Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Does anyone other than LG have OLED TVs? If they're as good as everyone says they are, why was LG the only one to have them for so long? Patents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ynglaur posted:

Does anyone other than LG have OLED TVs? If they're as good as everyone says they are, why was LG the only one to have them for so long? Patents?

They are expensive to make. LG has been doing it for so long they already have production facilities.

Samsung made them for about 6 months and then got out of the market.

For a while everyone making oled tv's will be buying lg panels.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Well, this little guy will be showing up some time Monday. I was able to get them to give me the black friday price :)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-75-class-74-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-3d-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/2639137.p?id=1219551828395&skuId=2639137

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Panasonic is jumping into oled, but they're using lg panels

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
And they're even more expensive than the LG stuff.

http://www.whathifi.com/panasonic/tx-65cz952b/review

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Any recommendations for a 65" tv, used mostly for DVD/Bluray/Netflix Amazon streaming? Only the FireTV and OTA antenna will be connected to it. Budget is around 1300 give or take.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

busfahrer posted:

I'm trying out the 3D of my Samsung TV with Samsung shutter glasses, so a fairly standard affair.

In general it is fine, but now I noticed that objects that are very much in the front (subtitles as well) have the ghosting effect where you can see both halves of the image offset against another. :v:

I went into the settings of my TV, the only one I can change is "3D perspective" - if I set this to -1, the object in the front is sharp again. However, I noticed that the pillar in the background only is really sharp if I set this slider to +3.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this expected? Since the TV seems to autodetect which kind of mode (Left/Right etc) is needed, I can't change these.

Also, the Samsung guide lists 2-6 meters as the viewing distance. I'm at 2 meters, maybe 1.9 - I don't think I'm too close, and moving backwards doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any thoughts on this?

I have a Sony with active 3D and it's the same. It's worthless. I don't know if we both have broken TVs, but yeah, exactly the same for me. Unusable.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Parlett316 posted:

Any recommendations for a 65" tv, used mostly for DVD/Bluray/Netflix Amazon streaming? Only the FireTV and OTA antenna will be connected to it. Budget is around 1300 give or take.

You can snag a 2015 Vizio M65 for $1498 right now, and can probably find it cheaper on BF. Plus, it'll be pretty solid for the price.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

mediaphage posted:

You can snag a 2015 Vizio M65 for $1498 right now, and can probably find it cheaper on BF. Plus, it'll be pretty solid for the price.

Thanks. Visiting the local Big Screen gimmick store tonight to look around as well.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You might try to sneak into a 65" Sony x810c if you can find a sale.

Cracker Baron
Dec 23, 2003

mediaphage posted:

I think Best Buy is taking it down to 999 for Black Friday. That's a steal - it's a good set.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Why the heck is it so hard to find HDMI 2.0 cables? Every review on amazon has a few people saying how its not really 2.0 and can't do UHD at 60 Hz.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Knifegrab posted:

Why the heck is it so hard to find HDMI 2.0 cables? Every review on amazon has a few people saying how its not really 2.0 and can't do UHD at 60 Hz.

As long as it supports 18gbps it will work. There are no HDMI 2.0 cables.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
What's the expected price area for a decent ~50in 1080 TV? Mostly used for watching a Roku and some gaming, but I'm not going to go full sperg on the refresh rate. Good enough is good enough.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

dupersaurus posted:

What's the expected price area for a decent ~50in 1080 TV? Mostly used for watching a Roku and some gaming, but I'm not going to go full sperg on the refresh rate. Good enough is good enough.

$500. Wirecutter has a guide to read about them.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Most of my knowledge of LED-LCD TVs comes from computer monitor buying... My general impression is that TV manufacturers fudge their tech spec numbers a bit more. How reliable are, for example, view angle numbers? I'm going to set up a TV in my living room, but I'd like to be able to also watch it from the kitchen, where there will be a pretty steep angle to deal with. Unless I buy one of those wall mounts that can rotate, I guess?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Instead of spending like $30 on some dumb kit for bias lighting I could just tape some USB powered clear Christmas lights to the back of my TV right?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

goferchan posted:

Instead of spending like $30 on some dumb kit for bias lighting I could just tape some USB powered clear Christmas lights to the back of my TV right?

Yes?

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I'm looking into picking up a 55" TV (or something around that size depending on price and bang for buck) for a second living room in a new house.This TV would be my main TV for gaming (Xbox One, possibly PS4 in the future) so all I really care about is having a solid 1080p screen. Would of course also be watching TV and the occasional movie. I don't really care about 4K content.

Costco is currently selling a Samsung 55" UN55J620DAFXZA for $549, and as near as I can tell it is pretty much the same model as the UN55J6200 on Amazon currently at $700.

At the same time I could go up a couple hundred in price to get a lager set as Costco currently has the Vizio E65-C3 65-Inch at $879 ($948 on Amazon).

Anyone have any input on these sets, or alternatives, for 1080p set? I'm keeping my eye for Black Friday sales as well, but with so many sales out there it is hard to pinpoint which set would work for what I'm looking for.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If you can find a good deal on the Sony X810C 55" I highly recommend it. It's great for video games too.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I like bigger tvs so I would get the 65" tv, but it depends entirely on the room. So only you can decide.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

sellouts posted:

I like bigger tvs so I would get the 65" tv, but it depends entirely on the room. So only you can decide.

Honestly I'm sure I'd probably enjoy having a larger TV too. Maybe I'm being too conservative thinking about the space (we haven't moved in yet) and a 65" would fit well. Just found the 60" Vizio E60-C3 on Best Buy for $728 which looks like it would be a good middle of the road option between those other two sizes. One more HDMI input than the Samsung TVs as well.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

So I just ordered the 65" LG OLED and I can't seem to find an answer to this question anywhere on the web: Do I need to get something like the FireTV in order to stream 4k Netflix/Amazon content or will the TV be able to do it with the internal Netflix app?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I recently picked up a Sharp 70" (LC-70UE30U) and none of the apps will display video, specifically Netflix and Hulu. There's sound, and the station graphic overlay and ratings overlay appears (Fox logo, adult swim logo, TV 13, etc.) but there's no video playback, just a black screen. Blu-ray player shows picture. Factory reset didn't help. Anyone experience anything like this?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Jarmak posted:

So I just ordered the 65" LG OLED and I can't seem to find an answer to this question anywhere on the web: Do I need to get something like the FireTV in order to stream 4k Netflix/Amazon content or will the TV be able to do it with the internal Netflix app?

Use the built in apps

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Not earth shattering news, but I just got an email that apparently LG now has "Roku TV's" (as opposed to just TCL).

65" is $999 for a limited time: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-c...08339601291218-

55" is $549 for a limited time: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-c...08339601291217-

Interesting partnership since LG has really done a great job with their integrated systems (and marketed the poo poo out of it).

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
My father in law is asking if the LG65UF6490 is a good deal for $979 at costco.

I told him it seems like a good deal, but that a 1080p vizio for roughly the same price might be a better choice.

Reading through the thread is sorta helpful, but is seems like prices and models change weekly.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
He should be looking at 4Ks at that price point.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

LmaoTheKid posted:

If you can find a good deal on the Sony X810C 55" I highly recommend it. It's great for video games too.
Is $1k a good deal? That's what BB/Amazon have it for right now. I want to say that's the lowest it's been but it's still a grand so I hesitate.

This is upgrading a 40" RP LCD (720p woo!) so pretty much anything will be an upgrade.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Zachack posted:

Is $1k a good deal? That's what BB/Amazon have it for right now. I want to say that's the lowest it's been but it's still a grand so I hesitate.

This is upgrading a 40" RP LCD (720p woo!) so pretty much anything will be an upgrade.

It might go lower for Xmas/Black Friday maybe? I paid about a grand for mine and after a week and a half I'm really glad I got it.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
What is the best way to calibrate the picture on my TV? The only peripheral I use is AppleTV and most guides I see recommend using a Blu Ray or DVD.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

dexter6 posted:

What is the best way to calibrate the picture on my TV? The only peripheral I use is AppleTV and most guides I see recommend using a Blu Ray or DVD.

Download the thx app and airplay it to your atv.

If you dont watch BD, then you dont need to use one to calibrate

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Cornjob posted:

Download the thx app and airplay it to your atv.
Wow, what a great app. Thanks!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

dexter6 posted:

Hook a pc up to it and use AVS HD 709. You can do sharpness, brightness, and contrast. You will need a blue gel to do tint or color and a meter to do more advanced 2 and 10pt calibration.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Need recommendations for a general use TV in the 65-70" range, budget is $2k. 4k not a must.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

hamsystem posted:

Need recommendations for a general use TV in the 65-70" range, budget is $2k. 4k not a must.

You have pretty much pick of the litter of the upper echelon of 4K TVs at that budget. Samsung UN65JS8500 and the Sony XBR-65X850C are pretty much interchangeable and incredible. You're still about a grand short of being able to buy a good 1080p OLED, so don't fret about that.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Vizio M55-C2 55" is $850 on Amazon. Samsung UN55JS8500 is $1500. We're a Samsung house and I'm really trying to convince myself to leap on the Samsung to replace my dead Samsung but everything I'm hearing about the Vizio M, plus that price point, makes it difficult. Is there any reason whatsoever to aim towards the Samsung?

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Slowhanded posted:

You have pretty much pick of the litter of the upper echelon of 4K TVs at that budget. Samsung UN65JS8500 and the Sony XBR-65X850C are pretty much interchangeable and incredible. You're still about a grand short of being able to buy a good 1080p OLED, so don't fret about that.

I've had really awesome luck with Samsung, so I think we're gonna snag that one. Thanks.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Golbez posted:

Vizio M55-C2 55" is $850 on Amazon. Samsung UN55JS8500 is $1500. We're a Samsung house and I'm really trying to convince myself to leap on the Samsung to replace my dead Samsung but everything I'm hearing about the Vizio M, plus that price point, makes it difficult. Is there any reason whatsoever to aim towards the Samsung?

The Samsung is a best-in-class 4k TV. The Vizio is an excellent value purchase. That's all it boils down to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Man I can't wait until a nice OLED 4K TV is under $2000 for a 55".