Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ligur posted:

Banning pieces of clothing is not going to achieve much in the greater good of the world.

You guys have been going on about that for 10 pages? :stonk:

I think it's more about how these small things always seem to snowball very quickly.

But still you make a good point and act as the voice of reason here.

This is it.

This is where we're at, now. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ligur posted:

Banning pieces of clothing is not going to achieve much in the greater good of the world.

You guys have been going on about that for 10 pages? :stonk:

Now I'm confused, isn't this the kind of thing you'd usually get behind? Why not here? :confused:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Andrast posted:

See people, even the resident finnish hitlernazi recognizes that this is a bad idea.

Well the other thing is that I find it unbelievable there is a vast contingent of posters who cannot get around the idea that "if someone disagrees with MY opinion about migration, he must be a racist, satan HITLER-NAZI" which is quite ridiculous.

Of course not, if you live in your own internet echo chamber where almost everyone agrees, then you can gang up on the lone poster who disagreed and bask in the light of your moral supremacy with ur smart posting buddies :stonklol:

MiddleOne posted:

Now I'm confused, isn't this the kind of thing you'd usually get behind? Why not here? :confused:

No I'm not and I have not ever been. Because you are you, you just bundle me (and anyone who disagrees with a certain position vis a vis migration) = hitlernazi. If you just read posts and listened to people you would know this isn't a common position or supported by "what u would get behind".

Ligur fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 16, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ligur posted:

Well the other thing is that I find it unbelievable there is a vast contingent of posters who cannot get around the idea that "if someone disagrees with MY opinion about migration, he must be a racist, satan HITLER-NAZI" which is quite ridiculous.

Of course not, if you live in your own internet echo chamber where almost everyone agrees, then you can gang up on the lone poster who disagreed and bask in the light of your moral supremacy with ur smart posting buddies :stonklol:

It was supposed to be a joke since you get accused of that a lot.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Andrast posted:

It supposed to be a joke.

It seriously doesn't seem to be a joke tbh.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Ligur do you think that passing laws targeted at minority groups will help them assimilate? I don't, also I find it disturbing considering Europe's history. Do you?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ligur posted:

It seriously doesn't seem to be a joke tbh.

I disagree with you on most things but I really don't think you're a nazi or anything.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
What about the lack of real birthright citizen ship in many countries? Do you think that helps them assimilate?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

freelancemoth posted:

Doesn't a ban "expose" the traditional values to women in these situations so that they can start to question their own situation in life?

It really doesn't.

freelancemoth
Apr 28, 2014

drilldo squirt posted:

What about the lack of real birthright citizen ship in many countries? Do you think that helps them assimilate?

What do you mean by "assimilate"? Or do you mean integrate?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

drilldo squirt posted:

Ligur do you think that passing laws targeted at minority groups will help them assimilate? I don't, also I find it disturbing considering Europe's history. Do you?

You are one of the worst thread shitters in this, uhh, thread, with your incessant screaming about race (I know you have some issues with that, just don't project that on other people, try not to do that even once though you feel you can't help as a "test run"), so this is the first and last time I will reply to you, but I don't think banning clothing will help anyone assimilate. Neither do I think it will result in the second holohitelrcaust but it's just useless dabbling and reactionary... understandable perhaps from some POV, but not going to help more than maybe avoid another riot in a Corsican beach.

Andrast posted:

I disagree with you on most things but I really don't think you're a nazi or anything.

Ok that's a surprise.

freelancemoth
Apr 28, 2014

fishmech posted:

It really doesn't.

So what is the left wing solution then?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Majorian posted:

Which French people are you talking about - the white French majority, or all people living in France?
French people.

Majorian posted:

Nah, they're actually right. The fact that their views don't lead them to support bigoted laws targeted against already-oppressed minorities is pretty solid proof of that.
That doesn't follow at all. It's totally possible for a wrong viewpoint to come to the right conclusions in specific situations.

As for my own view on this subject, I'm seeing a lot of similarity with captialism. Neuter it enough, and people forget why it got neutered in the first place. Religion might be relatively harmless for many people in the West, but that's only because it doesn't have much political power. The moment it does, it's almost invariably a bad thing. (Even if it can serve a positive role among the politically weak groups, to increase cohesion and morale in the face of great opposition.)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

freelancemoth posted:

Don't.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The fact that you apparently don't understand the distinction is kind of emblematic of the problem. Ideally, "French people" = all citizens of France. In practice, "French people" = white non-immigrants only.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Majorian posted:

The fact that you apparently don't understand the distinction is kind of emblematic of the problem. Ideally, "French people" = all citizens of France. In practice, "French people" = white non-immigrants only.

Do you actually have any idea what the non-white population of France thinks about it or are you just projecting your own opinion onto them?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Majorian posted:

My point is that you divided Americans (you) and French people (the target audience) according to race, which is in no way a more valid approach than dividing according to target audience and cultural environment.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Majorian posted:

The biggest problem seems to be the equation of "someone systematically oppressed in every aspect of their life" with "I can't say what I want about dirty foreigners".

It reminds me of a similar thing going on right now in the US, where there's a large group of people equating "not being given preferential treatment on absolutely everything" with "unfair" because they're been the majority for so long.

That black person got the job I was applying for, he can't have been more qualified than me it must be the PC POLICE.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Andrast posted:

Do you actually have any idea what the non-white population of France thinks about it or are you just projecting your own opinion onto them?

I do know how discriminated Muslims in France feel, actually, because a lot of academic research has been conducted on the issue. Check out the Amnesty International study I posted earlier, or the one cited in this Washington Post article.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

freelancemoth posted:

If she can never leave her house because of a burka ban, doesn't it prove the point that "traditional values" oppress women?
Yes.

quote:

And so shouldn't leftists and/or marxists welcome such a ban given their strong anti-religious feeling? Or are womens rights circumstantional depending on the religion?
No.

So here's the thing that will hopefully help you understand the issue put forward here. The burqa, here, is presented by racists, militant secularists, etc. as a symbol of the oppression of women in traditional Islamic societies. That is a valid symbolism that you can realistically make. Some people will do that because they actually believe in that and want the emancipation of women from those repressive social structures. Some others will do it because it's an opportunity to rip on the brown people. Whatever the case, that is a valid interpretation of the burqa as a symbol. No-one is going to argue against that, and if they do, then they're idiots, because the ideology behind that mode of dress is inherently sexist anti-feministic bullshit, that you will find in most religions, and for all of those you can pick a relevant item and choose to use it to symbolise that. You can pick the Christian cross and say it's a symbol of traditional-value Christians like the guys in the quiverfull movement. You can take the magic underwear and say it's a symbol of Mormon sexism. You can do those things.

And now that I've said that, it should be very easy for you to see the other point of this argument, which is that banning or discriminating against those things will absolutely not help those communities adopt more progressive values. At best you could make the argument that it would force them to disconnect with their religion and so drop the ideological backbone behind their traditional values over generations, and you cannot prove it would accomplish that, nor can you claim it would be a victory for the progressive values, because lovely regressive behaviour is only symbolised by the object and is not embodied in it. A ban on the burqa is not going to make European muslims more secular, and it's not going to make them change how they treat women. The only thing you have left is a a vague hope that in the future their kids will go "yeah, whatever, I didn't grow up with burqas so idgaf"*. It's a feelgood measure.

And at the same time? You're doing harm. You are intervening in the lives of people who happily and by their own choice pick that mode of wear, and you put them through poo poo. You are prosecuting them for something they don't have a part in. Worse still, you're not even prosecuting them for that, but for something relevant to it that is nevertheless different. A woman wearing a burqa, in itself, is not being oppressed. A woman being forced to wear a burqa is. But you don't care for the latter, only for the former. So instead of letting people choose what they want to wear themselves by freeing the woman being forced to wear the burqa from that obligation you instead force every woman to wear something else. You are being the patronising figure here, telling others what's good for them rather than freeing them from their traditional values to choose for themselves.

This is not even touching on how racists latch on to those things to discriminate against others. This is assuming "best intentions" from the person in favour of banning or discriminating against that symbol.

*And that poo poo doesn't even work, just look at the CPRF to see how well state atheism worked in the USSR for instance. Look at Turkey, which, if memory serves me right, since its inception had a ban on religious symbols in public services and see how well that's worked out for them. You instil secular values in a population by showing them that they can fulfil themselves through them, not by discriminating against them.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Ligur posted:

You are one of the worst thread shitters in this, uhh, thread, with your incessant screaming about race (I know you have some issues with that, just don't project that on other people, try not to do that even once though you feel you can't help as a "test run"), so this is the first and last time I will reply to you, but I don't think banning clothing will help anyone assimilate. Neither do I think it will result in the second holohitelrcaust but it's just useless dabbling and reactionary... understandable perhaps from some POV, but not going to help more than maybe avoid another riot in a Corsican beach.

Ok that's a surprise.

I don't see how telling people passing laws targeting minorities is racist can be called thread making GBS threads, but then again you're ligur.

freelancemoth
Apr 28, 2014

So no "Opium of the people" solution then?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Majorian posted:

I do know how discriminated Muslims in France feel, actually, because a lot of academic research has been conducted on the issue. Check out the Amnesty International study I posted earlier, or the one cited in this Washington Post article.

We're still talking about the comic and not discrimination in general, right?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Andrast posted:

I've been trying to talk about it in general but for some reason people keep focusing on certain issues.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

freelancemoth posted:

So no "Opium of the people" solution then?

Karl Marx posted:

Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Andrast posted:

As far as that particular comic is concerned, I don't know for certain how French Muslims feel about it. Given how discriminated they feel in general, though, I think it's pretty fair to surmise that they're not fans of being portrayed as monkeys.

e: Evidently the fact that it was satire wasn't much comfort to the boy's dad.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 16, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

freelancemoth posted:

Solution to what, the horror you have at seeing someone who's visibly Muslim? Stop being such a baby about clothes, that's the solution to that.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth

fishmech posted:

Solution to what, the horror you have at seeing someone who's visibly Muslim? Stop being such a baby about clothes, that's the solution to that.

I think he means how the left would stop patriarchal norms in immigrant groups, which are often somewhat intertwined with their religion.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Majorian posted:

"Treating them like adults with brains" = "seeing them as so untrustworthy that we can't allow them to wear hijabs or burqinis." Got it.

You must be confusing me with the nebulous mass of Those People you're arguing against, I'm commenting on how you preemptively want to shield people from the lifelong trauma of seeing a CH cartoon.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fox Cunning posted:

I think he means how the left would stop patriarchal norms in immigrant groups, which are often somewhat intertwined with their religion.

I don't think you can really do much to stop it besides giving people opportunities to make free choices while leading by example and making it clear that gender equality is (or should be) a fundamental principle of our society.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fox Cunning posted:

It's not really that difficult: create mechanisms for women to live as they want to live (whether that be in a conservative religious group or otherwise), and then let them come to the majority culture's values on their own volition. Trying to force them to assimilate just creates resistance and unintended consequences, like increased DAESH recruitment.

Andrast posted:

I don't think you can really do much to stop it besides giving people opportunities to make free choices while leading by example and making it clear that gender equality is (or should be) a fundamental principle of our society.

Exactly.

blowfish posted:

You must be confusing me with the nebulous mass of Those People you're arguing against, I'm commenting on how you preemptively want to shield people from the lifelong trauma of seeing a CH cartoon.

When did I ever say anything remotely resembling "CH should be censored"? I've been talking about a specific CH cartoon as a symptom of European xenophobia, and as something that furthers the marginalization of minority groups.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 16, 2016

freelancemoth
Apr 28, 2014

YF-23 posted:

And at the same time? You're doing harm. You are intervening in the lives of people who happily and by their own choice pick that mode of wear, and you put them through poo poo. You are prosecuting them for something they don't have a part in. Worse still, you're not even prosecuting them for that, but for something relevant to it that is nevertheless different. A woman wearing a burqa, in itself, is not being oppressed. A woman being forced to wear a burqa is. But you don't care for the latter, only for the former. So instead of letting people choose what they want to wear themselves by freeing the woman being forced to wear the burqa from that obligation you instead force every woman to wear something else. You are being the patronising figure here, telling others what's good for them rather than freeing them from their traditional values to choose for themselves.

A discriminatory clothing for women only so to protect her "modesty" is not sexist? And she is only wearing it because of her own "free will"? Sorry, but I cannot see how the left wing are supposed to be for womens rights when they relativise patriarchal oppression. Regardless of whatever the right is saying or doing.

(By the way, I am not for a burqa ban. I just want to explore how the left wing and right wing see the issue.)

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

freelancemoth posted:

A discriminatory clothing for women only so to protect her "modesty" is not sexist? And she is only wearing it because of her own "free will"? Sorry, but I cannot see how the left wing are supposed to be for womens rights when they relativise patriarchal oppression. Regardless of whatever the right is saying or doing.

That's because you're not even bothering to actually read what I'm saying. I can't help you if you cannot discern the difference between a woman being forced by her society to wear the burqa and a woman that chooses to do so on her own.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fox Cunning posted:

For starters, don't institute horribly patriarchal laws of your own, like declaring women can't wear clothing they want, because you're scared of seeing someone who isn't exactly the same as you.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth

Majorian posted:

It's not really that difficult: create mechanisms for women to live as they want to live (whether that be in a conservative religious group or otherwise), and then let them come to the majority culture's values on their own volition. Trying to force them to assimilate just creates resistance and unintended consequences, like increased DAESH recruitment.

I agree, it seems to have worked rather well when the influences from the mother country is weak from what I've seen. In enclaves with little cultural influence from the native culture I don't see the same development though, and forcing them to change will just breed antagonism as we've discussed. You do as your neighbors basically, at least to a degree.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

true.spoon posted:

These topics surrounding immigration and cultural identity are pretty interesting to me and it is clear that a better approach needs to be found in Europe. This makes it all the more unfortunate that the discussion always devolves quickly into a useless slapfight. I will try to untangle some of the fundamental cultural differences leading to seemingly irreconcilable points of view.
I write from a European (in particular German) perspective and will by necessity paint in broad strokes. So please keep the big picture in mind even if you disagree on some fine points of my generalizations.

First, I believe that the attitudes towards taboo symbols differ between the US and Europe. In general taboo symbols seem to be more powerful in America, making their usage much more divisive. This can be seen by the self-censorship and euphemisms surrounding these taboos, be it the beeping out of swear words on television, the self employed “beeping out” in online comments (“f*ck” etc.) or the many code words (“f-bomb”, “n-word”, etc. and even something as innocuous as “gosh”). Similar things exist in other countries but not nearly to the same extent in my experience.
Paradoxically, this could be one of the reasons for the power of these words: Usage tends to whittle down a taboo but with these euphemisms you can kind of invoke the power without taking away from the taboo. Sometimes also non-use can take away the power of the taboo, see for example the German “Neger” which just sounds too old fashioned to be taken seriously nowadays. Needless to say the code words also prevent this from happening.
The by far most potent example is of course the word “friend of the family”. Even typing it in the context of discussing its symbolic power will probably put me in suspicion of just looking for an excuse to use it out of edginess or racism. In an American context this might even be true, the word is just too powerful to be ever used in a casual way. But while I know about this strong taboo in the US, I have no visceral reaction to the word and therefore don't feel any glee about “getting away with using it”.*
In the same way, drawing a black person as a monkey becomes inherently racist in an American context, even if the intention of the message was to mock racist people (and even if the person displayed agrees with the message and the way it was communicated). In a sense the symbol becomes the thing.
It is true that some people employ racist or otherwise taboo imagery with racist intent to later claim other motives (as has been impressively displayed by Trump surrogates on TV in recent days), while the symbols are still understood by the target audience in their intended racist way. I believe that this possibility does not absolve oneself from looking at the context and deciding case by case, especially when dealing with messages from other cultures.

*A similar example would be how I, as a German, have a visceral reaction to Nazi symbols like the phrase “Heil Hitler”, leading to me not finding some of the Nazi jokes, the English so love, to be particularly funny.

In the second part I want to discuss cultural identity in the US and Europe, how they differ and how this relates to integration. Since the discussion is fast moving and I am slow, I wanted to post the first part before it becomes irrelevant again.
This is a very good post. There is such "materiality" of certain taboo symbols in every society in the sense that they cause an unavoidable gut reactions and it is precisely the job of the secular state to find some sort of regulation allowing a peaceful integration of different antagonistic elements of different cultures. To give an example, in my country Roma people still mainting at large the tradition of pre-arranged child marriage, with these marriages being consumed with the couple still underaged. While underaged marriages are obviously prohibited by law, outright imprisonment of parents and families enforcing the tradition are rare, resulting most time in null prison time sentences, as to not be too forceful in preventing this essencial tradition (although obviously very antagonistic with modern values) of the Roma community.

freelancemoth
Apr 28, 2014

YF-23 posted:

That's because you're not even bothering to actually read what I'm saying. I can't help you if you cannot discern the difference between a woman being forced by her society to wear the burqa and a woman that chooses to do so on her own.

But it is a tool of oppression, this is something you cannot get around. And by banning the burqa the society can evolve beyond "traditional values" and "cultural relativism". A society can declare what is acceptable, and what isn't.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

freelancemoth posted:

But it is a tool of oppression, this is something you cannot get around. And by banning the burqa the society can evolve beyond "traditional values" and "cultural relativism". A society can declare what is acceptable, and what isn't.

Because that has always worked out so well in the past.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

freelancemoth posted:

Banning the unfashionable clothes you hate isn't going to solve anything. I'm really quite sorry that it makes you freak out to see someone not dressed the same as you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

YF-23 posted:

This is such a regular argument from people that know no distinction between public and private discourse; so if leftists don't support the usage of the burqa according to their personal values they obviously should support the banning of it's public use in society without anymore thought. I hear this all the time in the form of the dumb quip about how if one is against the business practices of mega technological giant multinationals one should be against the personal use of apple smartphones or whatever, it's pretty dumb.