to repair crashed bikes...it'sa vicious cycle. Crash one, steal one to fix it, crash it again steal another.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This is definitely a topic for a different thread in a different sub forum, but what is a good site to check out tech jobs in the US? I'm toying with the idea of changing country. I suppose the west coast is best for motorcycling and I don't think it's too bad for a digital cinema career either, but it's hard to google for with all the CV-seller sites.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Ola posted:

This is definitely a topic for a different thread in a different sub forum, but what is a good site to check out tech jobs in the US? I'm toying with the idea of changing country. I suppose the west coast is best for motorcycling and I don't think it's too bad for a digital cinema career either, but it's hard to google for with all the CV-seller sites.

I'd stay in Norway if I were you, our economy is right and proper hosed. If you must come here, stay out of California, we're doubly right and proper hosed.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, there's that. It's just an idea and it needn't be for a very long time. But it would be interesting to see what opportunities there are. I checked the websites of the major manufacturers and they were hiring tons of people but with more degrees on their resume than there are on my compass.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Have a look around Vancouver if it's digital cinema you're after, plus the riding around there is pretty ace (as long as it isn't raining). Probably a lot easier to get a visa too.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
You might also look in to Dallas and Austin. Dallas kinda sucks for riding though, no good roads unless you're willing to huff it a few hundred miles to Arkansas or South Texas.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Are you looking for locations or websites?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Marv Hushman posted:

Our local State Farm agent said, "We basically look at the engine size."

Yeah, all my agent wanted to know is how big it was haha

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

Ola posted:

What sort of tech job? I stick to Dice and company websites. So far it has worked out for me, but I was applying for niche stuff so my competition pool was much smaller.

Boulder, Colorado is another good place to look. There is tons of tech out here, and the roads just west of town are OMG. My employer is hiring, but I think most of it is US-citizen only unless you're a driver developer.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Seconding Vancouver if you're doing digital cinema. A lot of production is being moved out of the states to there to cut costs. It's also right next to the Cascades, so just do a quick google maps search and I'm sure you'll find a nice twisty mountain road somewhere nearby.

M4gic
Aug 23, 2005

They say...hunger is the best spice!
Man it was a rough night to ride in Omaha. A car pulled up along side me and started throwing stuff at me and yelling. Turned an enjoyable ride into an irritating one. Have you guys ever had people throw stuff at you?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Don't let Z3n ride your poo poo.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

This is excellent advice.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

What you mean let? He stole it!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

What you mean let? He stole it!

You shouldn't leave the keys where Spiffness can find them. Makes things too easy. :colbert:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks for the tips guys. I've been checking the company sites and so on, there is a job in North Carolina I'm well qualified for but I'm not sure I really want to go there. Thanks for your tips, I'll keep toying with the idea.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

M4gic posted:

Man it was a rough night to ride in Omaha. A car pulled up along side me and started throwing stuff at me and yelling. Turned an enjoyable ride into an irritating one. Have you guys ever had people throw stuff at you?

It was me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Ola posted:

Thanks for the tips guys. I've been checking the company sites and so on, there is a job in North Carolina I'm well qualified for but I'm not sure I really want to go there. Thanks for your tips, I'll keep toying with the idea.

FYI, there are some seriously great bike roads in western NC.