Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Supradog posted:

The season has started.
Mix of rain and fog, around 5c/41f in temperature.

Heated underwear is nice.

I could have used those hippo hands today. Two hours at 3c. I don’t care how heated my grips are, I was hurting at the end :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I need to pick up a new powerbank for long trips, and I notice that on the bigger end they’re starting to merge with battery jump packs by adding a high-amp alligator accessory.

There’ve been several times I’ve almost stranded myself trying to start my engine at camp in -5C temps, and it’d be nice to have a secondary starter-power option that I can keep warm with body heat.

Does anyone have experience with these, will they do what it says on the tin, will they hold up in camping luggage, etc? Here’s the one REI sells for ref, for 1.5lb (.7kg) it’ll hold 10Ah and put out 400A (800A peak) which seems formidable enough.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I have a couple of them for that very purpose. They work well but I try to make sure they get charged the day before I might need them.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I like how the brake disc has a little cover to keep it warm and cozy

Just like the motogp bike.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

TotalLossBrain posted:

I have a couple of them for that very purpose. They work well but I try to make sure they get charged the day before I might need them.

Yeah, I charge things the day before a trip starts and this will change some of my trip/camp patterns since I won’t be able to run everything to empty before tenting like I usually do.

This seems like it’ll work, and it’ll be great to knock out another big existential worry I get when solo camping in the middle of nowhere.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Ulf posted:

I need to pick up a new powerbank for long trips, and I notice that on the bigger end they’re starting to merge with battery jump packs by adding a high-amp alligator accessory.

There’ve been several times I’ve almost stranded myself trying to start my engine at camp in -5C temps, and it’d be nice to have a secondary starter-power option that I can keep warm with body heat.

Does anyone have experience with these, will they do what it says on the tin, will they hold up in camping luggage, etc? Here’s the one REI sells for ref, for 1.5lb (.7kg) it’ll hold 10Ah and put out 400A (800A peak) which seems formidable enough.

They work, but I would not pay the REI tax when you get can dozens of copies of the same one on amazon for half that or less.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s 55-72 degrees today, the sun is out and I have the weekend off from literally any responsibility.

I’m gonna rid.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

opengl posted:

They work, but I would not pay the REI tax when you get can dozens of copies of the same one on amazon for half that or less.

I have a stack of these things, pretty much all in half-broken state due to cheap ports, loose face plates, stuck buttons, and so on. I was going to try and find one a little more sturdy this time, I’m not sure the linked model is the one but I will spend a little more for a rugged case and quality ports this time around.

(I linked to REI because its dividend time)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rolo posted:

It’s 55-72 degrees today, the sun is out and I have the weekend off from literally any responsibility.

I’m gonna rid.

Always find youself ridding

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It's a tough choice with critical gear like that. Buy one really reputable brand or 2-3 cheap no names?
I picked option 2, mostly because I'm not sure I can pick out a reputable brand that's noticeably built better

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
You've got to be kidding.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The owner waits outside as the assistant drops the bike

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Alternatively, just ride it on a bumpy road for a bit to shake any trapped air loose.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How long until someone makes some 5000 amp portable battery welder

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I was gonna ride all day today and then wash the bike tomorrow since it's going to be in the 60s today and 70s tomorrow, but my partner needs to go accomplish some tasks so I guess I'll be doing that in the reverse order.

Is it silly to pull the mufflers off to scrub the inside of them? Is that too precious? It's just so pretty and I want it to stay that way (and also I'm from the Midwestern US and am used to all my vehicles rusting to pieces and don't want that for my bike, even though I'm now in the PNW where it's much less of a thing).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You stand to do more damage than anything by washing the inside of them I’d imagine

I mean, clean the carbon out of the tip if you want but other than that I’d not do anything with them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I've never heard of anyone cleaning the inside of the exhaust pipes or mufflers. Whenever you run the engine a stream of hot gas automatically blows crap out the hole in the back, you know?

There will be some carbon inside but it's harmless. I agree with Jim that you're much more likely to do some damage. Just ride the bike regularly and store it somewhere dry if you aren't.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I don't mean the literal inside. I mean when I pulled the muffler off to put on my center stand, I scrubbed all the bits I couldn't get to because they're close to the wheel. etc.

edit - I'm a newb and an idiot but I'm not that stupid

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Beve Stuscemi posted:

How long until someone makes some 5000 amp portable battery welder

Guilty

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

T Zero posted:

You've got to be kidding.

Triumph?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

That was my guess too, IIRC my brake bleeding procedure also demanded a mysterious assistant and nutty repetition.

Geekboy posted:

I don't mean the literal inside. I mean when I pulled the muffler off to put on my center stand, I scrubbed all the bits I couldn't get to because they're close to the wheel. etc.

edit - I'm a newb and an idiot but I'm not that stupid

There's a little gasket in there that's technically a wear item and subject to getting a little chewed up every removal. Not sure how tough it is yet, I bought a couple spares early on, but but for me that means the hidden side of the exhausts get cleaned only when the chain does.

Of course mine is currently filthy, has a big blob of nylon from my jacket lining burnt to the left exhaust header, is rusting in several places, and I'm not likely to have time to do more than slather ACF-50 on the more rust colored spots for a while.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Useful info. Thank you.

Maybe that will be a once a year or two cleaning. I did my best to get to them while I was washing the bike today, so they’re not that bad, but I really am trying to do everything right with this bike.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Triumph?

Yup.

While I'm here, I'm charging up a new battery and it seems to be taking forever. It's hooked up to a charger/tender and it's coming up to 24 hours. Should I be concerned?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You’re suppose to… wash them?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

T Zero posted:

Yup.

While I'm here, I'm charging up a new battery and it seems to be taking forever. It's hooked up to a charger/tender and it's coming up to 24 hours. Should I be concerned?

What type of battery? Acid fill or sealed? Doesn't seem right either way

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
It's a 12v Yuasa sealed AGM battery being charged with a 750 mA battery tender junior. The light on the charger is supposed to turn green when the battery is fully charged, but it's still red. Battery is currently reading 13 volts and change, but I only took it off the charger a few minutes ago.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Very strange, the charger only has voltage to go on to judge whether the battery is charged or not. Try starting your bike with the battery then measuring what voltage it drops to?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm going to ask a really stupid/basic question, but is there a fuse in-line in your battery tender jr?

I have a tender jr and I was panicked that my battery was conked out reading 10v despite being hooked to the Jr for like two weeks straight, only to realize that the fuse on my pigtail had popped. Hadn't read the lights on the Jr. correctly and assumed that the green light was "everything's a-ok" instead of "i've got power" but failed to realize the other battery status light wasn't on.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005

some kinda jackal posted:

I'm going to ask a really stupid/basic question, but is there a fuse in-line in your battery tender jr?

There is, but it's intact and the charger is delivering a current at the battery terminals.

Anyway, I emailed the company and here's their reply

quote:

The voltage in the battery must get to 14.6 volts before the red-light changes to flashing green. That can take up to 80 hours.

Testing a Battery Tender : Please take a voltage reading of a stand-alone battery. One that has been sitting for at least 1 hour with nothing on it. Then connect the Battery Tender® in question to the battery and plug it on. Now periodically check the voltage of the battery with the Battery Tender® attached and charging. You should be able to see the voltage in the battery increase. The Battery Tender in question should start the flashing green light right around 14.6 volts and then go solid green somewhere between 13.1 to 13.4 VDC.

The standalone battery is reading 13.1 V and when I just reattached the charger just now, it's reading 14.58v. So according to this, it seems like the battery still needs more time on the juice.

Green light flashing means the battery is more than 80% charged and is ready to use, per the battery tender manual.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I guess the weird thing for me there is how you ended up with a brand new battery that's totally flat

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

I could have used those hippo hands today. Two hours at 3c. I don’t care how heated my grips are, I was hurting at the end :|
Want a cheap set of never-used Barkbusters?

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Is it going overboard to paint calipers and hand controls? My 83 Magna has suffered from previous owner-itis since day one and while I don't care too much about patina, I would also like to touch up the most egregious areas.

I was thinking about painting the turn signal and kill switch boxes, the master cylinders after I rebuild them and the front calipers. Maybe even going so far as to refill the horn button with red paint in the horn blast inset and the raised lettering on the kill switch.

Lipstick on a pig or quality of life little things?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

If the project sounds fun go for it, otherwise it seems easier to adjust your internal definition of beauty.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Remy Marathe posted:

If the project sounds fun go for it, otherwise it seems easier to adjust your internal definition of beauty.

That option B is a slippery slope to becoming the owner of a rat bike.* Source: self

*Not necessarily a bad thing if it's mechanically sound, at least

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

Want a cheap set of never-used Barkbusters?

Dang, thank you but I ordered a pair of covers as soon as I got home from that ride :(

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Not sure if this should go in the discussion thread or gear thread since it pertains to gear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nINIJ1cAbYM

I feel like F9 is doing a "I'm not saying you should remove your armor... ;) "
The word "may" is doing a lot of lifting @2:58, too.
Unless I missed it somewhere, I've yet to see any marketing material that states MC armor will prevent fractures. It's protection not prevention. Throwing out the armor, because one study says "probably won't prevent a fracture based this one test" is dumb IMO.
I agree that we all make decisions about safety vs comfort when riding. It's something I told customers all the time when I was selling gear, especially to new riders. But I feel like he's being disingenuous about the purpose and effectiveness of armor-
What's the point of these armor if they can't completely protect against a fracture? It's inadequate, arbitrary regulations put in place that everyone has to follow. Sure, these higher end pieces of gear actually work, so I wear them at track days. Yeah, armor that follows the minimum might help in some instances, but I took my armor out and love it!
While he specifically states that this isn't a reason to throw out your armor, he heavily implies it is with the clickbait title and how the info is presented.
Everyone's comfort levels are different. I've never had any issue with my armor. I kind of like how it feels like my jacket is giving me a nice snug, hug. Anecdotes don't prove a point, but I like to believe that my armor helped limit damage when I crashed, went over my bars, and landed on my back and elbow on cold asphalt.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 3, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've never been bothered by the presence of armour so I suppose I can't really empathize with anyone who would want to remove it because it can't protect you from certain things.

Like OK: is there a 25% chance that it protects me from something? That's better than a 0% chance it protects me from something if it's not there. I'll take the 25% thanks. But again, I don't see it as a negative. Like at all.

I also haven't watched the video so I"m just reacting to the title and whatever I skimmed. His schtick wore kind of thin on me so I try not to watch videos with him in them. The guy they have as the Fortnine clone or whatever is much less abrasive.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I used to really like F9 but I think they started running out of ideas a long time ago.

Also I sat on the Suzuki Bumblebike today and it’s a very comfortable sport bike. I really like it :shrug:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah I don't really get it, I've never once been bothered by the armor in any of my gear, so why not leave it in?

Also I'm old and my bones aren't as rubbery as they once were so I'll take any help I can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

I've never been bothered by the presence of armour so I suppose I can't really empathize with anyone who would want to remove it because it can't protect you from certain things.

Like OK: is there a 25% chance that it protects me from something? That's better than a 0% chance it protects me from something if it's not there. I'll take the 25% thanks. But again, I don't see it as a negative. Like at all.

I also haven't watched the video so I"m just reacting to the title and whatever I skimmed. His schtick wore kind of thin on me so I try not to watch videos with him in them. The guy they have as the Fortnine clone or whatever is much less abrasive.

His shtick has definitely worn thin over time for sure. He also does a "the numbers on chalkboard say [this] so it must apply in the real world" thing from time to time.
Yeah man, you can keep halving your distance to a wall and never touch it. On paper.