Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

deoju posted:

Hey, can I ask you motorcycle goons a question?

Mice chewed the gently caress out of the wires in my 2012 Accord. Cost me $1100. :homebrew: I parked my it about 4 feet away from my neighbors' 2017 Accord, and they got it way worse than I did.( I read Honda uses soy and peanut oil to make the wires. Weird...) As a result of this bullshit, I've got to park my car in the garage. That's where my motorcycle, lawn mower, snow blower and a bunch of other poo poo used to live. So I've got to park my 2004 Kawasaki 125 Eliminator outside. Everything I've read about mice chewing your poo poo says they hate peppermint oil and to mix that with water and spritz it under the hood. Can I spray that on my bike too and not gently caress poo poo up? The bottle says the ingredients are "Mentha Pipertia (Peppermint) Aerial parts oil." That's not corrosive or anything, right? It's been 20 years since I took chemistry. I know water next to the battery terminals is not a good idea. :science: I've got a place to store it in the winter and I live in southern Wisconsin, fwiw.

You can brush it on, if you don't want to spray it. So then, it stays on the wire plastic instead of going on terminals.

I'm no chemist, but I highly doubt peppermint oil is corrosive. Even olive oil is more acidic. Isn't it...??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

deoju posted:

Hey, can I ask you motorcycle goons a question?

Mice chewed the gently caress out of the wires in my 2012 Accord. Cost me $1100. :homebrew: I parked my it about 4 feet away from my neighbors' 2017 Accord, and they got it way worse than I did.( I read Honda uses soy and peanut oil to make the wires. Weird...) As a result of this bullshit, I've got to park my car in the garage. That's where my motorcycle, lawn mower, snow blower and a bunch of other poo poo used to live. So I've got to park my 2004 Kawasaki 125 Eliminator outside. Everything I've read about mice chewing your poo poo says they hate peppermint oil and to mix that with water and spritz it under the hood. Can I spray that on my bike too and not gently caress poo poo up? The bottle says the ingredients are "Mentha Pipertia (Peppermint) Aerial parts oil." That's not corrosive or anything, right? It's been 20 years since I took chemistry. I know water next to the battery terminals is not a good idea. :science: I've got a place to store it in the winter and I live in southern Wisconsin, fwiw.

As long as you're not spraying it on with a pressure washer you should be fine. If you're particularly worried about the oil melting the cables (it won't), you can spray everything with ACF50 first to create a barrier.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I don’t know anything about motorcycle tire anatomy but I’m assuming cracks at the base of the valve stem require a replacement. Can it get me to a shop on city roads if it’s not leaking?

My tires aren’t that old, I’m assuming they reused my stems last time.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The valve stem is separate from the tire, but they'll need to take the tire off to install a new one. Up to you if you want to buy new tires also. If it's holding air then I wouldn't sweat a short ride to the shop.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I got unlucky a couple years ago and got a front and rear flat in the same riding season because my city is permanently under construction and leaving metal poo poo in the roads so I’m pretty sure my tires have a lot of life still. The stems look like poo poo though, I’ll wait to ride again until I can incorporate a stop to get them fixed.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
So I found myself working at a Motoamerica racing team/race bike garage and we're looking for a mechanic, part time, full time, whatever, in the PNW.

I didn't super see a great spot to post this to ask so this seemed as close as something that might make sense. I've had good luck over the years finding folks from SA that have brains to work with on stuff. PM me if you want info. Point me to the mechanics thread if I'm dumb and missed it.

For more general content hi I'm a stupid newbie. I do not ride or work on bikes but here I am, and I'm learning more every day. For example, no, we will NOT work on your totaled Hayabusa from 20 years ago that you left in a corner of your garage. Please don't PM me with that.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Salynne posted:

no, we will NOT work on your totaled Hayabusa from 20 years ago that you left in a corner of your garage. Please don't PM me with that.
This seems wrong, don't mechanics take an oath or something?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Remy Marathe posted:

We don't have nearly enough dinosaurs running around for the Machinatio Vitae to apply

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

What mechanics? :negative:

EDIT to add to something:

Russian Bear posted:

Yamaha is not making a euro5+ R1 say the rumors. So I assume it will be sold in the US for a while kind of like the Honda cbr600 was discontinued but still sold here. Or maybe they will do the whole track bike thing like the r6.

We run an R1 superbike. They're going track bike only with it, most R1s are track bikes anyways by sales.

And they are doing an R9 off the MT-09.

We've been chasing rumors everywhere to find this stuff so we can plan ahead because we can't exactly afford to develop on a dead chassis.

Salynne fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 27, 2024

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Salynne posted:

For example, no, we will NOT work on your totaled Hayabusa from 20 years ago that you left in a corner of your garage. Please don't PM me with that.

One of the things that eased the blow when my Tuono was stolen was that Melbourne's only competent Italian bike mechanic put out a post a few months earlier saying he would no longer be working on Aprilia or MV Augustas.

I only ever saw him for things that I absolutely couldn't trial and error my way through at home because his waiting list was 6 months long, but knowing there was no way I'd be able to get an accurate TB sync again without buying the official Aprilia gas analyser gameboy took some of the wind out of my sails on that bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

prukinski posted:

One of the things that eased the blow when my Tuono was stolen was that Melbourne's only competent Italian bike mechanic put out a post a few months earlier saying he would no longer be working on Aprilia or MV Augustas.

I only ever saw him for things that I absolutely couldn't trial and error my way through at home because his waiting list was 6 months long, but knowing there was no way I'd be able to get an accurate TB sync again without buying the official Aprilia gas analyser gameboy took some of the wind out of my sails on that bike.

For the spectators, this is not a joke

Somebody find the picture

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

For the spectators, this is not a joke

Somebody find the picture

Caution: reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/Aprilia/comments/pq2r1v/found_during_shop_cleanup_rarely_used_gameboy/

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
This has better come with custom software that has Mario and Luigi narrating the carb sync process.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
*hooking up to the gas analyzer* Alright lemme take a peek-a-chyou

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
To be honest I think it's peak Italian and peak "fuckit we gotta make a tool, let's stand on someone else' shoulders".

I loving Love It

E: VVV I worked on F4s ehhh about 15 years ago. Parts were hard to get then..
I'm not in the PNW tho but norcal.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 28, 2024

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

mamma mia!

We have some restoration projects in addition to race bikes and one is a pile of unobtainium MV agusta F4 parts including some original oro parts and OEM carbon fiber, aftermarket titanium stuff, etc. But the 6 month wait list thing is real. We're more like 18 months backed up, hence the shot in the dark to see if someone here wants work. We're at the point where we'll train someone with some raw talent who actually wants to show up for work, keep getting flakes at best. I've been doing a little bit here and there but I'm also doing business admin stuff so it's just a big small business spinning plates thing.

EDIT: ^^^ we have 3 complete bikes worth of parts plus two sets of spares for lots of it. Someone had a cache of insane stuff that was picked up in an estate sale.

Salynne fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 28, 2024

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

To be honest I think it's peak Italian and peak "fuckit we gotta make a tool, let's stand on someone else' shoulders".

I loving Love It

I also love it and, in the context of the time, it makes a ton of sense. It's the mid 1990s and you've got this fancy new electronically controlled engine that you want to tune and analyze. Sure, you could roll your 486 out to the shop on a cart and hook up to the bike with a parallel cable. But that sucks. It's heavy, it's huge, it's expensive, it's gotta be plugged into the wall, the mouse needs a flat surface, the keyboard will immediately get covered in grease...

What you really want is a little handheld computer that's portable and battery powered, with a hardware expansion port to attach your custom ECU cable, a decent quality screen that can show arbitrary info and graphics, and some built-in control buttons, and ideally it's also rugged, and cheap to replace outright if you drop it in the oil barrel. But where to find such a thing??

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A base hex911 costs $500. I can only DREAM of a universe where I'm running diags on my bikes with an off the shelf Switch, game cart, and USB cable :lol:

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Phy posted:

*hooking up to the gas analyzer* Alright lemme take a peek-a-chyou

If you're having electrical issues you need a transfer cable and another GameBoy, and someone has to trade a Pikachu into the Aprilia's ECU.

PIKACHU USED GREMLIN SHOCK
IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I picture Aprilia being more of a fire type

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I picture Aprilia being more of a fire type

You’re probably picturing an Aprilia on fire

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Russian Bear posted:

You’re probably picturing an Aprilia on fire

Tbh, the Tuono was remarkably issue-free aside from the hassle of synching the throttles and the wait time for parts being measured in geological time. Then again, I had a couple of 2000's era KTMs before it so anything would seem trouble free by comparison.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Has anyone ever had their oil tested? I was considering sending it to this lab https://www.blackstone-labs.com/engine-types/motorcycle/
$35 - I don't have any concerns I'm looking for. I'm just curious.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

T Zero posted:

Has anyone ever had their oil tested? I was considering sending it to this lab https://www.blackstone-labs.com/engine-types/motorcycle/
$35 - I don't have any concerns I'm looking for. I'm just curious.

This feels like using The Secret to to manifest a big end bearing failure.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Everyone filtering: How do you deal with hitting someone's mirror? Unfortunately slightly grazed the front most (left) cars right mirror just now. I pushed it back and gave him an apologetic wave, then pulled up front in the right lane. Someone honked at me (unsure who), i turned around towards both cars and the driver of the one I hit waved his hand in front of his face (basically suggesting I'm crazy for filtering, a lot of drivers aren't aware it's legal).

Just curious if there is anything else I could do to make an affected driver feel less angry if it ever happens again?

(I also pulled to the side of the road after the intersection, cause technically that's an accident, but the driver just drove off)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't think there's anything you can do, no, because it isn't okay to hit someone's mirror while you're riding. Just be more careful in the future.

Bar end mirrors will help (I'm assuming you hit their mirror with your own).

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

It all depends on the situation. If you're in stopped traffic filtering and there's no one immediately behind you on a bike, you might wanna waddle back and see what the driver of the car you hit, wants.
If you overshot so far that you can't waddle back, you were going too fast.

I've done it too, just barely post covid but still with a very wonky sense of balance and space (i now know not to ride when i am recovering from covid). Happened at a traffic light so while the light was still red i hopped onto the sidewalk right next the traffic light and waited to see if the driver was gonna follow me there. Didn't, so everything was fine. My mirrors have plastic covers that are probably a lot softer than your average car mirror so it's kinda hard to do damage with those anyway. Either way, take your responsibility, give them the opportunity to follow, flip up your visor and wait. I think most won't bother unless you actually did damage.

I've also clipped a parked car's mirror while driving in a car. poo poo happens. But those are the only times i ever had contact with another vehicle on the road.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 5, 2024

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Sagebrush posted:

I don't think there's anything you can do, no, because it isn't okay to hit someone's mirror while you're riding. Just be more careful in the future.

Bar end mirrors will help (I'm assuming you hit their mirror with your own).

Bar end mirrors would be problematic, i hit the mirror with my handguard. And I wasn't suggesting it's OK, but I think it's a reality that this could happen again. I only hit it because I was leaning over trying to avoid the mirror of the car on the other side. With the season just starting I didn't guess the space between them good enough.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

LimaBiker posted:

It all depends on the situation. If you're in stopped traffic filtering and there's no one immediately behind you on a bike, you might wanna waddle back and see what the driver of the car you hit, wants.
If you overshot so far that you can't waddle back, you were going too fast.

I've done it too, just barely post covid but still with a very wonky sense of balance and space (i now know not to ride when i am recovering from covid). Happened at a traffic light so while the light was still red i hopped onto the sidewalk right next the traffic light and waited to see if the driver was gonna follow me there. Didn't, so everything was fine. My mirrors have plastic covers that are probably a lot softer than your average car mirror so it's kinda hard to do damage with those anyway. Either way, take your responsibility, give them the opportunity to follow, flip up your visor and wait. I think most won't bother unless you actually did damage.

I've also clipped a parked car's mirror while driving in a car. poo poo happens. But those are the only times i ever had contact with another vehicle on the road.

I was stopped next to them after I hit it, I'm not going at any sorta speed while filtering. They didn't really seem interested in talking once I had turned the mirror back to its original position, which was why I moved to the front.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Everyone filtering: How do you deal with hitting someone's mirror? Unfortunately slightly grazed the front most (left) cars right mirror just now. I pushed it back and gave him an apologetic wave, then pulled up front in the right lane. Someone honked at me (unsure who), i turned around towards both cars and the driver of the one I hit waved his hand in front of his face (basically suggesting I'm crazy for filtering, a lot of drivers aren't aware it's legal).

Just curious if there is anything else I could do to make an affected driver feel less angry if it ever happens again?

(I also pulled to the side of the road after the intersection, cause technically that's an accident, but the driver just drove off)

I've only done it maybe twice. Once that I remember. White tradesman's van, which are at the perfect height to get hit. I just remember being mortified, but there was nothing I could do but give an overly dramatic mea culpa so sorry wave. The look on his face was more one of annoyed resignation, like it wasn't the first time this has happened. But it was a work van so he wasn't pissed or anything and I think he just waved me on.
I think you've just got to own it, use whatever means of apology you have available in the situation, and accept whatever dressing down you might get. That was in the UK though. Not sure how Americans would handle it, a lot of them aren't really the "apology accepted" type.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Finger Prince posted:

That was in the UK though. Not sure how Americans would handle it, a lot of them aren't really the "apology accepted" type.

Depending on the state, there's a good chance the driver would put the car in park and start exiting the vehicle.

I don't live in a state where filtering is legal (which means people don't expect it, so doing it is dangerous), but I'd argue that if you're going to hit someone's mirror, you don't fit in that space between vehicles, and shouldn't be filtering.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Thing is, you're not just gonna hit someone's mirror in normal situations. It's an accident. A tiny wobble, a misjudgment etc. Then it happens. You can have half a meter of space left on each side of the mirrors and still have it happen, simply because you hosed up once.
Same as backing up in a car and booping someone's bumper.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Strife posted:

Depending on the state, there's a good chance the driver would put the car in park and start exiting the vehicle.

I don't live in a state where filtering is legal (which means people don't expect it, so doing it is dangerous), but I'd argue that if you're going to hit someone's mirror, you don't fit in that space between vehicles, and shouldn't be filtering.

Yeah I agree, it's 100% your gently caress-up for misjudging the gap. But sometimes you gently caress up and when you do, you've got to own it. When I did it, I hadn't been filtering for very long and hadn't really processed yet that van mirrors are taller and stick out farther into the lane, and are at the exact height of your bike mirrors. So what's been plenty of space right up to that point suddenly has a thing sticking out into a place where you don't expect something to be sticking. This was on the M4 going in to London, so there was space on my left to go around the mirror, I just would have had to alter my track slightly.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
One thing I can suggest is flaring your elbows out when you filter, ideally past your mirrors. You have a much better sense of your body position than any part of your bike, so if you think you can't pass without or clipping your elbow or you feel yourself instinctively tucking your arms, that gap might be too small.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Strife posted:

Ostensibly yes, but traffic is very fluid, and there could have been space before there wasn't. It's making a judgement in the moment, and you might get it wrong. To be clear I think the onus is on the motorcycle to not hit the car, but a 5' gap can become a 3' gap in a split second. This is why I always split at a low speed differential so I can avoid getting into a jam. I've gotten stuck in between cars before because they stopped side by side and their mirrors blocked my path. If one had stopped a foot or two in either direction, I could have gotten by. I don't think anyone would look at this picture and think there isn't room, but then by the time you're in between you can see how the gap could be gone depending on where the cars are at that moment.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Toe Rag posted:

Ostensibly yes, but traffic is very fluid, and there could have been space before there wasn't. It's making a judgement in the moment, and you might get it wrong. To be clear I think the onus is on the motorcycle to not hit the car, but a 5' gap can become a 3' gap in a split second. This is why I always split at a low speed differential so I can avoid getting into a jam. I've gotten stuck in between cars before because they stopped side by side and their mirrors blocked my path. If one had stopped a foot or two in either direction, I could have gotten by. I don't think anyone would look at this picture and think there isn't room, but then by the time you're in between you can see how the gap could be gone depending on where the cars are at that moment.

Lane splitting sounds real scary, I'm exclusively talking about filtering along stopped traffic.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Lane filtering is scary where I live due to more narrow roads, everyone driving jacked up trucks/SUVs, and the chance of pissing off a commuter that's packing.

But when it works it's one of the best perks of being on two wheels.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

SEKCobra posted:

Lane splitting sounds real scary, I'm exclusively talking about filtering along stopped traffic.

It's not any worse than being in the stop and go traffic and seeing someone in your mirrors approach you from behind, wondering if they're gonna brake any time soon - while alternating your vision between your mirrors and the traffic lights or whatever is slowing down traffic. They usually stop, but sometimes they don't and then you have a very bad time. In stop and go traffic, you'll be alternating between lanesplitting with slow rollling cars, and filtering between statinary cars.

A friend of mine, who's one of the better car drivers i know with probably a good million kilometers done in his life, eventually had a fuckup and hit a car from the back at like 10km/h. A little lapse of attention can happen to even the best of drivers.
It was not a big deal for either car, but had it been a bike, that might already have been a decent chance of spinal injury for the rider and highly likely a critically damaged bike.

Lane spliting at traffic jam speeds is also totally fine. Just pay attention to what opportunities cars have to switch lanes. As long as you're inbetween two lanes that are fully occupied, the chance that a car will switch lanes suddenly is fairly small. Because there's another car occupying the space next to it.
The real danger is when a traffic jam is just forming and people start switching lanes like crazy for some reason.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 6, 2024

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Toe Rag posted:

You could apply this same argument to making left turns and causing an accident. There wasn't a car there and then there was. It's a judgement call that you can't eliminate with a blanket statement, but accidents are (mostly) avoidable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Yeah, and they are avoided most of the time. Filtering is legal here up to 50km/h with a limited speed difference, and it's completely fine. Sometimes cars actually move over for you and you see the space between lanes open for you, as if you're Moses parting the sea and it's awesome.
Lorries rarely do it because they're large and can barely make space, but i've been waved on by them if the gap's so small that i cannot be certain that the gap will keep existing if the lorry would start moving. Truckers are mostly good with looking out for bikes, but making eye contact will get harder the more mirrors are replaced by cameras, which sucks.

Sometimes pathetic shrimp dick losers make eye contact while being the only one person closing the gap. Then you just find a different route past such sad, jealous people.