Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Made me think of the news where there’s a petrol tanker crash and the first thing the nearby inhabitants is start lining up for free buckets of petrol, and then of course there’s a cigarette or other spark and another story to make you go brr gently caress

Hey, free fuel is free fuel.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1086475567585730563

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

"Mexico, leak in shopping mall and local band starts playing Titanic theme (with sound)"

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/aoewv4x_460svvp9.webm

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

sarujin_nz posted:

Lowest bridge I've ever found.

At that point, "why don't they just lower the road?" really seems like the best idea

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Probably a bunch of stuff under the road they either can't move or would be a PITA to move lower. Like gas lines, buried power lines, sewer lines, etc.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Maybe it would be better for everyone to declare that space no longer a street and unpave it and fence it off for storage or something. There's got to be a better crossing nearby.

vvvvvvv 1.9m is just under 6'3. Hope there isn't a local basketball team.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 10, 2019

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it seems like more risk/liability than it's worth. It looks like a tall person couldn't even walk under that without ducking.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I know it's a running joke, but what was the actual reason for not being able to raise the 11'8" bridge?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Zipperelli. posted:

I know it's a running joke, but what was the actual reason for not being able to raise the 11'8" bridge?

From the wiki:

"It cannot be raised because nearby railroad crossings would also have to be raised with it. The street also cannot be lowered because a major sewer line runs only four feet (1.2 m) under Gregson Street."

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Zipperelli. posted:

Trains hate inclinations. Also there is a sewer line under the underpass.

-e-
^^^
:argh:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

pik_d posted:

From the wiki:

"It cannot be raised because nearby railroad crossings would also have to be raised with it. The street also cannot be lowered because a major sewer line runs only four feet (1.2 m) under Gregson Street."

Lol, I didn't realize it had a wiki

Lurking Haro posted:

Trains hate inclinations. Also there is a sewer line under the underpass.

-e-
^^^
:argh:

Yeah, I knew there was some type of main under the road, I just forgot why they couldn't raise the overpass.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Trains don’t like hills.

Gradients above twoish percent are rare. If you want to raise the bridge a little bit, you have to adjust the track a long way in either direction. It’s worse if the track already has a gradient

M Condriano
Mar 22, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Nobody really wants to spend millions of dollars to change a bridge that breaks the trucks of people too dumb and negligent to know how tall their truck is.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
The thing about that 1.9m bridge is that it's too low for people to think they can make it, so a truck isn't going to try. The magic of 11foot8 is that it's just high enough that people think they can make it through, and then they can't.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The other thing about 11ft8 is that a lot of larger vehicles can make it through. Plenty of smaller trailers and vans can make it easily. Most RV's also don't hit the bridge with their main structure, they just end up getting the doodads on the roof stripped off. It's right at the height of maximum 'gently caress you.'

Spanky McSpank
Mar 28, 2008
https://imgur.com/p6KCXdW

This is Sydney's version of 11ft8. Whilst it may lose out to Brisbane by 10cm i would argue its more gently caress you as that is an expressway rather than rail line above the road. Do cars have trouble with hills?

Spanky McSpank fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 10, 2019

sarujin_nz
May 1, 2006

My local (Perth's) low bridge isn't even that low at 3.8m. But it did fight back and the bridge hit a car last month.

Bayswater Bridge

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

hannibal posted:

The thing about that 1.9m bridge is that it's too low for people to think they can make it, so a truck isn't going to try. The magic of 11foot8 is that it's just high enough that people think they can make it through, and then they can't.

Big trucks won't try it, but I bet big cars still get dinged on the regular. Or maybe when it's lower than a tall man it's low enough to trigger "I'm going to bump my head" and make people think.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's a bridge on the highway here that's 5 meters which is higher than a non-permit load.

It has signs, sensors, and lights that warn you if you're too high.

and idiots STILL keep loving running into it.

Warning: video contains an EXTREME canadian accent and language.

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1199571011628/

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Powershift posted:

There's a bridge on the highway here that's 5 meters which is higher than a non-permit load.

I love how they slow down, like the bridge somehow won't be too low if they sneak up on it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xeq4-UIx5t4

A bunch of completely unqualified digital effects artists try to restore a vintage chainsaw and lick rust.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powershift posted:

Impressive truckfuckling.

Overpasses that high don’t require signs in any state in the Union.

The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices says you only have to post vertical clearances when they’re less than one foot greater than the state allows, and no state allows vehicle taller than fifteen feet without permits.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Powershift posted:

If you're going east out of Vancouver there's a bridge that's marked at 4.3m. Max height for vehicles is 4.15 metres, so naturally the underside is full of scrapes from people who were juuust over the limit and thought they could make it.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xeq4-UIx5t4

A bunch of completely unqualified digital effects artists try to restore a vintage chainsaw and lick rust.

I'm loving the lack of the face shield and chaps while using a chainsaw which appears to have no safety features apart from a catch pin. The best I've ever used was my dad's old saw that must have been from the '70s or '80s; instead of a throttle interlock it had a throttle lock. As in, a little button you could press to lock the throttle in the on position.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

TerminalSaint posted:

I'm loving the lack of the face shield and chaps while using a chainsaw which appears to have no safety features apart from a catch pin. The best I've ever used was my dad's old saw that must have been from the '70s or '80s; instead of a throttle interlock it had a throttle lock. As in, a little button you could press to lock the throttle in the on position.

I've got one of these waiting to be rebuilt (sorry for the tinypic it's all I could turn up):

When I first got it, it ran well (although smoky, because it uses a 1:25 mix of straight SAE30 oil), and I used it a couple of times, and it cuts big logs like a hot knife through butter. It's been on my garden shed shelf now for about 10 years, so, at least the carb will need rebuilt. It has absolutely no safety features, interlocks, or whatever, and if it backfires when you're trying to start it, it'll drat near dislocate your shoulder. I'm pretty sure you could run a small go-cart using its motor.

OSHA related:

From a past employer's shop floor. We had some strong-willed mechanics who enforced lockouts in their own language.

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 11, 2019

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Yeah watched the vid with a gritted rear end in a top hat waiting for someone to throw a cigarette or rub a balloon on their shirt.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

From a past employer's shop floor. We had some strong-willed mechanics who enforced lockouts in their own language.

I'm the corrected I in pencil

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Tashilicious posted:

I'm the corrected I in pencil

That was my doing. :haw:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yeah watched the vid with a gritted rear end in a top hat waiting for someone to throw a cigarette or rub a balloon on their shirt.

I thought it was a repost of the last pipeline rupture.

Never want to see that video again.

EDIT: Just read the article and it IS from that rupture where 76 people died. So, uh, maybe no one click too many links on that article page. Some poo poo you really do not need to see.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I thought it was a repost of the last pipeline rupture.

Never want to see that video again.

EDIT: Just read the article and it IS from that rupture where 76 people died. So, uh, maybe no one click too many links on that article page. Some poo poo you really do not need to see.

that video is CRAZY, just a hundred flaming people running through a field fully engulfed, the camera goes out of focus at one point and it all the tiny little flames in the distance get exagerated by the bokeh circles and you really get a sense of how many people are on fire there. fuckin lots.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

wilderthanmild posted:

Yeah it seems like more risk/liability than it's worth. It looks like a tall person couldn't even walk under that without ducking.

Or a normal person on a bicycle. Jesus christ my skull would be so deformed from riding while drunk or during night if that was near my home. Now there is one light traffic underpass where I *barely* fit on my bike without lowering my head, but I still always instinctively do it anyway when I approach because I don't want to look like one of those trucks.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

bring back old gbs posted:

that video is CRAZY, just a hundred flaming people running through a field fully engulfed, the camera goes out of focus at one point and it all the tiny little flames in the distance get exagerated by the bokeh circles and you really get a sense of how many people are on fire there. fuckin lots.

drat. I definitely watched video of the Nedelin catastrophe (probably don't), sounds like that scaled up.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Glagha posted:

I think you get to see them wave their arm from inside the dirt and presumably they heard them since the driver jumped out and everything so... Hopefully not too seriously injured if not?

Unless they have some serious pipes for yelling after being dumped from a loader, I doubt that driver would hear it. I don't hear much outside of the cab in the one I use at work, but my hearing might not be that great either.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
I posted about this a few pages ago but seeing as we're on the topic again, oil theft from pipelines is something that I find really interesting to read about.
Theres some amazing videos on youtube of the illegal oil "refineries" that operate around the Niger delta, and the horrible health effects and pollution they cause.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_theft_in_Nigeria
for some bedtime reading.
Posting this again stamped at 14:20. Just a quick look at the refinery operations, but the rest of the video is interesting too if you're into this sort of thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=866fXIAZsDk&t=860s

e: sorry for reposting

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7NCeQUNhUY

As soon as these guys stop doing digital effects, they try to kill themselves as fast as possible.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Osha Chat:

My coworker walked off a two story roof yesterday. Onto concrete.

Lucky idiot walked away with a few stitches, by swinging from a garden hose like tarzan.

Work safe goons.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7NCeQUNhUY

As soon as these guys stop doing digital effects, they try to kill themselves as fast as possible.

That really doesn't seem that dangerous, what with the helmets and all

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

An almost perfect east-west split is fascinating. I wonder wht the reason is

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jun/10/flight-delayed-after-passenger-mistakes-exit-for-toilet-door

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know how you could think that a door with a window to the outside could somehow lead to a bathroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fallom posted:

That really doesn't seem that dangerous, what with the helmets and all

A 7 foot pile of cinder blocks weighing 600 pounds will avoid crushing you because you have a helmet?