Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Dexo posted:

Jason Tatum is a top like 10 player in the league. Jaylen Brown is also pretty good.

They are closer to being title contenders than one would think, they just need pieces to put around them.

Right but they don’t really have a lot of assets to get them over the bucks, nets, and 76ers in the next 2 or so seasons. Being probably the 4th best team in the east is pretty good and with injury luck or a key roster move they could move up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Booyah- posted:

oof that type of injury has a bad prognosis right?

It's a knee sprain. So it can really vary.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Excited about Eastern Conference Finalist: Atlanta Hawks though!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Booyah- posted:

oof that type of injury has a bad prognosis right?

Not necessarily. Depends on where the tear is. Think of a circle parallel to the floor with the thigh bone on top and shin bone on bottom. If the tear is on the outer edge of the circle, away from where the bones meet, then it's not a huge deal.

You get into trouble when the tear is in the center of the circle as that is where the bones meet and exert the most pressure.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

It kills me that Denver is getting contributions from 1 recent mid lottery pick in MPJ, a 2nd round pick in Morris, a guy on a 2 way deal in Howard, and 2 cheap free agents they signed this past summer in Green and Campazzo

And Portland has Melo, Simons, Kanter and RHJ doing almost nothing of note.

This is a testament to Coach Malone right? Players love him and he seems to know how to get the most out of them.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Papes posted:

Right but they don’t really have a lot of assets to get them over the bucks, nets, and 76ers in the next 2 or so seasons. Being probably the 4th best team in the east is pretty good and with injury luck or a key roster move they could move up.

Yeah thats the thing. They are essentially stuck in no mans land where they are good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to hang with the real teams and are going to have some hard decisions to make about how to move forward, and figure out how to get rid of Kemba Walkers terrible contract

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

:(

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Nodoze posted:

Yeah thats the thing. They are essentially stuck in no mans land where they are good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to hang with the real teams and are going to have some hard decisions to make about how to move forward, and figure out how to get rid of Kemba Walkers terrible contract

Tatum and Brown are likely good enough to hang with the real teams.

They just have to find another good player. Bucks had almost nothing, and they managed to get Jrue.

Gotta get creative and maybe "get fleeced" in a deal to land a third player to put alongside those two.

Ainge's entire problem was that he wasn't willing to "lose" a trade to make the team better.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ainge did great getting Tatum and Brown but every single one of those embarrassment of riches turned into just good assets which then turned into regular to not good assets.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
His biggest mistake, at least in retrospect, is trusting his young draft picks to develop into real players instead of signing/trading for veteran talent. I like(d) Grant Williams but he cannot be getting big playoff minutes. Same with Prichard, Neismith, Ojeleye, etc.

e: I think the Kemba and Hayward signings were fine and mostly unforeseeable that it would go so wrong.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Dexo posted:

Tatum and Brown are likely good enough to hang with the real teams.

They just have to find another good player. Bucks had almost nothing, and they managed to get Jrue.

Gotta get creative and maybe "get fleeced" in a deal to land a third player to put alongside those two.

Ainge's entire problem was that he wasn't willing to "lose" a trade to make the team better.

Yeah that is definitely true. Maine needed banners, couldn't trade prospects for a star

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Also I am so glad I don't have to pretend to defend Ainge as a person/entity anymore.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
i think the Sixers can beat Atlanta with no Embiid.

really glad they let him play a few more minutes on the torn meniscus. never seen that one before haha

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

To be fair, a lot of this comes down to Kemba being injured/bad

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Let's all share at what point during this video you knew who this was about :

https://twitter.com/Kenny16Techs/status/1400082158212030469?s=20

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
yeah the Celtics aren't in near as much basketball hell as people are putting them in.

They have the Williams', Smart, Neismith etc etc, that others teams with a disgruntled good player might be willing to take back with picks and swaps when forced to trade their good player

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Joel officially out for tonight. Time to get Out the Mud

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

His biggest mistake, at least in retrospect, is trusting his young draft picks to develop into real players instead of signing/trading for veteran talent. I like(d) Grant Williams but he cannot be getting big playoff minutes. Same with Prichard, Neismith, Ojeleye, etc.

e: I think the Kemba and Hayward signings were fine and mostly unforeseeable that it would go so wrong.

Yeah I liked Grant a lot and still think at some point he will figure out his shot and become a useful NBA player but he was really bad this year. Ainge has found a lot of fringey rotation guys at spots in the draft where that isn't necessarily a given but expecting them to be the whole bench is too much.

Also as much as some Celtics fans (not here) have done a touchdown dance at draft twitter over Pritchard exceeding expectations, you'd still definitely rather have someone like Bane there

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 2, 2021

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

OzFactor posted:

Lmao to be honest I didn't know until the reveal. That dude looks like Macaulay

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

a new study bible! posted:

I hope they start Furkan

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I demand 40 minutes of Playoff Tyrese Maxey

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dexo posted:

yeah the Celtics aren't in near as much basketball hell as people are putting them in.

They have the Williams', Smart, Neismith etc etc, that others teams with a disgruntled good player might be willing to take back with picks and swaps when forced to trade their good player

Sacramento would have taken the other Williams and Nesmith and some picks for Barnes but no way, Ainge would have rather had Fournier for free

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

reaction on this seems pretty split between "he just needs a week or so of rest and should be ok" and "don't loving play him again for the rest of the playoffs because with our luck he'll end up damaging his knee further and ruin his career"

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

So Joel has to be done for the playoffs, right?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

OzFactor posted:

no lie i guessed right at 34 seconds.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yeah and the sixers just forfeit because they’re so bad with no chance to win another game

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

yea ok posted:

yeah and the sixers just forfeit because they’re so bad with no chance to win another game

they're not winning a series against the bucks or nets without joel

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Also the Hawks, Knicks, and probably Wizards.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

triple sulk posted:

they're not winning a series against the bucks or nets without joel

They are playing the wizards and hawks

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

So Joel has to be done for the playoffs, right?

Jota posted:

lol shut the gently caress up

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

😤

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Torn meniscus .. . . let's see on the Ron Artest scale that's. .. . one game missed.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Stevie Lee posted:

I hope they start Furkan

Doc loves Mike Scott so I'm worried he's going to start him even though he might be the worst player in the league. I'd rather they just start Thybulle . The Simmons at the 5 lineups haven't gotten a lot of run and haven't really looked great, but it's not like Mike Scott is protecting the rim and he is a nothing on offense. At least this way you're getting some better perimeter defending out of it.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

WhyteRyce posted:

Sacramento would have taken the other Williams and Nesmith and some picks for Barnes but no way, Ainge would have rather had Fournier for free

In retrospect, prob for the best.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
is Coach K retiring to go work for Brad Stevens? Only time will tell

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
drat kyrie really obliterated the celtics huh?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Rick posted:

Torn meniscus .. . . let's see on the Ron Artest scale that's. .. . one game missed.

It varies like that's what russ got when Beverley decided to summon the spirit of dj swearinger

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

barnold posted:

it's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

barnold posted:

absolute bunker buster