Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

A couple months ago I received an upsetting and sensitive e-mail. Ever since then, the task switcher on my iPhone 7+ shows any Gmail tab that I have open as that exact e-mail. Full-screen, unblurred, all the text right there for anyone looking.

I've tried closing all iOS tasks. I've tried rebooting the phone. I've used the Gmail app to view plenty of different e-mails since then. Any other ideas?

(Why did the task manager folks introduce blurring for the photos app to help keep recent privacy-sensitive stuff from popping up unexpectedly, but not remember to do this for any other app?)

Did you delete and reinstall the app? That should have been the third thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

MarcusSA posted:

Did you delete and reinstall the app? That should have been the third thing.

I bet this will fix it. Then yell at Google for still making lovely, buggy iOS apps in 2019.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Does anyone know how to hell to turn the volume of Siri up when she announces messages?? It’s not the ringers and alerts slider that’s for sure. She’s way too quiet for my deaf rear end ears.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
General volume setting, I’m pretty sure.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

General volume setting, I’m pretty sure.

It’s not that either.

:shrug:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I think Siri has its own volume setting that’s only adjustable via the buttons while it’s speaking.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Weedle posted:

I think Siri has its own volume setting that’s only adjustable via the buttons while it’s speaking.

I am not shocked to find this is the case. Gonna have to find her something long to read so I can do it. When I get a text I am not free to grab my phone to adjust the volume lol.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I've seen that in Apple CarPlay. Stuff like turn-by-turn directions come out of a single speaker near the driver whereas everything else is full blast. You can change the volume of that single speaker, but only when it's actively saying something. I have no idea if that's a CarPay thing or a U-Connect.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nah my aftermarket Pioneer head unit works the same way.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

MarcusSA posted:

I am not shocked to find this is the case. Gonna have to find her something long to read so I can do it. When I get a text I am not free to grab my phone to adjust the volume lol.
Ask the population of the US, that’ll give you four seconds or so.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Ask the population of the US, that’ll give you four seconds or so.

I just asked her the weather and held down the volume button as she started talking, it was up to full before she was even half done.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TVs Ian posted:

I just asked her the weather and held down the volume button as she started talking, it was up to full before she was even half done.

Perfect thanks! I’ll try both tomorrow

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, I'm just about done with a full work day with the AirPods Pro and I'm in love. Sound is good enough, noise cancellation works well enough, and they're comfortable.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I hope companies like Comply make some foam tips for the Airpods Pro. I love mine, but the large tips are slightly too big for my ears, and the mediums are a little too small.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
My only complaint with the Pros so far is that the behavior with fast forwarding / rewinding in downcast is really janky. It takes 2-3 seconds for it to actually start playing again where on my old airpods it would just jump 30 forward or back as I tap. It's almost as if it is re-queuing up the audio or something. Very janky.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I figured out why my ringer kept getting turned down: connecting the phone to my car's bluetooth sets the ringer to whatever the main volume level is, and I usually keep it at about 20%.

That seems like a bug

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Fallom posted:

I figured out why my ringer kept getting turned down: connecting the phone to my car's bluetooth sets the ringer to whatever the main volume level is, and I usually keep it at about 20%.

That seems like a bug

do you have the volume buttons set to change ringer volume? I know my car stereo sets the playback volume on the phone to about 65% but the volume on the phone doesnt actually change the stereo volume in the car.

maybe a combination of buttons change ringer volume + that = changed ringer volume?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Laserface posted:

do you have the volume buttons set to change ringer volume? I know my car stereo sets the playback volume on the phone to about 65% but the volume on the phone doesnt actually change the stereo volume in the car.

maybe a combination of buttons change ringer volume + that = changed ringer volume?

I thought it was the buttons at first but grew suspicious when I had the “change with button” setting for the ringer turned off. It’s definitely the phone or the car inappropriately setting ringer volume when it should be setting only the playback volume while it’s connected.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

TraderStav posted:

My only complaint with the Pros so far is that the behavior with fast forwarding / rewinding in downcast is really janky. It takes 2-3 seconds for it to actually start playing again where on my old airpods it would just jump 30 forward or back as I tap. It's almost as if it is re-queuing up the audio or something. Very janky.

Honestly, Bluetooth is still acting janky as hell in iOS 13, so it could be that.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
AirPod Pros are pretty damned fantastic.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

iOS 13 is definitely the worst release I've experienced on any iphone.

Im still on 13.1.2 due to the reports of aggressive memory management in 13.2, but even now Im getting apps that hang and a force quit + relaunch encounters the same problem, the phone getting hot randomly, app store updates not applying, sometimes wifi/4G data not working at all, and I've rebooted my phone more times this week than I would have over the course of the entire previous year.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Laserface posted:

iOS 13 is definitely the worst release I've experienced on any iphone.

Im still on 13.1.2 due to the reports of aggressive memory management in 13.2, but even now Im getting apps that hang and a force quit + relaunch encounters the same problem, the phone getting hot randomly, app store updates not applying, sometimes wifi/4G data not working at all, and I've rebooted my phone more times this week than I would have over the course of the entire previous year.
Don't forget Reminders turning to utter dogshit. There's now a 4 second delay between me hitting "New Reminder" and the keyboard coming up. Then about six seconds if I hit the little (i) with the world's smallest hitbox to try to enter in a reminder time (which now needs an extra toggle box to make, since it default to just a reminder date otherwise).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Question Mark Mound posted:

Don't forget Reminders turning to utter dogshit. There's now a 4 second delay between me hitting "New Reminder" and the keyboard coming up. Then about six seconds if I hit the little (i) with the world's smallest hitbox to try to enter in a reminder time (which now needs an extra toggle box to make, since it default to just a reminder date otherwise).

I don’t get those delays so I dunno what you’re talking about but you can just set the date and time (and location) in the title:

Tap the buttons on the bottom.

I do 💯 agree with you that the (i) has an impossibly tiny hit box though. Once I found out they natural language input works I don’t really have to tap on the (i) anymore.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 5, 2019

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t get those delays so I dunno what you’re talking about but you can just set the date and time (and location) in the title:
This works up to a point until you want to mention a different date or time in the reminder. e.g. "Sign up for Saturday class tomorrow 8pm" (i.e., I want to be reminded tomorrow at 8pm to "Sign up for Saturday class" suggests a reminder for Saturday at 8pm with the message "Sign up for" so I'll need to go into the menu anyway.

The delay seems shorter on lists with very few items (e.g. it's only 2 seconds on a list with 6 items, but took 10 seconds on a list with 25 items). Maybe I should just delete and recreate all my reminders and hope for the best!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah I don't have these issues at all.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Question Mark Mound posted:

I have this problem as well. I've basically stopped using reminders because it's no longer possible to quickly make a grocery list. Have you transferred to the 'new type' yet? I haven't, that might be causing it. I don't want to switch yet since my mac is still on Mojave and I have no plans to update because Catalina sounds like even more of a clusterfuck than iOS 13.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

LPG Giant posted:

I have this problem as well. I've basically stopped using reminders because it's no longer possible to quickly make a grocery list. Have you transferred to the 'new type' yet? I haven't, that might be causing it. I don't want to switch yet since my mac is still on Mojave and I have no plans to update because Catalina sounds like even more of a clusterfuck than iOS 13.
Yeah I transferred to the new type during the beta. Maybe there's still some weird holdover item that's causing the problems so I'll do a full clear of all my lists tonight and recreate the lot of them and hope for the best. I had about a full month of them not syncing properly between my iPhone and my iPad and they're only now finally back showing the same lists.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Chiming in to gripe too! "Hey Siri" STILL doesn't work most of the day, no matter how many times I toggle it off/on-retrain. When it does work, half the time it can't add a reminder (my most often use) telling me "something went wrong with the app." No poo poo, Siri. This lack of "Hey" extends to my apple watch as well. Sometimes they both don't work, sometimes it's just one but not the other.

About to do a backup (just in case), then restore my phone as a "new" phone and see if a fresh start will help... because that's the first thing the Genius Bar will require anyhow.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I've been largely OK with iOS 13 but 13.2 is absolutely being aggressive about killing apps off in memory. I'll open an email in Outlook, click a link in said email to open a Safari tab, and if I wait any more than 3 seconds to task switch back to Outlook, it relaunches. Whatever, though -- phones are so drat fast these days that it just amounts to 0.75 seconds of inconvenience.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Mahoning posted:

Honestly, Bluetooth is still acting janky as hell in iOS 13, so it could be that.

Bluetooth is just a janky rear end technology period. It’s a wonder this poo poo works more than half the time.

Fake edit: I used to work on Bluetooth drivers and devices. What a terrible loving thing to work on.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Dick Nipples posted:

Bluetooth is just a janky rear end technology period. It’s a wonder this poo poo works more than half the time.

Fake edit: I used to work on Bluetooth drivers and devices. What a terrible loving thing to work on.

I find it amazing that a technology that has been on the market for 20 years can still have so many drat problems. Why can no one get this right?!

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
This seems like a good time to chime in and say that Todoist wipes the floor with Reminders in iOS and whatever reminder functionality is built into Google Calendar / Tasks. It's more than worth the $36 annual fee.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

stevewm posted:

I find it amazing that a technology that has been on the market for 20 years can still have so many drat problems. Why can no one get this right?!

Probably because the code is 20 years old. Someone smarter than me once explained that Microsoft is still using a bluetooth stack written by Toshiba way back in prehistoric times, which is why it's so hilariously unreliable on anything running a Microsoft OS.

In my experience it's generally reliable in the Apple world. Only place I have issues is this one intersection I occasionally drive through, there's a large cell tower right there and any time I go by pretty much anything wireless stops working.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

stevewm posted:

To put it simply, the Bluetooth specifications are comically vague. Every manufacturer interprets different things a little differently and then everyone ends up needing to add poo poo to compensate for weird assumptions they made.

Also - making disparate poo poo talk to each other sanely is harder than you’d expect when the patch lifecycle for a car’s Bluetooth system is basically “never”. As opposed to your PC or Mac where you can update the drivers.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CaptainCrunch posted:

Chiming in to gripe too! "Hey Siri" STILL doesn't work most of the day, no matter how many times I toggle it off/on-retrain.

Any time someone walks into my office whose name begins with an S, or sometimes a C, and I say hey to them.... BEEP.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I want to get AirPod Pros or AirPods Pro but my Mac is a Hackintosh and I use my AirPods on my computer more than anything. This is Apple's way of punishing me, no doubt.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

LODGE NORTH posted:

I want to get AirPod Pros or AirPods Pro but my Mac is a Hackintosh and I use my AirPods on my computer more than anything. This is Apple's way of punishing me, no doubt.

If you have a free USB slot open. Just grab a Bluetooth dongle and plug it in.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

xzzy posted:

Probably because the code is 20 years old. Someone smarter than me once explained that Microsoft is still using a bluetooth stack written by Toshiba way back in prehistoric times, which is why it's so hilariously unreliable on anything running a Microsoft OS.

In my experience it's generally reliable in the Apple world. Only place I have issues is this one intersection I occasionally drive through, there's a large cell tower right there and any time I go by pretty much anything wireless stops working.

Pretty much every issue I've ever had was able to trace to the receiving device being the culprit. So many headunits in so many cars suck at Bluetooth.

The older Microsoft based SYNC system in older Ford vehicles is terrible... It is Windows CE with a equally ancient Bluetooth stack. I had nothing but trouble with that POS. Bluetooth worked 60% of the time, and when it did screwup, the only way to fix it was to pull the fuse to the SYNC module and let it fully reboot (shutting off the car wasn't enough). I eventually added a switch under the dash so I could do it quickly.

Ford eventually released a update that actually listed "improved reliability with modern phones" as a change list item. It also added features like track titles and reading texts. And it did indeed make it considerably more reliable.. More like 95% instead of 60%. Still had to use the switch occasionally though.

On a side note: For anyone having bluetooth issues with their car's headunit. A few manufactuers do allow the end-user to update the headunit.. Ford, Chrysler, KIA, etc.. Ford for example puts the updates on their MyFord/Owners website. Sometimes they have updates that fix BT related issues.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

e it posted twice on its own not me

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

enojy posted:

I've been largely OK with iOS 13 but 13.2 is absolutely being aggressive about killing apps off in memory. I'll open an email in Outlook, click a link in said email to open a Safari tab, and if I wait any more than 3 seconds to task switch back to Outlook, it relaunches. Whatever, though -- phones are so drat fast these days that it just amounts to 0.75 seconds of inconvenience.

I'm getting seriously loving fed up with this. Half of the time I get in the car it doesn't launch Overcast/Spotify because they were booted from memory. Sometimes I open a link from an email and it relaunches Firefox which I was just in moments before. It is way too aggressive with killing off apps in memory and yeah its just seconds but its damned annoying. They really need to dial this back.