Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Josh Lyman posted:

When it comes to something as iconic, as functional as a lightsaber, making a production design choice simply because "it looks cool" betrays everything you've build up in-universe. I say this without be a Star Wars nerd.

Star Wars is full of poo poo that looks cool that doesn't seem to serve a logical purpose. Why does the most iconic ship have a cockpit off to the side of the ship instead of in the middle, seems like a bad design to have a ship with a massive loving blindspot like that. Can you imagine parking the Falcon when you can't get a sense of how far the left side of the ship sticks out because you built your cockpit as a sidecar? But it looks sweet so who gives a gently caress. Why do podracers have two flying engines loosely connected to a cockpit with weeny cables and some electricity? Who would build something with such tenuous connections? But it looks like a badass modern chariot, so who gives a gently caress. Why would civilizations capable of building super technically advanced poo poo build dorky butler droids that struggle to walk? What's the point of a Tie Fighter having big flimsy wall wings on the side? What purpose do they serve? Why does the death star put it's main weapon anywhere but the center? Why would you built ATATs with such slow unmanuverable easily tripped legs, wouldn't treads function way better?

We don't know why the designers designed it the way they did. They probably have valid reasons for it. We've seen one second of footage. We haven't seen how he fights with it or anything, just the way it looks. But all that matters is that in the film he's going to use it effectively or it will betray him and reveal itself as a purposefully bad design, so who gives a poo poo

people need to stop looking for reasons to be angry about a movie we've seen 15 seconds of unconnected footage for

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

People made a big deal about Darth Maul's double lightsaber in Episode 1. 15 years later nobody thinks it's weird anymore if a Star Wars character is shown using it.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Next BOND film announced,

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
For some reason that trick makes me think of Metal Gear rather than Alien now.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62E4FJTwSuc

lol

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I have no idea whats going on in that trailer. So it's back in the .... 80s? 90s? What. Old Terminator... T-1000? WHAT THE gently caress.

Looks like a giant mess.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

I have no idea whats going on in that trailer. So it's back in the .... 80s? 90s? What. Old Terminator... T-1000? WHAT THE gently caress.

Looks like a giant mess.

It's confusing, for sure. I do remember reading an article where James Cameron was approached for an idea for the this sequel (reboot?) and suggested a plot point where a terminator had been sent back in time, but missed its mark. That terminator eventually just blended in with society (since it's a learning computer, covered in organic tissue) and eventually got old. I guess the writers actually used that idea?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I guess they're shrugging off the series' fatalism and getting into the grandfather paradox?

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I get the impression they're going for a reboot made canonical through time fuckery. Which is an interesting idea, considering the series up to this point.

Shame that everything else looks pretty terrible and B-list, though. Those callback lines were hamfisted, the effects work hasn't moved past T3 (yes I know it's likely unfinished), and no matter what sort of explanation they have for the most flamboyant bus flip I've ever seen, it won't be enough to make me not laugh.

I was way more pumped up for Salvation from that trailer.

vvv for those of you who don't already know, behold:

f#a# fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 4, 2014

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Looks like fan fiction, which I guess it is to an extent. Linda Hamilton's stand-in looks spookily similar, though:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Dem brows

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

It looks like it's made from spare bits of other terminator films. That trailer is like 60% homage shots/lines.

Who even wants a fifth Terminator film!?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
After those godawful press photos I was expecting the worst, but it doesn't look too bad. I was confused about how the later scenes looked too modern, but going by Arnold's greyness I guess we'll be following them over a few decades. I'll also assume that the CG isn't in it's final state because the T-1000 liquid effects looked really bad.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Dillbag posted:

Dem brows

:stare: That cant be real right

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

the_american_dream posted:

:stare: That cant be real right

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I don't know - my expectations for this movie were as low as they could be, especially after that godawful EW spread from a few weeks ago. I thought this trailer looked fun and brought my expectations up to "looking forward to it." It helps that they aren't shying away from Arnie looking old, and that Khaleesi is doing a far better Linda Hamilton impression than I could have ever imagined. Still upset that it starts Jai Courtney, AKA the blandest actor in Hollywood.

I think another point in it's favor is that instead of trying to fit into the increasingly convoluted Terminator timeline, this movie seems content to just go nuts and blow it all up. Seems like after the events of every Terminator movie so far, in the far future, John or someone else decided "Let's just send back a good T-800 to protect Sarah as a baby." That T-800 was also programmed with knowledge of the events of the first, second, and third movies, so when T1-arnie shows up, they're there to just kill him right away. There's probably a lot of holes in this theory, as it doesn't explain why the T-1000 is now an asian dude and opens up for a ton of paradoxes, but Terminator was never super-concerned with it's time travel rules making sense anyway.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It looks insanely bad and pointless.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
my proposed tagline: This isn't your Daddy's Terminator. No, this Terminator is a Daddy (to Sarah Connor)

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

That's still better than mediocre and "fan-pleasing". It could be interestingly bad, at least, although this being from the Thor 2 guy (a movie that quite literally just seems to have vanished from everyone's memory within a year) doesn't give much hope for that.

Still hilarious that their entire idea seems to ve "well gently caress it smash the first two movies together, add some future framing device, I don't know".

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Was that Arnold fighting Young Arnold? That's a pretty cool idea. Rest of the movie looks lame.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Cameo posted:

Still hilarious that their entire idea seems to ve "well gently caress it smash the first two movies together, add some future framing device, I don't know".

"And tell the finest mid-tier TV actors to name their price!"

"No, wait, that's too much."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Looks like a giant mess.

The premise seems to be that Terminator 1 is about to happen but when Kyle Reese gets sent back he discovers that another Terminator was sent back too far and ends up saving/training Sarah Connor so you basically end up with Terminator 2 Sarah earlier than should be.

teagone posted:

It's confusing, for sure. I do remember reading an article where James Cameron was approached for an idea for the this sequel (reboot?) and suggested a plot point where a terminator had been sent back in time, but missed its mark. That terminator eventually just blended in with society (since it's a learning computer, covered in organic tissue) and eventually got old. I guess the writers actually used that idea?

They kind of did that in the TV show. A Terminator accidentally goes back in time to the 30s and screws things up so it can't finish its mission. So instead it has to set things right, so it ends up running a construction company that becomes famous for hiring regardless of race (since Terminators aren't racist.)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I dunno guys. Maybe they'll stop Judgment Day and everything will be ok this time!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

This is the dude who's playing the T-800:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

morestuff posted:

That loving profile photo. Holy poo poo.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

morestuff posted:

Well if this film turns out to be lovely it will still be forever redeemed for introducing me to this picture.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

morestuff posted:

"And tell the finest mid-tier TV actors to name their price!"

"No, wait, that's too much."

Hey now, Emilia Clarke is at least on a high-tier TV show by virtue of being on HBO. And Lee Byung-hun is probably getting paid pretty well to try to shore up the Asian market.

Jai Courtney's probably a cheap quote, though.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

The Cameo posted:

Jai Courtney's probably a cheap quote, though.

He's a poor man's Sam Worthington, and since they already cast Worthington in the last film I guess they're happy to save a couple bucks.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Robert Patrick is doing John Cena movies ... they couldn't just have brought him back?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know why Jai Courtney keeps getting cast as male lead when the one thing he was really good in he was the sidekick.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

The Cameo posted:

That's still better than mediocre and "fan-pleasing"

That's literally what it looks like from here, though. It just look like bits of the first two films that people like the most.

I hate to say "at least Terminator Salvation" because I'd be loathed to defend it, but at least Terminator Salvation didn't look like a fanfilm version of 1 & 2. There's just nowhere to go with this, surely.

Props to Clarke for looking just like Hamilton (somehow) but oof this looks bad bad bad.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

I don't know why Jai Courtney keeps getting cast as male lead when the one thing he was really good in he was the sidekick.

Same people trying to make him a star are probably the same ones who tried to make Ryan Reynolds and Taylor Kitsch leading men.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I can't tell if you're referring to Spartacus or Jack Reacher, but at the same time, both apply.

echoplex posted:

That's literally what it looks like from here, though. It just look like bits of the first two films that people like the most.

I hate to say "at least Terminator Salvation" because I'd be loathed to defend it, but at least Terminator Salvation didn't look like a fanfilm version of 1 & 2. There's just nowhere to go with this, surely.

Fair point.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So what exactly will the 11th Doctor be doing?

I can dig the idea that the time travel shenanigans from the previous films has seriously hosed up the timeline and created a mish-mash of things due to its nature as a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff, but this entire things just looks like a generic "blockbuster" movie that brings nothing new to the table. It just looks dreary. That said, the T-1000 chopping off a bit of his arm and chucking it like a javelin was pretty neat and makes perfect sense.

Anyways, here's a trailer for a film that's apparently actually pretty good.

http://youtu.be/4CWkZ0CUOdM

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Emilia Clarke looks and sounds pretty convincing. I'm a little intrigued. If Arnold actually acts like a robot again this time, I'm interested.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Vagabundo posted:

Anyways, here's a trailer for a film that's apparently actually pretty good.

http://youtu.be/4CWkZ0CUOdM

That looks pretty great, honestly.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Edit: nevermind.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm not clear about the name, is it just called '71?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

All they're missing is an Hasta La Vista, Baby. Then it will have everything already done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

I'm not clear about the name, is it just called '71?

Yes.

It came out in the UK earlier this year to near universal praise.

• Locked thread