Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah but one could say that about anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

SH2 to me was the first game that did off-putting and kind of scary well, but not with jump scares necessarily but with a bizarre environment and creatures and just story

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BioEnchanted posted:

I've decided to give Silent Hill 2 another go as I've never got very far in the game. I know what's coming due to LPs and things, but never managed to progress myself because I find the atmosphere really oppressive, but this time I've just solved the clock puzzle in the Apartment building, so i'm happy with that. I can't remember if I ever got here before.

I like how good it is at building it's atmosphere by loving with your expectations, like in the opening walk through the woods/graveyard the game kept layering my footsteps so it sounded like other things were on the path when they weren't, or it would play barking and rustling sounds from an unknown source to make me think a dog was nearby even though I knew it wasn't. Even stuff like putting your hand in the hole to get the clock key, the room is incredibly loud in a way that doesn't make sense because it's just full of harmless moths, but it makes you wonder what IS making that noise.

Congrats on braving a game that genuinely is worth being brave for! I would count SH2 even today among the likes of SOMA in terms of "horror games non horror fans should get their hands on". I absolutely love the thematic nature of the puzzles, and how they pertain to the characters themselves. It's so subtle at first because each one is couched, disguised almost, in a weird esoteric horror game hint.

For an early example the puzzle you've just solved is one and never says so aloud! All the hands on the clock are stopped and you have to set them. Henry, Mildred, and Scott are all dead. But when would the clocks stop for you? When you lost your career? When you lost your spouse? For James, time probably stopped everywhere the day Mary died. Have to wonder if he was thinking about that when he wound those hands which are always meant to be circling round the sun or something to that effect. Once he has set the hands in their proper resting place so to speak, he is able to push the whole clock and move on to the next room. Metaphor is fun to play with!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:27 on Oct 17, 2022

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The OG Silent Hill is still so far the only game that had setting and soundtrack so oppressive that I genuinely had to sit and gather my nerve for a few minutes before pressing on at one point. SH2 is definitely the better game but that was still a hell of an experience

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

When I was a kid OG SH scared me so bad I got a migraines and spent the rest of the evening in bed lmao

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kit Walker posted:

The OG Silent Hill is still so far the only game that had setting and soundtrack so oppressive that I genuinely had to sit and gather my nerve for a few minutes before pressing on at one point. SH2 is definitely the better game but that was still a hell of an experience

Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl did this for me

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kit Walker posted:

Origins is afaik the only other time besides SH1 that they've had the entire town's ground at once turn into rusted grates and in Origins they creak and bend when you walk on them, it's seriously awesome and scary.

^^^ this is the absolute last thing you ever want to see in Silent Hill because oh boy once you cross that literal wailing bridge to the other side of town, there is no going back.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Oct 17, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U5C_eeW6eM

Silent Hill 1's ambiance in its entirety, timestamps for parts of the game are in its description. it still holds up really well! The sound that plays at 45:00 is loving something.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

It doesn’t have enough dicks.

It has a dick sucking machine.

:nws: https://twitter.com/hexloom/status/1580977935926034432?s=46&t=CPmQ2JDusKqL7TOXo5KsNQ :nws:

Kaiju Cage Match has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Oct 17, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

OG Silent Hill is still the best one IMO just because the low-polygon models fit perfectly for making enemies juuuuuuuust recognizable enough while also making them feel otherworldly and threatening. The later ones are more graphic and visually disturbing, but Silent Hill nailed the "I recognize what I'm looking at, but I know I shouldn't" aspect of the monsters. Plus the otherworld is outright oppressive.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I'm a big baby so even poo poo like the resident evil games make me tense and scared :ohdear: Playing any of the SH games would probably make me combust.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I expected something that, like a lot of what Giger produced, looked very much like it could plausibly be a dick sucking machine while not being explicitly confirmed as a dick sucking machine. The game just left off that last bit

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I saw that tweet and was never quite site whether it was real or a joke edit because, yeah, a lot of the vibe is suggesting things without quite confirming them.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Speaking of Silent Hill 2, one of my favorite scary moments in there is pretty effective. I forget exactly which area it was (maybe the hospital?), but at one point you encounter this big, mostly empty room with some sort of object in the middle. Well, of course you have to go check it out, there might be a key in there or something! But... it's kinda far away from the door, and you're going to be exposed on all sides the whole way there and back. Who knows what's going to jump out at you? Well, nothing is going to jump out at you, as it turns out. Nothing happens when you go check it out. The only thing stopping you is your apprehension of what *could* jump out at you.. It got me good!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, SH2 knows when it's OK to have a relatively long period with nothing in particular happening. We can only hope whoever is doing the remake recognizes that

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It's always great when games use your expectations as a way to scare you. My biggest example is in Resident Evil 2, doors between rooms give you a small animation of the door opening to hide loading screens, just a couple seconds for you to breath. One door though, the animation is the door busting down and zombies piling through, and it comes back to the room you were trying to leave but full of new zombies.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm now at Brookhaven Hospital btw. Making progress.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It's always great when games use your expectations as a way to scare you. My biggest example is in Resident Evil 2, doors between rooms give you a small animation of the door opening to hide loading screens, just a couple seconds for you to breath. One door though, the animation is the door busting down and zombies piling through, and it comes back to the room you were trying to leave but full of new zombies.

The Last of Us Part 2: During the entire game you've been primed to think that the work bench is a safe place. Then suddenly at one of them you're attacked.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Playing Silent Hill 2 is like pushing into a wound while you sit and think about your failings. It's great.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Philippe posted:

Playing Silent Hill 2 is like pushing into a wound while you sit and think about your failings. It's great.

Ah so it’s like reading your posts

GOT EM

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'm sorry automation took away your mom's job.

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 20:30 on Oct 17, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Randalor posted:

Silent Hill nailed the "I recognize what I'm looking at, but I know I shouldn't" aspect of the monsters.

They look like monsters to you?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Philippe posted:

That's exactly what it's like because it's literally what James is doing. The town just gives him everything he needs to do it

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm sorry automation took away your mom's job.

it's insanely sad to reappropriate someone elses' "got em"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like that the other real characters are mirrors of James and his relationship with his late wife at it's worst. Eddie is a dark mirror to James, a violent maniac in denial who is running away from what he's done, and Angela is a reflection of Mary, someone who was subject to lustful urges, with the main difference being that her father didn't resist them. James' urges may have turned violent out of frustration but he understood that it was unhealthy, even if that didn't help. Then Laura seems to be a construct of the town, designed to pick at James and Eddies worst natures or sorest spots via her childish taunting.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
James is great because he's the first protagonist I think I played as where you aren't supposed to at all sympathize with him or his struggle. Even his initial pitch paints him as the one on the edge of breaking if you read between the lines. That first shot of him in the bathroom is almost alienating you from him, and then James muses to himself but moreover to you the player about the unreal situation he's in ("I got a letter..."). It sounds like musing but to me it's always felt like an appeal by James to you: I know this sounds crazy, I know I am crazy for wanting this to be true, but please help me. Help you with what, James? Why am I helping you? What didn't you say there, to either me or yourself?

Edit: Those are the types of questions the game doesn't ask aloud that I truly adore, because James gets a lot less trustworthy once you realize YOU don't need to be here, unlike most games which wouldn't even happen if you didn't manually incite the plot. The guy is a loser and wouldn't survive without us sure but none of these living metaphors you fight are for the player... They're all for him.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:46 on Oct 17, 2022

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Alhazred posted:

The Last of Us Part 2: During the entire game you've been primed to think that the work bench is a safe place. Then suddenly at one of them you're attacked.

Too bad the weird environment in that place gave it away that something weird was going to happen

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Silent Hill 2 has a lot of of things that other horror games, including other Silent Hill games, don't do enough. Probably because they involve subtlety and not overexplaining things. There's never any real indication that James is actually forced to stay there, for one, he could turn around at any time and go back to his car and get the gently caress out of there, or even just run for the hills.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Silent Hill 2 has a lot of of things that other horror games, including other Silent Hill games, don't do enough. Probably because they involve subtlety and not overexplaining things. There's never any real indication that James is actually forced to stay there, for one, he could turn around at any time and go back to his car and get the gently caress out of there, or even just run for the hills.

You really can do this at nearly any point before leaving Brookhaven btw. Allllllllll the way past the graveyard up the forest path to the overlook. It's kind of wild how open Silent Hill 2 is compared to the others. They knew it too, giving some enemies which don't roam tons of fun spots to hide and ambush you. Lying Figures skittering out from under cars and bouncing around the street etc.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:57 on Oct 18, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Funnily enough I keep forgetting that Brookhaven hospital exists, because in my mind "Alchemilla" is the silent hill hospital and nothing else stays in my head. I always remember that there are two hospitals, but never what the second one is called.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's also a Sanitarium! Here I thought the place was supposed to be a resort town.

SH2 takes place in a different part of town from the first game but what's cool is they did still make sure it lines up geographically. Here is a map of the entire town- Silent Hill 2 takes place in the bottom left-hand corner. The county road leading toward Lakeside Amusement Park, next to the Historical Society, actually has some signs there advertising it ingame! I just find it kinda cool that they pictured the lake itself three-dimensionally in development, because you can see it in from the bridge SH1. Then they considered from there that SH1's town layout would therefore put the Amusement Park on SH2's left and kept it on SH2's map.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 07:00 on Oct 18, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It is fun when games actually pay attention to the geography of a place. Very rare, but fun. Super Mario Sunshine iirc actually does that a lot, Isle Delphino is a quite well defined place and you can see past and future areas in the distance from certain locations. Probably helps that a big part of the game's progression is the terrain altering and formerly hostile areas being turned (back) into inhabited places with NPCs and sidequests once you clean up all the magical goop monsters.

Trying to make a game spooky by having nonsensical geography seems likely to fall completely flat because no one actually expects a game to have consistent layouts.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

One thing that annoyed me is that I missed a clue in the hospital and had to look up where it was because I thought I'd tried to examine the typewriter, but I guess I was at the wrong angle. Still, I'm at the otherworld hospital now, so that's fun.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Alhazred posted:

The nice thing about this one is that it doesn't 'cheat' - if you place down some kind of trap because you're sufficiently suspicious, it does work.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Was it Silent Hill 2 that had the joke endings? That's something that games don't do enough of these days, at least I can't think of any recent examples.

I can't remember how to activate them but (spoiled for BioEnchanted) the UFO one and the one where the Shiba Inu is in a secret room controlling everything with levers were both great

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How long and much distance did the boat ride in Silent Hill 2 cover?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bogmonster posted:

Was it Silent Hill 2 that had the joke endings? That's something that games don't do enough of these days, at least I can't think of any recent examples.

I can't remember how to activate them but (spoiled for BioEnchanted) the UFO one and the one where the Shiba Inu is in a secret room controlling everything with levers were both great

All 3 do.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CJacobs posted:

There's also a Sanitarium! Here I thought the place was supposed to be a resort town.

SH2 takes place in a different part of town from the first game but what's cool is they did still make sure it lines up geographically. Here is a map of the entire town- Silent Hill 2 takes place in the bottom left-hand corner. The county road leading toward Lakeside Amusement Park, next to the Historical Society, actually has some signs there advertising it ingame! I just find it kinda cool that they pictured the lake itself three-dimensionally in development, because you can see it in from the bridge SH1. Then they considered from there that SH1's town layout would therefore put the Amusement Park on SH2's left and kept it on SH2's map.

Silent Hill is a weird New England lake town. People love them shits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Philippe posted:

Silent Hill is a weird New England lake town. People love them shits.

It must be excruciating in a way that's different from the rest of the town to bank with Silent Hill Saving

having to drive literally the entirety of Nathan Ave around the lake to get to it from Old Town.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 12:56 on Oct 18, 2022