Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Winner's Circle Poll of People Who Win Contests
This poll is closed.
Bingo Cop Metis 31 17.51%
Major Isoor 13 7.34%
A Cup of Ramen 33 18.64%
Prokhor 14 7.91%
Arzaac 12 6.78%
Bowseretta 52 29.38%
Bernie 22 12.43%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

wuggles posted:

Buddy I’ve got bad news about approaching strangers this year

Firm handshake, eye contact, big grin. Works every time, who wouldn't appreciate that, even in your goofy Snake Eater timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is that $500k figure plausible?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Rinkles posted:

Absolutely not. Old consoles ain't worth anything. Certain games can be, but if he had those he'd mention them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This has big "insurance fraud" energy

https://twitter.com/jnlgame/status/1333176597583712260

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rinkles posted:

Maybe if you totaled up the retail price of buying all those games on release. You probably couldn't have put the whole collection on ebay and gotten $500K for it today

Would love to know the sheer volume involved, if it was like multiple entire rooms of mom's house devoted to her son's nerd junk collection it's a lot more understandable

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rinkles posted:

perhaps, but the collection would have to be absolutely massive. no wonder their mom got rid of it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

talking to my insurance guy on the phone, yeah I had like 2 dozen black lotuses and a couple mona lisas

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Hey Mom, can I leave a magic collection so large every dealer on the east coast knows my face at your place?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

twist: his mom is tweeting from his account to drop some not-so-subtle hints that he needs to come get his poo poo

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

my mom just sent me huge boxes containing all the board games and stuff I had left at their house, once they get here I'm gonna have to figure out what to do with all of them. I didn't expect them to bother but I think they know I'm still mad that like, maybe a month after I moved to college they let my brother sell off a huge chunk of my game collection to GameStop (and a guy in the gamestop parking lot for the stuff that was too old for them to take.) I has never going to look at all the bullshit that came with the Lunar game again but I still wanted to vaguely own it God damnit

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah I was thinking this same thing, family has fallen on hard times due to pandemic, needs money, sudden insurance idea just came into play. It's a stupid idea though that isn't going to be covered by home owners insurance.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I clicked through that J&L twitter and went to the website and it's like, a store? With a physical location in Manhattan?

And this guy stored all his crap at his moms house?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
There is literally no way he had those MTG cards he's claiming he had

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

suuma posted:

I clicked through that J&L twitter and went to the website and it's like, a store? With a physical location in Manhattan?

And this guy stored all his crap at his moms house?

Including a binder of Magic cards which, if it existed, would have been worth like 100k just on its own

Yeah better not keep that in a safe in my bedroom, I'm sure my mom is trustworthy

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i buy this giant bag of no-bullshit assorted shelled nuts when i just feel like being a squirrel and its called nuts in shell, the product is literally just named nuts in shell, thats what is written on the bag. and it makes me happy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Nine of these moments, back to back, DESTROYED BY MOTHER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAvLC3fz068&t=1s

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
that's today's story

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Moms just don’t understand, our trash is worth actual real money

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i lost a childhood warhammer collection that way but good riddance lol

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wish they'd remake Stunt Island.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
My mom threw away all the terrible Dragonlance books I read when I was 12

Thanks mom

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My mom actually BOUGHT me suikoden 2 for ps1

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In a reversal of expectations, it was my dad that sent my SNES copy of Earthbound and my PS1 copy of Ogre Battle to my relatives in another country

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

My mom actually BOUGHT me suikoden 2 for ps1

:stare:

Epic mom

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

My mom threw away all the terrible Dragonlance books I read when I was 12

Thanks mom
I estimate these losses to amount to approximately $2.1 million

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I said come in! posted:

Yeah I was thinking this same thing, family has fallen on hard times due to pandemic, needs money, sudden insurance idea just came into play. It's a stupid idea though that isn't going to be covered by home owners insurance.

Yeah there's no way "accidentally thrown out" would be a valid claim. And I doubt they'd be stupid enough to assume it would. At the very least they'd have to stage a theft or something. Even then they'd need receipts or something to prove ownership.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRpRIC5KKF4

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jay Rust posted:

Moms just don’t understand, our trash is worth actual real money
So its actual trash. But it's still trash!

So remember, turn your trash that's worth actual money into money before it's too late. You'll make your mom happier, too!

Chev fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 30, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wish they'd remake Stunt Island.

extremely :same:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I dont normally watch anime but just saw there's a persona 5 anime on all4 (free in the uk) and based on the first episode it seems like a condensed version of the game, quite excited to watch more

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I dont normally watch anime but

Oh no, they got you :ohdear:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Please do not make fun of anime in the gacha thread.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

No poo poo, wouldn't a "complete set of cards from alpha to Ice Age" contain 3 power 9s, the alpha power 9, beta power 9, and unlimited power 9? Which would be 300+ sets of the power 9... nothing about this adds up right :thunk:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

NumptyScrub posted:

No poo poo, wouldn't a "complete set of cards from alpha to Ice Age" contain 3 power 9s, the alpha power 9, beta power 9, and unlimited power 9? Which would be 300+ sets of the power 9... nothing about this adds up right :thunk:

if he really had all that stuff, he'd have hopefully had it insured and maybe shouldn't have left it without instructions at someone else's house

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that's an amount of stuff that would result in a Hoarders episode

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
don't forget to celebrate gamer's day by completing the challenge gamer's day in the video game mega man 9, where you beat the game 5 times in one day (gamer's day)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Violen posted:

don't forget to celebrate gamer's day by completing the challenge gamer's day in the video game mega man 9, where you beat the game 5 times in one day (gamer's day)

I haven't even beaten megaman 9 once

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

If I had 500k worth of stuff I would simply...be able to afford somewhere to put it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i believe the spark joy rule applies to whoever lives in the residence in which the stuff is stored

but more importantly, it's time for the 13 sentinels character power ranking:

1. yuki takamiya - delinquents are the best
2. keitaro miura - a very good boy
3. tomi kisaragi - sassy to everyone
4. natsuno minami - a very good girl
5. nenji ogata - delinquents continue to be great
6. megumi yakushiji - ended up liking her story way more than i thought i would, some powerful moments
7. ryoko shinonome - lots of ups and downs but also got me to say "oh hell yeah" out loud
8. takatoshi hijiyama - my yakisoba pan idiot
9. juro kurabe - great story, but kinda plain as a character compared to above
10. ei sekigahara - good thematic elements but not my favorite
11. renya gouto - good voice acting but kinda dull character, suffers from his story being more about the game as a whole than himself
12. iori fuyusaka - pleasant but kinda boring
13. shu amiguchi - he's fine whenever yuki isn't around but i don't like playboy characters

tho the real number one is tsukasa okino, who owns just about every scene he's in and i'm still mad his ending relationship hasn't progressed at all in five years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Absolutely not. Old consoles ain't worth anything. Certain games can be, but if he had those he'd mention them.

I wish this weren't true, but it absolutely is. Old consoles aren't rare. Millions of people owned them. Most still have one in a closet or a basement. Only select games are valuable, and only because of their rarity. Consoles are worth the $5 you can get for them at a yard sale or the flea market.