Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

Sweet, it looks like a modern Shadow Watch and I am always happy to support Klei's cool games streak.
That reminds me that Shadow Watch works on Windows 7 with minimal effort and I should try to play it more.

Dex looks drat amazing but yeah, only core game stuff is in it, no story/missions to speak off. When is Wasteland 2 going gold?
I really need to peek through the older EA games to see if any are worth picking up now.
EA games I do have and can report on:
-Space Engineers is super excellent. Easily on par with Prison Architect and KSP on how EA should work.
-Running With Rifles is slowly moving along but even then feels pretty complete for :10bux: apart from one thing: I need to check on though is if you can play Vs Online Campaign, before all the humans had to be on the same side. There's a bit of mod support for it now too.
-Prison Architect is still chugging along too. It's by the Uplink/Defcon guys so it's not going to be dropped and forgotten.
-Spacebase DF-9 is also chugging along slowly too. Pretty sure Double Fine have actually said this is a back-burner game they work on though.
-Planet Explorers is a thing I guess. I've play a chunk of it but I haven't reached the end of content like others have so I'm not too sure about it. I waste my time on building dumb superguns and silly cars.
-The Golf Club got it's official release. A drat pretty looking golf sim with an easy to use course editor.
Only EA game I remember I have being burned by is StarForge. They're still kind doing something with it I think maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Wasteland 2 is coming out September 19th.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

On GreenManGaming today:

Bioshock Infinite - $7.49
Elder Scrolls: Skyrim - $4.99
The Orange Box - $4.99
GTA Vice City - $2.49

How's Bioshock Infinite? I remember playing the first game until about half and then forgot about it.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Are there any reliable HD texture/mods for Bully: Scholarship Edition that goons recommend?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I can't stop playing Saints Row 4. Please send help!

Edit: Honestly I think I prefer it over 3. I especially love the Sidequest System. "Complete these tasks, get a reward" In three it felt like the activities were almost aimless

gmq posted:

How's Bioshock Infinite? I remember playing the first game until about half and then forgot about it.

It's worth it I say. i still like it.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 20, 2014

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Bioshock Triple pack, including infinite is 10 dollars right now on steam.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Bioshock Infinite is not the revolutionary jaw dropping game that the reviews made it out to be but it also isn't the irredeemable garbage people describe it as. It's a mediocre game with great environment design and really bad story if you actually stop and think about it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Palpek posted:

really bad story if you actually stop and think about it.

- Every video game ever

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gmq posted:

It's a legit Bioshock game but the story is really goofy and has problems. I understand completely what they were going for, from a design standpoint (thrust the player into a war they have to fight through, having two sides means more enemy types), but they made some bad story decisions to get to that point. Also the ending is kind of unintentionally hilarious.

The important thing is that the shotgun is pretty good, which is the only important thing a shooter needs.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
So I'm kind of new to steam. If I get Skyrim now instead of the legendary edition, how would getting the rest of the dlc on sale work? Could I buy the legendary edition on sale and remove the core game or something?

Tldr: should I get Skyrim now or wait for the legendary edition to go on sale.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ceaselessfuture posted:

So I'm kind of new to steam. If I get Skyrim now instead of the legendary edition, how would getting the rest of the dlc on sale work? Could I buy the legendary edition on sale and remove the core game or something?

Tldr: should I get Skyrim now or wait for the legendary edition to go on sale.

Wait for the Legendary Edition.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait for the Legendary Edition.

This. The dlc hasn't gone on sale since it came out.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Holy poo poo I love your new avatar.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mokinokaro posted:

This. The dlc hasn't gone on sale since it came out.

it's completely loving bullshit that that's the case. I will never play Dragonborn as a result.
:argh:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Palpek posted:

Bioshock Infinite is not the revolutionary jaw dropping game that the reviews made it out to be but it also isn't the irredeemable garbage people describe it as. It's a mediocre game with great environment design and really bad story if you actually stop and think about it.

Its an interesting super polished AAA shooter with more focus on story then 99% of other AAA games (save Deus Ex HR). It's worth a play through for the experience, but via a rental or $5 at most.

It's also got the 1999 mode for people obsessed with the superhard FPS PC games of the late 90s.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Palpek posted:

You don't really need to think about it. The game stood squarely on the art design alone. If it didn't have that no one would have given a poo poo and probably would have received the same kind of meandering treatment Bioshock 2 received from critics. This guy's review kind of mirrors my own opinion, even though he can kind of nitpick in his videos.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Palpek posted:

Which is why the proper way to play the game is just to look around and marvel at the pretty visuals, shoot a bunch of guys, spam your magical vigor powers and then put the game away and forget about it. It's been described as a "Disney Theme Park Ride" and that's exactly what it is and how you should approach it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
How bad is the DRM is GalCiv II? There's some complaining about it in the negative Steam reviews.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Okay, I actually have something to post now. Eldrich is the daily deal at $2.99. Worth it if you are interested at all in the game. The difficulty is a little uneven; I can speedrun the first chapter, but the second chapter always kicks my rear end. It's also gotten two free updates since it was released, the Mountains of Madness and the Asylum. I don't think the dev ever promised continued development, but he seems to add to it periodically.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I just want to say that all the timeshifted music in Bioshock Infinite is rad. Game is pretty and pretty okay, well worth the < $10 asking price.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

Which is why the proper way to play the game is just to look around and marvel at the pretty visuals, shoot a bunch of guys, spam your magical vigor powers and then put the game away and forget about it. It's been described as a "Disney Theme Park Ride" and that's exactly what it is and how you should approach it.
That's how I treat a lot of "AAA" games and I enjoy them more when I go into them with that expectation.

Orv
May 4, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

How bad is the DRM is GalCiv II? There's some complaining about it in the negative Steam reviews.

It's just the registration thing for the game, which will occasionally implode. Typically during sales like this.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Adding another abandoned game to the Some-Subset-Of-Goons-Will-Recommend-Literally-Everything pile.

Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Whatever: bog standard hack and slash tripe akin to stuff i played and grew tired of back in the PS1 days. Not even worth the buck i spent on it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think there are some good ideas in Infinite, it's just as the game goes on it becomes clear that the writers aren't that interested in them.

And then the DLC happens and removes any doubt about that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

spudsbuckley posted:

Adding another abandoned game to the Some-Subset-Of-Goons-Will-Recommend-Literally-Everything pile.

Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Whatever: bog standard hack and slash tripe akin to stuff i played and grew tired of back in the PS1 days. Not even worth the buck i spent on it.

Marlow Briggs was ok but the platforming was hit or miss and the block and roll were mostly useless making some areas a lot more annoying than they should be.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Drifter posted:

it's completely loving bullshit that that's the case. I will never play Dragonborn as a result.
:argh:

They have gone on sale repeatedly. Dragonborn was $5 in the Christmas sale.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

BigRed0427 posted:

I can't stop playing Saints Row 4. Please send help!

Edit: Honestly I think I prefer it over 3. I especially love the Sidequest System. "Complete these tasks, get a reward" In three it felt like the activities were almost aimless

It's worth it I say. i still like it.

Saints Row 3 to Saints Row 4 was like night and day to me. With SR3 they removed the grounded aspects of the second in the interest of being "SOOOO WACKY!" but they didn't have fun gameplay to back it up. It didn't help that it has a completely incomprehensible story and kills off the best character in the series off-screen in the first 5 minutes.

4 sticks with the same wackiness but it actually has the gameplay to back it up and its story is wonderful and full of fanservice. As a fan of the series since the first game (I'm the one guy that loved the original Saints Row) I felt like it was a love letter to Saints Row as a whole.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

In other news I was playing Hitman: Absolution. I wasn't impressed by it. In fact, the opening level really turned me off. Why did the woman you were suppose to kill have to be naked? I get the feeling I am suppose to be turned on by looking at a dying woman covered in nothing in a towel and...just no.

And why did we feel a 1960 Hippie Commune was needed as part of a police chase. You might as well have made Time Travel part of the story.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 20, 2014

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Jimbot posted:

You don't really need to think about it. The game stood squarely on the art design alone. If it didn't have that no one would have given a poo poo and probably would have received the same kind of meandering treatment Bioshock 2 received from critics. This guy's review kind of mirrors my own opinion, even though he can kind of nitpick in his videos.

Matthew Matosis is one of my favorites. He plays a game several times over, takes notes, looks at what was previewed, all sorts of poo poo before critiquing a game. The nitpicky stuff he gets into, IMO, tends to be stuff that most gaming journos give a pass because "that's video games". Sometimes not even consciously because their entire job is to be the conductor of the prerelase hype train and they can't seem to step outside that when actually playing the game.

Bioshock Infinite was fun but holy gently caress the various previews and hour long video interviews with Ken Levine did not reflect the final game at all. Mechanically, thematically, or storywise.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Fair enough. Nitpick was kind of the wrong word to use. I do applaud his thoroughness, though. I honestly think his MGS and Zelda videos are probably the best things he has done. Those were very good.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

BigRed0427 posted:

In other news I was playing Hitman: Absolution. I wan't impressed by it. In fact, the opening level really turned me off. Why did the woman you were suppose to kill have to be naked? I get the feeling I am suppose to be turned on by looking at a dying woman covered in nothing in a towel and...just no.

And why did we feel a 1960 Hippie Commune was needed as part of a police chase. You might as well have made Time Travel part of the story.

Hitman was never known for it's story. and I'm not excusing what Absolution did. It's a different team then the original and they "try" to make a story and well as by your reaction, they did a hilariously bad job.

If you aren't liking it, I say go with Blood Money if you ever get the chance.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

BigRed0427 posted:

In other news I was playing Hitman: Absolution. I wan't impressed by it. In fact, the opening level really turned me off. Why did the woman you were suppose to kill have to be naked? I get the feeling I am suppose to be turned on by looking at a dying woman covered in nothing in a towel and...just no.

I never understood why they felt the need to include much of a story in the Hitman games. You are a genetically modified human that just happens to be a really goddamn good Hitman. Give the man some work, that's all I ask.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bioshock 2 owns, hard.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Orv posted:

It's just the registration thing for the game, which will occasionally implode. Typically during sales like this.

There's a ridiculous part after making your useless stardock account where the game generates an activation text file which you then need to upload to stardock's website at which point I went NOPE and just pirated a copy of this game I have two legal licenses for.

Snackula fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 20, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Blood Money and Contracts are the only Hitman games that are really worth playing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Snackula posted:

There's a ridiculous part after making your useless stardock account where the game generates an activation text file which you then need to upload to stardock's website at which point I went NOPE and just pirated a copy of this game I have two legal licenses for.

What the gently caress? That's definitely new then, because it sure wasn't like that for years. In that case yeah, gently caress that.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Snackula posted:

:eyepop:

Haha, how paranoid/insane do you have to be to expect paying customers to do this? I'm just seeing some Stardock manager with all these activation codes on his basement wall, connected with red string.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

BigRed0427 posted:

In other news I was playing Hitman: Absolution. I wasn't impressed by it. In fact, the opening level really turned me off. Why did the woman you were suppose to kill have to be naked? I get the feeling I am suppose to be turned on by looking at a dying woman covered in nothing in a towel and...just no.

Give me a more polished Blood Money with fun levels and I will buy the franchise till the cows come home.

SynthOrange posted:

I'd buy that for a dollar!

:hfive:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Zombie Samurai posted:

Okay, I actually have something to post now. Eldrich is the daily deal at $2.99. Worth it if you are interested at all in the game. The difficulty is a little uneven; I can speedrun the first chapter, but the second chapter always kicks my rear end. It's also gotten two free updates since it was released, the Mountains of Madness and the Asylum. I don't think the dev ever promised continued development, but he seems to add to it periodically.

Cool, I came into the thread to ask about this very thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

monster on a stick posted:

The Stardock site has it without DRM.

• Locked thread