Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

merk posted:

If the 1986 Barry Bonds went into baseball today (without any steroids available), I think he'd be the best baseball player of our generation after a couple years. Although his stat line is really impressive, steroids ruined him.

HOT TAKE: Wade Boggs is the best baseball player of the last generation.

edit: Wade Boggs consistently hit over .300 but never won the MVP title because he didn't take steroids hit home runs.

Sorry merk, chicks dig the long ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

JakeP posted:

But to call Mike Trout best of our generation is a stretch. ARods early career was comparable to Mike Trout and had great longevity. Mike Trout would have to have a very consistent career to be better than him. Sure you can say steroids, but thats a cop out, the pitcers were roided up too

Yeah, you're right. If Trout stays healthy, I think he does it though.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

merk posted:

Yeah, you're right. If Trout stays healthy, I think he does it though.

Trout is also mad fun to watch.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I am still bitter that I could have essentially drafted Trout on my all keepers dynasty fantasy baseball league, and would have just given up the draft pick used to get Julio Tehran and some middling player I probably dropped since then

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

Trout is also mad fun to watch.

You're talking about a baseball player right? Cause if he plays baseball he's probably actually super boring to watch

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Magnus Gallant posted:

You're talking about a baseball player right? Cause if he plays baseball he's probably actually super boring to watch

I see your confusion Magnus, you see instead of being boring and bad, baseball is fun and good.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I do have on major problem with Mike Trout, he is right handed and I don't much care for that sort.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Baseball is good to watch on television, if you are an idiot

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

I see your confusion Magnus, you see instead of being boring and bad, baseball is fun and good.

Speaking of me being confused. . .

Can anyone in this thread prove to me why 0/0 is not equal to 1?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Because zeroes?

I dunno, math is kind of ridiculous.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Tremendous Taste posted:

People who say baseball is fun to play but boring to watch are idiots that like parroting cliches.

Even if you are playing baseball you spend half the game watching it

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Limits of x/x as x approaches 0 means it is undefined. You should google for an in depth answer.

Sin(0)=0, and sin(0)/0 = 1. it's got to do with how quickly sin(x) approaches zero as x approaches 0. but if you have x/x they approach equally and you end up with it being undefined.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Magnus Gallant posted:

Speaking of me being confused. . .

Can anyone in this thread prove to me why 0/0 is not equal to 1?

Because the definition of division is How do you split X things among Y groups (X/Y) and if there are 0 groups, there is no way to actually divide so the equation 0/0 is invalid

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Allen Wren posted:

Because zeroes?

I dunno, math is kind of ridiculous.

1/1=1
2/2=1
3/3=1
X/X=1

0/0=1

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
yes. The answer is: maths.

The other answer is why would you watch notoriously bad sport baseball when you can watch the most amazing spectacle on earth, which is Ashes cricket.

Think on that, american'ts

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Magnus Gallant posted:

1/1=1
2/2=1
3/3=1
X/X=1

0/0=1

YOU DUMB rear end in a top hat YOU BROKE MATH

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Amoeba102 posted:

Limits of x/x as x approaches 0 means it is undefined. You should google for an in depth answer.

Sin(0)=0, and sin(0)/0 = 1. it's got to do with how quickly sin(x) approaches zero as x approaches 0. but if you have x/x they approach equally and you end up with it being undefined.

Nice this reminds me of calc in high school. This is jogging my memory.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Baseball is a good sport if you watch a lot of it. I do admit there is a hell of a learning curve on it.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

JakeP posted:

People who say baseball is fun to play but boring to watch are idiots that like parroting cliches.

Even if you are playing baseball you spend half the game watching it

it is not fun to play

it's fun to attend in-park

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Magnus Gallant posted:

1/1=1
2/2=1
3/3=1
X/X=1

0/0=1

put it in terms of reality though and don't just use "golden rules" taught to you in elementry school.

Split Evenly

Gum/Dudes

1 / 1 = 1 each

2 / 2 = 1 each

0/0 = doesn't work since there aren't any people to give gum to (it is irrelevant if there is 0 gum or 1 million gum if there are 0 recipients for the gum to be split to)

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Tremendous Taste posted:

No.

busb posted:

The other answer is why would you watch notoriously bad sport baseball when you can watch the most amazing spectacle on earth, which is Ashes cricket.

Bahahahah no.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

YOU DUMB rear end in a top hat YOU BROKE MATH

I'm just your average Joe Blow and here's 10 ways I broke math:

1. 1/1=1

Click here for the next slide

Magnus Gallant fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 7, 2015

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Tremendous Taste posted:

it is not fun to play

it's fun to attend in-park

Baseball is one of the best games to see live, yeah (soccer is also amazing to watch live).

Baseball is fun to play if you are good at baseball. *flexes, kisses biceps*

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
2. 2/2=1

Click here for next slide

Magnus Gallant fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 7, 2015

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Baseball is just great to watch to play or to spreadsheet

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

busb posted:

If I had my druthers, I'd be watching MLB and the Ashes. Only one of them is on my cable plan.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

JakeP posted:

Baseball is just great to watch to play or to spreadsheet

This is correct.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

for example, when chris collabello was tearing it up earlier this year in the IL, I would make sure to yell as loudly as possible "YOU'RE ALMOST OUT OF HERE" and the like at every at bat

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

game attendance enjoyment index

1) NHL
2) NFL
3) MLS
4) MLB
5) NBA

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

put it in terms of reality though and don't just use "golden rules" taught to you in elementry school.

Split Evenly

Gum/Dudes

1 / 1 = 1 each

2 / 2 = 1 each

0/0 = doesn't work since there aren't any people to give gum to (it is irrelevant if there is 0 gum or 1 million gum if there are 0 recipients for the gum to be split to)

Yeah but if you take nothing and divide it by nothing you get 1 nothing. Which is still nothing.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Reasons cricket is great: highwire sends me a jog of the Australian scorecard in the middle of the night after we have been demolished harder than any team in more than 100 years or something.

How many times has highwire done that to you about baseball?????

Keane is disqualified from answering this

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I played a game of cricket once without bothering to listen to the rules and it was pretty fun

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Tremendous Taste posted:

I played a game of cricket once without bothering to listen to the rules and it was pretty fun

Your mother was very fun and I didn't listen to a word she said as well

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I started actually looking it up

x/x as x approaches 0 is 1, but 0/0 is called an indeterminant because you can have x^2/x, x/x, x/x^3 which all would be 0/0 as x approaches 0, and they would evaluate as 0, 1, infinity. SO it's confusing. Usually you'd use the derivatives and limits to determine the value, so hmmm.

f(x)/g(x) as x approaches 0 = f'(x)/g'(x) as x approaches 0; x/x as x -> 0 = 1/1 as x approaches 0. Yeah checks out 0/0 is 1 by L'hoptials rule. All i remember was the sin(x)/x example, I swear x/x was taught to me as not being determined.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Magnus Gallant posted:

Your mother was very fun and I didn't listen to a word she said as well

I have two dads :confused:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tremendous Taste posted:

game attendance enjoyment index

1) NHL
2) NFL
3) MLS
4) MLB
5) NBA

I disagree, for the simple fact that without video monitors showing you basically what you'd see on TV, trying to watch an NFL game in the stadium is like watching ants gently caress.

Hockey is legit the best live, though.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

0/0 is meaningless on it's own, it has to be part of an formula expression.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

I disagree, for the simple fact that without video monitors showing you basically what you'd see on TV, trying to watch an NFL game in the stadium is like watching ants gently caress.

Hockey is legit the best live, though.

If you can get decent tickets in the lower bowl without selling your organs, you can mix anticipation with a decent understanding of the game to follow it

I imagine that's near impossible for NFL/NCAA in texas though

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

busb posted:

Reasons cricket is great: highwire sends me a jog of the Australian scorecard in the middle of the night after we have been demolished harder than any team in more than 100 years or something.

How many times has highwire done that to you about baseball?????

Keane is disqualified from answering this

wtf is highwire
wtf is a jog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Tremendous Taste posted:

I have two dads :confused:

Do you have any pets?