Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Zaodai posted:

Plus it gives them a less complex system to start with that they can expand in the next game when we all go to space and punch the Clans in the dick.

I want to play the clanners, and punch the IS in the dick though. Hopefully HBS lets me fulfill this desire in due time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I don't really care which side we get to play, so long as they do those jackets again and this time with a Jade Falcon patch.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I would be really happy if they do neat things to help dispel the illusion of only the player having money as a limiting factor...
Mission briefing: "We are going to raid a hostile planet that just saw some fighting because of a pirate raid - we are hoping to catch them with their pants down".
Player: "poo poo THEY HAVE TWO ATLASES!"
Mission enemies: *Has two Altases with no AC/20 or SRM ammo*

Or Big Al style, missing an arm.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Special condition: The ruler of this planet has severe sinestrophobia, so you need to remove all left arms from your mechs before deploying to the battlefield. +10% c-bills on completion.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I would be really happy if they do neat things to help dispel the illusion of only the player having money as a limiting factor...
Mission briefing: "We are going to raid a hostile planet that just saw some fighting because of a pirate raid - we are hoping to catch them with their pants down".
Player: "poo poo THEY HAVE TWO ATLASES!"
Mission enemies: *Has two Altases with no AC/20 or SRM ammo*

Or Big Al style, missing an arm.

I think that's something MW2 Mercs did a few times, and very well. The first Atlas you fight is indeed a special variant called "Crippled Atlas" and it is next to "Damaged Orion," both deep in the city center past all the undamaged mech, pushed into service out of desperation. There are a few places in the game you encounter damaged or otherwise not fully repaired mechs.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Is it too much to ask for to let you beat another robot to death with their own arm after shooting it off?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
That would require a lot of animation work, glorious though the result would be.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

WebDO posted:

Is it too much to ask for to let you beat another robot to death with their own arm after shooting it off?

The game you're looking for is Nier: Automata

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Somebody did a full 3028 TRO for this game, covering all the mechs, factions and the state of the Inner Sphere in the era. They used art from MWO and the new updated models for the mechs, including the unseen, I haven't read it through yet but the production value is pretty good.

https://wlu.box.com/s/cl1sj07p0eccuozxg6ow4svr1kg6dhvx

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Phrosphor posted:

Somebody did a full 3028 TRO for this game, covering all the mechs, factions and the state of the Inner Sphere in the era. They used art from MWO and the new updated models for the mechs, including the unseen, I haven't read it through yet but the production value is pretty good.

https://wlu.box.com/s/cl1sj07p0eccuozxg6ow4svr1kg6dhvx

holey moley

how much is it to buy into the beta at this point, if I'm down for the lowest price at release?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Are you guys going full star citizen with dreams for this game or is all this speculation translated to the game itself?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ramadu posted:

Are you guys going full star citizen with dreams for this game or is all this speculation translated to the game itself?

HBS has actually showed what they're producing, and the stuff people seem to be dreaming about in this thread are stuff they haven't paid for yet.

So pretty much the opposite of Star Citizen.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They have actual gameplay videos, so it looks pretty unambiguously good at this point

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

sebmojo posted:

holey moley

how much is it to buy into the beta at this point, if I'm down for the lowest price at release?

https://battletech.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders You want the $60 tier if you want Beta Access.

Ramadu posted:

A lot of the stuff posted in this thread isn't speculation, it's stuff we've actually seen or the devs have spoken about on the official forums.

Here's a match between the studio head and lead designer from last weekend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

Q_res fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 24, 2017

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Like I own their other games so I trust HBS to make a game, but when I'm seeing 5000 words about giant robots I'm gonna get a little wary. I'm sure we can all agree that scifi nerds can be overenthuisiastic!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
The 1st Royal Guards Griffin in that fan TRO... :gizz:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ramadu posted:

It's gonna be a turn based xcom-style combat system with a pseudo-random mission generator. There's nothing out of control about the design spec and everyone involved has experience of delivering games of a similar scope.

Now game 2 I want them to go full Chris Roberts, pull in the CK2 team to make a full Inner Sphere campaign map with each planet's nobility represented and a dynamic economy. And FMV.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Alchenar posted:

It's gonna be a turn based xcom-style combat system with a pseudo-random mission generator. There's nothing out of control about the design spec and everyone involved has experience of delivering games of a similar scope.

Now game 2 I want them to go full Chris Roberts, pull in the CK2 team to make a full Inner Sphere campaign map with each planet's nobility represented and a dynamic economy. And FMV.

The death of FMV in games has always made me sad. I always enjoyed the heck out of how cheesy and b movie they were.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ramadu posted:

I honestly don't understand why people keep coming in here and comparing this to Star Citizen.

What the game is going to be has pretty much been finalized, HBS has an actual release history of (good) games as a studio, and they've vehemently cut off all scope creep. They're actually probably going to cut out a feature as well that fans wanted simply because it will tie up too much time and money before their internal targeted release.

I'd say that's the complete opposite of Star Citizen.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Ramadu posted:

Like I own their other games so I trust HBS to make a game, but when I'm seeing 5000 words about giant robots I'm gonna get a little wary. I'm sure we can all agree that scifi nerds can be overenthuisiastic!

Imagine writing post after post convincing strangers that your care level about a videogame is the correct amount.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I have to admit, it does annoy me a bit that the fan-made TRO has so many Mechs that aren't in the game. Including some that likely never will be. Just because it might set up false expectations for less knowledgeable (of this game) folks and lead to disappointment.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Q_res posted:

I have to admit, it does annoy me a bit that the fan-made TRO has so many Mechs that aren't in the game. Including some that likely never will be. Just because it might set up false expectations for less knowledgeable (of this game) folks and lead to disappointment.

I figured it was just a nice bit of fan made fluff to inform about the setting. No one is going to go through the effort of making a fan TRO without already knowing whats going to be in the game. I mean, there's a very public list of launch confirmed mechs.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Q_res posted:

https://battletech.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders You want the $60 tier if you want Beta Access.

Gggnnn. Gonna wait.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Ramadu posted:

The Backer Beta launches next Friday, so we will see for sure then.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ramadu posted:

Well that's because we're nerding out about the tabletop game the IP is from and imagine trying to stop a tabletop nerd from writing words.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
http://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/6879/comments/134880

Mech Lab might be ready for the beta, but not at the start of it.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Skoll posted:

http://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/6879/comments/134880

Mech Lab might be ready for the beta, but not at the start of it.

So stock mechs only for the start of the beta? I quite like that actually, you can focus on learning the game play instead of min-maxing chassis.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
A thing I'm curious about is HBS's approach to post-release support. Are they going to poo poo out a million mech packs and mission packs, which I would probably buy if the game ends up being as good as it looks from the match videos we've seen, or are they going to focus on a Shadowrun approach and release iterative versions of the game instead?

I'd be okay with either, to be honest.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The second. They've said no to Mech packs and have been pretty vocal about iterating. "With great success, anything is possible."

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I will say one thing for stock only. In the TT after you get past your initial "OMG I can make heat neutral Clan Tcomp, Pulse/Gauss monsters and beat everything!" phase, learning how to assemble a stock lance/company to work together as a team was the new challenge. When the plan comes together and each mech on the board covers the others weaknesses felt way more satisfying than just min/maxing a single chassis. It becomes more about positioning and LOS compared to who brought more headcapping weapons.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Is it worth making a new thread for the beta, or to wait for release? The title doesn't really apply anymore.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Phrosphor posted:

Enforcer-4R
9Tons Armour. 64KPH Top Speed. 12xHeat Sinks. Has Jump Jets.

The enforcer has a history for being a civilian police mech rather than a front line fighting unit, however it isn't a bad robit. It is another 50 tonner which on paper looks a lot like the Centurion. The default -4R model mounts an AC10 in the right arm like a Cent as well as a Medium and Large Laser. It also has Jump Jets which sets it a little apart from it's brother. The capability to land behind a target and hit it in the rear with the Autocannon might bring it into favor over the less maneuverable Centurion.

The Enforcer has never been a "civilian police `Mech," it's the premier workhorse medium of the Federated Suns and is a direct answer to the Centurion. The two have similar performance but the Enforcer's arguably better.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Enforcer has never been a "civilian police `Mech," it's the premier workhorse medium of the Federated Suns and is a direct answer to the Centurion. The two have similar performance but the Enforcer's arguably better.

I think at this point my post has been picked apart by most people as being really bad and wrong :( I just wanted to work out what the roles are for the mediums would be in multiplayer and threw in some fluff I had in my head. I was sure there was a piece of art with an Enforcer done up as a police mech and that is what I based it on.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

DISPERSE AND RETURN TO YOUR HOMES (dumps AC/10 rounds into a crowd of people). Everyone knows the Fire 'full warcrimes' starter is the correct riot suppression mech.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, Autocannons aren't a great choice for killing crowds (I forget, does LBX AC rounds get a bonus against infantry?)

Speaking of, I'm a bit sad that infantry won't be in the game. They'd be fun to squish and there is always the chance they're carrying some man portable Inferno SRMs or something to make things interesting. Oh hey, thats another thing that'll probably not be in the game, Infernos... those are around in 3025, yeah?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, Autocannons aren't a great choice for killing crowds (I forget, does LBX AC rounds get a bonus against infantry?)

Speaking of, I'm a bit sad that infantry won't be in the game. They'd be fun to squish and there is always the chance they're carrying some man portable Inferno SRMs or something to make things interesting. Oh hey, thats another thing that'll probably not be in the game, Infernos... those are around in 3025, yeah?

Yes.

They kill exactly one more poor bloody infantry than slugs. Which is normally one poor bloody infantry for every single autocannon until you get to the 20.

Then it's two guys.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Infernos are around but they wont be in the game. Maybe in an expansion, who knows?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Strobe posted:

Yes.

They kill exactly one more poor bloody infantry than slugs. Which is normally one poor bloody infantry for every single autocannon until you get to the 20.

Then it's two guys.

Unless you use the classic 'everyone conga-lines when fighting mechs' rules.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Phrosphor posted:

I think at this point my post has been picked apart by most people as being really bad and wrong :( I just wanted to work out what the roles are for the mediums would be in multiplayer and threw in some fluff I had in my head. I was sure there was a piece of art with an Enforcer done up as a police mech and that is what I based it on.

It's fine, you might've been thinking of the Marshal which is more space cowboy lawman robot than police officer. BattleMechs typically don't have non-military roles, they're too "expensive" and most planets are dirt poor shitholes with no economy to speak of. There are civilian robots, but they're all trash (aside from the CattleMaster) that are usually ill-suited to the jobs they're designed to perform.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's fine, you might've been thinking of the Marshal which is more space cowboy lawman robot than police officer. BattleMechs typically don't have non-military roles. There are civilian robots, but they're all trash (aside from the CattleMaster) that are usually ill-suited to the jobs they're designed to perform.

You forgot forestry mechs friend.

• Locked thread