Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kinetic77
Jun 23, 2010

Cartwheel owns, but this take does not.

https://twitter.com/tiebertrenton/status/1633519715938181123?s=46&t=Fg-yEjTwRcVeueE1WyZjkQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
yeah probably my biggest complaint with the ppv was how the bucks just didn't sell anything, just 15 solid minutes of walking the ropes and dunking on house of black until house of black won by outside interference or a disqualification or something? idk I haven't seen a gif of how the match ended yet, but I know the bucks only book themselves to win and never take bumps

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Guess Cornette hasn't got around to telling him Cartwheel's bad too.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Coolness Averted posted:

yeah probably my biggest complaint with the ppv was how the bucks just didn't sell anything, just 15 solid minutes of walking the ropes and dunking on house of black until house of black won by outside interference or a disqualification or something? idk I haven't seen a gif of how the match ended yet, but I know the bucks only book themselves to win and never take bumps

its like how back in the day the road warriors would no sell and get up before the guy who actually did the movie, even when the warriors got pinned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSNcxLupJkk&t=176s

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Also lol crosspost

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Coolness Averted posted:

Brody King got the most out of that match imo.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

Coolness Averted posted:

the bucks just didn't sell anything, just 15 solid minutes of walking the ropes and dunking

But enough about BTE.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Shard posted:

Also lol crosspost

Had to follow through to Shawn Dean's to see the tweet they were dunking on/Nyla was referencing since just her tweet confused me.
She's copying another indie wrestler's tweet about not having time for dark

FullMetalJackoff posted:

But enough about BTE.
ngl I loved the space jam match and absolutely use clips from it to explain why I love wrestling. Though the Jacksons making trick shots in BTE is always fun, especially when their kids just don't loving care.

Atillo
Jan 9, 2007

FullMetalJackoff posted:

But enough about BTE.

When is BTE not selling anything?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr. Squishy posted:

Guess Cornette hasn't got around to telling him Cartwheel's bad too.

"I regret I must retract my previous pro-Cartwheel tweet and instead insist he is an outlaw mudshow wrestler."

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

FullMetalJackoff posted:

The anti-AEW insults/name calls are either non-starters (aewsexuals, dubbalos) or easily co-opted by those getting targeted (freakazoids). From the same types that think 'fed' related WWE insults are referring to the federal reserve.

I'm 100% dubbalo 4 LYFE Woop Woop

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
what does this even mean?
https://twitter.com/OneChrisEdwards/status/1633654856840802306

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

he's saying that impressionism is a type of painting and ballet is a type of dance so clearly pro wrestling is a kind of ???????

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Theatre, obviously

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/iamgenuineone/status/1633581604642734082?s=46&t=bbVAetI2_DV7aCjhIGsFZA

this take is cracking me up

more from this maniac

https://twitter.com/iamgenuineone/status/1633585615332671489?s=46&t=bbVAetI2_DV7aCjhIGsFZA

https://twitter.com/iamgenuineone/status/1631406412021616640?s=46&t=bbVAetI2_DV7aCjhIGsFZA

https://twitter.com/iamgenuineone/status/1630745642812207107?s=46&t=bbVAetI2_DV7aCjhIGsFZA

Eat My Fuc fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 9, 2023

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Shawn Michaels gets jobbed out in 30 seconds at Wrestlemania: "Shawn Michaels boyhood dream has come true!!!"

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

Shawn Michaels gets jobbed out in 30 seconds at Wrestlemania: "Shawn Michaels boyhood dream has come true!!!"

A tragedy on Bourbon Street!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i've been off the genuine one ever since he fixed his name typo

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Reading other tweets by him later in that thread I *think* what he's saying is that he wants wrestling shows to have a unified tone from beginning to end. A show that's all ballet rather than going from ballet to tap dancing to hip hop and back to ballet.

https://twitter.com/OneChrisEdwards/status/1633666712993243136?t=GoWjCOzldErbirVJswB-TQ&s=19

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
"there's a school of thought in modern wrestling booking"

shut up lmao

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think before you criticize that tweet you should read at least two of OPTIMAL POWER, PHILLIP DRIVES THE DEAD, and A BATCH OF TWENTY

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Cavauro posted:

i think before you criticize that tweet you should read at least two of OPTIMAL POWER, PHILLIP DRIVES THE DEAD, and A BATCH OF TWENTY

How long before?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

69 seconds

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021
when wwe programming is an endless stream of repetition, it's actually a positive #levelupthechampionship

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Cult of Pies posted:

when wwe programming is an endless stream of repetition, it's actually a positive #levelupthechampionship

I actually agree with this one. AEW has great moments but they rush past them to get to the next thing. They need to spotlight things more.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Gonzo McFee posted:

I actually agree with this one. AEW has great moments but they rush past them to get to the next thing. They need to spotlight things more.

Yeah, it's a legit critique. You make things more important by going back to them, giving them a longer reaction.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I get really irritated when something incredible happens and they don't hit it with a replay or another angle

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i don't really know what y'all would want to change here, or what form that exactly would take

i feel like they already spend a decent chunk of their tv time talking about angles and events that happened previously, to contextualize what's happening. they just can't dedicate as much of the time that wwe can because they neither have as much tv time nor as much non-match time on their programs to fill

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
If someone does a badass flip, I want to see it again!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s what gifs are for it’s 2023

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Cavauro posted:

69 seconds

Nice

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

flatluigi posted:

i don't really know what y'all would want to change here, or what form that exactly would take

i feel like they already spend a decent chunk of their tv time talking about angles and events that happened previously, to contextualize what's happening. they just can't dedicate as much of the time that wwe can because they neither have as much tv time nor as much non-match time on their programs to fill

Example: After the amazing Bryan Danielson promo, the announcers just barely get to say "Wow", and then we're moving on to the next thing immediately. Not a moment given to reflect on it.

Instead, the camera could cut to the announce booth after, and the team could talk for like thirty seconds about what they just heard, sell for the emotion of it a little, and wish Danielson and his family the best, before the next match starts. Wouldn't take too much time away from anything else, just enough to make the promo stand out more and seem more important.

Of course, this is easy to say with the benefit of hindsight. Dynamite is a live show, so maybe you don't know what you've got until it's too late.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

El Generico posted:

Example: After the amazing Bryan Danielson promo, the announcers just barely get to say "Wow", and then we're moving on to the next thing immediately. Not a moment given to reflect on it.

Instead, the camera could cut to the announce booth after, and the team could talk for like thirty seconds about what they just heard, sell for the emotion of it a little, and wish Danielson and his family the best, before the next match starts. Wouldn't take too much time away from anything else, just enough to make the promo stand out more and seem more important.

Of course, this is easy to say with the benefit of hindsight. Dynamite is a live show, so maybe you don't know what you've got until it's too late.

The commentators did this!! And the way that things are run, any time not progressing is time that gets cut from matches

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

The Taxman posted:

The commentators did this!! And the way that things are run, any time not progressing is time that gets cut from matches

Did they? I just remember one "wow" from Ex and the show moving on. My fault, perhaps.

You do have to take some time away from matches to emphasize the stories more, and that's a style and priorities opinion argument, and the kind of thing you could discuss about wrestling ad nauseam.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

El Generico posted:

Why though? That feels like such a waste of time, I just watched it. I don't need commentary to tell me how they feel about it. I think things could sometimes benefit from just a 1 or 2 second pause before rushing into the next thing but this feels like a correction top far on the other end. Commentary explaining to me what I just saw after every big moment doesn't sound like it would improve things.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

Why though? That feels like such a waste of time, I just watched it. I don't need commentary to tell me how they feel about it. I think things could sometimes benefit from just a 1 or 2 second pause before rushing into the next thing but this feels like a correction top far on the other end. Commentary explaining to me what I just saw after every big moment doesn't sound like it would improve things.

Maybe thirty seconds is an overstatement, maybe like fifteen? But if you blow past everything at top speed, everything's a blur, nothing stands out as important or stays with you. Stopping to talk a moment about something big that just happened prevents that. AEW isn't the worst at this, obviously Russo style crash TV was way way worse, but it is a thing sometimes, and this one struck me as one of them.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

El Generico posted:

Maybe thirty seconds is an overstatement, maybe like fifteen? But if you blow past everything at top speed, everything's a blur, nothing stands out as important or stays with you. Stopping to talk a moment about something big that just happened prevents that. AEW isn't the worst at this, obviously Russo style crash TV was way way worse, but it is a thing sometimes, and this one struck me as one of them.

Yeah that's fair. I think my ideal wouldn't be anything from commentary, just slipping a few seconds of nothing in between things to let it breath. I don't even think the commentary stuff is necessary, just a few seconds. Seconds are long on TV.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's something that was much more important before social media where you are much more likely to see those big moments again and again.

Dick Swiveller
Mar 2, 2011

I reckon the idea has some merit, in 5 to 10 second slices. Can't say I noticed a lack with the Bryan promo, but this may be because my brain just presses the "this is good" button when Bryan does stuff, on account of he is the best and does the best stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Gumball Gumption posted:

One of the things I hate about wwe is that they constantly show you what you just saw. You come back from commercial and they’re recapping what I watched before commercial then they talk forever. Like shut up and show me something cool.