Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

1glitch0 posted:

That's dumb too, but it's built into the match. Those are the rules. Like how you can run around the ring barrier and on the table in the Rumble as long as you don't touch the ground. There is no established rule that 4 referees need to race into the ring and hold up a ladder whenever someone tries to climb it.

Actually, I've got the AEW rule book right here, and it says, clearly, in section 5A, Ladder Matches, part 3, "In the case of a wrestler who is climbing or is about to climb an unstable ladder, for the sake of safety, the referee will help to secure the ladder without unduly interfering in the match or blocking the available side of the ladder. The referee must perform this duty consistently so as not to unfairly bias the potential outcomes of the match."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I still don’t get how it’s dumb when it’s been done in every single ladder match since the beginning of ladder matches.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1glitch0 posted:

That's dumb too, but it's built into the match. Those are the rules. Like how you can run around the ring barrier and on the table in the Rumble as long as you don't touch the ground. There is no established rule that 4 referees need to race into the ring and hold up a ladder whenever someone tries to climb it.

I must've missed the subsection in the rules that requires the ref to open the door but there not being one that allows them to hold ladders even though they do.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

El Generico posted:

Actually, I've got the AEW rule book right here, and it says, clearly, in section 5A, Ladder Matches, part 3, "In the case of a wrestler who is climbing or is about to climb an unstable ladder, for the sake of safety, the referee will help to secure the ladder without unduly interfering in the match or blocking the available side of the ladder. The referee must perform this duty consistently so as not to unfairly bias the potential outcomes of the match."

can confirm this is the case

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

1glitch0 posted:

This is one of those assumptions that you appear to have made that others have not made

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think it's all stupid!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

Tell me you've never played or even seen a game of Floor is Lava without telling me.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

El Generico posted:

gonna be disappointed if this isn't on the elgin test

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

The_Rob posted:

I still don’t get how it’s dumb when it’s been done in every single ladder match since the beginning of ladder matches.

I don't remember it in the AEW ladder matches I've seen since 2021 or so. I guess the problem here is 1glitch0 feels that AEW is superior to every wrestling show ever produced and is disappointed y'all won't hold them to the higher standard such quality demands.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Eh, they get held all the time, but in the spirit of being overly fair they usually don’t have 4 refs holding them together in the middle of the ring and in the centre of the shot for a very long time before they cut to a close up of the person on the ladder.

It’s still an absolute nothingburger being latched onto by the worst people in wrestling discourse but they definitely could have not lingered on the wide shot with all the bodies in it as long as they did.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

I don't remember it in the AEW ladder matches I've seen since 2021 or so. I guess the problem here is 1glitch0 feels that AEW is superior to every wrestling show ever produced and is disappointed y'all won't hold them to the higher standard such quality demands.

The highest rated ladder match in the company has a ref holding the ladder for the biggest spot in the match because it would be impossible to do safely otherwise.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
"Refs holding ladders" is the new "Slapping the leg" discourse where suddenly people are gonna pretend it's some awful new trend that only mudshows like AEW perpetrate when in reality it's something that happens all the god drat time and only angers the most insane internet-poisoned weirdos.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I think the issue is that some people can't be happy or even try to have some fun and chill. They are always miserable and try to make sure everyone else has the same. I'm sure most of them don't even watch wrestling besides some clips and all are "wrestling was better back then".

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Case in point:
https://twitter.com/WRESTLECringe/status/1632123747367895043?t=wo707YDOYsUMe8DFao34Sw&s=19

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

yeeeaaah there's a ton of that, good on that guy just flat out admitting he doesn't watch, but that's still weird. Like where was he expecting to see Andretti if not AEW TV?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
i am baffled by the obsessiobn by people still talking about it and i outright said it was a botch becasue well the ladder broke so poo poo happened, but the way people are talking about it still i literally just thought it was funny moment get on with life but now its loving discourse who the hell cares wrestling is dumb sometimes and its good to laugh when things go wrong

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/nsastevens/status/1613739223764320256?s=46&t=bbVAetI2_DV7aCjhIGsFZA

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Triple HHH sending all the NXT guys to invade Dark Elevation or something

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I don't really think going from on wrestling monopoly to another is great regardless of who does what

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

wwe being taken away is very tempting but if tony owned all of wrestling he would start providing shittier terms and any sort of accommodations for various things. that's the way it goes, though i guess part of it would be how seriously shad khan takes it after that. they suck at that stuff with their sports franchises compared to other team owners except for the cincinnati bengals. the cincinnati bengals are in last place in the entire world.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
at first blush I read that as a relatively benign fantasy, both companies wind up owned by someone who loves wrestling and are their own thing/unchanged. As if all they want is for WWE to not have to deal with Vince or the Saudis and TK could be a path to it.

Except that's not what they're saying, is it? They basically want AEW and ROH to be WWE brands operating on WWE's model.

Ah reading further in, it is more like what I first thought and really is just a "I fear Vince will run the promo into the ground and TK could be a path away from that"

they also said ultimately they prefer ESPN or Disney as the buyer for WWE

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 5, 2023

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
First RAW after Tony's purchase opens with guest host Dana White promoting Power Slap and berating Helwani.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
https://twitter.com/lennard57/status/1632215732711817219

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/DSMTHEMAN/status/1631405805890158592?t=XZpoKzD4WfxmRTgWXAQhpw&s=19

The best part is that even the AEW haters are dunking on this list in the replies.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

To be fair, ....... have been putting on some great matches lately.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

List is crazy, I’d rather watch yarders hurt themselves with hilariously poorly thought out highspots than anything from like half the companies in that top 10.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
When will Tony set up a training facility so that 30 year vet Chris Jericho can get the reps he needs? :qq:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
An all timer idiot discussion
https://twitter.com/yomamahouce/status/1632115164697841671

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Are there not considerably more hours per week of WWE TV than there are AEW TV?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

Not if you include the 36 hour Darks

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

How can you look at a compilation of people failing to catch people and bring up The Miz?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

To see how good Komander is you have to watch hours and hours of Lucha for the complete lore of the rope walk dive.

If AEW only hired ex-WWE guys instead you wouldn't have to spend months educating yourself on inexplicable anomalies like Takeshita or Sammy Guevara.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

fez_machine posted:

To see how good Komander is you have to watch hours and hours of Lucha for the complete lore of the rope walk dive.

If AEW only hired ex-WWE guys instead you wouldn't have to spend months educating yourself on inexplicable anomalies like Takeshita or Sammy Guevara.

It's true, I remember when New Japan used CIMA last year I had to watch 20 years of Toryumon, Dragongate & GLEAT to understand the lore of the Meteora

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I am sometimes baffled by the extent to which people affect confusion about these things. Like, I've heard people complain about the idea of AEW storylines happening on Dark. And by "storylines" they mean "Matt Hardy tagging with Ethan Page"

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

It's true, I remember when New Japan used CIMA last year I had to watch 20 years of Toryumon, Dragongate & GLEAT to understand the lore of the Meteora

The Cruiserweight Classic solved all these issues by being in WWE

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

fez_machine posted:

The Cruiserweight Classic solved all these issues by being in WWE

They should bring it back 😍

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Excited to see Atlantis vs YO-HEY at Full Sail.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lamuella posted:

Excited to see Atlantis vs YO-HEY at Full Sail.

No, make it Atlantis vs HAYATA please

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

forkboy84 posted:

Meteora lore is kinda cute actually; it's literally just the landmark in Greece where CIMA proposed to his wife, so he named his move after it. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ugh can't believe I have to own both a PS1 AND a GameCube to understand Kenny Omega's finishing moves

Bonk posted:

Meteora lore is kinda cute actually; it's literally just the landmark in Greece where CIMA proposed to his wife, so he named his move after it. :3:

So about as Byzantine as the Windham Rotunda fanfic, got it.