Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It's easier to list the reasons why Serini's plan isn't short sighted and non-feasible at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's easier to list the reasons why Serini's plan isn't short sighted and non-feasible at this point.

She's a rogue -- hiding is her best skill.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

She's a rogue -- hiding is her best skill.

Hiding from the truth.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Is anyone else reminded in some way of the first Miko fight? Highly prepared adventurer & companion vs. the Order.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I had a thought but doesn't Roy have a potential work around for the memory wipe? His ghost dad who I assume it watching things, can fill him in that he got memory wiped, his team will believe him and they just go back but now on their guard.

So in a way Serini's plan is doomed.

Serini's plan is fine for someone with her knowledge. Turns out there's a lot of poo poo she doesn't know about.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The exchange at the end of book six suggests that Serini knows about the end of the world stuff. I guess we'll get some exposition soon.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
My immediate concern here is now that Serini has established she has a cheerful beholder daughter and other monster friends, when her plan inevitably goes tits up in one fashion or another it's all gonna come down on them because not a single member of the scribblers has gotten away with underestimating the threat of Xykon.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Caidin posted:

My immediate concern here is now that Serini has established she has a cheerful beholder daughter and other monster friends, when her plan inevitably goes tits up in one fashion or another it's all gonna come down on them because not a single member of the scribblers has gotten away with underestimating the threat of Xykon.

She's said she's just gonna let them do whatever they want to, hasn't she?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Caidin posted:

Given that Xykon nearly killed Serini, I imagine she has her dander up more than most people not on the protagonist team about him.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

sebmojo posted:

She's said she's just gonna let them do whatever they want to, hasn't she?

Sure, but her take is that Xykon is just gonna blackmail the pantheons and play god king for a decades or maybe centuries before he gets overthrown, and maybe along the way the trolls and bugbears and gribbly underdogs of the world will get a better position at things for awhile.

She's righting him off too cheaply, underestimating the carnage he's capable of like he'd just be like Elan's dad or something.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Given that Xykon nearly killed Serini, I imagine she has her dander up more than most people not on the protagonist team about him.

She's well aware that she can't do anything to him and is willing to let bygones be bygones

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Clarste posted:

Speaking of which, both Girard and Soon had set up organizations that could continue the work of protecting the Gate after they died, but does Serini have anything like or is she just planning to live forever?

Given that Serini didn't even envision sticking around to defend the gate herself (she originally left it and went back to adventuring), I'm thinking she assumed her whole setup here was originally envisioned to be self-sustaining, without any need for active extra help. Probably not a terrible assumption, given that even with all the illusioners dead, Girard's last-ditch backup plan was still good enough to deflect one high-level party with a ton of magic at their disposal.

Similarly, Dorukan's final defense for the gate was that magic rune that zapped anyone who wasn't good at heart. Even with Dorukan dead and the dungeon overrun with Xykon's lackeys, that final defense held to the point where Xykon needed to engage in an overcomplicated ruse to attempt to lure a party of heroic-ish adventurers into doing it for him.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I had a thought but doesn't Roy have a potential work around for the memory wipe? His ghost dad who I assume it watching things, can fill him in that he got memory wiped, his team will believe him and they just go back but now on their guard.

So in a way Serini's plan is doomed.

It's unlikely that Roy's dad would bother, since last time he appeared, he seemed totally on board with the whole "let the gods destroy the world" thing. He doesn't give a crap about the world, he just needs Xykon dead - and it doesn't really matter who does the actual killing. And since he's got zero faith in Roy's ability to beat Xykon, he figures Xykon finding the gate and getting unmade in a divine panic will solve the "can't get into heaven" problem just as well and just as quickly.

As for the gods, they have explicit rules against telling their followers where the Gates are, so telling them that they actually did find the Gate but were brainwashed afterward would probably fall under that umbrella. The party can't count on much direct divine guidance (like telling them things they don't already know) in this quest.

Aside from that, as far as we know, they haven't magically corresponded with anyone else since they arrived at the Gate. If they come back thinking "turns out the coordinates Hinjo gave us were fake, the real Gate is somewhere else", who's going to doubt it? They've even got precedent for it, since they've already discovered that Girard gave the Sapphire Guard fake coordinates.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sorry for noting the obvious but it's a pretty keen trick using the monster to seal the door shut and 100% defeat all standard attempts at trap-finding and stonecunning.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SuperKlaus posted:

Sorry for noting the obvious but it's a pretty keen trick using the monster to seal the door shut and 100% defeat all standard attempts at trap-finding and stonecunning.

Following up on this, if you look carefully at the 3rd-to-last and 2nd-to-last panels here you can see the stalagmites morphing: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1237.html

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SKULL.GIF posted:

Following up on this, if you look carefully at the 3rd-to-last and 2nd-to-last panels here you can see the stalagmites morphing: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1237.html

That's just the camera panning I think

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Random Stranger posted:

I can't believe you racists think all beholders look the same. They don't all know each other, either.

And don't use "eye tyrant". That's offensive.

Well generally Beholders all hate each other.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That's just the camera panning I think

Yeah they look like different cuts of the 4th panel.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

ultrafilter posted:

The exchange at the end of book six suggests that Serini knows about the end of the world stuff. I guess we'll get some exposition soon.

Not necessarily -- that could just be Serini knowing that the world ends if the last gate gets destroyed and being all "well, this plan is probably gonna fail, but may as well give it our best shot" to Sunny.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

seaborgium posted:

You can always have some torches just in case, and use whichever works best in the moment. Having an emergency torch or two just in case seems like a smart thing to do for most adventurers.

I, for one, never leave home without a 50' rope and a 10' pole.

IRL.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What kind of monster is blocking the door?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
A mimic

the name „Mimi” is a subtle hint

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I would make so much money in D&D world if I could design and patent a 10' collapsible pole.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

habeasdorkus posted:

I would make so much money in D&D world if I could design and patent a 10' collapsible pole.

The Rod of Lordly Might?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

habeasdorkus posted:

That's in the description of the 10ft pole item :confused:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
OP said "and patent," that's where you fence it off and start charging

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

habeasdorkus posted:

Rent seekers! :argh:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'm playing a patent troll, obviously.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

habeasdorkus posted:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

habeasdorkus posted:

The level adjustment is rough, play a patent orc instead.

A Good Time
Dec 20, 2015

What was that forums CYOA where the hivemind picked a 10ft dungeoneering pole as equipment, and they got an extremely tall eastern european archaeologist? That happened right..?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yes. I don't remember which one, but I think it was one of applewhite's.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

A Good Time posted:

What was that forums CYOA where the hivemind picked a 10ft dungeoneering pole as equipment, and they got an extremely tall eastern european archaeologist? That happened right..?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yes. I don't remember which one, but I think it was one of applewhite's.

It was Sword of the Bastard Elf.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Which the author made into a fully-fledged gamebook, and which can be purchased in hardcopy. (It's about the size of a telephone directory.)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Holy moly that rules.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Whybird posted:

Which the author made into a fully-fledged gamebook, and which can be purchased in hardcopy. (It's about the size of a telephone directory.)

Holy poo poo

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Whybird posted:

Not going to lie: I am severely tempted to get a copy for the absurdity of it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh I'm a mutual with her on twitter! She rules!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
A thread for the hardcopy was traveling around the subforums for a bit. Did it miss here?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, that was 6 years ago now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
New one!

Should you shoot the one active threat first, even if it's hard to hit - or should you take care of the non-dodgy, but not firing wizard before?

(Answer - you don't waste your surprise round on shooting a guy with a sword, rather than the archer)