Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The hit feedback (both on the player and enemies) sucks in all of the new Wolfenstein games, but man New Colossus was so bad about it. You can barely even tell what direction you're being shot from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
The only correct way to play the modern Wolfenstein games is on the easiest difficulty because the balance is wack and it'll be an exercise in frustration otherwise. Even on the easiest I found New Collosus to be a challenging time, especially the later levels. Everything else about it is enjoyable and well done so I found it worth it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vic posted:

DS3 was kinda meta in that it was made with the DS community in mind. They doubled down on obtuse poo poo so you rely on mass of players working together to figure this stuff out. It's like those old NES games that you needed to read Nintendo Power to beat, only it's side content, and with internet in mind.

It's basically a strands game.

I hate that Dark Souls 3 inherited the community's hatred for Dark Souls 2. It made so much of the game feel so much worse, because it seemed contemptuous of the good ideas DS2 actually had, spiting it even if that made for a worse end product.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

I hate that Dark Souls 3 inherited the community's hatred for Dark Souls 2. It made so much of the game feel so much worse, because it seemed contemptuous of the good ideas DS2 actually had, spiting it even if that made for a worse end product.

This is Dark Souls 3's curse, and it also highlights why Dark Souls fans suck. It's very much a game "For the fans". Dark Souls 2 tried new things, but people hated it and so they did away with those things and almost every reference to it is basically just some item goes "Yeah there was some land that sucked and everyone forgot about it, btw its king guy sucked too". Meanwhile, everyone loved Dark Souls and never shut up about how much better Dark Souls was; so have more Dark Souls. Places are back, people are back and items are back, straight from your favorite game, Dark Souls. But it kind of falls flat because the game starts to struggle to actually carve out a niche of its own; the weapon arts and stuff don't really leave enough of an impression outside of a handful of them, and removing power stance and the framework 2 started for dual wielding strips down weapon choice again, which is a shame because playing around with 2's dual wielding mechanics was really fun. But 3 takes it a step further with the items.

One thing 2 did that made it different from the first game was its weapon variation. Even in the main weapon categories and archetypes, there were a ton of weapons in Dark Souls 2 that had one off gimmicks, styles and tricks you didn't see in many, or any, other weapons; and most of them weren't even boss weapons. Sure, a lot of them got lost in the obsessive min-max optimization of meta seeking gameplay the PVP crowd loved, but there were always a ton of unique weapons to play around with so you could make basically any build you wanted and hyper specialize in whatever play style you wanted in 2. Then 3 hits and all of that unique flair is mostly gone. There are precious few weapons with unique gimmicks or move sets, and what few weapons have unique or cool weapon arts are pretty sparse, most of them limited to self-buffs that don't stack with the buffing items or spells, and most of them are boss weapons. Not to mention that even outside of non-unique weapons, the amount of variety is incredibly narrow, most weapons within any given category have the same weapon art and usually have very similar scaling, to such a degree that weapon choice and variety feels incredibly linear compared, again, to dark souls 2 where the upgrade system meant you could do some wild things with your weapons, like getting 100% damage in almost any type with specific weapons and upgrade choices. Now, because most weapons have the same attack patterns, damages and are pretty much interchangeable outside of base values and the occasional elemental variant even weapon choice comes down to just getting the strongest version of whatever you want with build diversity barely mattering beyond whether you want to be strength, dex, int or faith focused.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

oldpainless posted:

Uninstalled wolfenstein Youngblood. These guns don’t do poo poo and these enemies take loving forever to kill. Life is too short to waste and we need to make the most of it.

oldpainless posted:

Starting my 6th dark souls play through and lost izalith is still unforgivable

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

That’s probably the joke but honestly a 6th playthrough of Dark Souls really is a better use of your time than playing any of the new Wolfensteins post-TNO

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The only part of Anri’s quest I’ve ever had trouble with is the weird part at the end where if you’re not going for the Usurper ending or whatever, you have to kill a random statue that’s actually a loving assassin and there’s literally no indication of it at all.

The real things that drag DS3 down for me are the Pontiff boss fight, which I’ve never been able to do without summoning, and the lack of Bloodborne style Chalice Dungeons.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

it's like the new star wars trilogy but with the quality installments reversed

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's like the new star wars trilogy but with the quality installments reversed

you don't even have to reverse the quality if you look at it like DS1 = OT, DS2 = PT, DS3 = ST

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

you don't even have to reverse the quality if you look at it like DS1 = OT, DS2 = PT, DS3 = ST
yeah that actually works pretty well. Even down to the original getting a strikingly ugly remaster, the middle being an interesting failure with a lot of ambition and ideas, and the last being an enjoyable but rehashed attempt to capture the original magic by doing all the same stuff again

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Dark Souls 2 is a good game that does a lot of things far better than the rest of the series, comparing it to the Prequels is ridiculous.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

John Murdoch posted:

Most of the complaints people have about the second game are the exact same complaints I had about the first game. :shrug:

I really wanted to like New Blood, and I'm thinking of trying it again since it does get a lot of praise. I was hoping that maybe I was just not playing to its strengths the first time, and if I approached it differently, I'd have fun. But I'm curious if people had the same bad experience as me, meaning that maybe it did have legit issues that I'm just not compatible with and I should just move on.

It's been awhile, but the general impression I remember was that combat was very frustrating. Usually to balance things, the hero is given fast, hitscan weapons, while the enemies are given slow projectile-based weapons. This allows the player to avoid damage by clever, skillful movement while blasting away. You could also have enemies with hitscan, but slow turning that can't keep up with a players fast movement or something: there are many ways to design satisfying combat. For my gameplay however, it felt like the enemies were always locked on to me with perfect accuracy, turning fights into a slog where we are just whittling each others health down with no ability for outplay (especially for the bullet sponge mechs). Maybe I wasn't using the health pack/overcharge system effectively; I remember being annoyed having to juggle that health ticking down. A lot of people seem to advise playing on easy to have a better 'power-trip' experience, which is what I was considering.

In addition to the gameplay, I felt like the game was pumping the breaks constantly whenever I was getting into it by forcing you to watch a cutscene or walk around and listen to people talk. Thinking about it, it also pumped the breaks in combat as well by forcing you to manually pick up items instead of auto-pickup, which was strange to get used to.

Another minor niggle I had, which is a silly one, I'll admit, but kinda killed the experience, is the feedback of gunshots. Bullets hitting enemies, even human ones, kept registering with metallic sounds and sparks: where's the splotches, blood and gibs? I know the enemy was wearing a helmet when I headshot him, but the bullet went through the helmet and killed him, so why am I hearing an unsatisfying metallic ptang like the bullet was blocked?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dash Rendar posted:

Demonses's Souls has my favouritr obtuse quest line bullshit: World Tendency.

Some of the quests are bizarre too, like the whole rigamarole you have to go through to meet Mephistopholes, but World Tendency was annoying as hell. It was easy to have screwed up unless you played offline, in which case you had to play a specific way to have it go one way or the other. But of course, you needed specific Tendencies to access certain NPCs, loot, phantoms, and side areas.

DS is lucky that I dug its aesthetic so much.

I think the only times I actually saw the pure white/black world tendency stuff was when they just set everyone's game to that for Halloween or Valentine's day or whatever.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The Moon Monster posted:

I think the only times I actually saw the pure white/black world tendency stuff was when they just set everyone's game to that for Halloween or Valentine's day or whatever.

Pure black is easy to reach, since if you die while not not...phantomed, or whatever the version of hollowing is in Demon's Souls, the tendency moves towards black.

Pure white is loving hard, however, since there are much fewer ways to raise the tendency, and none of them are repeatable.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DS2 is way better in every regard than BB and DS3 except graphics and netcode (which still sucks a lot in 3 lol)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Morpheus posted:

Pure black is easy to reach, since if you die while not not...phantomed, or whatever the version of hollowing is in Demon's Souls, the tendency moves towards black.

Pure white is loving hard, however, since there are much fewer ways to raise the tendency, and none of them are repeatable.

In my experience the only way to reliably get pure white was to play offline, kill your human form in the Nexus every time you have it (so playing at half to 3/4s health depending on rings or character tendency) and then beat all the world bosses. Usually that would be enough.

Then use your stones of ephemeral eyes to get your body back and repeatedly suicide to get pure black. That way you could get most everything.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 18:18 on Feb 19, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

DS2 is way better in every regard than BB
:stonk:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am a big DS2 fan and BB is far and away better IMO.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I like the world design and exploring and the look is bosses in the souls games.

But I don't have it in me to actually play them anymore because the bosses aren't fun challenging to me and they outweigh everything else

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I’m playing DS2 (well, SotFS) pretty much blind whenever I can stream for my Souls obsessed buddies and I can tell it has some interesting ideas but so far (the first hour or two) it feels like a weird third person King’s Field, even more than Demon’s Souls did.

The first area with the obligatory tutorial messages is some stupid Rayman 2 lookin’ poo poo, though. Hideous and very gamey.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dark Souls 2 is a very ugly game that could have been very good looking. Honestly that's what drags it down the most for me, the animations feel too fluid and weightless and the lighting and textures are just.. PS2-quality in many places.

https://twitter.com/Stayd3D/status/1223701837959680000?s=20

However, thanks to the massive jump in modding capability in the past few years, someone is fixing it!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

I’m playing DS2 (well, SotFS) pretty much blind whenever I can stream for my Souls obsessed buddies and I can tell it has some interesting ideas but so far (the first hour or two) it feels like a weird third person King’s Field, even more than Demon’s Souls did.

The first area with the obligatory tutorial messages is some stupid Rayman 2 lookin’ poo poo, though. Hideous and very gamey.

SotFS is weird because a lot of it feels like 2 steps forward 2 steps back. Some areas got significant improvements, but then they also made some areas (Iron Keep) a lot worse.

2 is my favorite of the trilogy but Bloodborne is better.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't mind the animations at all, but the lighting is super hosed up

I didn't have any real problems with Iron Keep in SOTFS; if anything them charging forward got me through it quicker

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't mind the animations at all, but the lighting is super hosed up

I didn't have any real problems with Iron Keep in SOTFS; if anything them charging forward got me through it quicker

Not sure what you mean about "them charging forward". I just meant that it seemed like they added 150% or so more knights so the entire place feels like a giant monster closet.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In vanilla DS2 the Alonne Knights hanging around wait their turn so you can pick them off one at a time and "disarm" the first few rooms. In SOTFS they're scripted to all rush you at once so you end up with at least 3 coming out of a room right at you.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I never played the vanilla version but SotfS was bad enough for me to drop the series. It felt like someone who had only heard how Dark Souls is hard but never actually played it was in charge so they just piled as much bullshit as they could.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

sotfs is like a weird romhack of the game and the iron keep room is the most hilarious example of that

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah basically whoever retuned the maps did so from the perspective of "well everyone who plays SotFS obviously has played the original to death so lets turn it up to 11 to surprise them." The net effect is it is tough for people who beat the original and absolutely unforgiving for anyone else. Calling it a romhack is pretty spot on.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the writing also changes from opaque nonsense to opaque nonsense where a new character periodically zaps himself into the plot to lecture you about themes that the developers totally meant to include all along

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

the writing also changes from opaque nonsense to opaque nonsense where a new character periodically zaps himself into the plot to lecture you about themes that the developers totally meant to include all along

It mostly was

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Yeah basically whoever retuned the maps did so from the perspective of "well everyone who plays SotFS obviously has played the original to death so lets turn it up to 11 to surprise them." The net effect is it is tough for people who beat the original and absolutely unforgiving for anyone else. Calling it a romhack is pretty spot on.

There are mods that overhaul each of the games, mixing up enemy placements and paths etc. The biggest problem is that the dude who made the DS2 one called it "Auger of Darkness" and not "Scholar of the Second Sin"

Actually I have no idea what the First Sin was. Gwyn linking the fire I guess?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There are mods that overhaul each of the games, mixing up enemy placements and paths etc. The biggest problem is that the dude who made the DS2 one called it "Auger of Darkness" and not "Scholar of the Second Sin"

I took it to mean Wanting/identity/fire yeah

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Youtube's algorithm really wants me to watch this video called "the first sin explained" by that guy who talks about Dark Souls lore while weeping. Not gonna do it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

releasing the game the first time around!!!! wahey!!!!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

The Moon Monster posted:

Youtube's algorithm really wants me to watch this video called "the first sin explained" by that guy who talks about Dark Souls lore while weeping. Not gonna do it.

Vaatyvidia? It's hilarious especially if he tries that with some of the dumber poo poo in those games. I love him. He's very on brand with the franchise

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

Dark Souls 2 is different from Dark Souls even on a mechanical level and it doesn't want you to slowly creep through its stages with high poise armor and a shield up constantly because that's the lamest way to play these games and even Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 agrees on that front, evidently. 2's approach was to make enemies more aggressive and set up a lot more traps and force players to be more reactive and proactive in dealing with enemies, rather than just slowly pick away at things from safety. Enemies don't usually, if ever, spawn in out of nowhere; they rush in through doors, hop down off of ledges or climb ladders. In most cases you have the means to see this and spot their positioning beforehand, and even if you don't - walking into a room, getting spotted once and swarmed will make it obvious that there's a bunch of dudes and that just bumbling through that open door leads to that if you don't watch out.

One of my favorite parts in scholar is one of the earlier stages where there's one of those rooms with a bunch of dudes that swarm you from all over; but there's also exploding barrels that you've seen light up with fire because enemies in that same stage use them against you if they can. So the smart thing is to just throw a firebomb and take care of them all. But so many people, instead, just roll into the room, take out the barrels, and a second later get ganked by a bunch of clanky dudes in armor.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dark Souls 2 is a good game but still the worst of the 5.

Like I know it had a huge deal about how the lighting system changed so it looks worse but even with that it just looks more generic than the others. Like all the little touches that give them their charm in the environments and such just are missing a bunch.

oldpainless has a new favorite as of 02:05 on Feb 20, 2020

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CJacobs posted:

In vanilla DS2 the Alonne Knights hanging around wait their turn so you can pick them off one at a time and "disarm" the first few rooms. In SOTFS they're scripted to all rush you at once so you end up with at least 3 coming out of a room right at you.

I guess that makes them Togetther knights

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tunicate posted:

I guess that makes them Togetther knights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

oldpainless posted:

Dark Souls 2 is a good game but still the worst of the 5.

Like I know it had a huge deal about how the lighting system changed so it looks worse but even with that it just looks more generic than the others. Like all the little touches that give them their charm in the environments and such just are missing a bunch.

Demons and Dark souls had a lot of just straight up empty rooms, yo. This kind of thing was said a lot before 3 came out even and it's always been tiresome. 2 certainly wasn't ever going to win any awards for style or level design, but people acting like the previous game were way more detailed than it is right up there with "B Team!" for things that people say just to poo poo on the game.