Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

i am tim! posted:

So I'm finally sitting down and making myself play all the way through Dark Souls 2. In this case the Scholars of the First Sin edition. I'm going with a "Paladin Build," so balancing between Faith and Strength with some Dex thrown in there as needed, but I have a few questions. Is the Alva Set a good one to use, and for how long will it be useful? For weapons, I'm currently using a Mace and am looking to pick up a Bastard Sword (and eventually Claymore). I know these are solid weapons for a strength build, but are there any other weapons I should consider or keep an eye out for? Also, what enchants are good? I know Lightning scales with Faith but is it enough to make it a good choice? Also, what should I do for a ranged option? I hear that the Lightning Spear spell is rather underwhelming, so should I pick up a crossbow or something?

Mace is a very solid weapon throughout, especially if you keep it physical and keep upping your strength. It does good damage to pretty much everything, only real shortcoming is a lack of reach due to its more vertical light attacks (there are some hammer-class weapons with more horizontal r1s, such as the Craftsman's Hammer).

That + Claymore should keep you set for the whole game. I'd suggest keeping Mace physical, and Claymore infused with lightning for an elemental option. Will be good for enemies weak to lightning (protip: pretty much every enemy in Drangleic Castle is such an enemy due to the rain) and provide a complimentary moveset to the Mace's.

Due to the Lightning Spear nerf, Miracles are more for support. Heal (and the stronger variations) is always nice to have around, as are the various buffs). That said, Lightning Spear can come in hand if you're in an area with a lot of enemies weak to lightning. I'd suggest always having Heavenly Thunder attuned (faith Firestorm equivalent). It's a bit inconsistent with its damage, but when it works it works.

As for ranged option, I would suggest a bow. Crossbows work to but bows are all around better. I'd suggest keeping it physical as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does killing a Forlorn in someone else's world count towards the 10 total kills needed?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I'm running around trying to farm some souls to buy up some stuff before I go to NG+, I decide to go to Dragon Shrine. I'm walking up the big steps and I see the mist, I'm like wtf, must be about to be invaded. I walk on through, oh yeah, I didn't kill that big loving dragon! I got the two NPC phantoms and managed to get it down to half, but nope. Now that's one more thing I have to do before I end the playthrough, don't want to think about that with the increased difficulty.

Something something dead horse, but its so great when someone invades you and you have them down to a sliver of health, then you're standing face to face and suddenly they are back stabbing you. Holy jesus.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The Ancient Dragon is still a pain in the arse, but his fire doesn't seem to be instant death anymore.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

codo27 posted:

Something something dead horse, but its so great when someone invades you and you have them down to a sliver of health, then you're standing face to face and suddenly they are back stabbing you. Holy jesus.

I prefer when it lags out and you roll away in time, the game takes a beat, then warps you back into their dagger. "Nahhhh I'll give it to them"

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Leyburn posted:

The Ancient Dragon is still a pain in the arse, but his fire doesn't seem to be instant death anymore.

I'm not sure if the second time would kill me without healing or not, but its definitely not instant kill, for me anyway. Now when he stomps on you..

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Does killing a Forlorn in someone else's world count towards the 10 total kills needed?

Why would you need to kill Forlorn 10 times? You get all the gear in 6.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Iretep posted:

Why would you need to kill Forlorn 10 times? You get all the gear in 6.

Oh my bad, 6 then. Does it count?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Leyburn posted:

Is his health still absurd? I remember lower durability weapons being at risk of breaking in that fight because you had to hit him so many times.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I don't think his health was tweaked, so yeah, he still takes forever to kill. I don't understand why they made a boss with such a boring and simple moveset and then gave him a ton of health. It doesn't make him any more difficult, he's just a complete chore to fight. Same goes for Vendrick.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I feel like you could kill Vendrick without a Giant's Soul as long as you had enough repair powder, patience, and the desire not to want to commit suicide. There's probably a youtube of someone doing it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pretty sure you did damage to Vendrick even without any giant souls, yeah. There's a video of some guy killing bosses in Dark Souls with no weapon so I wouldn't really be surprised if someone has done this.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/62072251

And I wasn't even going for it, heh

(NG+2 Seppuku victory over Sir Alonne, no damage taken on the runback or the boss fight itself)

It is, in fact, possible to run through Memory of Sir Alonne without fighting anything (except a single fire lizard), but you do have to have enough burst damage to take down that fire lizard in a single stamina bar, otherwise you'll get trapped and overrun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does the chariot in Drangleic have Gower's ring now so it can protect horse but hole because that's amazing.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

RBA Starblade posted:

Does the chariot in Drangleic have Gower's ring now so it can protect horse but hole because that's amazing.

Yep

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Scholar Shrine of Amana went full retard, jesus christ. They just took the archdrake guys and copy pasted them a few times. Sniping doesn't work when the mages are there because they heal to full too. It's still not too hard, just snipe whenever then sprint whenever you can't, but wow, that's low effort. Drangleic at least put some fun stuff in with the sorceresses.

Beautiful

e: Still kind of weird the Demon of Song is the only actual demon in DS2 too.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 22, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sniping them does work because it aggros the melee guys but not the mages now. You can pull them all over and kill them at your leisure before sniping the mages. Amana is easier than it used to be, especially because they dumped all of the mages right next to the bonfire so you're not wasting a bunch of time if you die to them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

Sniping them does work because it aggros the melee guys but not the mages now. You can pull them all over and kill them at your leisure before sniping the mages. Amana is easier than it used to be, especially because they dumped all of the mages right next to the bonfire so you're not wasting a bunch of time if you die to them.

I was thinking specifically of the area past Rhoy's with the four mages, two archmages, and two invaders (two? I couldn't tell if Drakeblood Sam was a new npc or just a clever player or not), where the giant heal the mages do encompasses where the melee guys will go, even using the Hawk ring. I mean all you have to do is roll and poke, it's just what they did was pretty boring compared to the rest.

I did appreciate the Syan knight with his basilisk friends past the Demon though. Aldia's second visit startled me. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can pull literally every melee guy in Amana without having to go fight the mages. I don't know who Drakeblood Sam is but Sam doesn't exactly sound like a name they'd choose for an NPC.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can pull literally every melee guy in Amana without having to go fight the mages. I don't know who Drakeblood Sam is but Sam doesn't exactly sound like a name they'd choose for an NPC.

Weird, they didn't come to me at Rhoy's. They didn't even give chase when I ran past.

Hats off to Drakeblood Sam, then. :v:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Is there a good site for good/fun builds? I've been out for a while and I wouldn't mind window shopping at what other people have done, instead of reinventing the wheel, before digging in.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

RBA Starblade posted:

Scholar Shrine of Amana went full retard, jesus christ. They just took the archdrake guys and copy pasted them a few times. Sniping doesn't work when the mages are there because they heal to full too. It's still not too hard, just snipe whenever then sprint whenever you can't, but wow, that's low effort. Drangleic at least put some fun stuff in with the sorceresses.

Beautiful

e: Still kind of weird the Demon of Song is the only actual demon in DS2 too.

You can just shoot the healers three times in the face from outside of aggro range. At least, that's what I did.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can just shoot the healers three times in the face from outside of aggro range. At least, that's what I did.

My heavy crossbow was too lovely to kill them before they healed again, just the melee guys before the healer squad. I guess that's what I get for respeccing somewhat from strength into int for Soul Greatsword though.

So far I think the hardest remixed area has been Heide, and even that's just because of the dragon. They really smoothed a lot of it out.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

For me it was the opening to the Iron Keep. Making an invader spawn behind you was mean (though I was lucky enough to never die to it), but the big problem was the spot just before Smelter. I just snipe everything in that part of the area because fighting them at melee range is super unfun. Having two regular knights drop on your head as you fight a captain is even less fun than fighting one captain while a second is shooting you in the back with great arrows.

Though I guess it's not so much the hardest area so much as it is the most annoying.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Ancient Dragon is easy as gently caress, just run to his back feet and stay between the toes. Switch the legs when he tries to stomp you. I never take a single point of damage against him.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Honestly, the hardest thing I've found in this game are NPC 'players' like phantoms. They roll, guard break, do way too much damage. The only times I've had more difficulty are Fume Knight (I collapsed in a fit of laughter when beating him after I don't know how many times) and Sir Foreverallone. The Ancient Dragon seems impossible until you figure out 1) run away when you see him prepare to jump and 2) switch legs when he's about to flatten you.

I have yet to get into the other two DLCs though.

I don't know why I laughed for five minutes straight after killing Raime. I think I was driven to madness. It is by far more difficult than anything from DkS1. Way more than Kalameet, Manus, or Gwyn. I think I was driven to madness.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
FROM's always been weird about NPC enemies. In Bloodborne they've just been given maxed out stats, infinite stamina, infinite ammo and left at that.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

poptart_fairy posted:

FROM's always been weird about NPC enemies. In Bloodborne they've just been given maxed out stats, infinite stamina, infinite ammo and left at that.

Thanks for reminding me that I am mad that Bloodborne isn't on the PC.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009

i am tim! posted:

So I'm finally sitting down and making myself play all the way through Dark Souls 2. In this case the Scholars of the First Sin edition. I'm going with a "Paladin Build," so balancing between Faith and Strength with some Dex thrown in there as needed, but I have a few questions. Is the Alva Set a good one to use, and for how long will it be useful? For weapons, I'm currently using a Mace and am looking to pick up a Bastard Sword (and eventually Claymore). I know these are solid weapons for a strength build, but are there any other weapons I should consider or keep an eye out for? Also, what enchants are good? I know Lightning scales with Faith but is it enough to make it a good choice? Also, what should I do for a ranged option? I hear that the Lightning Spear spell is rather underwhelming, so should I pick up a crossbow or something?

My very first character in DS2 was a paladin. Back then Lightning Spear was still amazing. I am not sure if pyromancy spells are a good alternative for PvE. In terms of weapons, however, I want to suggest the Craftsman's Hammer. A big upgrade to the mace, looks much cooler and does more damage, but it needs Twinkling to upgrade.
If by enchants you mean the permanent elemental infusions, as far as I know those are only worthwhile in weapons that already have that elemental damage in their natural state. Such as, the Defender's Greatsword, it comes with Lightning Damage, infused with additional lightning and high faith: Tons of damage.

I am still working on my first actual SOTFS playthrough and beat the Iron Keep yesterday. Boy did they make that first, pre-smelter part frustrating and lovely.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Going through the Undead Crypt I get invaded by a guy with warmth. I nearly kill him then he falls back to Velstadt's boss door. I get a buddy summoned and we go forward, fighting the mages as the guy taunts his way further back. Then I blunder into the Dragonrider. :haw:

In the end the invader just kept hiding behind the other guys and I couldn't be bothered to chase him down so I just walked through the door, but A for effort Gaserian. I also appreciate the dark spirit that shows up if you be a jerk and light the torch a little past Agdayne.

Speaking of the Crypt, I wish they didn't move the Black Witch Staff. Oh well, I've been using the Witchtree one anyway since it casts Soul Greatsword almost instantly. I'd use Blue Flame a lot more if it wasn't so slow to cast that. It'd be like having it as a regular R2!

e: Holy gently caress Hexer Nicolai one shot me.

e: Oh that's bullshit. The Burnt Ivory King is the coolest fight in the game. He bugged out and stood there and did nothing the entire time. :(

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 23, 2015

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Just finished Crown of the Old Iron King. Palette Swap Demon was just lazy, but the other two boss fights more than make up for it. Both Fume Knight and Sir Alonne are some of the hardest boss fights I've ever had in this series, even harder than Manus. Crown of the Sunken King's bosses are comparatively easy.

Next up, Crown of the Ivory King.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Ekster posted:

Just finished Crown of the Old Iron King. Palette Swap Demon was just lazy, but the other two boss fights more than make up for it. Both Fume Knight and Sir Alonne are some of the hardest boss fights I've ever had in this series, even harder than Manus. Crown of the Sunken King's bosses are comparatively easy.

Next up, Crown of the Ivory King.

Was Alonne really supposed to be that hard? I just kept rolling right, his left, and nearly landed a Seppuku victory on my first try. I really only died due to sloppiness.

Fume Knight though...

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Fume knight was really annoying for me compared to Sir Alonne. For some reason I'm way worse at dodging delayed strong attacks than a stream of fast ones.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fume is a much harder boss than Alonne. Alonne is a lot of fun and one of my favorite bosses in the game, but he's not a particularly difficult boss.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow the Ivory King UGS hits like a truck. One smack did almost an eighth of the Watcher and Defenders' health. To both of them. Aldia's okay as a boss I guess, phantomed for someone who ran into the charged-up flames. The true lesson the Scholar taught us was to try ranged battle.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Legolas bows are gonna rule in DS3 because right now bows are just for cheesing encounters

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Fume is a much harder fight, but I didn't mind retrying him a few times because he's right next to a bonfire. Alonne, on the other hand, forces you to go through the gauntlet every time you want to fight him, which is annoying.

Fume also has a much more interesting moveset, at least in his first phase. The combination of fast and slow attacks forces you to pay close attention and time your dodges really well. Fighting Alonne is fun, too, but he feels more like an upgraded version of Lost Sinner rather than a completely unique encounter.

Average Bear posted:

Legolas bows are gonna rule in DS3 because right now bows are just for cheesing encounters

You should try a bow only run in this game or the first one. They're fun.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 24, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I wore Velstalt's helm, a weapon, and no armor against the Fume Knight. He immediately starts out in his Angst phase so his moveset is easier to predict. It took me about two dozen tries, but god drat it felt good when I did it. In his normal form, his straight sword is too loving annoying. Blocking is utterly, utterly useless against him. He chews through your stamina. Allone though, you can block with a greatshield, except for his dark stabby move.

People make comments that Sir Allone's fight is just as "epic" as Artorias, which is complete bullshit. All you know about Sir Allone is that he was an eastern knight that taught the Iron King how to fight like samurai. His lore has the depth of a puddle compared to Artorias.

Node fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 24, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fume's second phase is definitely easier than his first one, though I think it's more fun to fight him in the first phase. You should be able to knock him out of his power up like you can Logarius in Bloodborne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I never played the DLC of DS1 (because how the hell was I supposed to find it). Is it worth the time to play through