Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I just faced a Takumi of similar level to mine, and now I think mine is +Def/-Res. I guess I'm glad I didn't get -Atk or -Spd, but the -Res makes him even more fragile and the +Def doesn't really make up for it. On the other hand, I have Takumi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lutha Mahtin posted:

On the other hand, I have Takumi.

Far too many people losing sight of the big picture and fretting over the small things.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I have two. And a Hector. And a Nowi. All 5*. And that's only a half of my 5* characters.

Heavy is the crown. :smug:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Roger Explosion posted:

If I had a dollar for the number of times I've pulled Hinata's punchable face, I'd have enough dosh to buy more orbs and pull more loving Hinatas.

Worse is Hinata's voice, is his Heroes VA the same as Fates'? Because dear god it's screechy and grating.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
My last 20 F2P orbs got me 5 star Raven. I don't get why he doesn't have a ranged counter attack since in FE7 you hand him a hand axe on promotion and he'd slaughter waves on the enemy phase. Way more so than Hector with a hand axe. :shrug:

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Arena is confusing. So my score isn't cumulative. It's purely based of a win streak and difficulty.

I have been grinding out intermediates for quests/fun/score, and had a really good run. I thought my score was cumulative, but instead I just hit a new high score of ~2600.

Not bad, but so far I have not ranked. If I hit it hard and try for a win streak of 7 advanced battles, but fail and get a lower score, will my existing high score stand?

How much of a bonus are the bonus troops worth? I could make a team of 4 of them, but the easiest way would involve two reds. Not sure if I have a bonus blue except for the 2* starter.

E: holy poo poo Robin is scary!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

waffles beyond waffles posted:

Not bad, but so far I have not ranked. If I hit it hard and try for a win streak of 7 advanced battles, but fail and get a lower score, will my existing high score stand?

Your old score stands. Your weekly score is your highest scoring streek with a streek length cap of 7 wins

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
The amount of points you receive is also based on the combined stat totals of your team. If you're using lovely low level 2* units the stat totals will be lower, and so will your scores.

In order to score high, ideally you want to use level 40 units with high stat totals and you need to win all 7 advanced matches without losing a single unit. For most people this means using their best four-man 5* level 40 squad and aiming to go flawless (zero deaths) - my best runs I usually lose 2-3 total.

You'll probably need 3500+ offense points in order to get in the top 100,000 ranks.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

blizzardvizard posted:

Worse is Hinata's voice, is his Heroes VA the same as Fates'? Because dear god it's screechy and grating.

Yes to both. I think with the exception of Laslow, all the VAs from Awakening/Fates are the same.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

acumen posted:

The amount of points you receive is also based on the combined stat totals of your team. If you're using lovely low level 2* units the stat totals will be lower, and so will your scores.

Having the arena featured characters, however, also increases your score, so you may end up with more points with 2* starter siblings than a nice team with non-featured 5*'s!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yes to both. I think with the exception of Laslow, all the VAs from Awakening/Fates are the same.

Setsuna's VA was changed. Originally it was Julianne Alexander, now it's Conner Kelley. Luckily Kelley still has pretty hilarious delivery (she does Felicia too).

EDIT: Wait a minute, google is now telling me these two completely different names are the same person. What the gently caress.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 16, 2017

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

OddObserver posted:

Having the arena featured characters, however, also increases your score, so you may end up with more points with 2* starter siblings than a nice team with non-featured 5*'s!

Assuming you're actually masochistic enough to level three 2*s to 40 they're still going to give poo poo performance. Just focus on getting to 7 advanced wins with less than five deaths.

The top 100 teams don't even include any of the featured heroes.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

acumen posted:

Assuming you're actually masochistic enough to level three 2*s to 40 they're still going to give poo poo performance. Just focus on getting to 7 advanced wins with less than five deaths.

On the other hand, all the non-Alphonse starters are actually good units if you stick with them. Sharena is probably good enough to get on your Nino or Tharja centered team.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Especially considering that the only other infantry Blue melee that's regularly in top tiers is Azura. If Kagero falls out of use, Sharena (and maybe Oboro) could see more viability.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

acumen posted:

In order to score high, ideally you want to use level 40 units with high stat totals and you need to win all 7 advanced matches without losing a single unit. For most people this means using their best four-man 5* level 40 squad and aiming to go flawless (zero deaths) - my best runs I usually lose 2-3 total.

You'll probably need 3500+ offense points in order to get in the top 100,000 ranks.

Ah ok. I think Takumi is 31. I won't worry about it much until I get them to 40. I need 5* blue and green too.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

acumen posted:

The top 100 teams don't even include any of the featured heroes.

Is there a top 100 list somewhere?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

akulanization posted:

On the other hand, all the non-Alphonse starters are actually good units if you stick with them. Sharena is probably good enough to get on your Nino or Tharja centered team.

Sharena's probably just good enough in a vacuum, her buffs and debuffs are very strong and backed by very solid stats.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I got enough orbs to pull in the new banner and... I got 1 red 4 grays. Well, it could be a takumi.

It wasn't. Don't be like me. Take your single summon and eat the orb loss.

4* Roy, Wrys
3* Gaius, Saizo, Azama

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Eh, you could also roll Kagero who would be a great unit to have. Unless you really wanted a focus character I don't think it's a problem.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
All the starters are varying degrees of usable (my Sharena is 5* and an excellent unit). I'm just saying that using 2* starters just because they're featured units is bad advice.

I don't think there's a top 100 list anywhere but due to the nature of stat matching it's going to be mostly knights (Hector, Effie, Sheena, etc) and/or +10 units since they have the highest stat totals. Top 1000 is full-on whale territory though - I'd say top 5000-10000 is a good goal and obtainable for f2pers.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have a score of 4420 and that is barely keeping me below 5000.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

I have a score of 4420 and that is barely keeping me below 5000.

If last week is anything to go by, you're gonna settle somewhere in the 5000-5100 range by the end of the arena. :(

(It's me, I was you last week)

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Yeah, I dropped from 40k to 70k by the end of last week :(

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

If last week is anything to go by, you're gonna settle somewhere in the 5000-5100 range by the end of the arena. :(

(It's me, I was you last week)

I know. That basically happened to me as well. I still end up with 4100 feathers so it isn't all bad.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

akulanization posted:

Alphonse is a good hard-hitting sword lord. Shareena is weak as spear infantry and mediocre support.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

acumen posted:

All the starters are varying degrees of usable (my Sharena is 5* and an excellent unit). I'm just saying that using 2* starters just because they're featured units is bad advice.

I don't think there's a top 100 list anywhere but due to the nature of stat matching it's going to be mostly knights (Hector, Effie, Sheena, etc) and/or +10 units since they have the highest stat totals. Top 1000 is full-on whale territory though - I'd say top 5000-10000 is a good goal and obtainable for f2pers.

Sounds right from my experience. Four decent 5* units at level 40 will yield about 650~ points per match, depending on matchmaking rng. A deathless run should end you at about 4550~ chain. This about the breakpoint for non-whales and reasonably obtainable until more people catch on and raise their team to be able to do this and much stronger units are released into the pool.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

Alphonse is a good hard-hitting sword lord. Shareena is weak as spear infantry and mediocre support.

You keep on saying that but have nothing to back it up. Alphonse has to compete with a slot crowded full of units with better weapons and abilities. Shareena on the other hand has very little competition and acts as both a useful offensive and defensive buffing tool.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Kyoujin posted:

I got enough orbs to pull in the new banner and... I got 1 red 4 grays. Well, it could be a takumi.

It wasn't. Don't be like me. Take your single summon and eat the orb loss.

4* Roy, Wrys
3* Gaius, Saizo, Azama

I never summon greys because the pool of useful heroes is so small and I already have Kagero

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Yeah. Can't complain too much since I previously did one last pull on heroes banner before it went away since my 5* rate was over 4%.

Pulled Marth and Sheena, doubling my 5 * roster.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Sounds right from my experience. Four decent 5* units at level 40 ...

Not everyone has 4 5* units....

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You can cheat that anyway. 4*-5* isn't really a Titanic increase in stats, it's just every stat matters if you are going top top ranks. If you just want a good score then use four high level units and hopefully one of them is one of the high stat hogs like the Lord MCs or an armor unit.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm routinely clearing 3500 with 2 5*s and 2 4*s, one of which is a healer. That's not going to rank forever (especially once the featured characters rotate and I don't have two of them anymore) but it'll get the offense full reward forever.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Does the second featured even raise the score? Think you just need one.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rascyc posted:

Does the second featured even raise the score? Think you just need one.

I'd heard that the first one doubles your score, and each one past that increases the value by less until it's triple at all four. I haven't confirmed this myself at all though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Virion counts as well. Unless the person voicing him was in fact his Awakening VA and he finally decided to reveal his identity.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

OddObserver posted:

I've got two 5* and two 4*. One 4* is level 32 and I'm getting 620 max points per win. If you are running only one 5* it should still be possible to get 600 per fight as long as one your characters is an arena focus character. But 4200 points right now is somewhere around rank 15,000.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Trihugger posted:

I've got two 5* and two 4*. One 4* is level 32 and I'm getting 620 max points per win. If you are running only one 5* it should still be possible to get 600 per fight as long as one your characters is an arena focus character. But 4200 points right now is somewhere around rank 15,000.

Which is sort of my point. My original best party doesn't have any focus characters, I just didn't draw any until recently. So it gets more like 300 per fight --- which I also get with my "trying to level up Robin I finally drew" party at half the level, and that party also has less trouble with running into Takumi..

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Is that 300 points with all four people at level 40 and fighting on Advanced? That doesn't sound right, promoted characters or not.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

OddObserver posted:

If you notice, being 1st in rankings is a reward category of it's own. Based on the information from whales and their arena performance, it does appear that each ranking tier and rank spot can be tied for by as many people thatcan reach that score. So 1000-5000 will have a lot more than 4000 players. As long as you reach the needed score you will be included in the reward tier. The only thing that pushes your rank down is people reaching higher scores, people that tie have no impact on ranking. If this is correct and it does seem like it is based on the info available, you can theoretically reach the 1000-5000 tier with ANY 5* units, including 3* upgraded with feathers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

you can theoretically reach the 1000-5000 tier with ANY 5* units, including 3* upgraded with feathers.

There was some confusion about this in the discord too - 3/4* units promoted to 5* are exactly the same as copies that are drawn at 5*; 3* Robin feathered to 5* will be exactly the same as Robin pulled straight at 5*. Not including IVs of course.