Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When I did my no death run, at one point I made a single greedy mistake in the throne watcher/defender fight and they both just fuckin blitzed me at the same time and I went down to a sliver of health left from full. With them being right at the end of the game it was a little terrifying. Didn't stop me but it was a reminder to never take dumb chances in a no death run. Never go for items that require you to jump or drop to them, and avoid optional stuff like the chariot. Just forget them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have never managed to dodge those loving explosions at the Giant Lord fight. I just slash then chug.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

RBA Starblade posted:

I have never managed to dodge those loving explosions at the Giant Lord fight. I just slash then chug.

The Giant Lord is easy as hell to kill with an Avelyn because he will only do the overhead smash over and over. Once you learn the timing you never get hit.

I farmed him till the bonfire was at +58. Funnily enough, every once in a while I'd say Rummond and Benhart summon signs, but it wasn't consistent.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You shouldn't be fighting the Giant Lord where the explosions can hit you in the first place

tho yeah, if you have a decent ranged option you can cheese the fight a little by going up the stairs near where he stands and shooting him over and over because he can only do like one attack and you can't get hit by the mortars

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

You shouldn't be fighting the Giant Lord where the explosions can hit you in the first place

They do regardless where I try to stand I have no clue where they stop. :argh:

The boss itself usually doesn't hit me though. The giant rolling head did once. :haw:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Where the boss is standing is totally safe from the fireballs

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Manatee Cannon posted:

tho yeah, if you have a decent ranged option you can cheese the fight a little by going up the stairs near where he stands and shooting him over and over because he can only do like one attack and you can't get hit by the mortars

Ah bows, is there anything they can't cheese?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Even without bows, I can't say I've ever gotten hit by the mortars. I've seen Benhart get rocked by them but we all know he's taken a few too many blows to the head.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

Where the boss is standing is totally safe from the fireballs

I thought I blew up there before. Maybe I'm pulling him back though; I'll try just hauling rear end past him once I get the Ashen Mist Heart (went there now and got confused why nothing was happening) then see. The first time I beat him I just fired a great resonant soul, backstepped, healed, repeated. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fighting at range isn't what saves you from the fireballs. Literally all you have to do is fight the boss where he's standing because he stands in a safe zone. It's lame but not hard.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Fighting at range isn't what saves you from the fireballs. Literally all you have to do is fight the boss where he's standing because he stands in a safe zone. It's lame but not hard.

It's pretty easy to get hung up on geometry and get nailed by fireballs on the run in. At least I'm pretty sure that's why it was brought up as an issue for a no-death run.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I always get hit by the fireballs at least once but it's never enough to kill me. Just use flash sweat and they're no danger of killing you before you just heal it back.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I like that the Giant Lord's arena in the rerelease has an even bigger variety of enemies in it.

Actually all the Giant Memories have actual skirmishes raging now. That was a cool touch.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Man, the Ivory King UGS is pretty much the wand you wave to make all the bad men go away. It's one-shotting half the guys in Brume.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Good news: I made it to rank 3 in the bellkeeper covenant

Bad news: Most of those kills were thanks to the jackass Mad Warrior who STILL won't drop his loving leg armor! :argh:

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

Good news: I made it to rank 3 in the bellkeeper covenant

Bad news: Most of those kills were thanks to the jackass Mad Warrior who STILL won't drop his loving leg armor! :argh:

Have you done Crown of the Old Iron King yet? There's a couple of Mad Warrior spawns if you go to the third boss.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ekster posted:

Have you done Crown of the Old Iron King yet? There's a couple of Mad Warrior spawns if you go to the third boss.

I GOT IT! 88 Predators murdered. gently caress you forever Belfry Sol.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Man, the Ivory King UGS is pretty much the wand you wave to make all the bad men go away. It's one-shotting half the guys in Brume.

It's pretty ridiculous. It doesn't hurt that the range on it is right around spear/halberd levels.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

How do you farm the Mad Warrior set on Belfry Sol? I farmed it on Brume Tower using ascetics and hosed myself upping bonfire intensity to like 6 :v:

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Guillermus posted:

How do you farm the Mad Warrior set on Belfry Sol? I farmed it on Brume Tower using ascetics and hosed myself upping bonfire intensity to like 6 :v:

He has around a 1/5 chance of spawning next to the ladder tower if you warp in or rest at the bonfire while in the Bell covenant, and he doesn't run out of spawns so you don't need to burn ascetics to farm him. It's the only way to rank up the covenant if you're only playing offline, and the only way to get his gear if you don't have the DLC or SotFS.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

TaurusOxford posted:

May as well kill 12 more just to max out the covenant and get the Bell Keeper's poo poo

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In the last 2-3 months, I've made 5 low level PvP characters, SM 350k to 500k, with three of them being successes and two failures. I'm probably going to make another one soon. Here are the things I've come to note in regards to PvP.

1) The three best PvP builds are str/dex, dex/int, int/fth.
2) The better PvP weapons are rapier, estoc, ice rapier, bandit axe, warped sword, murakumo, sanctum mace, claymore, mirrah greatsword, loyce greatsword, grand lance, heide lance, santier's spear (broken), syan's halberd, blacksmith's hammer, uchigatana (probably a couple other katanas as well) silverblack spear, partizan, greatsword, zweihander. There's probably a few more, but I've only put ones I either used, or saw consistently perform well.
3) Power stance is bad.
4) If you dual wield it's best to have a larger slower weapon and a smaller faster weapon.
5) Shields are the best counter to thrust weapons, but it seems they're underused by higher skilled players and overused by lower skilled players.
6) Hexes, Sorcery, and Pyromancy are all good. Miracles are bad
7) The best source of lighting damage is a lightning enchanted high base damage weapon.
8) Armor makes a huge difference in sustainability, and the chest piece is the most important part by far. If it isn't worth upgrading the chest piece at all, it's probably not a good chest piece for PvP.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm by no means an experienced pvper (I've won maybe 3 of the dozens of invasions I've had) but from the youtube videos I've seen miracles are used for buffs in pvp, like Greater Magic Barrier or the one you get from Velstaldt's Soul. Or if you want to troll and knock people off cliffs with Force.

I guess Sunlight Blade too, but there is resin for that.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Uchigatana?

Better than Chaos Blade? I think not.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Things that make Raime hard:

-Raime poking you the exact moment before your estus chug would heal you, killing you.
-Raime's attacks being slightly off to roll from than you'd expect.
-That stupid rear end spiral flame attack argh

Things that make Raime harder:

-Your phantom friend accidentally casting Warmth in the center of the arena. :shepicide:

We still got him though! Took four tries. Turns out the ice rapier AND small shields suck against him!

quote:

3) Power stance is bad.

no

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Actually the ice rapier is extremely cool and ftw against Raime. Quick pokes win the day.

However, if you use the Ice Rapier in PvP then you are a dumb no-skill baby.

Also rolling through Raime's attacks is really fun, especially when you've mastered the timings for all of his attacks.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

gtrmp posted:

He has around a 1/5 chance of spawning next to the ladder tower if you warp in or rest at the bonfire while in the Bell covenant, and he doesn't run out of spawns so you don't need to burn ascetics to farm him. It's the only way to rank up the covenant if you're only playing offline, and the only way to get his gear if you don't have the DLC or SotFS.

Wait. You can get his gear without farming him in DLC/SotFS? I'd like to hear how, each wiki entry I've seen said it requires ridiculous farming.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's just before the Smelter Demon fight in the iron king DLC.

edit: I should clarify that I mean there is a warrior there who drops the set, not the set by itself. Looking it up on the wiki to make sure I am not wrong which I should have done, actually there is a guaranteed group of four or more of them there. They don't respawn, but they do come back with bonfire ascetics, which is much better than a 1/5th chance to get a very slim single-digit percent chance of one of five possible drops.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 26, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

CJacobs posted:

It's just before the Smelter Demon fight in the iron king DLC.

edit: I should clarify that I mean there is a warrior there who drops the set, not the set by itself. Looking it up on the wiki to make sure I am not wrong which I should have done, actually there is a guaranteed group of four or more of them there. They don't respawn, but they do come back with bonfire ascetics, which is much better than a 1/5th chance to get a very slim single-digit percent chance of one of five possible drops.

You mean, before Allone?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

fennesz posted:

Wait. You can get his gear without farming him in DLC/SotFS? I'd like to hear how, each wiki entry I've seen said it requires ridiculous farming.

about twenty seconds with cheat engine

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

lets hang out posted:

about twenty seconds with cheat engine

Bu..but, I might get softbanned :tinfoil:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mr Dog posted:

Actually the ice rapier is extremely cool and ftw against Raime. Quick pokes win the day.

However, if you use the Ice Rapier in PvP then you are a dumb no-skill baby.

Also rolling through Raime's attacks is really fun, especially when you've mastered the timings for all of his attacks.

Oh the quick thrusts were fine it just seemed to do almost nothing to him once he powered up.

I am a dumb no-skill baby but I balance that out by using a lot of weapons and it only sometimes.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
What are some decent boss soul weapons? I upgraded the Fume UGS, and its okay, but really heavy. I'm a strength build with some faith and dexterity.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Azran posted:

You mean, before Allone?

Whoops, I forgot that the Smelter Throne bonfire is not actually before the Smelter Demon as the name implies :downsgun:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

fennesz posted:

without cheating? unsure. Best way without cheat engine farming method i have used is opening up the task manager, rest at sol bonfire a few times until the memory allocation levels out. then rest, wait a two or 3 seconds and if the memory jumps 5 or 10 megs hes up there.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 26, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Just clear the section of Iron Keep the Belfry Sol bonfire is near and the Belfry itself and use Unveil. If the floating eye goes through the grates, hes up. If not, sit at the bonfire and repeat. Incredibly simple. Took me a couple hours to get rank 3 in the covenant and the Mad Warrior drops.

Node fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 26, 2015

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Willfrey posted:

without cheating? unsure. Best way without cheat engine farming method i have used is opening up the task manager, rest at sol bonfire a few times until the memory allocation levels out. then rest, wait a two or 3 seconds and if the memory jumps 5 or 10 megs hes up there.
Did that, works really well. I got all of his gear during a boring train ride.

Node posted:

What are some decent boss soul weapons? I upgraded the Fume UGS, and its okay, but really heavy. I'm a strength build with some faith and dexterity.
If you can wield Velstadt's Hammer, it's amazing. Don't bother with the R2, though. The Dragonrider Bow is a very good backup bow unless you're into really heavy duty bows. Chariot Lance owns and you should give it a try. Butcher's Knife is solid. The Defender Greatsword got nerfed a lot iirc, but it's still solid and fun to use. Never used Thorned Greatsword, but it could be good. Bow of Want is also nice.

Might have missed some. Handy list.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Then I guess I'll throw in my opinions too. The Smelter Soul that makes the Aged Smelter Sword and Smelter sword is really cool looking, especially when you have the both of them, but I don't have any idea how practical they are. The Roaring Halberd from the Skelly Lords is apparently the best weapon for a hex build. Either the Drakewing from the Guardian Dragon or the Curved Dragon Greatsword from Ancient Dragon is pretty good because of the R2 two handed, but I can't tell you much about them because I don't use them. Chaos Blade is cool, from Old Witch Soul from NG+ or bonfire 2+ Lost Sinner. The Dragonslayer Spear is a sweet weapon, I've used it, durability can be a definite issue on it though, proceed with caution. Ivory King's Ultra Greatsword and the Loyce Greatsword are both great weapons, thing with the Ivory King's Ultra is that you should be two handing it to get the most out of it, and that only works if you have the stats for it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Can we talk about halberds for a moment? They were probably my favourite weapon class in Demon's and Dark Souls, and I still like them quite a bit in this one, but for some reason I've never seen anyone use them in PvE or PvP. Is it because of the sweet spot? Are spears just better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dark roaring halberd + buffs hits like a freight train if you're specced for it, and Syan's halberd used to be considered overpowered until they toned down the damage. Mastodon's halberd + helix halberd used to be the tryhard combo of choice but when the helix halberd got nerfed, all the tryhards abandoned the mastodon halberd as well.

They're just tricky to use correctly due to the sweet spot and mediocre attack speed, and after everyone figured out how to deal with constant spinning running attacks, the people using halberds probably migrated back to thrusting swords or katanas.